Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single?

Options
  • 16-11-2008 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine recently got into a predicament based around saying yes when asked if she was single.

What she meant was she wasn't married, not that she wasn't going out with anyone.

What do you take single to mean, should you have to quantify it with a second question?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Em if someone is single I take it to mean they're not involved with anyone else. I presume 99.99% of people would think the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Em if someone is single I take it to mean they're not involved with anyone else. I presume 99.99% of people would think the same.

Spot on. If they wanted to know if she was married they would have said "Are you married?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Peared wrote: »
    Friend of mine recently got into a predicament based around saying yes when asked if she was single.

What she meant was she wasn't married, not that she wasn't going out with anyone.

What do you take single to mean, should you have to quantify it with a second question?

Your friend is an idiot and a terrible liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

See, I wudda thought so too but seems there's a whole load of people out there who for some reason have weird morals and dont want to lie so answer on a technicality kinda thing.

Boston wrote: »
    Your friend is an idiot and a terrible liar.

Yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You'd be surprised. When I lived in America I was friends with a few couples who had been dating years; the girls said they were in a relationship, the guys said they were single on the basis they weren't married. I don't know I'd be altogether happy with that if I was the girl, but they were all fine with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It depends on where the question is. On legal forms I take it to mean NOT MARRIED, in everyday use I take it to mean NOT INVOLVED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I would have taken it to mean not married... If someone asks me if I am single I would say yes on the basis that I am not married but if it was in a social - guy chatting up situation, then I would also explain I am going out with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sigh, you know what you're being asked. One could redefine the question to mean anything they want. Yes I am single since at the moment since the other half is not here or yes I am a single life form, as are you. When someone asks you "are you single" they are asking "are you involved with someone". On forms the meaning is clear since you are given two options single or married and you select the one most applicable.

• Advertisement

I have another friend who is married but seperated (not legally) and they still live together, for the moment anyway.

He says he is single.

I really don't think you can assume it's straighforward anymore.

And as ellscur says, in the states its fairly normal to say you're single until they day you walk down the aisle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

ellscurr wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. When I lived in America I was friends with a few couples who had been dating years; the girls said they were in a relationship, the guys said they were single on the basis they weren't married. I don't know I'd be altogether happy with that if I was the girl, but they were all fine with it.

That's right. In the US, I would do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I have another friend who is married but seperated (not legally) and they still live together, for the moment anyway.

He says he is single.

I really don't think you can assume it's straighforward anymore.

And as ellscur says, in the states its fairly normal to say you're single until they day you walk down the aisle.

I presume the Op's friend is in Ireland, if so I take single to mean not involved with anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Single to me means not seeing anyone.
    Whether you're specifically married/engaged/etc... doesn't come into it IMO.

It is a formal way of wording the question. So I'd assume it meant martial status.
    I'd probably clarify that I wasn't seeing anyone if it was in a social setting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Single? Unmarried and not committed to an exclusive relationship. Still dating. Doesn't mean that you don't fancy someone in particular...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

She could have said i am not married but i am "peared"

You get it? I LOL'd.

Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I'd take it to mean not involved with anyway. I wouldn't have even considered single to be just unmarried, unless I was like filling out an application form or whatever, which obviously wouldn't have a "I'm sort of seeing someone" or "I have a live-in boyfriend, but we're not actually married" option....

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

On forms and things I tick 'single' as I'm not married.

If anyone else asks me I say I'm engaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, it only means "not married" on official forms. In everyday conversation it's "not involved" - in this country anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

so by sounds of it op your friend could have chosen to say I'm single with a fiancé/e :pac:

single means unattached imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

Hedging her bets by the sounds of it.
    Single is unattached and as such fair game I would say (legal forms notwithstanding)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

If you're single you're not in a relationship, if you've got a boyfriend/girlfriend/partner then you're not single!

Saying that you're single as long as you're not married is weird to me...

Advertisement