Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Christmas schedules

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

You do know the Daily Mail hates the BBC, right? :D:);)

I do. But, it's difficult to disagree with them on this one.

Needless to say, I came across the DM article through a Google search; I'm not a regular reader!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Is there any reason why the terrestrial channels overlap the same movies.

Its more noticable at xmas.

Are film studios / distributors selective on the selection of available choices of are they so cheap the purchase them together?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Seany81

and the only reason fair city is on for an hour on Christmas day is that they ll cut one eposide that week god rte are mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

I guess we'll be having "Love Actually" one of these weeks seeing as "The Holiday " has already been on. Not to mention every Christmas themed movie that Tim Allen (the American one) ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Does anyone know if that Dermot Morgan documentary will be on Christmas Day, about the only thing on of any interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

My Christmas Day\evening is normally used up watching newly acquired box-sets so no skin of my nose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It is interesting to note that both of the last two Harry Potter Movies will air both on RTE and ITV.

But, other than that, what a poor line-up for Christmas TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

Xenji wrote: »
    Does anyone know if that Dermot Morgan documentary will be on Christmas Day, about the only thing on of any interest.

Dermot Morgan - Fearless Funnyman is on RTÉ One at 21:30 on Friday 27th December.

A selection of Dermot Morgan's family, friends, colleagues and admirers, including Pat Shortt, Oliver Callan and Pauline Mc Lynn, look back on the life of the comedian, writer, satirist and actor whose savage wit belied a caring nature and reflect on his place in the annals of comedy greats.
    (Subtitles)

Taken from DigiGuide

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I really dont get people who cut themselves off from the world on Christmas Day by watching DVDs and boxsets - part of the experience is enjoying (and enduring) festive editions of normal shows, the big movies and whatever other Christmasy stuff is on. Sure, in this day and age we've seen most of the movies already but I just think it's part of the ritual.

Anyhow, a quick scan of the RTE guide and I can safely declare that RTE are hands down the winners when it comes to film choices. TV3 on the other hand...

On RTE we have bona-fide classics such as:

The Sting
    Babe
    Scrooged
    Galipolli
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Blues Brothers
    Once Upon a Time in America
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    All the Indiana Jones movies
    It's a Wonderful life
    E.T
    Die Hard
    Inside Man
    Marnie
    High Society
    Superman
    Unforgiven
    Airplane
    Apocolypse Now
    The French Connection 1 & 2
    Dirty Harry
    Scent of a Woman
    Barry Lyndon

A selection of premieres/recent films:

Fantastic Mr Fox
    Superbad
    Shrek Forever after
    The final Harry Potter films
    The Dark Knight
    Bridesmaids
    Tangled
    The Guard
    The Social Network
    Moneyball
    The latest Pirates of the Caribean
    King Fu Panda 2
    Quantum of Solace
    Paranormal Activity 2
    Bounty Hunter
    Coraline
    Tron Legacy
    Blades of Glory
    Robin Hood
    Kick-Ass
    Sherlock Holmes

and tonnes of 'meh' movies:
    Spiderman 3
    The Firm
    The Perfect Strom

and so on... (I honestly tired myself out typing this)

Not all to my taste but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a terestrial network anywhere in the world with such a decent selection for Christmas. TV3's Christmas Day movie is Lethal Weapon 4 btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

No worse than I was expecting tbh but was hoping for the Back to the Future Trilogy (yeah again), Groundhog Day and The Muppets Christmas Carol. Hopefully TV3 & TG4 have a bit too.
    Surprised they have so little stuff for the kids, when I was growing up I remember getting up at 6 or that and they'd already have The Den on. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

A Disgrace wrote: »
    I can safely declare that RTE are hands down the winners when it comes to film choices. TV3 on the other hand...

To be fair, beating the other Irish channels at film choices for Christmas is not the most difficult task for the folks at Montrose.

TV3's Christmas Day movie is Lethal Weapon 4 btw...

And in their press release, they actually say "all our favourite Christmas Classic movies including Lethal Weapon 4"...

double_facepalm.pngbanging-head.jpgfuuu.jpg

Lethal Weapon 4 was released in July of 1998 in the US, and in September of that year in the UK and Ireland.

So I think there's a much stronger case for it being a summer film...

And in any case, it's not a classic. Indeed, it received mixed reviews from critics, and it even received a Razzie nomination (for Worst Supporting Actor for Joe Pesci).

Jeff Ford really is no better than Ben Frow, is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

This Christmas most kids will see Pesci in Home Alone whereas adults might watch him in Goodfellas.
    Don't remember him telling Muchauley to go fúck his mother in the Home Alone though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What's the rte film on christmas day??
    Plus bbc?

Agree with the poster, would LOoOOOOOvvvveeee back to the future x3. I'd skyplus them and then watch them all in one day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

amdublin wrote: »
    Plus bbc?

Agree with the poster, would LOoOOOOOvvvveeee back to the future x3. I'd skyplus them and then watch them all in one day :D

Bridesmaids is on 22.05 on RTE One. There's no evening films on BBC One, but Toy Story 3 is on at 15.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Plus bbc?

Sky Movies have the rights to it at the moment, unfortunately

http://www.locatetv.com/movie/back-to-the-future#17-Dec-2013

I expect there will be huge Back To The Future coverage in 2015. It's the year Marty went to when he travelled into the future :eek: Where's my Hoverbike? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Die Hard. 12.15.

It don't get much better than that.

:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A Disgrace wrote: »
    I really dont get people who cut themselves off from the world on Christmas Day by watching DVDs and boxsets - part of the experience is enjoying (and enduring) festive editions of normal shows, the big movies and whatever other Christmasy stuff is on. Sure, in this day and age we've seen most of the movies already but I just think it's part of the ritual.

Anyhow, a quick scan of the RTE guide and I can safely declare that RTE are hands down the winners when it comes to film choices. TV3 on the other hand...

On RTE we have bona-fide classics such as:

The Sting
    Babe
    Scrooged
    Galipolli
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Blues Brothers
    Once Upon a Time in America
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    All the Indiana Jones movies
    It's a Wonderful life
    E.T
    Die Hard
    Inside Man
    Marnie
    High Society
    Superman
    Unforgiven
    Airplane
    Apocolypse Now
    The French Connection 1 & 2
    Dirty Harry
    Scent of a Woman
    Barry Lyndon

A selection of premieres/recent films:

Fantastic Mr Fox
    Superbad
    Shrek Forever after
    The final Harry Potter films
    The Dark Knight
    Bridesmaids
    Tangled
    The Guard
    The Social Network
    Moneyball
    The latest Pirates of the Caribean
    King Fu Panda 2
    Quantum of Solace
    Paranormal Activity 2
    Bounty Hunter
    Coraline
    Tron Legacy
    Blades of Glory
    Robin Hood
    Kick-Ass
    Sherlock Holmes

and tonnes of 'meh' movies:
    Spiderman 3
    The Firm
    The Perfect Strom

and so on... (I honestly tired myself out typing this)

Not all to my taste but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a terestrial network anywhere in the world with such a decent selection for Christmas. TV3's Christmas Day movie is Lethal Weapon 4 btw...

While I agree the list of movies there is good - the "premier" or new movies has films in it from 2007. And they showed Avatar last year too. On RTE2 HD. But they showed it in standard definition.

Advertisement