Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

been a while since this was referenced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Above reminded me of this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Good videos - you see on Boards all the time, particularly on economic topics and peoples pet political topics, some posters use constant condescension to try and create such a 'social cost' as mentioned in those videos, for holding certain views that disagree with them - and to promote conformity and 'Us vs Them' thinking within their own ranks.

That's part of (by no means the primary part/reason though) why I think that kind of non-mod-actionable condescension (which unfortunately many mods/admins engage in), is extremely poisonous to quality debate - though it's damaging for other much bigger reasons too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Derp. Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors conference.

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/gardai-concerned-that-walkie-talkie-sets-pose-risks-to-their-health-31106348.html
    Association vice president Willie Gleeson said Tetra was an encrypted and safe radio system, that could not be hacked. [...] The only protection for gardai using their sets in a patrol vehicle was to wind down the windows.
    Unhackable too? The standards might be ok, but most security system fail at the implementation level:

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/TETRA-digital-radio-now-for-everyone-1254088.html

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...some experts had warned that using the Tetra sets indoors was similar to being in a microwave oven.
    Apart from the minor detail that Tetra radios don't use microwaves.

I'd love to know who the "some experts" are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

oscarBravo wrote: »

I'd love to know who the "some experts" are.

The Girl Against Microwaves, with her €400 certificate qualifying her as an angel healer? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Well, technically the microwave spectrum is very broad and is normally defined as wavelengths between 1 m and 1 mm, which corresponds to a frequency range between 300 MHz and 300 GHz. I think Tetra operates around 380 MHz so they're technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Above reminded me of this...

This always makes me laugh...the pressure to conform made almost silly!

TheChizler wrote: »
    Well, technically the microwave spectrum is very broad and is normally defined as wavelengths between 1 m and 1 mm, which corresponds to a frequency range between 300 MHz and 300 GHz. I think Tetra operates around 380 MHz so they're technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

Meh. 300MHz will always be UHF to me.

Also, even if you define it as microwave, it ignores the fact that a microwave oven works by directing microwaves into an enclosed space from which they can't escape, creating standing waves that cook food by dielectric heating.

I think the risk of being cooked by your hand-held Tetra radio is waaay down the list of things the average Garda needs to worry about.

I haven't seen Theramin's video because my internet is on strike. So maybe he mentioned this. The most interesting thing about those conformity (and other human behaviour) videos is not that people conform but that most others who watch them, us, still believe we wouldn't conform. It's a common thing about us that we accept that humans behave a certain way "but not me I'm different".

I think the most interesting thing is I cannot honestly say whether I would have conformed in any of those experiments or not. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Really excellent article on how computer-aided-telepathy (read before judgement) could aid psychopaths, rather than be a force for good - one of the best/most-scientific breakdowns of 'empathy' that I've read:
    http://aeon.co/magazine/psychology/can-we-harness-telepathy-for-moral-good/

Also, even if you define it as microwave, it ignores the fact that a microwave oven works by directing microwaves into an enclosed space from which they can't escape, creating standing waves that cook food by dielectric heating.

I think the risk of being cooked by your hand-held Tetra radio is waaay down the list of things the average Garda needs to worry about.
    Well yeah, it wasn't exactly your average physicist (or LC Physics exam attendee) who came up with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Here's the CT paper on Tetra radiation. The supposed dangers appear to be based on the cumulative effects of different types of electro magnetic radiation, making them worse than ordinary mobile phones (in an equally indeterminate sort of way)

recedite wrote: »
    Here's the CT paper on Tetra radiation. The supposed dangers appear to be based on the cumulative effects of different types of electro magnetic radiation, making them worse than ordinary mobile phones (in an equally indeterminate sort of way)

Oh dear.

3D Caméra inside a water bubble in a low gravity environment.

Would dearly love to see the 3d version.

Edit: might as well add this one here too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Derp. Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors conference.

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/gardai-concerned-that-walkie-talkie-sets-pose-risks-to-their-health-31106348.html

Well I suppose that winding down the windows would let the nasty microwaves out. That's logical. Our finest anti-criminal minds are at work here.

And someone should also clue him in on the fact that encryption doesn't endeavour to make something impossible to hack (because such encryption is impossible), but that it simply makes the endeavour so time and resource heavy that it is pointless.
    Turtwig wrote: »
    I haven't seen Theramin's video because my internet is on strike. So maybe he mentioned this. The most interesting thing about those conformity (and other human behaviour) videos is not that people conform but that most others who watch them, us, still believe we wouldn't conform. It's a common thing about us that we accept that humans behave a certain way "but not me I'm different".

I think the most interesting thing is I cannot honestly say whether I would have conformed in any of those experiments or not.

