Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper alternative to 1890 numbers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

48 charge 58c per min for 1890... numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Financial Services Ombudsman 1890882090
    Call Instead – 016620899

That one made me larf.... only in ireland!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    1850 numbers are always a fixed price regardless of duration. 1890 numbers are always charged per minute.

The cost of calling a 1890 number is split between the company and the phone service provider. That is why so many companies use them, they actually get paid for taking your call. Perhaps this explains why you have to listen to five minutes of bull from most IVR systems before they will let you speak to a human.

Breakdown of 1890 call costs from various networks here
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-much-do-calls-to-1890-numbers-cost.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Can you all lob a complaint into Comreg - at least letting them know that you're annoyed about it wouldn't be a bad thing as they're probably mostly getting feedback from the industry rather than consumers.

Consumerline@comreg.ie

It's an absolute pain in the rear that the landline and mobile providers are allowed to treat 0818, 1890 and 1850 as outside your bundle given that the calls cost no more to process in reality.

Also, a lot of them exclude calls to 076 VoIP numbers which is utterly ridiculous.

A lot of companies use those 0818 and 1890/1850 numbers because they make sending calls into a call centre system a lot easier as you can do all sorts of fancy routing and it creates an impression of scale and you can get memorable numbers etc and keep them should you move your call centre around.

Sometimes they may terminate on real geographic numbers, but these days that's not necessarily the case as the network's quite sophisticated and doesn't need to map everything to geographic numbers, so it's quite possible there is no alternative numbers for some services.

Also, radio stations and other services likely to cause 'bursty traffic' are obliged to use those numbers to prevent issues with congestion on exchanges.

1850 / 1890 71X XXX is reserved for that purpose, so the exchange systems can be programmed to prioritise other traffic if there's a capacity issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

My Eircom package doesn't include 1890 numbers, and I call 01 404 4000 for when using Banking 365 to ensure that it is covered by my free calls package.....

Could we have a sticky on this board for low-cost alternative numbers and update it with numbers we use to avoid expensive calls?

Stickie might be a good idea. I don't know if the website is kept up to date all that well. I'll e-mailed the site moderator with two landline numbers before but he never updated them.

Glohealth: 01 9602807

I can't recall what the other one was now.

Edie: The other was Aviva. Couldn't get them on the old number he had but if you call the claims line 01 8986400 you'll get an office that will re-direct you. At least that worked for me. I recall there were only a handful of people in that office. I can imagine their puzzlement if the phone starts hopping off the hook :D

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

it is unacceptable that government/public bodies offer only 1890 numbers - it is fine to offer them but there should always be a landline too. for instance the local property tax number is 1890 and the queue to be answered is more than 30 minutes! Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭stan 117

this should be a sticky..

mari2222 wrote: »
    it is unacceptable that government/public bodies offer only 1890 numbers - it is fine to offer them but there should always be a landline too. for instance the local property tax number is 1890 and the queue to be answered is more than 30 minutes! Madness!

Don't even bother trying to call them when it's busy - it will cost you more in phone bills than any interest they try to add on if you are a few weeks late.
    If you email them with a genuine query before the deadline you will be treated as having complied with their requirements on time, as long as you file the 2014 return promptly when the query is resolved.

There is an alternative number and email address here ... http://www.moneyguideireland.com/property-tax-email-address-and-phone-number.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Ogham wrote: »
    Don't even bother trying to call them when it's busy - it will cost you more in phone bills than any interest they try to add on if you are a few weeks late.
    If you email them with a genuine query before the deadline you will be treated as having complied with their requirements on time, as long as you file the 2014 return promptly when the query is resolved.

There is an alternative number and email address here ... http://www.moneyguideireland.com/property-tax-email-address-and-phone-number.html

Some will be too lazy to click and start complaining. For all you:

Property Tax Email Address : lpt@revenue.ie

Property Tax Phone Number : 1890 200 255
    From Outside Ireland Call 00353 1 7023049

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ian010

The UK government has recently banned itself from using non-geographic 0845 "local rate" and 0870 "national rate" numbers. As happens with the similar 1890 and 0818 numbers in Ireland, these are not included in call bundles and are expensive to call from mobile phones. Other expensive, non-inclusive, 084 and 087 numbers exist in the UK but the government itself rarely used any of those. Most government phone lines are now using cheaper 030 or 034 numbers.

As a result of Article 21 of the EU Consumer Rights Directive, a new law comes into force in the UK on 13 June 2014. This effectively bans retailers, traders and passenger transport companies from using expensive and non-inclusive 084, 087 and 09 numbers for their customer service lines. Tens of thousands of companies are now in the process of moving to new 033, 034 and 037 numbers. Some switched months ago, but many have left it until the final week.

These new 03 numbers always cost the same as calling standard 01 and 02 geographic numbers and count towards inclusive call allowances on landlines and on mobiles. Ofcom first made them available in 2007.

Consumers in Ireland have not fared so well. See
    www~boards~ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057224206

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Any alternative to PRTB 0818 30 30 37

One of the issues is that there's often no geographic landline alternative these days.

