Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A stark reminder to slow down in housing estates

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

robertxxx wrote: »
    With your previous answer that's why.

The road is a place to get from A to B safely ( for all road users ) and not a race track just because you've got a car and insurance and have seen the uncut version of ronin.

Peoples lives are at risk.

The other asshole$ on here are blaming Children ( 6 year old ) for not upholding "their" part of the rules of the road and in turn getting knocked down.. F'ing wanker$
    Won't somebody please think of the children!

Get a grip. Nobody's blaming the kids, it's their parents. What sort of irresponsible fool lets their kids play on a road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Nib wrote: »

Get a grip. Nobody's blaming the kids, it's their parents. What sort of irresponsible fool lets their kids play on a road?

that's sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

The worst speeder in our estate has small kids of his own . Very annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jesus. wrote: »
    Its not the way I feel. The urban areas have been overrun with those bloody things. I had a cousin over from Scotland recently and they couldn't believe it. They're even on regional / local roads where I live. I never thought I'd see the day when a pretty main Country-type road would be filled with fecking speed ramps. Maybe its just where I'm living but its gotten ridiculous.

I was driving through Ballymun the other day toward Glasnevin and the lorry in front of me had to slow down to a crawl every time he came to one and the noise it made what with his hoisting equipment in the back, was deafening. Its gone past a joke now. Then you go to other Countires and you don't come across a single one! But as usual, the Irish Motorist laps up whatever the Government spins down to them.

Its a shame

I don't know what part of Glasnevin/Ballymun you are referring to, but I grew up in the general area. Joy riding was common place when I was a teenager. That was one of the main reasons why so many speed ramps were installed. I have no idea if it is still a major problem in the area, but it certainly was back in the day. I can remember lying in bed at night and listening to the sound of the little scrotes race their Subaru's around God knows where & causing God knows chaos and carnage. The speed bumps put a stop to that. So its not always about the Government going over board for no reason.

Another thing I would love to see people have a think about is where they park in their housing estates. I see people parking on corners in mine, all the damm time. It drives me nuts, especially when you see so many kids flying around corners on their bikes at this time of year. Thanks to the tossers who insist on parking their cars directly on a corner, you only get to see the kids at the very last minute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

cerastes wrote: »
    30mph is too fast in an estate anyway

That's just nonsense. There are plenty of main roads up through estates where 30mph is perfectly acceptable.
    Its a shame when roads have to be covered in ramps, I hate them too, but I can manage to pay heed to where there are children about. Unfortunately there are an army of idiots that cannot and will not slow down in estates, so these things are put in place.

But they don't have to be. That's nonsense too. If that were the case, wouldn't every other place in Europe be covered with the things aswell? And its not just in estates they are. They're out on regional roads too. You're using the logic that if a tiny amount of people decide to act the bollox then everyone should be punished. This does not happen in similar Countries anywhere near the extent it does here. Instead of taking responsibility, you just roll over and allow the Nanny State to rule every area of your life.

That's no way for a free people to be governed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Was the driver confirmed as speeding ?

Cars driving 20/30mph can't magically stop on a penny.

A child died tragically but without all the facts (and not just tabloid sensationalism) i don't see how people automatically blame the driver moreso than anyone else involved.

I can and do go slow, probably max 2nd gear till I exit the estate, wheres 20 coming from, it was 30 previously. Both of which are too fast in an estate, ie a cul de sac or any part of an estate that isnt leading anywhere other than housing.
    I can manage a significantly lower speed and its not taking me much longer to get onto the road outside the estate, but Im paying massive care to the time and when children might be on the road.
    I understood the limit is 30kmh, but that doesnt mean people should do that speed, I think it should be less, 20kmh.
    I cant believe but reallly I shouldnt be suprised people are defending this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

bmm wrote: »
    The worst speeder in our estate has small kids of his own . Very annoying!

Get afew locals to knock on his door or just report him.

Problems like these can only be sorted out on a local level if everyone looks at it from as many angles as possible.

Petition for speedbumps/signage.
    Encourage kids to not play on the roads/petition for a green area/small playground.
    Kick the ****e out of people who blatantly speed in the estate.

Ya know, positive action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

With your previous answer that's why.The road is a place to get from A to B safely ( for all road users ) and not a race track just because you've got a car and insurance and have seen the uncut version of ronin.

Good Lord preserve us all. What on earth are you talking about? Who said anything about driving as if you're on a race track?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Nib, get over yourself.

Its a road, it's not a place of disregard, not a place of showmanship, it's not a catwalk, it's not a scale of maturity.

I know what you feel, your young and insurance company's and the government do gooders are your enemy, not innocent children.

I can and do go slow, probably max 2nd gear till I exit the estate, wheres 20 coming from, it was 30 previously. Both of which are too fast in an estate, ie a cul de sac or any part of an estate that isnt leading anywhere other than housing.
    I can manage a significantly lower speed and its not taking me much longer to get onto the road outside the estate, but Im paying massive care to the time and when children might be on the road.
    I understood the limit is 30kmh, but that doesnt mean people should do that speed, I think it should be less, 20kmh.
    I cant believe but reallly I shouldnt be suprised people are defending this.

