Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strenght in arms gone?

Options
  • 20-01-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

This is probably very elementary but.....

I started lifting free weights early last year to go with the cardio/endurance stuff i had been doing for years, swimming and cycling mostly. It was all going well, the weights were getting progressively bigger and i definitely started to bulk up a bit although that wasn't the motivation, i just wanted better strength.

Then in october i came off my bike and broke my collarbone. I've made a full recovery from that and went back to the gym last week (after 2.5 months). Now my arms look just the same as they did ie. no visible muscle wastage but there is just no strength in them. I knew going back that i'd have to reduce the amount i was lifting before to get back into it and build up again but even doing that i'm struggling to finish reps and reaching failure way sooner than i thought i would.

Am i just impatient and is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

Cant expect to retain strength when your not lifting fairly regular and especially after an injury.
    Give it time and you should soon be back to where you were before

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You damaged your collarbone and you didn't lift for 10 weeks. You won't get back to where you were in 1 week.

Advertisement