In the relatively recent past special rate numbers basically all had to route calls to a 'real' geographic 01 or 021 or whatever landline number or range of numbers.

Technology has moved on enormously and what will usually happen these days is a 185X number will be sending calls to a VoIP SIP trunk straight into a call centre. Lines and numbers no longer feature in modern systems really.

0818 is adversltised as being 'national rate'. It shouldn't be legal for any provider to treat that any differently to calls to landlines outside your own area code. They're bundled and free normally.

Its also inexplicable that they're charging huge excesses for calls to 1850 and 1890 when they're advertised as 'local rate'.

The whole way people pay for calls has changed. For most of us 'local rate' is a total irrelevance. The billing either distinguishes landline vs mobile or just has a number of inclusive minutes for everything in the case of most modern mobile plans.

We should probably just have something like

0800 - freephone and diallable from abroad as +353 800 and charged as a normal call to Ireland.

And 0808 - national landline rate, which will be treated as a long distance landline call at all times. This could also be called as +353 808

If they wanted a third layer maybe 0809 charged at mobile rates might make sense for companies like taxies and others who might receive calls on mobiles or may not wish to cost share but want a special number.

The existing codes should be phased out of use over 24 months.

The current model is from 1980s and 1990s Telecom Éireann billing rates that nobody in their right mind is still paying and that made distinctions between local, up to 64km and more than 64 km..

It's nuts to be still using them in an era where the majority of calls come from mobiles using minute bundles and landlines that don't generally make any distinction between local and national anymore.

In fact, we probably no longer even need landline area codes anymore.

Make the whole thing 9-digit.

Dublin 01 999 9999 becomes 319 999 999 (03 is free and spare)

Cork 021 999 9999 becomes 219 999 999

Athlone 090 999 9999 becomes 909 999 999

Meanwhile mobiles would just all start with 8

08X 999 9999 becomes 8x9 999 999

Then you'd have more ability to not run out of local numbers as you'd be less tied down. You'd get rid of the whole obsolete confusion with dropping the 0 after the 353

And you could retain the old 0xx dialling system along side it for a couple of years for a gentle phase in because they don't clash at all thus minimising disruption and also solving Dublin's number shortages.

Northern Ireland did something like this as have many of the Nordic countries and also Spain.

Keep things simple and make the numbering more suitable for modern era needs where landlines will largely be irrelevant anyway in a few decades.

It'd also be nice if we just adopted the normal European ring tone. Then people wouldn't be able to tell when I'm on holidays :)

snubbleste wrote: »
    Any alternative to PRTB 0818 30 30 37

TRy 01 8882960 (that might be a very old number )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ogham wrote: »
    TRy 01 8882960 (that might be a very old number )
    That is a very old number in fact it is been re-allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Would anyone have a geographic number for ASUS customer support Ireland?

http://www.asus.com/ie/Terms_of_Use_Notice_Privacy_Policy/Contact_ASUS/

I especially like the "Please note calls to this number will be charged at 8 pence per minute from a standard BT line." bit below the Irish(!) details.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭try

GreenWolfe wrote: »
    Would anyone have a geographic number for ASUS customer support Ireland?

http://www.asus.com/ie/Terms_of_Use_Notice_Privacy_Policy/Contact_ASUS/

I especially like the "Please note calls to this number will be charged at 8 pence per minute from a standard BT line." bit below the Irish(!) details.

Try 00441442 265548

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

try wrote: »
    Try 00441442 265548
    That is a UK number.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    That is a UK number.

Not to mention that +353 1 890 xxxx is actually a local Dublin number.

1890 is not dialable from outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Not to mention that +353 1 890 xxxx is actually a local Dublin number.

1890 is not dialable from outside Ireland.
    1890 calls cost though, while regular landline calls usually do not these days.

[I glean from you previous post that you are very knowledgeable in this field, so please do not take this post as a criticism.]

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

1890 calls cost though, while regular landline calls usually do not these days.

[I glean from you previous post that you are very knowledgeable in this field, so please do not take this post as a criticism.]

That's not what I mean.

They've accidentally listed someone else's 01 Dublin number on their website.

+353 1890 xxx xxx can't be called. You'll get some random person in Swords not the 1890 number ! You'd actually be dialing 00 353 1 890 xxxx which is possibly somebody's house!

It's the really stupid thing about our special rate numbers - they can't be called at all from outside the Irish network because they clash with +353 1 8xx-xxxx regular landline numbers.

Silly system as can be seen from the ASUS website error.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭try

That is a UK number.

OP wanted geo number. ASUS CS was based in UK the last time I called. Many packages include landline calls to UK. I could never find an Irish geo number for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

No worries guys, at least I didn't ring some randomer in Swords!

try wrote: »
    OP wanted geo number. ASUS CS was based in UK the last time I called. Many packages include landline calls to UK. I could never find an Irish geo number for them

There quite likely isn't one. The 1890 would be rerouting to the UK helpline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

SpaceTime wrote: »
    One of the issues is that there's often no geographic landline alternative these days.

