Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury In Skiing Accident

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Felipe Massa, another F1 driver was in a similar state and he made a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Felipe Massa, another F1 driver was in a similar state and he made a full recovery.

Agreed,Massa fully recovered but his career nosedived after it,maybe a coincidence maybe not,but i hope to god Michael recovers and quick

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jesus, I heard about this on the radio yesterday and they were saying he was fine and that reports on the seriousness of his injury were being exaggerated etc. Hope he makes a speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Richard Hammond didn't have a clot on the brain as far as I can remember. That can change things a lot.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not at all, just look at another high profile cranial impact incident with Richard Hammond, he went through all of what we are hearing now about Schumacher, and after several years of rehab management and recovery he is more or less back to where he was, but he himself was first to say that at various points in recovery he thought he was better, only to look back on those points and realise he wasnt better at all.

The Hammond and Stirling Moss documentary on acquired brain injuries is a fascinating watch. Its shows the massive progress in the medicine of the field, but also that recovery to less than 100% can take many years. Hammond had it hard but I hope Schumacher is at least as lucky as him
    Whether or not Schumacher will have a "brain injury" or not remains to be seen. Could easily wake up in a few days and be completely lucid and be at next year's season opener.
    ryanf1 wrote: »
    Richard Hammond didn't have a clot on the brain as far as I can remember. That can change things a lot.
    Hammond's injury was known to be catastrophic straightaway. Schumi's could well be more manageable in the medium term once the first few days are out of the way.

It's all up in the air but I'm fairly optimistic which is unlike me. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Agreed,Massa fully recovered but his career nosedived after it,maybe a coincidence maybe not,but i hope to god Michael recovers and quick

Massa showed some flashes of what he once was this season. Hopefully he'll do well in the Williams next year but I don't see that car being competitive. Although with the new regs who knows.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i came here for jokes...

I am disappoint

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

i came here for jokes...

I am disappoint

Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Hammond himself sed he's still not right yet.

No point guessing, people die from small falls others are perfect after massive injuries. Have to wait and see

Eg arguably Hammond, guy martin, connor Cummins.

You could say there not as competitive but there basically fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

i came here for jokes...

I am disappoint

Story of your life.

Get well soon Schumi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

My husband is a massive fan. Hope Schumacher pulls through

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Always liked Schumy, came across well in interviews and punditing. When you spending most of your life whizzing round bendy circuits in a piece of aluminum at over 300 kph, you wouldn't think a fall skiing would be the thing that'd bring you down. Finger crossed he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Hammond must the luckiest fúcker going. Earning millions for standing beside Clarkson is one thing, but walking away from that crash as well. He should be doing the lottery every week, only he doesnt need to.

Hope Schumacher pulls through. Be awful for arguably the sport's greatest driver to go out like this, at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Still a relatively young man at 44, hopefully he pulls through and makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hope he pulls through

i came here for jokes...

I am disappoint

You carry on like that and you're supposed to be a moderator???? Show some compassion like the rest of us on this thread! IDIOT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Theirs never been a better driver and their'll also never be a better driver, absolute legend, really hope he pulls through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

You carry on like that and you're supposed to be a moderator???? Show some compassion like the rest of us on this thread! IDIOT!!!!

Show some respect and stop bickering. Schumacher wouldn't have wanted people arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I should imagine that if he survives there's the chance of long term brain damage too, it's way too early to know that at the minute.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Show some respect and stop bickering. Schumacher wouldn't have wanted people arguing.

Respect???and you think that supposed "Mod" is showing respect???Schumacher is an F1 God not someone to joke about while in a coma FFS!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I've switched on sky1 for the 8pm headlines to see if any news. The longer it goes on, I don't know is it better or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Respect???and you think that supposed "Mod" is showing respect???Schumacher is an F1 God not someone to joke about while in a coma FFS!!!!!

Get a grip will ya, you would swear the person in question tea bagged Schumacher in his bed or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

What's tea bagging ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

amdublin wrote: »
    I've switched on sky1 for the 8pm headlines to see if any news. The longer it goes on, I don't know is it better or worse.

I'm not too clued into the medical world but I would be thinking there won't be much news on him for another 24/48 hrs judging on what I'm reading in articles etc.,

Absolute hero of mine, he took the rules to the limit on the track, and bent a couple, but he shows what you can achieve with sheer determination and skill. Also a top notch guy who did so much for charity that he never wanted thanks for - none of the big cheque photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Schumacher is an F1 God not someone to joke about while in a coma FFS!!!!!

*Alan Partridge voice.

amdublin wrote: »

The longer it goes on it reminds me of senna,different type of injury but both in the exact same part of the head,but i'm hoping the "no news is good news" theory is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Quit the off topic bickering. Final warning.

mikom wrote: »
    *Alan Partridge voice.

