Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I was thinking about a broker alright. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

I'm going to phone the AA to try get an explanation of the following but I'd really like the opinion of other board members. The quote is take from the AAs policy booklet and I'm trying to figure out if I (the soon to be insured) can drive a 3rd party car and what conditions apply [e.g. does it need to be insured by someone else]. The booklet reads like there are 2 certificates of insurance, my current non-AA !?!, and an AA certificate .....

The preamble [If Your current Certificate of Motor Insurance permits You, we will also cover You !?!] and 5.c seem to be the relevant sections

SUBSECTION 5 - Driving Other Cars
    If Your current Certificate of Motor Insurance permits You, we will also cover You, the Insured , for Your liability to other people while You are driving any other private motor car which You do not own or have not hired or leased as long as;
    (a)
    the car is not owned by Your employer or hired to them under a hire-purchase or lease agreement
    (b)
    You currently hold a valid a full Irish, UK or European Union (EU) Licence.
    (c)
    the use of the car is covered under the current Certificate of Motor Insurance
    (d)
    cover is not provided by any other insurance
    (e)
    You
    have the owner’s permission to drive the car
    (f)
    the car is in a roadworthy condition and has a valid NCT certificate.
    (g)
    the vehicle is a private passenger vehicle and is not a van, car-van, motorcycle, jeep with no seats in the back or van adapted to carry passengers.
    (h)
    the vehicle stated on Your current Certificate of Motor Insurance is still owned by You and has not been stolen or damaged beyond cost-effective repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

The cert will identify whether you have the cover. The policy wording just explains the cover. It should be outlined in the quote you got as a policy benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its very doubtful that the other car needs to be covered by its own policy, and the wording that you have posted seems to back that up. No harm to make a quick phone call all the same to confirm, and maybe ask for their response in writing in an email or something just to be certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

From the above, you look good to go without the need for the other vehicle to be insured.

However, I always maintain that that the car itself can be the cause of the accident and this extension only covers your driving of the car. I personally wouldn't use my extension unless the owner had it insured, which picks up the liability for the car. That is me being extremely cautious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Question: Lets say I was hit by an uninsured driver. There is considerable damage done to my car (enough to write it off). Gardai are involved in the incident so the details of the uninsured are recorded. What is the process with dealing with my damaged car?

If I claim off my comprehensive policy, for the damages, will that mean I lose my NCB? Seeing that I was not to blame for the incident? Does MIBI get involved in some way?

* For all of you concerned...my car is perfectly fine :P

With an identified uninsured driver, you claim off your own comprehensive policy and, by regulations with the MIBI, your NCB is protected. Your insurer will eventually recoup their money from the MIBI fund

This assumes, like you say, that you were not responsible for the accident. Merely, being hit by an uninsured driver does not automatically make him liable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭donnyb28

Hi guys, hopefully getting my first car tomorrow, a 1.4 Honda Civic. I'm 24 and just passed my full license, just wondering could anyone give me advice? Clueless, to be honest!

Would it be advisable to go and get my own policy or go as a named driver on my parents policy? Seeing as I turn 25 in 8 months, does insurance go down much because I'm out of the 17-24 age bracket?

Any advice appreciated!

General advice would have been your own Policy (always). I would have suggested a small car to begin with and this time next year look at getting something you prefer more. At that stage you will be 25 with 1 year's No Claim Bonus and SO many alternative insurers will be available to you at that stage.

If you've bought the Civic, all I can suggest is that you phone every insurer you can find and drop in to a good broker for a free quote. Sometimes adding a parent to your policy can bring the premium down. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not being smart, but unless its a newer model Civic you are going to either pay through the nose for insurance or are going to have alot of difficulty getting insured.

Civics from the mid/late 90's up to mid 00's are among the highest rated cars by insurance companies, they just do not want them.

Best advice I can give is if you havnt bought one yet is to get the registration numbers of a couple you are interested in and then ring someone like Quote Devil.

See if you can actually get quotes before you invest in a car like that.