In the relatively recent past special rate numbers basically all had to route calls to a 'real' geographic 01 or 021 or whatever landline number or range of numbers.

Technology has moved on enormously and what will usually happen these days is a 185X number will be sending calls to a VoIP SIP trunk straight into a call centre. Lines and numbers no longer feature in modern systems really.

0818 is adversltised as being 'national rate'. It shouldn't be legal for any provider to treat that any differently to calls to landlines outside your own area code. They're bundled and free normally.

Its also inexplicable that they're charging huge excesses for calls to 1850 and 1890 when they're advertised as 'local rate'.

The whole way people pay for calls has changed. For most of us 'local rate' is a total irrelevance. The billing either distinguishes landline vs mobile or just has a number of inclusive minutes for everything in the case of most modern mobile plans.

We should probably just have something like

0800 - freephone and diallable from abroad as +353 800 and charged as a normal call to Ireland.

And 0808 - national landline rate, which will be treated as a long distance landline call at all times. This could also be called as +353 808

If they wanted a third layer maybe 0809 charged at mobile rates might make sense for companies like taxies and others who might receive calls on mobiles or may not wish to cost share but want a special number.

The existing codes should be phased out of use over 24 months.

The current model is from 1980s and 1990s Telecom Éireann billing rates that nobody in their right mind is still paying and that made distinctions between local, up to 64km and more than 64 km..

It's nuts to be still using them in an era where the majority of calls come from mobiles using minute bundles and landlines that don't generally make any distinction between local and national anymore.

In fact, we probably no longer even need landline area codes anymore.

Make the whole thing 9-digit.

Dublin 01 999 9999 becomes 319 999 999 (03 is free and spare)

Cork 021 999 9999 becomes 219 999 999

Athlone 090 999 9999 becomes 909 999 999

Meanwhile mobiles would just all start with 8

08X 999 9999 becomes 8x9 999 999

Then you'd have more ability to not run out of local numbers as you'd be less tied down. You'd get rid of the whole obsolete confusion with dropping the 0 after the 353

And you could retain the old 0xx dialling system along side it for a couple of years for a gentle phase in because they don't clash at all thus minimising disruption and also solving Dublin's number shortages.

Northern Ireland did something like this as have many of the Nordic countries and also Spain.

Keep things simple and make the numbering more suitable for modern era needs where landlines will largely be irrelevant anyway in a few decades.

It'd also be nice if we just adopted the normal European ring tone. Then people wouldn't be able to tell when I'm on holidays :)

Great suggestion - why dont you suggest it to Comreg?
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/

They don't seem to want to radically change anything and just continue to tweak minor details to avoid any disruption.

They've had a few proposals over the years from telecoms companies to rationalise the numbering system and simplify things.

The major issue is actually that there are currently more mobile numbers all crammed into the 08X XXX XXXX than the entire 60+ area codes used for landlines and that trend is continuing rapidly as people ditch landlines.

Ultimately I think you'll end up with a situation where all we'll really need is one non-geographic code for fixed lines that will just be assigned to non-mobile lines regardless of where you are, much like mobiles are today.

Give it 10 years and I think you'll see landlines only really being used by businesses and maybe some VoIP at home.

The only reason that the area code system is so hierarchical and complicated is because it was designed in an era when the telephone network actually used the codes to route the calls. The intelligence in the network was programmed in relays, so you literally were instructing equipment with each digit dialled.

So you dialled 0 and it moved something connecting you to a long distance circuit, 2 (county cork) 1 (Cork city) - connected you to a major exchange in Cork City then ... 427 (cork central exchange) and so on or 450 (Wellington Road) or whatever and the last few digits were the actual line you wanted. It literally was relay based mechanical or primitive digital step-by-step routing based on the number.

These days, your phone number is just an electronic address. When you key it into a mobile or landline the switch looks up where it's located on a database and connects you to an end point on whatever network it's connected to or whatever the call forwarding settings you've programmed tell it. So, you could really just eliminate area codes entirely there's no need for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

That is a UK number.

That can be cheaper or even free, compared to 1890 costs. It's so many cents flat charge to 1890 from a landline I believe, or 1c from my mobile service provider to a UK landline number or free from my landline to UK landlines.
    Even then I only rediscovered the landline through UPC as it was cheaper to get the bundle I had at the time when they were offering landline phones and because of certain things like 1890 which were/are extortionate from my PAYG mobile. Now with alternative numbers been posted online and UPC charges for the landline increasing unless in certain bundle offers, I again am finding the landline defunct for my usage, bar the odd
    1890, where there is no alternative or where the landline option takes ages or isnt answered or is but they wont redirect you.

Calling a UK landline isnt a problem for me anyway.

Same here, UK landlines are completely included in my bundle both on my landline (VoIP) and mobile.

They're significantly cheaper than "local calls" to the 1980s.

It should read like

1890 999 999 *

*Calls charged at retro 1980s rates!

Advertisement