Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestlers who legitimately scared you .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I used to **** myself when jake roberts would win he'd put the python on the loser thought it would eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

elfy4eva wrote: »
    I used to **** myself when jake roberts would win he'd put the python on the loser thought it would eat them.

I genuinely believe my fear of snakes comes from the Macho Man Randy Savage incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think me fear of weddings came from that incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

The Mountie, or more so his shock stick. Gave me the creeps as a youngster and thought it was legit. Haha!

I can't remember was I in awe of some of these guys or was I scared. Kane's 1998 was scary-ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Don't know if I could say I've been scared by a wrestler, the Boogeyman's promos were very well done though, as were the Wyatt's. Though I think it's more for creepiness rather than scariness. Taker and some of the more established stars who had that kind of gimmick weren't as frightening imo because they got more ring time and thus felt more human or familiar or something.

The closest thing to the sort of feelings of fear I would have had as a child would be in recent years when The Undertaker's entrance at WrestleMania briefly gave me the goosebumps. But that is more because it elicits an emotional reaction from me on those nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

The rat petting, hair pulling, psychotic Mankind from 1996. His debut vs holly and hollys mouth foaming after the mandible claw was pretty scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can't believe no one has mentioned Waylon Mercy yet....christ he gave me the creeps big time

also Damien Demento ....he was like a **** papa shango if i remember right and yep plus 1 to the guy who mentioned Nailz he looked legit nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Can't believe no one has mentioned Waylon Mercy yet....christ he gave me the creeps big time

also Damien Demento ....he was like a **** papa shango if i remember right and yep plus 1 to the guy who mentioned Nailz he looked legit nuts

waylon mercy didn't last long did he? Odd character though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

He was kind of a rip off of Robert De Niro's Cape Fear Character i think either way he creeped me out no end

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

eh i dunno wrote: »
    waylon mercy didn't last long did he? Odd character though

Very creepy. He was heel but used to shake hands with his opponents and the referees before the match started. Watch this vignette and he gets creepy around 55 seconds in... ya know what I mean?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Undertaker and The Ministry of Darkness storyline scared the hell out of me as a kid. Undertaker, Paul Bearer and his urn, Gangrel,Edge and Christian as like a vampire group, Viscera, Mideon. Bradshaw and Farooq were kind of normal though, they were about it.

Mankind was a scary guy around the same time before the whole Rock and Sock stuff, when he was living in the boiler room. His matches and ring intensity also helped keep that scariness going.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

George "the animal'' Steele would be up there for me when i was younger

And yet if you hear him talk he comes across as an extremely well spoken and well adjusted person. It's probably a testament to how good he was at his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Bob Backlund when he snapped was very unnerving, legit gave me nightmares

Not a wrestler, but I was always a bit scared Brutus Beefcake would cut someone's head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

But to answer the question the undertaker in his original character incarnation scared me. Also the ministry of darkness and the sacrificing left me a bit un easy.

I was more scared that something was going to go wrong when they were crucifying Steve Austin. The Undertaker will probably always have an effect on younger viewers though I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

eh i dunno wrote: »
    This list is not complete without nailz. Freaky evil looking yoke

Yep. He was way out there for the time. Dressed as a prisoner, came through the crowd and attacked Bossman with his stick, had nomusic iirc, maniacal look on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Your Face wrote: »
    What wrestlers really scared you for whatever reason?

For me, it was Arn Anderson because he was a normal guy.

None, I'm busy paying bills 😄😄😄

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

dar100 wrote: »
    None, I'm busy paying bills 😄😄😄

Why are you following me around this site?
    Its weird.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mod note: If you're coming from After Hours, welcome! Please discuss the topic, not other users. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Pat Patterson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pat Patterson

Why would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

gimmick wrote: »
    Why would that be?

Alliteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

The Steiner Brothers had a little print shop as a side venture years ago. I interviewed for the position of graphic designer, and all I knew was that I was to show up at the shop and ask for a "Rick Steiner". It meant nothing to me as I wasn't at all interested in pro wrestling. The employee on duty showed me to the office in the back and said, "He'll be here in a few minutes". I sat primly as I waited for the boss to arrive, expecting a guy in a sports shirt and khakis. In walks this guy who filled the room with his muscles, in a sleeveless T-shirt and jeans and biker boots. He told me later, with amusement, that I looked like I wanted to tunnel through the wall behind me. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Speedwell wrote: »
    The Steiner Brothers had a little print shop as a side venture years ago. I interviewed for the position of graphic designer, and all I knew was that I was to show up at the shop and ask for a "Rick Steiner". It meant nothing to me as I wasn't at all interested in pro wrestling. The employee on duty showed me to the office in the back and said, "He'll be here in a few minutes". I sat primly as I waited for the boss to arrive, expecting a guy in a sports shirt and khakis. In walks this guy who filled the room with his muscles, in a sleeveless T-shirt and jeans and biker boots. He told me later, with amusement, that I looked like I wanted to tunnel through the wall behind me. :)
    At least it wasn't Scot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

At least it wasn't Scot :pac:

Heh, I met him later. He didn't have a lot to do with the day-to-day running of the shop. Later on The Big Boss Man and a couple others got involved. They were not terribly good employers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

gimmick wrote: »
    Why would that be?

Allegations of wrongdoing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Speedwell wrote: »
    Heh, I met him later. He didn't have a lot to do with the day-to-day running of the shop. Later on The Big Boss Man and a couple others got involved. They were not terribly good employers.

Considering the business they worked in I can't imagine they learned a lot about taking good care of employees

Advertisement