Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Machines Vs Free Weights

Options
  • 27-08-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

So, I've recently lost 2 stone (16 stone now, 6"3) mainly be eating better and jogging 2/3 days a week. I want to ultimately get down to 14 stone ish.

I want to introduce some weights (maybe alternate with cardio days); my local gym has mainly weight machines and not many free weights. Is there much difference or should I look elsewhere for free weights?

My intention is each day to focus on differnt part of body (i.e arms, legs etc) and build up weights/reps gradually. Is this sufficienct or shoudld I mix it up more?

Thanks for any input; I have never done anything other than cardio before now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To start you might be better off working a few upper body muscles one day, lower the next etc etc rather than focussing on a body part for each session. Weight machines are fine but you get a limited range of motion with them. Certainly nothing wrong with using them but i wouldn't use them exclusively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

If you are relatively new to weights I would say machines are the way to go simply to ensure you are performing weights with proper technique. Most machines work in a singular plan of motion and as such make it easier to focus on correct technique. As you become more competent technique wise you can start to free weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

Don't start on machines. Have someone teach you proper form with free weights (squat, dead lift,press) and body weight exercises. They should form the basis of all weight sessions and will with out doubt give you the best results. If have time left and energy (which you shouldn't) you can add in a few isolation free weight or machine based stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

It would really be worth having a personal training session to get started. You'll get a proper programme and will learn how to do the movement right the first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Second Challos advice about getting a PT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

ecoli wrote: »
    If you are relatively new to weights I would say machines are the way to go simply to ensure you are performing weights with proper technique. Most machines work in a singular plan of motion and as such make it easier to focus on correct technique. As you become more competent technique wise you can start to free weights.

Machines cannot be seen as a progression towards free weights.
    That's like learning to sail in order to pass your drivers license. Sure there are similarities in steering left, right and avoid hazards but they are 2 separate learning curves.

Free weights move on one plane of motion, therefore they do not engage any supporting muscles.
    Doing a shoulder press on a machine will exercise the shoulder, doing one with a barbell engages the shoulders, the abs the back the legs. All working together. You need to learn to engage these muscles from the beginning using a machine prevents this.

Use the machines for what they are for, adding in extra work and targeting specific. They are good for improving muscle imbalances, gaining size and strength to help weaker areas or limiting motion and pressure recovering from an injury.

If you are new to weights then get a professional to show you how to move a barbell and dumbbells correctly then begin to progressive add weight to it.

Should you need any assistance work you can go to an appropriate machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

They are good for improving muscle imbalances

If anything they cause muscle imbalances.

Advertisement