Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ActionHank

I would go with the Lenovo TS140. Much better specs and not much dearer after you count in new hard drive and extra bit of RAM for the Microserver. The CPU in Lenovo is a Quad Core Xeon e3-1226 v3, which is about 4 times faster than the Celeron, and give you nice future proofing for many years to come. Works out at around €350 inc. delivery after cashback.

http://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/lenovo_tower_servers/svlen-70a50022uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

any sign of HP Proliant Gen9 Microserver yet? I wonder what the specs are vs the Lenovo TS140

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

stimpson wrote: »
    Umm..LOL???

I wouldn't advise giving it a lash. Bad things could happen, and with the possibility of losing data, I wouldn't risk it. Find the power consumption for all of your components and ensure it doesn't exceed 150W.

If you're close to or exceed the 150W I'd be upgrading the PSU before switching it on.

I think the safest option is to carry on with the microserver for now and start saving up for a new build server

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Most of my parts have been shipped so by next weekend I should be able to start working. Bought 16GB ECC RAM, 2 x 3TD Reds, and the PCIe SATA controller linked by stimpson. Have two 1TB internals in my desktop so will transfer over at least one of those, if not both. Have a spare SSD to set up as cache also. Will be trying the unRAID 6 free trial for 30 days as it seems to address everything I want / need. Did a little write up on how the NAS functionality works in unRAID since I was intrigued by how they approached it - It's unlike your standard RAID setup as the array is not lost if two drives die at once AND you can use drives of varying sizes. Pretty cool.

Link if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Just a couple of things

- unRAID doesn't do striping. Each drive is an individual file system and parity is calculated across all drives in the array.
    - you aren't protected from two simultaneous drive failures, only one. But as each drive is an individual filesystem, you only lose the data on the two drives that fail simultaneously. And because there is no mirroring, the likelihood of two drives failing simultaneously is much less (if you have mirroring of two identical drives they will both have an identical service life so if one fails then it's mirror may also fail around the same time.

stimpson wrote: »
    unRAID doesn't do striping. Each drive is an individual file system and parity is calculated across all drives in the array. .

Really? :confused:

I don't know what game me that idea.. had to go back to the website to confirm that and there is indeed no mention of striping.. post removed for now

So really there is no performance improvements then without using an SSD as cache?

Danger781 wrote: »
    Really? :confused:

I don't know what game me that idea.. had to go back to the website to confirm that and there is indeed no mention of striping.. post removed for now

So really there is no performance improvements then without using an SSD as cache?

Performance degradation if anything. Writes are slowed down without a cache due to parity calculation. Reads are unaffected though and it maximises space efficiency as you just have one parity drive. When you think about it it's ideal for a media server as you will only write your data once - you're not rewriting your data all the time. I ran mine with a 250 GB HDD as a cache for over a year and the performance was fine. I only upgraded to SSD recently.

There is a plugin that will allow you to mount drives outside the array which might be better if you want to run a virtualised OS. Although once it's cached and you're not too pushed about losing a days work if something goes wrong then the array should be fine speed wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

So I ended up giving in and getting the E3-1265LV2 from these guys http://www.jacob-computer.de/ I paid using amazon and shipped to parcel motel... the artic silver and removal stuff I got from amazon.co.uk so hopefully everything will arrive together (unlike the 4 TB drives which i-parcel sent on a tour of Europe from london to get to dublin)

My beasty is installing it's W2012R2 patches now. I'm off to sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

How would the HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 G1610 compare in terms of performance?

I'm currently using amahi on an old desktop so looking to cut power usage. I assume I can run the same setup in the HP

• Advertisement

LhVBjJKl.jpg

Well feck sake.. just trying to install one of my new NAS drives and I find that this screw is a messed up shape. It's supposed to be a standard cross. My screwdriver is refusing to grip it - It just keeps sliding through it. No issues on any of the other screws.

What do? :(

EDIT: After some further attempts I managed to unscrew it. Took me turning the screwdriver an odd angle but it worked.