Cars can go very fast in first gear too ya know.

I can't believe people are jumping to the conclusion it was all on the driver without the facts infront of them, if I'M HONEST.

Also speed limits aren't made up as you go along there are signposts to guide those without common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

What sort of irresponsible fool lets their kids play on a road?

In a housing estate? Most parents, I would think. It's a driver's responsibility to watch out for children in housing estates. It's not like a normal road. In the summer, you can just assume that there will be kids on the road - and that they can be a bit silly and unpredictable - and reduce your speed accordingly.

Anyone who drives over 20km/h in a housing estate is an irresponsible idiot.

Nib, get over yourself.

Its a road, it's not a place of disregard, not a place of showmanship, it's not a catwalk, it's not a scale of maturity.

I know what you feel, your young and insurance company's and the government do gooders are your enemy, not innocent children.
    It's also not a place for children.

Keep your children off public roads and they will be fine.

Simple really.

Jesus. wrote: »
    That's just nonsense. There are plenty of main roads up through estates where 30mph is perfectly acceptable.

But they don't have to be. That's nonsense too. If that were the case, wouldn't every other place in Europe be covered with the things aswell? And its not just in estates they are. They're out on regional roads too. You're using the logic that if a tiny amount of people decide to act the bollox then everyone should be punished. This does not happen in similar Countries anywhere near the extent it does here. Instead of taking responsibility, you just roll over and allow the Nanny State to rule every area of your life.

That's no way for a free people to be governed.

In estates, Im talking about cul de sacs, where 30mph, nearly 50kmh you consider acceptable? I never said main roads in or around estates.
    The shouldnt have to be but because people cant take personal repsonibility they are installed, instead we get the I pay tax, ins etc I own my car, I'll do as I please. I dont know why they aren't as prevelant in other places? where? in Europe, maybe people understand their responsibility better?

In stead of taking responsibility? I roll over? read my post, I crawl out my estate becuase there are children about and if they cant be seen they can be about, I dont want it on my conscience I was responsible for something, because I give a damn about things and people other than just myself. What this has to do with every other area of my life has nothing to do with this thread, its those that ignore reasonable responsibility to those around them that cause these things people dislike being implemented, we cant take the ramps up and put them down for the good/bad drivers??
    We are not free, its better to respect others around us without having laws required to ensure we do, maybe thats the difference between this country and others in Europe.

RayM wrote: »
    In a housing estate? Most parents, I would think. It's a driver's responsibility to watch out for children in housing estates. It's not like a normal road. In the summer, you can just assume that there will be kids on the road - and that they can be a bit silly and unpredictable - and reduce your speed accordingly.

Anyone who drives over 20km/h in a housing estate is an irresponsible idiot.
    Anyone who lets their kids play on a road is an irresponsible idiot.

Anyone who drives like an irresponsible kid is an idiot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's also not a place for children.

Keep your children off public roads and they will be fine.

Simple really.

Were you locked up in the house as a child, or were you allowed play on the street like everyone else?

Kids playing on the motorways coming to you in 2015.

*But it's ok because we put up speedbumps.

What? In a housing estate? Seriously? Rather than restricting children's freedom to play on the streets (something which they have always done), would it not be more sensible and grown-up for motorists to just drive really slowly and cautiously? Surely it's not that much of an imposition?

Browsing the Motors forum can be a bit like visiting another planet sometimes.

goz83 wrote: »
    Were you locked up in the house as a child, or were you allowed play on the street like everyone else?
    Played in my back and front garden. In the house. My friends' houses and gardens. Local football and soccer pitch. School.

You know, anywhere where I couldn't be mowed down by a car.

Supergurrier and Nib, please stop trolling.

• Advertisement

Played in my back and front garden. In the house. My friends' houses and gardens. Local football and soccer pitch. School.

You know, anywhere where I couldn't be mowed down by a car.

Like that vast majority of kids, I played on the streets. And I was never mowed down by a car - mainly because people tended to observe the "Caution, children" sign at the entrance to the estate and would drive very slowly, thus giving me plenty of time to get out of their way. Lately, I notice a lot of idiots doing at least 50km/h in housing estates - around blind corners and everything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For real!
    Yes in a ton or more vehicle.
    Yes you can drown in an inche of water.

I pray and hope you haven't got a licence.

Are you in your early twenty's?

I'm not any of the above and agree, and I've lived in plenty of estates, drivers drove carefully, and parents kept their children under control
    RayM wrote: »
    What? In a housing estate? Seriously? Rather than restricting children's freedom to play on the streets (something which they have always done), would it not be more sensible and grown-up for motorists to just drive really slowly and cautiously? Surely it's not that much of an imposition?

Browsing the Motors forum can be a bit like visiting another planet sometimes.