Going from 24 to 25 doesn't make a whole lot of difference as you have no no claims bonus to use however having your full licence will certainly help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

question: hopefully picking up a new car on Wednesday. Have no NCB in my own name (3 consecutive years named driver experience claims free). Full license since last year, passed test on the 1st of Oct last year. So have the full license 10 months now (well, 9 since it arrived thanks to delays in the tax office). I'm 26.

Some companies offer a discount for putting a tracker on your car.

What is the story with the trackers? I'll be driving around 80-90 miles a week, maybe a teeny bit more at times, so call it under 7000 miles a year. What do they measure? Is it just distance? Times you're driving at? Do they log your speed against the speed zone you're in?

Bit uncomfortable signing up to something like that when I don't actually know by what metric they measure safe driving. Does it measure braking force applied?

Without it, most fully comp quotes (incl breakdown assist & drive other cars) are coming in around the 700 mark, so 30% off would be a decent chunk.

Just be careful as insurance companies don't care till you have a claim. Than they do all to try and get out of paying as is I am sure is their right.

I was on here asking for advice re.insurance. I drove a company car for over 30 years with no claim. But my problem the multi national I worked for would not give out the information as it was corporate policy. It cost me 744e to insure a 1600cc car third party and many companies would not quote me as I was named on the policy. I am over 50 by the way so its not all against young people.

blowin3 wrote: »
    Just be careful as insurance companies don't care till you have a claim. Than they do all to try and get out of paying as is I am sure is their right.

I was on here asking for advice re.insurance. I drove a company car for over 30 years with no claim. But my problem the multi national I worked for would not give out the information as it was corporate policy. It cost me 744e to insure a 1600cc car third party and many companies would not quote me as I was named on the policy. I am over 50 by the way so its not all against young people.

Ouch. Seems a bit miserly not to give you access to your insurance history. Just got a quote of 600 plus change comprehensive on a 1.2, so don't think I'll actually bother with a tracker. It's all a bit cloak and dagger, especially if I have a quote coming in reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

What is the story with the trackers? I'll be driving around 80-90 miles a week, maybe a teeny bit more at times, so call it under 7000 miles a year. What do they measure? Is it just distance? Times you're driving at? Do they log your speed against the speed zone you're in?

Basically, with a tracker your Insurer know where you are, how you got there, how long you spent there and how fast you got there. If you're above board and don't speed and have no issue with them knowing all of this, then go for it. It wouldn't be for me
    blowin3 wrote: »

Hardly an Insurance companies problem that you can't prove your driving experience. I know what you're saying but ultimately, you've approached an Insurer and can't support that you've been driving for as long as you have. As such, you're an increased risk and will pay the price until you build up a history with them

Also, Insurers don't do their best to get out of claims.

Policies are incepted on the merit of Utmost good faith. They rely on you answering all questions truthfully. When a claim comes in, part of the Indemity process is to interrogate this information and ensure that everything is in order. If you've got nothing to hide then you've got no problems.

I don't blame the insurance company I blame the company I worked for not giving out the information. Its ironic the company that insured the company car was Axa and that who I am insured with now. But my company insurance was with a broker in the UK.
    MugMugs that what I meant just you worded it better. Its up to you to tell the truth.

Without it, most fully comp quotes (incl breakdown assist & drive other cars) are coming in around the 700 mark, so 30% off would be a decent chunk.

€700 fully comp is an excellent price to pay with no NCB and very little fully licensed experience. Each to their own, but Id gladly pay the extra 30% not to have my driving habits monitored and potentially used against me.

djimi wrote: »
    €700 fully comp is an excellent price to pay with no NCB and very little fully licensed experience. Each to their own, but Id gladly pay the extra 30% not to have my driving habits monitored and potentially used against me.

Yeah, that's why I was asking what it was about. Didn't know much about it, think I'm spied on enough through the internet (without getting tin-foil-hatty) so wanted to know what it was about before I considered it.