And what do you do with these yokes after removing them?

zWfNuMJl.jpg

My memory arrived today so now I'm almost ready to go. Downloading unRAID 6 as I type this but might not get a chance to finish installing until tomorrow.

My Gigabit switch also arrived today so now my desktop and server are both wired into that with my new cat6a cables. Originally had cat5e for both connecting directly to the UPC modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AMB

Hey Danger781,
    nobody wants to hear about your struggle with screws or how u download software.
    Just give relevant stuff.
    P.S. I like your blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

AMB wrote: »
    Hey Danger781,
    nobody wants to hear about your struggle with screws or how u download software.
    Just give relevant stuff.
    P.S. I like your blog.

I don't agree, personally I think it's interesting!

Though to be fair Bargain Alerts is not the right place for it. But other forums on boards would be.

By the way I kept those metal spacers in case I ever want to remove a drive or sell the server on empty. You can't really put the caddies in the server without them. They're way too fragile on their own.

I don't agree, personally I think it's interesting! Though to be fair Bargain Alerts is not the right place for it. But other forums on boards would be.

To be honest I forgot this was in BA.. You're right this isn't the appropriate place to discuss :) If someone wants to open a thread in another forum for discussion feel free but I think it may be best if we let this thread die..
    By the way I kept those metal spacers in case I ever want to remove a drive or sell the server on empty. You can't really put the caddies in the server without them. They're way too fragile on their own.

I assumed that was all they were for alright, but I was concerned they were needed for something else as well. I'll throw 'em in a box somewhere so if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Support thread here..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057449626

Please lets keep this to BA discussion.

Anyone received any feedback on their cashback form? I haven't heard anything since posting..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Danger781 wrote: »
    Well feck sake.. just trying to install one of my new NAS drives and I find that this screw is a messed up shape. It's supposed to be a standard cross. My screwdriver is refusing to grip it - It just keeps sliding through it. No issues on any of the other screws.

What do? :(

EDIT: After some further attempts I managed to unscrew it. Took me turning the screwdriver an odd angle but it worked.

"TORQ-set" screw maybe ? odd-looking yoke

34d9be79cba55a2c6b6624c994c3f101.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

gctest50 wrote: »
    "TORQ-set" screw maybe ? odd-looking yoke

34d9be79cba55a2c6b6624c994c3f101.jpg

Saint Brigid's Cross screw head?
    brigid200208.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Amazon For £165

Seeing as I missed the cashback offer, is this still worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Speaking of the cashback offer, has anyone received their cheque?

I'm 33 days into my 45 - I assume they'll take all 45.

Speaking of the cashback offer, has anyone received their cheque?

I'm 33 days into my 45 - I assume they'll take all 45.

I just got my email confirmation. No sign of the cheque yet.

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    Amazon For £165

Seeing as I missed the cashback offer, is this still worth it?

I'd hold out. They've been having very regular cash back offers. The last one, £80 back I believe was even better than what I got a few months before (£35/€50 back). And theres strong rumours of a G9 coming up so it makes sense.

I'd just keep checking the servers plus site. Theres a very good chance there'll be another cash back offer.

Also, regular price at servers plus is £149 so why buy through Amazon? Just use parcel motel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

What is wrong with HP payback in Ireland? I got Gen7 years ago and it was fully covered by HP payback IN IRELAND. All recent offers are UK only?? I may need 2 or 3 for company so Parcel Motel is no option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

If it's purchased by an official HP reseller in the UK or Ireland then you can claim cashback in Ireland. You may have to email them to get a Euro claim form, but there's no problem.

Can confirm the above. Bought my server from a UK supplier (Servers plus) and used the Irish cashback form.

Received my cheque about two weeks ago.

A new offer just started yesterday: it's Now £55 cashback on a £139 purchase price.

So it's £25 less cashback but on the other hand the server has dropped £10 so its still a very good deal IMO

Serversplus also have no issue shipping to parcel motel and the server *just* fits in the biggest locker :)

Edit: Sorry Raflution beat me to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

A new offer just started yesterday: it's Now £55 cashback on a £139 purchase price.