Never watched alan partridge

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

From Sky news (live outside hospital now)

Condition "still critical"

After injuries like this, need to wait 48 hours to see if no more bleeding, and can then do more diagnostics to see extent of damage.
    Tomorrow at noon there should be another press release - written or oral unknown.

Time and prayers needed it sounds like :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

BBC new report from 7pm:

Also, here's an interview Niki Lauda gave earlier:
    Niki Lauda in 'shock' over Michael Schumacher's skiing accident

The former Formula One world champion Niki Lauda has expressed "disbelief " that Michael Schumacher is lying critically ill and in an induced coma in Grenoble after hitting his head on a rock in a skiing accident at the weekend.

Like Schumacher Lauda is a former Ferrari great who won two of his three titles while representing the Scuderia. He said: "I find it completely shocking and unexplainable why this great driver, who won seven championships in over 300 races and stayed alive, could have something like this happen to him. It's tragic.

"He was the greatest driver of them all, with seven titles. Only the great Juan Manuel Fangio comes close to him, with five. He was the perfect racer, with speed, instinct and a great technical understanding."

Lauda, who was involved in a near fatal crash as an F1 driver and is now non-executive chairman at Mercedes, added: "Michael is a very good skier and what happened to him could have happened to anyone. He's a perfect man, a solid man, an outstanding guy. He would not take unnecessary risks. He's not stupid. I certainly would not expect him to do something crazy in front of his own son."

Early in his career the skydiving, motorcycling, horse-riding and skiing Schumacher was described by Fangio as "the greatest of adventurers". Fangio said in the 1990s: "We racing drivers are adventurers. The more difficult something is, the greater the attraction that comes from it. Michael Schumacher is the greatest of the adventurers."

In 2009 the German suffered neck and spinal injuries in a serious motorcycling accident. And he is not the first F1 driver to find life more dangerous away from the track. Didier Pironi was killed in a power boating accident, Graham Hill died when the private plane he was piloting crashed and the rally champion Colin McRae was fatally wounded in a helicopter mishap.

In addition Mark Webber broke his leg on a mountain bike in Tasmania and Robert Kubica's highly promising F1 career ended when he crashed while taking part in a minor rally. Kimi Raikkonen, meanwhile, was injured in a snowmobile accident.

Lauda amitted he was very worried about Schumacher's condition. "The news is not encouraging at all. That is my worry and that is why I'm praying for him." Indeed the F1 world appears to be conducting a vigil at the bedside of the German, who is in a "critical situation" according to the chief anaesthetist Jean-François Payen.

One of his greatest rivals in the 1990s, Damon Hill, said: "We are all praying for Michael's speedy and full recovery and our thoughts are with Corinna [Schumacher's wife] and the children."

His fellow Sky F1 commentator Martin Brundle said: "Michael's accident is distressing and a great shock, and we have to be very concerned about his chances of survival and return to full health. From what we are told it looks very serious indeed, and we can only hope for the best along with his lovely family.

"Michael loves to challenge race tracks on superbikes and he often excitedly shows his many amazing skydiving pictures on his phone. He's only a year out of the F1 cockpit but as a driven and competitive person you can't simply switch off and settle down at the end of a long career.

"You need challenges and achievements to keep the adrenalin flowing. But from what I read he wasn't taking undue risks on the ski slopes, and it seems he's been very unlucky on this one. It's not uncommon for racers to survive many big accidents to then be injured in cars, aviation, bikes, on water, or indeed ski slopes. The need for machinery and speed will always be there, it's inevitable.

"When I read that Michael had received a blow to the right side of his head I couldn't help but think of Ayrton [Senna], and pondered why these things so often happen to the truly great."

The current world champion, Sebastian Vettel, who idolised Schumacher, said: "I am shocked and I hope that he gets better as quickly as possible. I wish his family much strength."

Derek Warwick, who raced in F1 in the 1980s and 1990s and is now president of the British Racing Drivers Club, said he believed Schumacher's fighting spirit would help him overcome his accident. "The world of motorsport is holding their breath at the moment. it is a very difficult time for everybody, It makes us realise how vulnerable we are," he said.

"People have to remember that racing drivers and bike riders are a different breed of people. They don't seek danger but we are people that live life to the maximum. I still do to this day and I am now 59 years old."

The German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, was "extremely shocked along with millions of Germans" to hear of Schumacher's plight. The government's spokesman Steffen Seibert said: "We listened to the doctors earlier as they described the situation as extraordinarily serious.

"We hope, along with Michael Schumacher and his family, that his injuries will heal and he will recover. We wish his wife, his children and the rest of his family strength and mutual support."

Advertisement