Oh, yes. We all do it, we think, subconsciously, that "I am the only true human", and that everybody else is essentially a 2d cardboard cut-out which runs to a rigid and regular programme. That is why we are so suprised when somebody else does something we don't expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

And someone should also clue him in on the fact that encryption doesn't endeavour to make something impossible to hack (because such encryption is impossible), but that it simply makes the endeavour so time and resource heavy that it is pointless.

Oh, yes. We all do it, we think, subconsciously, that "I am the only true human", and that everybody else is essentially a 2d cardboard cut-out which runs to a rigid and regular programme. That is why we are so suprised when somebody else does something we don't expect.

Well you might but as a true human I know I don't! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,097 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    Unhackable too? The standards might be ok, but most security system fail at the implementation level:

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/TETRA-digital-radio-now-for-everyone-1254088.html

Err that seems to say that unencrypted TETRA radio (private sector) can be listened into. Who knew?

However there is a multitude of examples of badly implemented encryption which can easily be defeated or bypassed. Peter Gutmann's presentation on this topic 'Crypto Won't Save You Either' is well worth a read and I've posted it in the Info Sec forum before.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/crypto_wont_help.pdf

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Meh. 300MHz will always be UHF to me.

Well of course there are huge issues here.

The cavity of a microwave oven is specifically designed to produce a pattern of standing waves which will effectively cook food. A random vehicle interior is not.

The power level in a microwave oven is of the order of 100 times higher.

A microwave oven uses a frequency of 2.45 GHz which is an excitation frequency of the water molecule. RF energy which isn't of a frequency which affects molecules in biological tissue will simply pass through it.

Strictly speaking the above isn't correct. Any molecule with a dielectric moment is subject to heating when subjected to microwave energy. At low energy levels and at a far lower frequency (300MHz band) however no adverse effects have been demonstrated or are theoretically likely.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

It seems atheism has a new recruiter. His name? Ted Cruz.

From the New Yorker:

“As an atheist, I naturally don’t believe in the power of Christ to transform people,” she said. “But I definitely believe in the power of Ted Cruz to transform people into atheists.”

• Advertisement

James Krupa, a professor of biology at the University of Kentucky talks about why he continues the relatively thankless task of attempting to teach evolution in Kentucky:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2015/03/teaching_human_evolution_at_the_university_of_kentucky_there_are_some_students.2.html

Earth’s First Jedi Temple To Be Built

The New York Times hires a graphic artist to answer the question "What is the Higgs Boson?"

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/10/08/science/the-higgs-boson.html

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

A global religion poll by WIN/Gallup is reported in a number of papers today. I can't find the original data, but a lot of the figures are reported in the news articles linked:

UK Independent

Telegraph

Ireland's figures:
    • 45% religious
    • 41% not religious
    • 10% atheist
    • 5% don't know / didn't say

Western Europe, Oceania are the least religious continents, and China the most atheist nation (61%).

Wealthier and more educated people are less religious, while younger people are more religious. However, age profile, wealth and level of education all vary hugely between countries and are likely to be correlated. This means we can't say if any or all of these trends apply within countries, unless the numbers are analysed appropriately.

How my wife’s death has helped Ireland become more inclusive - Michael Nugent

Dunnes Stores’ silence and devotion
    Ben [Sr.] did give one interview to The Irish Times in the summer of 1971 and told the journalist "I run my place like the Catholic Church…a very successful organisation".
    As for the much vaunted religiosity of certain members of the Dunnes family, it has long been apparent in this Republic – and was a point made vigorously by John Conroy, president of the ITGWU in the 1960s and a champion of low paid workers at a time when Ben was building his empire – that you can be so religious, you forget to be Christian.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/new-bishop-reaches-out-to-non-practising-catholics-1.2173375
    President Michael D Higgins was represented at the episcopal ordination by his aide-de- camp Lt Col Michael Kiernan, while Comdt Kieran Carey represented Taoiseach Enda Kenny.

Umm, why? Why would the President and Taoiseach be expected to attend or send representatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

darjeeling wrote: »
    A global religion poll by WIN/Gallup is reported in a number of papers today. I can't find the original data...

Found it now: pdf here.

Almost two thirds of Irish people surveyed aged 65+ are religious, falling steadily to only one third of people aged 18-24.

Two thirds of Irish people say they distrust religious leaders, while only 18% trust them. Only politicians and bankers are more distrusted.

... and 73% of people consider themselves Catholic, Protestant, other Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Jewish, but only 45% say they are religious, so there's a clear disconnect between having a religion and actually believing it.

And now for something completely different...
    Had to post this.

The good folks at SpaceX have tried, for a second time, to land a rocket at sea. There are two obvious problems with this and yesterday, I think they suffered from at least one of them:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/14/8417621/watch-spacex-falcon-9-rocket-landing

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    The good folks at SpaceX have tried, for a second time, to land a rocket at sea. There are two obvious problems with this and yesterday, I think they suffered from at least one of them:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/14/8417621/watch-spacex-falcon-9-rocket-landing
    And a hi-res video of the same!

Advertisement