So it's £25 less cashback but on the other hand the server has dropped £10 so its still a very good deal IMO

Serversplus also have no issue shipping to parcel motel and the server *just* fits in the biggest locker :)

Edit: Sorry Raflution beat me to it!

Am I correct in thinking the £139 purchase price is ex VAT, so for any home users the cost is £168 with £55 cash back? Anyone seen the Euro claim form, or what the Euro value cash back is? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Posted about 4 posts up :)

It's €60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Posted about 4 posts up :)

It's €60

:rolleyes: If it was a dog 'twould bite me!

Shocking exchange rate in fairness, I wonder could we claim the £55 and get closer to €75 that way?!! :)

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Shocking exchange rate in fairness, I wonder could we claim the £55 and get closer to €75 that way?!! :)

Better yet the bank will charge you money for lodging the cheque because it's coming from a UK bank. I got charged about 3 euro or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Go and buy from amazon uk. Their price is £170 (£110 after cashback).
    The cheapest I found in Ireland (out of stock unfortunately) is dabs.ie with €230 (€170 after cashback). According to google £110 = €150 (1:1.37 rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

zom wrote: »
    The cheapest I found in Ireland (out of stock unfortunately) is dabs.ie with €230 (€170 after cashback). According to google £110 = €150 (1:1.37 rate)

Be careful here. I purchased from amazon.de years ago and wasn't able to get the cash back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

zom wrote: »

Probably not eligible for cashback

"Sold by MiniPrice Express SL and Fulfilled by Amazon."

Which means its sold by "miniPrice Express SL", which i doubt is eligible for the cashback.

Email promotions@out-bound.co.uk to confirm.

One more thing, I was able to email the cashback form in rather than post which saves a bit of hassle.

is the version being talked about here powerful enough to play x265 HEVC codec through Plex. x265 is becoming more and more common these days.

Probably not eligible for cashback

"Sold by MiniPrice Express SL and Fulfilled by Amazon."

Which means its sold by "miniPrice Express SL", which i doubt is eligible for the cashback.

One more thing, I was able to email the cashback form in rather than post which saves a bit of hassle.

Good point, I think miniprice ships from France actually so it's probably not eligible.
    glasso wrote: »
    is the version being talked about here powerful enough to play x265 HEVC codec through Plex. x265 is becoming more and more common these days.

I don't think so. I haven't tried on the G8 but even my i5 PC struggles with that. And the HP's CPU is a Celeron from early 2013. It doesn't even have quicksync! You'd need one of the latest chips with hardware H.265 decoding built in or a CPU with serious horsepower.

Perhaps you could go for a media player that has hardware decoding for it, so you can stream to it without having to transcode on the server?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

does anyone know if the gen8 microserver uses the same ram as the nl54?

can i pull my 8gb out of my nl54 and stick it into a new gen8?

pulled the trigger and ordered from http://www.eurieka.ie/ for 236

should have it today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

Hope this helps, Just Loaded Cashback Offer

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=WCE819185421

€235 Free Delivery

That's €175 after Cashback

did you have to print and scan the cashback forum?
    or is there an online one available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

sorry guys, noob question here. Im interested in buying one of these.
    Can i claim back money on the one bought from elara thats posted?

zweton wrote: »

yes they have even put the link to the cash back forum on the page for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

haha, cheers. want to get one with 16gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Servers plus are doing the microserver for £180 including delivery to Parcel Motel before cashback, works out around €190 including cash back. I got it from this crowd the last time the offer was on. You can also get it delivered directly to Ireland from Serversdirect for in or around the same money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

Hi,

Yes you can claim the Cashback, we are HP Gold Partners.

Works out at €175 Including Delivery after Cashback.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?mancode=819185-421&manufacturer=HP

zweton wrote: »

just got the email stating my cashback was accepted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Are ebuyer the best option here? Do you use the UK form for cash back if buying from them?

Pacifico wrote: »
    Are ebuyer the best option here? Do you use the UK form for cash back if buying from them?

I ordered from a UK retailer (servers plus), shipped to parcel motel, and used the euro cashback form. The cheque gets sent in euros from an English bank so I needed to pay commission to lodge it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement