Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyhass Lakes

Options
  • 01-06-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Has anybody fished here recently, was there a few years ago and wondered was it worth a return trip.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Been there a few times. People are friendly, shop is very good but over all very pricy. fishing can be dead for long periods. I won't make the trip anymore to be honnest. There is better value out there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭gary29428

Thanks for the heads up BoarHunter, will stick to Laois Angling centre so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Been there a few times. People are friendly, shop is very good but over all very pricy. fishing can be dead for long periods. I won't make the trip anymore to be honest.

Have to agree with Boarhunter. Used fish there a bit but there is better value around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Did you like fishing in the super clear water? I have not been on Ballyhass yet, but I'd guess the clarity's good for picking up on the trout's behaviours.

coolwings wrote: »
    Did you like fishing in the super clear water? I have not been on Ballyhass yet, but I'd guess the clarity's good for picking up on the trout's behaviours.

The clarity is good for the trout too to pick up the anglers behaviour :p

I must say that when you park the car and look down into the water, seeing those big trout cruising around does bring with it a sense of excitement!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

gary29428 wrote: »
    Has anybody fished here recently, was there a few years ago and wondered was it worth a return trip.

Thanks

Hi, id give it a miss if i were you............fished their some time back at the bottom lake where you can fish without a boat.........was more like a public park, full of youths that were not fishing,messing about, and dogs running in and out of water, no control their at all.........waste of money:D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

Ive fished laois and ballyhass..i find them both good but i will no longer be going to ballyhass after finding laois.

I love to see the fish in the clear water in ballyhass but it can be so dead for so long and hearing some of those bait anglers roaring and shouting and messing in general doesnt do it for me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭gary29428

Yeah, was at Laois yesterday and the fish are quality. Water was a little coloured but still managed up on 50 fish, mostly to CDC dries. Buzzer doesn't seem to work there as well as other managed fisheries but the dry fly fishing is good. Was talkin to a lad down there who fishes Cloghan in Offaly and says it's a very good stockie lake, anybody ever been down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Foxdenis

Hi, this is my first time posting anything on this site.. Myself and a friend of mine fished Ballyhass lakes today. We started off in the lower lake for around 2hrs (along with another 10 anglers) but no one there had any joy. Tried spinning, worm and fly. We then tried the main fly fishing lake and was the same. Only saw 1 fish breaking the surface all day. Are they even stocking it anymore. It used to be a great spot but not too sure now. Anyone else hear anything on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Well I can tell you Ballyhass is a cracking lake with alot of specimen fish..

You have to remember that fish are not stupid and become accustomed to seeing a fly or lure...so you need to try different things..

Have you looked at previous posts on here about Ballyhass..

Even do a google search, Campbell Bard has written a good review of Ballyhass..

It's one of my favorite lakes, and anytime I head home to South Limerick to see the folks, I try to pay a visit to Ballyhass for 1/2 day's fishing. I have never blanked there, YET!

http://www.ballyhasslakes.ie/reviews.asp

http://www.ballyhasslakes.ie/Trout%20Fisherman%20Article%20Feb%2009.pdf

• Advertisement

Foxdenis wrote: »
    Hi, this is my first time posting anything on this site.. Myself and a friend of mine fished Ballyhass lakes today. We started off in the lower lake for around 2hrs (along with another 10 anglers) but no one there had any joy. Tried spinning, worm and fly. We then tried the main fly fishing lake and was the same. Only saw 1 fish breaking the surface all day. Are they even stocking it anymore. It used to be a great spot but not too sure now. Anyone else hear anything on this?

Hi Denis,
    Welcome to the forum.
    At this time of year it is unusual to see any surface activity, because winter fly life is almost non existent.
    But the deeps are still cold water, and sun won't penetrate to warm them, and food items leave there, or go into hibernation.
    Therefore the trout frequent the edges right now. At this season I would be fishing no more than 1 - 3 yards from the bank for my best shot at getting fish! The only warmer water right now is the shallows. If you walk right up to the waterside, they're gone. They can see movement 20 metres away in such clear water, so they are usually disturbed before being fished over.