If children are living in a 50 kilometre an hour zone they should either be watched over or educated not to run onto the road.

I once had a small child run out in front of me when I was doing about 40 km/hr in a housing estate from behind a parked car, chasing a football, luckily I was able to stop, but that child had no awareness of the danger they were in.

Supergurrier and Nib, please trolling.

It's trolling to have an alternate opinion ?

You seem to think anyone driving at the "Legal limit" in a housing estate is in full race gear looking for kids to run over.

Everyone involved needs to take reponsibility for their own safety and the safety of those aroundthem/on the roads instead of dropping sensational comments on forums/twitter/bookface and walking away feeling smug having learned nothing but gotten their two cents in.

A child died with it's whole life ahead of it, maybe we should learn something from it rather than just assuming the driver of the car was speeding.

Im sure the results from whatever comes from it will be released in time. (Pity most people won't give much heed as there will be a new shiny sensationalist story to rave on about)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I don't know what part of Glasnevin/Ballymun you are referring to, but I grew up in the general area. Joy riding was common place when I was a teenager. That was one of the main reasons why so many speed ramps were installed. I have no idea if it is still a major problem in the area, but it certainly was back in the day. I can remember lying in bed at night and listening to the sound of the little scrotes race their Subaru's around God knows where & causing God knows chaos and carnage. The speed bumps put a stop to that. So its not always about the Government going over board for no reason.

Speed ramps only work for careful drivers not scumbags. There's a speed ramp outside my apartment and every few nights I'll hear cars coming up my road at speed jumping the ramps. So having the speed ramp outside my apartment only makes it more dangerous, they've already taken out a street light, as the scumbags still drive like lunatics but now have even less control as a car in air can't be turned or stopped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Many estates require a driver to reverse or make potentially unsafe manoeuvres.

You'd need eye's in the back of your head sometimes.

If I'm in a cul de sac with kids on the path etc. I'll ask them to stay there and out of my way when I'm turning etc.

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm not any of the above and agree, and I've lived in plenty of estates, drivers drove carefully, and parents kept their children under control

If children are living in a 50 kilometre an hour zone they should either be watched over or educated not to run onto the road.

I once had a small child run out in front of me when I was doing about 40 km/hr in a housing estate from behind a parked car, chasing a football, luckily I was able to stop, but that child had no awareness of the danger they were in.

thats the thing, and no matter how much children are told, theres no certainty they will take it in. The onus is on the driver to be cautious, they do or should know the danger.

You seem to think anyone driving at the "Legal limit" in a housing estate is in full race gear looking for kids to run over.

Everyone involved needs to take reponsibility for their own safety and the safety of those aroundthem/on the roads instead of dropping sensational comments on forums/twitter/bookface and walking away feeling smug having learned nothing but gotten their two cents in.

A child died with it's whole life ahead of it, maybe we should learn something from it rather than just assuming the driver of the car was speeding.

Im sure the results from whatever comes from it will be released in time. (Pity most people won't give much heed as there will be a new shiny sensationalist story to rave on about)

The legal limit isnt a target and is subject to conditions, rain, parked cars, pedestrians.
    I will probably get annoyed if I see adults as pedestrians on the road because they are adults, eg if they cross diagonally away from you so they cannot see cars as easily, or even twits that walk down the road when there is a path for them to use, but when it comes to children, you cant expect them to understand or be expected to know as well.

A 6 year old is dead, its hardly raving sensationalism, I see people speeding near me, Im sure someone reported a driver already, nearly did it myself, but they seem to have curbed their speeding on one section of an estate, a blind corner where cars a re parked and all where children happen to be at times. Better to spend a minute (maybe the absolute maximum, probably seconds) extra in their car or maybe kill or seriously injure some child or adult?

Stheno wrote: »

Just because the speed limit in most housing estates is 50km/h, it doesn't mean that everybody has to drive anywhere near that speed. Common sense should apply. If you're on an ice-covered motorway, you're not going to do 120 - even if the speed limit allows you to. Similarly, in a housing estate, where there are cars parked on the road (sometimes really badly), people potentially reversing out of driveways, and a lot of kids around the place, a sensible driver will adjust their speed accordingly.

On a couple of occasions, kids have run out in front of me, but because I was going very, very slowly, I was able to stop without any drama. Of course they should be taught not to run onto the road without looking, but they can sometimes be a bit unpredictable. It makes more sense for everyone to just drive slowly.

I'm sure most people would agree that speed limits in housing estates should be lowered anyway. 50km/h is crazy.

Most are 30kmph

50kmph is town land/general city limit speed

The limit is a limit and not a target to reach, and in turn you SHOULD adjust YOUR speed/driving to suit the circumstances/situation.

You dont have to drive at the limit in a housing estate just because a "limit" says so, use the bit of common sense you have, if any.

• Advertisement

Most are 30kmph

50kmph is town land/general city limit speed

Unless otherwise signposted, 50 is the speed limit in built-up areas, including housing estates.

Advertisement