Ended up getting fully comp (with all the extras) for 600 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Partner main insured, myself named driver with 5+ years NCB, named driver (me) has an accident. she has an CLAIM against her policy and looses her NCB down to 0. I have an accident on my driving record. Would I be best becoming main insured on a new policy and her named driver. as new quotes are mad.

Westwood wrote: »
    Partner main insured, myself named driver with 5+ years NCB, named driver (me) has an accident. she has an CLAIM against her policy and looses her NCB down to 0. I have an accident on my driving record. Would I be best becoming main insured on a new policy and her named driver. as new quotes are mad.

Not enough info there. You have a full NCB but also have a claim???

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

oldyouth wrote: »
    Not enough info there. You have a full NCB but also have a claim???
    sorry, main insured has/had the NCB always? is my partner. The named driver (me) has a claim against me at present from a small accident. insurance company now says we both have 0 NCB, just wondering what would be the best thing to do?

• Advertisement

Westwood wrote: »
    sorry, main insured has/had the NCB always? is my partner. The named driver (me) has a claim against me at present from a small accident. insurance company now says we both have 0 NCB, just wondering what would be the best thing to do?

Well if neither of you have any NCB the difference between having it in your name or your partners will be marginal all things been equal ie you both have full licences and are over 25.

As a named driver, you never had a NCB in the 1st place. Only the policyholder gets that. I don't think it will make any difference which name you get the qoute in. Your partner has the claim on their policy and you have the accident. Insurers will consider both aspects

If you had 5 years NCB built up as a policy holder before you became a named driver (ie in the past two years) then I dont think that is affected by a claim as a named driver?

If you have been a named driver for 5 years then you dont have a NCB and never had one.

NCB doesnt mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. You both have a claim against your name which will have far more of an affect on the premium price for the next three or so years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Got a quote of 6500 from the insurance company to cover by VW golf GTI 2005 which has been stolen and not recovered.

They say they come to the figure by looking up carzone and comparing. I can only find GTIs on carzone with more miles on the clock than mine that are pricing at 7500.

The 6500 seems low.

Is this a negotiation and what are my chances of getting an increase in the compensation?

Could I just hear from people who have experience with this?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

they may ask for 7500 but it doesnt mean they are going to get it. insurers will factor in a cash discount.

Its up to you basically to show them that you cannot adequately replace the car for the money that they are offering. If inferior examples are selling for more then print out several examples and show them.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Got a quote of 6500 from the insurance company to cover by VW golf GTI 2005 which has been stolen and not recovered.

They say they come to the figure by looking up carzone and comparing. I can only find GTIs on carzone with more miles on the clock than mine that are pricing at 7500.

The 6500 seems low.

Is this a negotiation and what are my chances of getting an increase in the compensation?

Could I just hear from people who have experience with this?

thanks

Could possibly be a dealer vs private seller difference too ie they are pricing as a private sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Could possibly be a dealer vs private seller difference too ie they are pricing as a private sale.

No. The sales of 7500 are private. The 7500 ad also said the car hadn't had a valid NCT for a year. My car had a NCT till next year.

The reason the insurance co have lowballed me according to them is I haven't a full service record. I did provide an invoice for substantial repairs to the car last year for 4000 but this is worth nothing when it comes to the claim amount.

Well in fairness, the car was stolen and not recovered so they are taking your word for it on its condition, mileage etc without the fsh so it's not overly surprising they aren't offering what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

donnyb28 wrote: »
    Hi guys, hopefully getting my first car tomorrow, a 1.4 Honda Civic. I'm 24 and just passed my full license, just wondering could anyone give me advice? Clueless, to be honest!

Would it be advisable to go and get my own policy or go as a named driver on my parents policy? Seeing as I turn 25 in 8 months, does insurance go down much because I'm out of the 17-24 age bracket?

The main driver of the car is the main driver. If you're the main driver, you get a policy in your own name. If you lie on the proposal form about who is the main driver, you don't actually have insurance.

Advertisement