You didn't say what ways you fished, just what lures you used. But the way you do it more important than what you use, and not being seen at this time of year is vital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ballyhass Lakes

The fishing has been challenging here of late but im sure like the other replies are saying it is time of year and conditions rather then lack of fish.

We still stock the lakes here regularly. Over the last two weekends we hosted the Munster Bank fishing competition in which the winner was crowned with a catch of 17 fish on the one day. A testament of the great fishing still on offer here.

We would love to see you out here again soon and hopefully bringing with you better luck. (failing that are lake manager Tom will tell you what they are going for on any giving day!! Create your own luck :))

Some recent catches also up on our facebook page here;

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ballyhass-Lakes/125450137535#!/pages/Ballyhass-Lakes/125450137535

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Two Ballyhass threads merged. Same topic.

Hi guys,

We have actually recently reduced our prices at Ballyhass. We are now offering a full days fishing for 20 Euro.

We recently hosted the Munster bank competition here and had some great fishing.

Hopefully at this price you cant rule us out.

What do you get for €20? Is it C+R? Can you keep a fish? I thought a few years back that a C+R ticket was €15, I'm not sure?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

But looking at the prices of stock fish from the hatchery in Roscrea the cost of the fish is a small part of the overall cost of a fishery.
    On that basis why are Ballhass not competing with other fisheries at the same price and allowing anglers to take a brace if they wish?
    A turn around in stock is surely a good idea with fresh fish available.
    I am not saying overstock but a fishery where say 4 fish can be caught in a session would seem adequate and compares favourably with stockie bashing match style.
    A nice eatable 2-3 lbder in one day would make most anglers days special.
    The result may be a more profitable fishery.
    For myself I am not doing a 100 mile + roundtrip for nothing to take home and neither are my mates.
    Of course if I blank thats down to me but its nice to have a special meal as the occasional reward.
    Takes the pressure of of killing scarse Salmon and Brownies, personally I think a rainbow is better eating.
    Just my opinion and a bit of feedback for the fishery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Rainbows just out of the farm taste like dirt. Nothing beats a nice half pound brownie on the pan. Nothing.

Good quality Rainbows are like a less oily form of Salmon.
    Some Brownies can be earthy, depends on water and food quality.
    If there are lots of Brownies then its fine to take them, personally I find them in decline.
    Or else I am just no good at catching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

jett wrote: »
    If there are lots of Brownies then its fine to take them, personally I find them in decline.

yes jett you are 100% correct brownies are declining.......too many anglers are still killing them, and guess what, thats why they have declined..........;)

SeaFields wrote: »
    What do you get for €20? Is it C+R? Can you keep a fish? I thought a few years back that a C+R ticket was €15, I'm not sure?

would you really want to eat those force fed rainbows?

would you really want to eat those force fed rainbows?

Nope! Don't eat fish at all. Was curious as to what you get for the money tho. Say for example the SWRFB lakes will be opening over the next few weeks. For €15 you can fish for the day and take 4 trout away. Herself eats them too and reckons they are as nice as salmon. They do have a lovely pink flesh and are a good size. I've never given her a commercial fisheries rainbow tho to compare.

• Advertisement

I fed Rainbows to fermoy based relatives who were raised eating Blackwater Salmon, for ST Pats.
    They all thought they were best quality fresh sea Trout!
    I have never ate an "Earthy" rainbow but I have had quite a few mushy earthy Browns.
    The Browns have been exploited to the extent that they are so valuable they all go back as far as I am concerned, even the farmed ones.
    I put a 6lb Suir Brown back on the 30th Sept last year, the landowner whom had fished all his life thought it was a Salmon. He thought I was mad returning it even though it was full of eggs. He said he used to kill 30 an evening and could not understand where they had all gone.
    Another clubs Chairman ( oops chairperson) said I was mad puttin it back as it was predator of small Browns!
    This just about sums up stupidity.
    There is nothing more beautifull than a Trout. They are all of different markings but each as perfect as the other.
    Don't Judge resteraunt and mongers rainbows like the real thing.
    Fast breeders, can be caught all year an die young so no need to feel guilty eating them.
    BTW that Brown I pu back could have been 12 years old. It would have looked sad on a plate.

