Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QCA & Repating!

Options
  • 27-02-2011 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey I'm just wondering if u dont dont reach your 2.0 qca at the end of the year what happpens? have you to repeat the whole year and every subject and pay a fee of 8,000€ or what happens?
    My QCA is a pathetic 1.6 after my first semester in college.
    What do i need to pass the year what grades? & is it possible?
    p.s iv no repeats iv 2 d2's tho.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Your QCA for the full year needs to be 4.00 or higher (2 semesters put together). So you need to get a 2.4 this semester. However, because your current QCA is below 2.00 you need to repeat the 2 D2's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 YesBoi

How come people i know who got d's and got below the qca of 2 didn have to repeat them?? No one actually knows what happens urrrgh!! im sure if i get a qca of 2.4 this semester i pass the year 1.6+2.4/2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Neon Circles that doesnt really make sense.

YesBoi, like you said if you get a QCA of 2.4 or greater this semester, and no F grades, then you will not have to repeat anything. Your QCA for the year will be 2 and you will have no F grades.

You need a QCA of at least 2 and no F grades to be allowed to proceed to the next academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

YesBoi wrote: »
    How come people i know who got d's and got below the qca of 2 didn have to repeat them?? No one actually knows what happens urrrgh!! im sure if i get a qca of 2.4 this semester i pass the year 1.6+2.4/2!

Your spot on! As long as your cumulative QCA (Average of the two semesters) is above 2.0 your find. The D's will go down as compensatory fails.

Obviously any F's have to be repeated no matter what QCA you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 YesBoi

Thanks lads!!
    But what i wanna know is what happens if i dont reach the qca of 2?
    taken all options into consideration.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads!!
    But what i wanna know is what happens if i dont reach the qca of 2?
    taken all options into consideration.

Your allowed a total of 4 repeats, so you've got two D's so far, you can only afford two more D's / F's this semester.

Each repeat exam costs €171 / €172 so if you have to repeat four it will cost four times that.

If you fail a repeat / repeats you can do link-in modules rather than repeating the whole year. Think it cost €200 (might be very wrong with that figure) to do a link-in module.

Not sure how many link-in modules you are allowed to do. Probably two per semester also.

Edit: Here is a link to the UL progression policy. It lists out your options should you fail to make the minimum QCA requirement.

They will have to- well, the way I interpret it anyway

i.e- with a QCA of below 2.00 you will need to repeat compensating fails.

Taken from student handbook

"
    Compensating Fail
    If your QCA is greater or equal to 2.0 and includes D1 and/or D2 grades (compensating fail grades),
    you do not have to repeat the modules for which you got the D1 or D2 grades, i.e. you can proceed to
    the next stage of your programme. The reason for this is that to have achieved a QCA score of 2.0 or
    greater with D1 and/or D2 grades included, you must have done well enough in other modules to
    compensate for the D1/D2 grades. "

They will have to- well, the way I interpret it anyway

i.e- with a QCA of below 2.00 you will need to repeat compensating fails.

Taken from student handbook

"
    Compensating Fail
    If your QCA is greater or equal to 2.0 and includes D1 and/or D2 grades (compensating fail grades),
    you do not have to repeat the modules for which you got the D1 or D2 grades, i.e. you can proceed to
    the next stage of your programme. The reason for this is that to have achieved a QCA score of 2.0 or
    greater with D1 and/or D2 grades included, you must have done well enough in other modules to
    compensate for the D1/D2 grades. "

I think where you are misinterpreting is that student handbook quote is referring to a student's cumulative QCA (which is basically the average QCA across the two semesters) not one semester's QCA.

If you had to repeat because of a low QCA in semester 1, UL would be sending out letters in January telling students they have repeats to do in August which of course they don't.

The only scenario where students get module failure letters in January is if they are going on Co-Op in semester 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

I got a qca of 2.6 at christmas, would a qca of 1.4 be enough to pass the year? Obviously I want to do as best i can, but was just curious how it works out.

mulner92 wrote: »
    I got a qca of 2.6 at christmas, would a qca of 1.4 be enough to pass the year? Obviously I want to do as best i can, but was just curious how it works out.

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to get a QCA of 1.4 without getting an F in something. D's are 1.6, so if you did get 1.4 that would mean you got an F in something so you would have to do the repeat exam for that F.

Remember repeat exams are capped at C3, so passing the repeat exam has to bring your QCA at or above 2.0 otherwise you'd have to repeat a module you got a D in also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

TheTownie wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's not possible to get a QCA of 1.4 without getting an F in something. D's are 1.6, so if you did get 1.4 that would mean you got an F in something so you would have to do the repeat exam for that F.

Remember repeat exams are capped at C3, so passing the repeat exam has to bring your QCA at or above 2.0 otherwise you'd have to repeat a module you got a D in also.

