Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University of Limerick

Options
  • 24-10-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

I feel there's a bit of a superior attitude from students of UL. In fact, it's not just the students, it's anyone associated with UL. Am I the only one who feels that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yes, I would think so. 5 years spent there, and I never felt superior to anyone else. In fact, in hindsight, I should have gone to LIT and done a more practical course, which would have prepared me for life. But, hey! That's just me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I agree with you Oracle. A friend of mine started working there recently and has certainly developed an 'attitude'. Loves to put me down at every opportunity and point out that because I don't have a masters and a PHD, I'm obviously thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thats an awful, big, stupid statement to make. I think you are the one with the attitude, and you know what they say about glasshouses and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

I for one studied in UL and feel I don't have an attitude.

But I dislike the local peasants visiting the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Sounds like jealousy to me in a subconcious way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 limeric

Ya thats so true i have an attitude ever since i came to UL..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I agree with you Oracle. A friend of mine started working there recently and has certainly developed an 'attitude'. Loves to put me down at every opportunity and point out that because I don't have a masters and a PHD, I'm obviously thick.

Is this person a lecturer out here in UL? If so, he/she should cope themselves on.

Some of the staff here have an attitude that its ok for them to drive into college but not the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

It is a sad fact that large percentage of 1st year UL Students are there to pay a hefty years fees and be kicked out in June - The official line will be that they didn't 'apply themselves' or whatever else is handy but the reality is that if they did theoretically make it into second year the places just simply wouldn't exist - Hence a little bit of culling in the Flock......

- Thems Fountains and 'Mushroom' Buildings that pop-up overnight don't pay for themselves you know ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Oracle wrote: »
    I feel there's a bit of a superior attitude from students of UL. In fact, it's not just the students, it's anyone associated with UL. Am I the only one who feels that?

Slightly vague post there Oracle. Who exactly do you believe the students/staff feel superior to? Students of the other colleges in Limerick? Munster? Ireland?
    In what way do they believe they are better- academics, sport, extracurricular? Please explain a little more, otherwise this is just a rubbish sweeping statement.

By the way- I have no connection to UL, I only moved to Limerick earlier this year. I've been considering further education there but would be interested to know some more about this "attitude". Couldn't possibly much worse than where I went to college

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Raiser wrote: »
    It is a sad fact that large percentage of 1st year UL Students are there to pay a hefty years fees and be kicked out in June - The official line will be that they didn't 'apply themselves' or whatever else is handy but the reality is that if they did theoretically make it into second year the places just simply wouldn't exist - Hence a little bit of culling in the Flock......

- Thems Fountains and 'Mushroom' Buildings that pop-up overnight don't pay for themselves you know ;)

You know they make money from having more students right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

YFlyer wrote: »
    Is this person a lecturer out here in UL? If so, he/she should cope themselves on.

Some of the staff here have an attitude that its ok for them to drive into college but not the students.

Yes, that person is a lecturer.

Must be the affects of living in an ivory tower ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

YFlyer wrote: »

yeah I work in UL and I have a problem with many (but not all!) students who drive to college. Traffic is bad enough without the lazy bastards driving in from college court!

I don't have an attitude though :;)

I would even say that both staff and students that live in Cois Ghruda and Brookfield Hall or up by the Parkway could even walk in. Sure you even be passing out the cars while walking in at 8.30 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

This is exactly the kind of thing I mean. People are fine before they enter UL, but once they start working or studying in UL a strange superior attitude develops. I'm not sure what its about or where it comes from, it affects both students and staff.

I'm not saying everyone in UL is like this, although its the vast majority I've met. In addition, no offence to current or past, students or employees, but I think you might not be the best judges of how your institution comes across to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

This is exactly the kind of thing I mean. People are fine before they enter UL, but once they start working or studying in UL a strange superior attitude develops. I'm not sure what its about or where it comes from, it affects both students and staff.

I'm not saying everyone in UL is like this, although its the vast majority I've met. In addition, no offence to current or past, students or employees, but I think you might not be the best judges of how your institution comes across to others.
    Is this specifically UL or 3rd Level Institutions in general?