Jett: I agree with everything you said in that post!
    I also eat the rainbows, and return wild fish. Rainbows are fine eating and my own fishing is not damaged by taking them since they are replaced by the fishery.
    Wild browns when killed vary greatly in eating quality, but larger ones are rare given the number that get chapped while they are still trying to grow.
    One man's big brown to be killed and proudly showed off is another man's medium sized fish needing a chance to grow bigger!

interesting......i have never eaten a rainbow trout, i dont fish for them that often, anyway would you lads not be a bit worried about the stuff they are fed on?...pellets and all that sort of stuff?

They seem to thrive on the fish pellets, if they are lucky enough to be wild for a few weeks they will be like salmon.
    There is a dye in the fish food to pinken the flesh.
    Its not reccomended you eat too many! But one a week would be harmless.
    Perhaps some of the wild fish are just as full of toxins? who knows?
    For anyone who has not tried it, you can fish on stocked lakes just as you do on a River, don't worry about casting too far, most people line fish. Trad flies and nymphs will work fine. You can strip a lure and watch them chase it for a diversion.
    Warning they may be bred fish but they can be as moody as any other fish.
    They can take erraticly ie, like London buses, none for 3 hours and then three come along at once!

interesting......i have never eaten a rainbow trout, i dont fish for them that often, anyway would you lads not be a bit worried about the stuff they are fed on?...pellets and all that sort of stuff?

What I do is go to a stocked water about once a month, and provided the manager wants, I take the regulation one, but often I offer to pay for another couple, prepare the one fresh, and freeze the extra.

But on the pellets side of things: think about eating chicken they get mainly processed feed, as do many small farm animals. We have all been eating meat from stock grown on pellets for decades.
    I am much happier eating rainbow trout which have time to cleanse in the fishery down the road, than sea ranched salmon which may have been treated with unfriendly anti sea louse concoctions up till relatively recently before harvest.

SeaFields wrote: »

Please PM BallyHass directly if you have specific pricing queries

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Do you put fishing reports online anywhere?

A simple question.
    What do you estimate the natural mortality rate is at Ballyhass.
    In other words the difference between what goes in and what comes out assuming that the base stock is constant?
    Averaged over a year.
    This is not a trick question and there is no agenda other than curiosity.
    It may indicate that taking more fish would improove the/a fishery.
    After all Rainbows do not live very long compared to other species or Brown trout.
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Antoennis

okedoke wrote: »
    Do you put fishing reports online anywhere?

Yap Ballyhass will have reports in our newsletter
    http://www.ishootandfish.ie/march2011e-zine.pdf

• Advertisement

jett wrote: »
    A simple question.
    What do you estimate the natural mortality rate is at Ballyhass.
    In other words the difference between what goes in and what comes out assuming that the base stock is constant?
    Averaged over a year.
    This is not a trick question and there is no agenda other than curiosity.
    It may indicate that taking more fish would improove the/a fishery.
    After all Rainbows do not live very long compared to other species or Brown trout.
    Thanks,

Apologies for the late reply to this question.

By law we must record any natural fatalities in our stock. Thankfully we have no records of this nature. On the very rare occasion we do find a dead fish, unfortunately its usually due to poor fishing practices. What I have been told also is that rainbow have a lifespan of four to six years where brown have a lifespan of up to four.

Regarding our stocking practices pop in any day and have a word with Tom. He will have any information you are looking for.

Any other queries you have, call in at any point and we are only too happy to show you around and have a chat.

Advertisement