Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How has the recession affected you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

We really should have done an Iceland.
    Can we not just still do an Iceland??

If we were to do it, we should have done it 4 years ago. Saved ourselves 100s of billions and we'ed be on the road to recovery now.

It's too late for that now as we have lost either way. The government and NAMA took care of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

token101 wrote: »
    Nah not really. But I'm still emigrating. Because I can't be arsed hanging around and paying for someone elses bankruptcy.

Yup same as,tbh I had more money than ever at the height of the recession. I got sick of the constant moaning, never end depressing prime times and dooms day predicting budget analysis that I left for my own sanity (and a pay increase of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

We really should have done an Iceland.
    Can we not just still do an Iceland??
    Sell cheap frozen food and be promoted by Kerry Katona??

Changes for me though. My take home pay has dropped with tax hikes, cost of living with bills has gone up, so has transport. I'm finding it hard just shopping in Aldi and Lidl. I go out once a week tops and then it's only the local and 4 pints.

Can't afford a car or to run one. I have no loans as I can't afford to take one out or pay one back. I've cancelled my landline and bill contract, gone back to pre-pay.

Any more price hikes or tax hikes and I will have to live like a monk or move back home. Basically I'm being priced out of living in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I hate it when people say "oh you are lucky to have a job during the recession"..

ah no I'm fcuking not !! I spent a few years in college studying for a Diploma and a degree, got top marks and then went for interviews.

I fought my way through the interview process and beat of all the competition for a job.

So luck has NO part in me getting the job I have, I earnt it goddamit! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I honestly dont think i have ever felt this low or ****ty before!!! it sucks not to have an extra bob at the end of the week to buy a treat. with 3 kids its so hard not to feel depressed and lonely! a simple trip to town is now a no no as the funds are'nt there to buy them something small even. the saying "no mon no fun" has never been a more true saying! we now rely on hand me downs for clothes, days out are to the playground but only when the weather permits! everything sucks right now!!

TBH not too bad as our kids are now reared with mortgage nearly finished (both in early 50s). HOWEVER - we were where you are now in the 80s. Couldn't afford a car (had a company fan of which we still have fond memories - good days out).

Three kids under 5, with herself working part time meant long hours for me (this was a joint decision so that the kids would have their Mam at home). Yep, times were hard. It was the playground, nearby parks, the odd jaunt to a kid's movie at the cinema when finances allowed.

The beach was a big one. A few of us with young kids used to travel to Tramore regularly - in ALL weathers.:o:D. Funny thing is, while in later years we could afford foreign holidays, it's the days at Tramore beach that the lads often reminisce about.

We visited each other's house, as going out was a very rare treat. It might seem hard now, but it will get better. Chin up and stick at it. It's amazing what the kids perceive as a 'treat' - and what the parents THINK they should perceive as one.

Enjoy your family. That is the key. Always.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its getting so bad, the hookers and drugs now come with transport costs! :o

kingtut wrote: »

And there in sums up the problems with today's youth graduates, they feel owed a job by the state for getting a degree.

Luck has alot to do with getting a job these days, there are thousands out there with a Masters than can't get a job stacking shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I hate it when people say "oh you are lucky to have a job during the recession"..

ah no I'm fcuking not !! I spent a few years in college studying for a Diploma and a degree, got top marks and then went for interviews.

I fought my way through the interview process and beat of all the competition for a job.

you are lucky to have a job.... many many others did the same rat race you did and got jobs only to later have them outsourced to asia or lost due to incompentant managers or the most common form of business failure in ireland.... lack of finances due to incompetant bank officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Hmm let me see, a couple of job offers which I have been happy to decline apart from one which I might consider, oh and 2 pay rises in the last year so yes the recession is great :)

My earnings increased by a decent amount after the recession hit

Kind of dick move gloating like that.

All I'll say is, I'm lucky enough not to have been affected by it.

• Advertisement

And there in sums up the problems with today's youth graduates, they feel owed a job by the state for getting a degree.

Luck has alot to do with getting a job these days, there are thousands out there with a Masters than can't get a job stacking shelves.

Ah what? I never felt owed a job by the state !!

I applied for one and got it because I had the necessary qualifications and skills that the job required. That has nothing to do with luck, it is to do with me studying my ass off in college (my grades reflected how hard I studied, I did not get them through luck).

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

I have to disagree with that one - plenty of others with similar or even higher qualifications that can't get a job. Luck definitely has a part to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Lets see... Net pay down due to higher taxes, lower commission in my work etc.. My job security is not as good as it used to be... I decided to go back to college as a mature student because of the recession and changed the terms of my contract.. Now I work part time, and go to college full time, grant was cut by 60% last year, get €100 a month to live on and wouldn't get JSA or BTEA if I lost my job so will volunteer to do the crappiest things in wok just to keep it.

I have no savings anymore, but I have learned some valuable lifeskills.. The value of money, how to shop and live cheaply, my rent is substantially lower where I am living now than what it was, I don't really get to go out much, once every few months.. Livingsocial deals are the only way I can afford date night once a month with my boyfriend, who has lost his job.

I think everyone should live through a recession, it really does teach you some valuable things, and humility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

he didn't say he was owed a job. He said he earned it through a lot of hard work. That is completely different.

recession hasn't really affected me. I was in college during much of the boom. left the country before the recession hit. I did lose a job due to the company struggling but managed to get another one quickly enough. I have more money now than during the boom but that is mainly due to the fact that I'm no longer a college student.

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Kind of dick move gloating like that.

All I'll say is, I'm lucky enough not to have been affected by it.

It is not gloating, the OP asked if the recession affected us !!

Gloating would be saying "ha ha I have more money than you" or "i have a job and you don't so ha ha"

I feel sorry for people who are unable to get a job or have very little money for whatever reason but I am not gloating in the slightest.

