Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Environment

Options
  • 20-11-2008 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Not the global one, just our immediate ones. Why do we (many of us) like to make things around us nice aesthetically and comfortable, when (many men) don't seem so bothered? Do we pay attention to detail more do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

comfortable is a perspective thing.

i think i may have a male perspective on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Nesting???

Actually Id say Id care less about putting garlands round the computer at work. Ive stickers everywhere and things are just straightforward and to hand

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Nesting???
    Indeed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I dunno my ex bought stuff for the house out of necessity and convenience, he didn't get having nice stuff, whereas the current OH gets the nice stuff.
    We're currently sleeping under a wall of wallpaper samples waiting to pick the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Why do we nest?

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    Why do we nest?

Because as much as humans like to think we are seperate from the animal kingdom, we arent. Simple as. Women nest because its in our nature to do so. You could also argue that the 'nice things' are advertised towards a female audience so you could say it was subtle brainwashing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hygiene apparently. Because women have to give birth they want their immediate environment as clean as possible, so they are more twitchy than men about clutter and mess. Or you're just obsessive pains in the bum...:D you choose

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Hygiene apparently. Because women have to give birth they want their immediate environment as clean as possible, so they are more twitchy than men about clutter and mess. Or you're just obsessive pains in the bum...:D you choose

Hrmm..I need to be rewired...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Me too, I'm very messy in my own space.

So would you say we are predisposed to be better sorters, cleaners and tidiers? (not leading you into a trap, btw :))

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe. Cleaners and tidiers anyway. Sorters? I dunno, there are more men with obsessive collections/hobbies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

*looks innocent* :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i like doyleys in the house

Maybe. Cleaners and tidiers anyway. Sorters? I dunno, there are more men with obsessive collections/hobbies.

Yeah, maybe thats down to the whole huntey gatherey thing.

So the men and women fly off to collect the twigs, the men can help the women by carrying the heavier twigs and the women then go to the nest and arrange the twigs into a nice shape.

But do men like living in a place that has 'the womans touch?'

(no posts about touching women..AH ^ up that way)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I know it has been mentioned to me could I tone down the bedroom (its plum/purple and silver) and eventually I will but for the moment its staying as is. The rest of my house is quite gender neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,020 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

A womans touch to any home can brighten it up and make it look far better

So making the environment around us is something we are good at? Does that mean that it is something that we can do that men can't do so well?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,020 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So making the environment around us is something we are good at? Does that mean that it is something that we can do that men can't do so well?

Some men can do it if you look that them home make over shows.

Like queer eye for the straight guy? :P

Yeah, some are good regarding renovations, opening up spaces, etc but even then, the place has to be well kept and have nice things in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think nice thing like ornaments and pictures give a real character and atmosphere to a place. My boyfriend thinks my room looks ridiculous cos of teddies and ornaments and shelves, he dislikes my "unnecessary crap" even though it looks far nicer than the junk in his room which is "useful".

Life would be boring if we didn't have aesthetically-pleasing things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

i like doyleys in the house

lol
    I remember my female coworkers were amazed that I knew what doyleys are, no interest in them, but I know what they are none-the-less.:rolleyes:

Think most males just want physical comfort in terms of a good sitting spot and a good sleeping spot.
    As for women and hygiene and tidiness most females' rooms I've been in were far worse than males' rooms I've been in, clothes, shoes, make-up and cds strewn EVERYWHERE!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I have no idea why. I cant relate to wanting junk and 600 pillows everywhere, and 30 euro candles that stink up the place.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Like queer eye for the straight guy? :P

Yeah, some are good regarding renovations, opening up spaces, etc but even then, the place has to be well kept and have nice things in it.

Define nice things. I know women who think that having some little thing, be it an ornament, vase, whatever, on every available surface is a necessity. To me they're dust gatherers, and are therefore not nice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Ok, here's where I think I need a girlfriend.

I have no cushions. No candles. 2 ornaments - both lighthouses.

My room is covered in
    • Clothespiles (2) (clean / not clean)
    • Monitors and outdated consoles.
    • keyboards
    • Games cases
    • books
    • cables

Basically, as long as I had a clear path to the pc / tv / xbox, things were ok.
    I lost the path to the pc after the chair became a clothes depository, so I have a laptop now.

I'm hopeless. I've always been hopeless.

This is a cry for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

I like things to be tidy and comfortable and I like there to be some sort of cohesion in terms of colours and whatnot. Maybe this makes me a bit different to some guys. But I like simplicity, so don't have too many "nice" things around - less is more is my mantra.
    My mum says my apartment is like a doctor's waiting room but I like it just fine.

Advertisement