I think a D1 is 1.6, a D2 is 1.2

http://goo.gl/1aun6

mid wrote: »
    I think a D1 is 1.6, a D2 is 1.2

http://goo.gl/1aun6

Well spotted, unfortunately for me I was too lazy to do that simple search. :P

The general idea behind what I was saying remains the same though...

So the simple answer is yes, you can proceed with a QCA of 1.4 in semester 2 having received a QCA of 2.6 in semester 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

No offense to those who have replied, as you have answered the OP's question, but you should have directed them to the questions for the education officer thread, where this question has been asked to death...and tbh OP, a simple search would have helped without the need for endless replies to this topic.

Mossin wrote: »
    No offense to those who have replied, as you have answered the OP's question, but you should have directed them to the questions for the education officer thread, where this question has been asked to death...and tbh OP, a simple search would have helped without the need for endless replies to this topic.

I understand where your coming from Mossin, I never hesitate to refer people to the Education Officer thread, but in this instance its a straight forward question with a straight forward answer.

Of course one or two replies have not been accurate hence why I gave a link to the official progression policy page which just confirms the points I made.

In a perfect world people could just look for a similar question in the Education Officer thread or a simple google search but we all know thats not how people operate and repetitive questions, rightly or wrongly, are part & parcel of the UL thread.

We all have the best of intentions anyway so I have no problem with this thread. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mini Mini

Hi :)
    I was wondering if you get over 4 Ds in the 2 semesters in 1st year but still have a QCA over 2.0, would you be able to proceed on to the next year?

Mini Mini wrote: »
    I was wondering if you get over 4 Ds in the 2 semesters in 1st year but still have a QCA over 2.0, would you be able to proceed on to the next year?

Once your QCA is above 2.0 you can progress. You will be given the option to clear the D's (but the max you can get in a repeat is a C3).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mini Mini

thank for that :)
    but what happens if you get 4 Ds and one F but your QCA is still over 2? Do you just repeat the F?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

thank for that :)
    but what happens if you get 4 Ds and one F but your QCA is still over 2? Do you just repeat the F?

You'll have to repeat the F. The D's will be optional repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    You'll have to repeat the F. The D's will be optional repeats.

An option not many will take seen as the grades are wiped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Jester252 wrote: »
    An option not many will take seen as the grades are wiped

They don't count towards your final QCA and award but they're still on your transcript.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Cossax wrote: »
    They don't count towards your final QCA and award but they're still on your transcript.

Which can be important when going for co-op.

Having 4 D's on your transcript might not give the best impression...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think there is some rule that you can only sit a max of 3 repeats in one year. I'm not certain about that though

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

If you have a QCA of over 2.0 you can proceed with optional repeats I.e your D's.
    max repeats for any semester is two up to a max of four for the year. For instance if you fail 3 in first semester of 3 rd year and go on to do your coop you will have to return to complete first semester in third year again you can't progress to 4th but you dont have to do coop again effectively sitting out from December til the following September

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Agent_99 wrote: »
    If you have a QCA of over 2.0 you can proceed with optional repeats I.e your D's.
    max repeats for any semester is two up to a max of four for the year. For instance if you fail 3 in first semester of 3 rd year and go on to do your coop you will have to return to complete first semester in third year again you can't progress to 4th but you dont have to do coop again effectively sitting out from December til the following September

You can repeat 4 in any full year (ie not on co op). It doesn't matter if it's 4 from semester 1 and 0 from semester 2 or vice versa. It's only when you're on co op for one semester that you can only repeat the 2 from the semester you were in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

yesno1234 wrote: »
    You can repeat 4 in any full year (ie not on co op). It doesn't matter if it's 4 from semester 1 and 0 from semester 2 or vice versa. It's only when you're on co op for one semester that you can only repeat the 2 from the semester you were in college.

If you fail a repeat while on coop (like I am from June through February), does your Coop immediately end and must you repeat the year for that single module? Or will the module be carried on into next year first semester for a link-in?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Gumbi wrote: »
    If you fail a repeat while on coop (like I am from June through February), does your Coop immediately end and must you repeat the year for that single module? Or will the module be carried on into next year first semester for a link-in?

Thanks!

I think that you can finish your Coop but you will have to do that module as a link in during Semester 1 so you won't be able to progress to the next year.
    I'm not 100% certain on that though.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I think that you can finish your Coop but you will have to do that module as a link in during Semester 1 so you won't be able to progress to the next year.
    I'm not 100% certain on that though.

So I'd miss a year basically? That sucks :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Why does it suck? The consequences of repeating are well known and outlined in the student handbook. If you don't want to fall foul of it, put in the work first time around!

Chimaera wrote: »
    Why does it suck? The consequences of repeating are well known and outlined in the student handbook. If you don't want to fall foul of it, put in the work first time around!

I thought if a module isn't "critical" you may be able to do a link-in that semester? For example, I can do a link-in of that module while finishing my coop (which I am currently 3 months into doing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Is it a core module or an elective?

Advertisement