One thing that pisses me off are managers hiring in people from other countries for the sole purpose of saving money and not having the balls to admit that that is exactly what they are doing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We see our friends a lot less. Money is very tight and there is always something, this month it's my car which to be honest is in a jocker and needs a full overhaul.
    Of our group of mates, 3 couples, one couple is in serious trouble and have no money for expensive nights out, so when we do get together it's in someones house. Normally ours. The other couple feel guilty if the four of us go do something nice cause the first couple can't go. We used to go out every weekend, mostly just to the pub for a few.
    Shopping is no longer enjoyable, and buying clothes a luxury. I took a pay cut on my last job and am trying to move to a better paid position, but we'll see. All I can do is keep looking and keep the expenses down.
    We both work hard, still save hard and pay into our pensions, health insurance, pet insurance etc. it's just not as easy as before, but we do know we are lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Same as before luckily enough. Thank fcuk I never got a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Once you accept the way things are and adjust your lifestyle its not that bad. You have to work at it but you can keep your standard of living up.

For examples, petrol is going up but theres better value in used car prices. You can buy carvery dinners in Dublin city centre for €6 or baguettes for €2.50. Get tanked up at home on the cheap before heading out on a Saturday night! Places like Aldi and Penneys are cheap but its easy to get carried away when bargain hunting and buy useless stuff just cause its a bargain. Sell your old stuff on Gumtree or Donedeal and make a few quid.

Smoking, gambling, the cinema, sports and movie tv packages, takeaways etc are luxuries you can live without.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

My income has dropped like many others, and I have less money left over at the end of the month. However, I can pay my bills, and still have a bit left over at the end, so I'm lucky I guess.

My social life has died though, never seems to be a good time when we(friends) can go out, so as a result we dont.

Biggest impact has been on my job. I'm dealing first hand with people who have been hit hard with the recession, as a result I dont enjoy coming to work anymore. Damn hard dealing with so much bad news on an everyday basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As I do contract work, I have found that instead of a week or two at most between contracts, it is two months, which eats away at any savings.

Then there's the USC and the cost of petrol. With those two I am probably €500 a month worse off, so it is hard to replenish the savings you eat into.

But, I have no debts, no negative equity, no car loan, no Credit cards, so in my book I am fairly fortunate.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭The Queen of England

Due to the recession, I had to feed the corgis with fillet steak instead of venison the other day.

I am so ashamed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Due to the recession, I had to feed the corgis with fillet steak instead of venison the other day.

I am so ashamed.

Tut-tut.

This will not do!
    Let them eat cake!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My rent is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've lost a job, had to commute to London for 6 months, managed to find a job with lower pay to get back to Ireland and see my kids more than a day and a half a week, moved house to avail of cheaper rent and reduce commute, I'm running a car that cost less than I frequently spent on a weekend in the boom. My taxes have increased and all-in my net income is down by about 30-40% at the same time I became the sole earner in a family the Revenue won't recognise as such beause we're not married. While my fiancée would only love to go back to work she can neither find a job nor could we afford for her to take one with two little monsters to put in childcare.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I had anything in my account at the end of the month. I can definitely relate to the fear mentioned above: any hassle with the car, with things breaking at home, unexpected bills and the stress of trying to scape by is through the roof. Had two stag do's last month and have two weddings this month: both of close friends that I couldn't avoid and, as such, the noise coming from the car will have to wait another month to be investigated.

Our family circumstances don't permit us to emigrate but if they did we'd be long gone by now. I'm stuck in this country suffering the consequences of the idiots who were in charge for most of my adult life despite my never having voted for them and trying to persuade anyone I knew not to.

Social life is reduced to cans in front of the telly (thank fvck for torrents!) and a night out for one or the other of us every other month or so.

Do I sound pissed off? I am. With the absolute cunts that did this to our economy, with the morons that kept electing them and with myself for not getting out whilst I still could.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Hmm let me see, a couple of job offers which I have been happy to decline apart from one which I might consider, oh and 2 pay rises in the last year so yes the recession is great :)

My earnings increased by a decent amount after the recession hit

There is no need to be smug and arrogant about it.

You're coming across as a prick to be honest.

mod: banned.

fat__tony wrote: »
    There is no need to be smug and arrogant about it.

You're coming across as a prick to be honest.

I am neither smug or arrogant, the OP asked for our opinions and I gave mine. Plain and simple :cool: I can't help it if you don't like my current situation.

and there is no need to be rude by calling me a prick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I have to disagree with that one - plenty of others with similar or even higher qualifications that can't get a job. Luck definitely has a part to play.

Not really. Though it depends on what the qualifications are. If you have a Masters in Computer Science or IT related subject and you can't get a job you're either very picky or not looking in the right places. Or you're exceptionally bad at interviews.

On the other hand, if you've a PHD in some Arts type thing, well you're not exactly in demand right now. Not really luck, just decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Free $900 big screen TV from the Australian Gov.

I like recessions ;)

http://deniskristanda.com/fighting-recession-and-another-42-billion-free-money-for-australian/153

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I am neither smug or arrogant, the OP asked for our opinions and I gave mine. Plain and simple :cool: I can't help it if you don't like my current situation.

and there is no need to be rude by calling me a prick :(

Do you ride the gravy train to work every day? Are you a.....politician?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

token101 wrote: »
    Not really. Though it depends on what the qualifications are. If you have a Masters in Computer Science or IT related subject and you can't get a job you're either very picky or not looking in the right places. Or you're exceptionally bad at interviews.

On the other hand, if you've a PHD in some Arts type thing, well you're not exactly in demand right now. Not really luck, just decisions.

Being in the right place at the right time, applying for a job before someone else more suited...luck does have a part to play.

Advertisement