Disagree completely too, UL seems so down to earth (as a Student there).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

neil_ wrote: »

You know they make money from having more students right?

You know it takes more than one academic year to earn a Degree right?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Your argument isn't really setting my world alight, to be fair you're not doing yourself any favours here. Rather than posting a logical outline of what you believe is happening, or any examples you just seem to be venting.

As I said, I'd love to know more about what you perceive to be the "superior attitude". Is it more prevalent within any particular school/discipline? How does it manifest itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

You know there are about 12,000 students there a year, minus employees, so thats an awful big generalisation.

As asked before, can you explain what you are talking about? What has exactly happened that you dislike UL/UL current/past students/current/past employees there?

Maybe you are bitter. You are very evasive or cant answer the question, maybe you couldnt or werent able to enter a third level (hows that for a big, generalised, ****ty statement for ya ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

You know it takes more than one academic year to earn a Degree right?

I don't get it, you said...

- Thems Fountains and 'Mushroom' Buildings that pop-up overnight don't pay for themselves you know wink.gif

...the implication being that they somehow make more money off kicking people out after 1st year than they would if those students stayed on, which simply isn't true. Obviously they expect a certain dropout/failure rate and if that isn't met it costs UL money to provide education for the students that were expected to drop out but didn't, but if that was happening consistently they would simply lower their expected dropout rate, because they make money by having more students.

Maybe what you said does happen to some extent but it certainly doesn't happen to a "large percentage of 1st year UL Students" and it isn't some conspiracy to get them money for "fountains and mushroom buildings". Clearly someone who knows more about it than anyone on this board thinks that those things do pay for themselves otherwise they wouldn't be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

dellas1979 wrote: »
    You know there are about 12,000 students there a year, minus employees, so thats an awful big generalisation.

As far as I know it's closer to 13k! And over 3000 staff.

And believe it or not, the attitude people in college have came from what seondary school they went to.

There are always schools in an area that will look down on others.

I think people call us snobby just coz our students don't go around with trackie bottoms tucked into our socks...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jesus Christ.

To be short about it; I've never seen such a load of shite in all my life OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

neo2010 wrote: »
    I for one studied in UL and feel I don't have an attitude.

But I dislike the local peasants visiting the campus.

I feel your pain, it was terrible when I wsa there, clogging up the air and stuff.... they should all be taxed at the gates and pay a deposit to leave by 5...

The new bridge is also to blame, bringing a few more in from the Clare side...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Yes I concur.

The surrounding populace consists of hillbillys, yokels and undesirables.

Its amazing our beautiful campus isn't overrun with caravans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 davbr08

As a graduate of UL I think every UL student should be proud of what they have achieved coming out of UL.

My boss thinks that every UL Student hes ever met has been exceptional. If only he know that we spent more time in the Lodge than the Library he wouldnt think the same.

UL- The University of Life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

davbr08 wrote: »
    As a graduate of UL I think every UL student should be proud of what they have achieved coming out of UL.

My boss thinks that every UL Student hes ever met has been exceptional. If only he know that we spent more time in the Lodge than the Library he wouldnt think the same.

UL- The University of Life
    Shill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

31565d1270489092-little-known-facts-regarding-world-war-2-holy-thread-resurrection.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm leaving this one open for the laugh. Fire away lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Well its a generalisation for sure, but I think we've all met someone who adopts a superior attitude once they've been to university, not just UL.

Its naivety really, as every Joe in the street goes to college now and degrees have become worthless. If any of today's students are lucky enough to find a job, they'll soon find out how meaningless their degrees are and the sense of superiority will soon erode away into bitter dispair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

BESman wrote: »
    Its naivety really, as every Joe in the street goes to college now and degrees have become worthless. If any of today's students are lucky enough to find a job, they'll soon find out how meaningless their degrees are and the sense of superiority will soon erode away into bitter dispair.
    Barney.jpg
    ;););););)

Advertisement