Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper alternative to 1890 numbers

Options
  • 27-03-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

I've been shopping around for insurance quotes lately and as is the way, a lot of the time you need to ring them as they won't quote you (well me anyway) online.

Invariably these numbers are 1890 numbers which cost a fortune from mobiles and aren't generally covered in your free minute packages. The following site gives local number alternatives to the 1890/1850 numbers:

http://www.saynoto1890.com/category/a-z-listing/

Apologies if everyone knows about this site already (I see there was a thread about it 5 years ago) but it's new to me and it's incredibly useful when dealing with the banks, insurance companies and other utilities, and I don't have any affiliation with them either for the record!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭icrusader

Fantastic, just what i was looking for . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

I saw that somewhere before and never bookmarked the site. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Also for whoever your are looking to ring, check their website as they may also provide a number for international callers that you can utilise..

W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

Cheers OP. Hate those 1890 numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I rang aib with 1890 number last month call cost €10:mad:
    If you ring the ordinary number do they just transfer your call to the 1890 number instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I rang aib with 1890 number last month call cost €10:mad:
    If you ring the ordinary number do they just transfer your call to the 1890 number instead?

No, it just gets you through to the call centre via a local number rather than a 1890/1850 number, you might have to go through 1 or 2 more options but that's the only drawback in my experience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

1890 aren't that bad, its 0818 that I really hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Stinicker wrote: »

A huge percentage of people can call national numbers for free on landline, mobile and voip. 1890 is 50c a minute from my mobile, 28.8c a minute from my voip provider I can call fiji for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

moodrater wrote: »
    A huge percentage of people can call national numbers for free on landline, mobile and voip. 1890 is 50c a minute from my mobile, 28.8c a minute from my voip provider I can call fiji for less.

And the real irony is you end up talking to someone in India :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

moodrater wrote: »

1890 is about 5c/min from landline
    not too bad

the worst thing is you have free calls on your mobile that takes all your topup credit..and then the damn car breakdown rescue is 1890

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

1890 is about 5c/min from landline
    not too bad

Sounds about right but some sneaky telcos slide in OTT charges for 1890 nos that can be totally avoided if you know the local number. Adds up for a business that is calling insurance cos. 50-100 times a week (say solicitors office).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

ridiculous having the breakdown assist 1890

only in Ireland

my new insurance co is 1800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

johnwd wrote: »
    Sounds about right but some sneaky telcos slide in OTT charges for 1890 nos that can be totally avoided if you know the local number. Adds up for a business that is calling insurance cos. 50-100 times a week (say solicitors office).

Any problems with my credit card I always ring the international (calling from abroad number).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

Armelodie wrote: »
    Any problems with my credit card I always ring the international (calling from abroad number).

An option that has worked for me for years. Good advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭bromley52

For UK numbers use:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

I usually look for an "if calling from outside Ireland" number.

I'll bookmark that one OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Also for whoever your are looking to ring, check their website as they may also provide a number for international callers that you can utilise..

W.

Have found not getting through or takes longer to get through, I think on one occasion they were aware I told me Id used the wrong number.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    I thought 1890 were a fixed rate, need to check this, at least Im sure its a flat rate from my UPC landline, which is better than from mobile, but not within my free minutes, but it was the main reason I went ahead and got the landline given it was so cheap at the time.

Given how long it can take to get through 1890 is really stupid for breakdown, can alternatives be found through the links?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

ringing Sky is the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

My Eircom package doesn't include 1890 numbers, and I call 01 404 4000 for when using Banking 365 to ensure that it is covered by my free calls package.....

Could we have a sticky on this board for low-cost alternative numbers and update it with numbers we use to avoid expensive calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I think there should be an obligation on companies to quote both the 1890 number and the local number, makes note to write to Alan about this:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I think there should be an obligation on companies to quote both the 1890 number and the local number, makes note to write to Alan about this:D
    The aib keep telling me to ring the 1890 number which costs a lot from a mobile I wonder do they get a cut out of the cost of the phone call :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

cerastes wrote: »
    I thought 1890 were a fixed rate, need to check this, at least Im sure its a flat rate from my UPC landline, which is better than from mobile, but not within my free minutes, but it was the main reason I went ahead and got the landline given it was so cheap at the time.

1850 numbers are always a fixed price regardless of duration. 1890 numbers are always charged per minute.

The cost of calling a 1890 number is split between the company and the phone service provider. That is why so many companies use them, they actually get paid for taking your call. Perhaps this explains why you have to listen to five minutes of bull from most IVR systems before they will let you speak to a human.

I never ring them. I will use the landline number that they advertise for international access or ring their main reception and ask to be transferred instead. Also the fact that calls to 1890 are rarely included in a local call bundles or free minutes is frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The aib keep telling me to ring the 1890 number which costs a lot from a mobile I wonder do they get a cut out of the cost of the phone call :mad:

AIB internet Banking is 017712424. I always use it and never have a problem instead of 0818724724 . 0818 is included in my call package but I was used to the 01 number. As above I also dial 01 404 4000 for BOI Phone and Internet Banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

dubmick wrote: »
    ringing Sky is the worst

If your landline is with Sky, all 0818 calls to them are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Now wouldn't it be nice to have an app that would automatically intercept your 1890 outgoing call and look up and dial the direct number instead

There's an opening for somebody;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cs2

Never knew that brill
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

I had problem ringing ESB helpline - sale dept.(no such option when calling this free number) from local - ended up calling 18xx

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I would always try to find the number for international callers on the web site, but sometimes it's hard to find - the website put up by the OP is great - have used it a few times recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

I look up the web sites of the firms and use the outside Ireland number. When I get trough I always ask them to record feedback from me that I am not happy with having to pay up to 58c per minute to give them my business. If the firm has no local or international number I don't use them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement