Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A little confused

• 03-09-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Ive recently joined a gym (last two months) and have been doing machine weights having never done any weights before. Im happy with the program they gave me and have made some good progress.

my initial program came to end and I wanted to start doing compound lifts with my new one. maybe try stronglifts or something similar for a beginner but the instructor was extremely dismissive of this saying that I wouldn't be able to do proper squats yet (which is total crap) and after me insisting I do some he set me up with the smith machine, I think thats what its called. with this it only moves in one dimension, he says it will teach me technique but I can lean back on this and it supports my weight so I'm not really balancing it. I want to get the most workouts. It was the same story with benchpress and then he gave me some random other exercises, biceps and triceps machine weights etc

Am I right to try free weights and not the machines? I told the gym manager I wasnt happy and was set up with another instructor but I'm afraid I just might get the same thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭COH

The unfortunate side of some commercial gyms is that instructors often cant perform, demonstrate or teach fundamental movements. Other times they often don't have time to spend an hour or more going through it all.

Just ask for someone with specific knowledge of what you are looking for to show you, failing that you may need go go elsewhere to find someone to guide you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Squatting and benching in a smith
    machine will not teach how to do them. They are not a stepping stone to learning to squat or bench not are they a
    substitute.

Did he even go through a body weight squat with you? If he didn't he has absolutely no idea if you capable of barbell squatting now. Anyway, whatever the issue is a smith machine is not the answer.

Sounds like you have something set up
    with a different instructor. Challenge them to do what you want, they work for you. If they don't, change gyms.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

I joined my first gym back in 2005 and I recall my first day with an instructor being shown how to squat, deadlift, bench and do other compounds (no smith machine). and these exercises being included in my first programme. The instructor is filling you full of crap and if they cant provide you with instruction then I would ask for my membership to be cancelled/refunded and find a better gym. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

fungie wrote: »
    Ive recently joined a gym (last two months) and have been doing machine weights having never done any weights before. Im happy with the program they gave me and have made some good progress.

my initial program came to end and I wanted to start doing compound lifts with my new one. maybe try stronglifts or something similar for a beginner but the instructor was extremely dismissive of this saying that I wouldn't be able to do proper squats yet (which is total crap) and after me insisting I do some he set me up with the smith machine, I think thats what its called. with this it only moves in one dimension, he says it will teach me technique but I can lean back on this and it supports my weight so I'm not really balancing it. I want to get the most workouts. It was the same story with benchpress and then he gave me some random other exercises, biceps and triceps machine weights etc

Am I right to try free weights and not the machines? I told the gym manager I wasnt happy and was set up with another instructor but I'm afraid I just might get the same thing.

OP, if you can afford a session with a PT, go for one to teach you how to do all the compounds. You won't look back.

Go out on your own and you'll risk serious injury. Look into my log, 180kg deadlift with horrible form. I got lucky, you may not. I should have got someone to show me from day one. I started wrong, continued to do so and now am back sorting my sh!t out.

Moral being- don't be stupid and don't be afraid to ask for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

I may just have to book an appointment with a trainer, Ill see how it goes with the other instructor. Might get more help as he set my previous programs, just annoying that ive to wait another week. Was looking forward to doing something new. I dont want to start until I get help with form etc, not worth a potential injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Yes, you are right to want free weights and not machines. Machines are great for a gym because they can show you how it works then leave you unsupervised for months with little or no risk to their business.
    You are also correct to suspect that you shouldn't be using smith machines to squat. They do force your body into unnatural movements, they also limit the use of muscle groups so your movement doesn't engage as it should.

Machines are not better or worse. nor, as mentioned, are they a stepping stone or a learning tool to free weights.
    They are a separate tool with a separate function.

In the same way you don't learn to use a sledgehammer by practicing with a tack hammer. They are two (similar) tool but have entirely different reasons for being.

But if I owned a business where people could pay to come and hammer stuff then of course I will be pushing the tack hammers rather than letting everyone use the sledge hammers. (*note to self, open a business where people can come and hammer stuff, work out details later*)

So you have an idea what you should do, you just need to pay someone to help get you there. If your gym has the requisite equipment then you dont need to move (barbells, squat rack, benches possibly pull up and dip station later)

I took 2 sessions with a trainer to show me the basics, asked him to help me with the lifts I wanted, then I took a follow up session a few weeks later, Now I am confident on my own.
    So for an initial expense (€40-€80 a session) I got myself setup and feel comfortable progressing.

You can always post videos online for people to laugh at and help you with your form, i did this and got some great advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I may just have to book an appointment with a trainer, Ill see how it goes with the other instructor. Might get more help as he set my previous programs, just annoying that ive to wait another week. Was looking forward to doing something new. I dont want to start until I get help with form etc, not worth a potential injury.

this may also be of use:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capital-Strength-Weightlifting-Club/529299550455027?fref=ts
    they are doing a beginners course. It wont 100% cover strong lifts as its Olympic lifting, but you will cover most of what you need.

I'm sure other gyms of this type will cater to beginners. If I was starting from scratch with my current knowledge I would join a club like this rather than just take a trainer. You get more "bang for your buck"

Advertisement