Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Desire HD is official

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

HooRay anyone care to guess when we can expect it over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Happy that I can wait until a decent development before upgrading, ie 2ghz processor and gingerbread. This is too incremental a change for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Is it just me or does it look bloody huge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 alanmce

JohnK wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it look bloody huge?

looks about the sae size as samsung galaxy s

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

alanmce wrote: »
    looks about the sae size as samsung galaxy s

Little bigger even.

http://www.htc.com/europe/product/desirehd/overview.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I thought there would be more to it :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

DGRulz wrote: »
    HooRay anyone care to guess when we can expect it over here?

I have this vision of networks (here) holding it back until after Xmas so as to shift the original Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,010 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

wernstrom! wrote: »
    I have this vision of networks (here) holding it back until after Xmas so as to shift the original Desire.

they don't have Desires in stock to shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bugzy

it just looks like a remade version of the HD2 with a few extra features.

don't see nothing there worth jumping the hedge for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

http://www.phonesonline.ie/product_detail.asp?nw=HTC%20Sim%20Free

699 euro ouch!!

Wonder will Meteor pick this up on pay as you go for cheaper??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Also the Desire Z (QWERTY)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Will it have better battery life? I just got the HTC Desire but to say the battery is shocking is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Well the Desire Z has a 1300mAh SLCD 3.7'' screen and the current Desire has a 1400mAh OLED 3.5'' screen. The important item I believe with the Desire is the auto syncing (constant Widget updates) or staying connected on the WiFi ...apparently.
    The Desdire HD is also SLCD 4.3'' but 1230mAh battery,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bugzy

http://www.phonesonline.ie/product_detail.asp?nw=HTC%20Sim%20Free

699 euro ouch!!

Wonder will Meteor pick this up on pay as you go for cheaper??

Hardly. Look at meteor PAYG range... Poor poor poor
    Zascar wrote: »
    Will it have better battery life? I just got the HTC Desire but to say the battery is shocking is an understatement.

the comment above is wrong. as the HTC website state it has 1230mah capacity battery (same as the HTC HD2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

No doubt meteor will get all these in. I'm so glad they went the Android route and stayed away from ios

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ya be wishful thinking Meteor getting this as a pay as you go option.
    I am just not to keen on paying a bill i like idea of just paying the 20 a month getting all my free txts to any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Mmm I don’t really understand this model, without a new cpu in it there's nothing that would tempt me about it, actually not having physical buttons is a disadvantage for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,010 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/meteor?v=wall&story_fbid=154278141262897&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment

Meteor confirming to me on Facebook that the Desire HD will release on their network October/November.

Christmas present picked (unless a better phone is announced between now and then)!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

FYI: according to
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_%28processor%29
    and
    http://smartphonebenchmarks.com/forum/index.php?/topic/61-what-is-adreno-205-and-how-does-it-compare-to-other-gpus/

The Desire HD has a MSM8255 chipset, including "Hardware-accelerated SVG and Adobe Flash", "significant improvements in shader performance over Adreno 200 GPU"

"Based on the early benchmark results, Adreno 205 [Desire HD] is expected to be about four times faster than Adreno 200 [Desire]. Samsung's Hummingbird with PowerVR SGX540 [Galaxy S] is expected to beat Adreno 205 by a small margin, however. Still, given that nothing touches the performance of SGX540 today (that's right, iPhone 4 is not even close!), this is quite an improvement."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

batman2000 wrote: »
    Well the Desire Z has a 1300mAh SLCD 3.7'' screen and the current Desire has a 1400mAh OLED 3.5'' screen. The important item I believe with the Desire is the auto syncing (constant Widget updates) or staying connected on the WiFi ...apparently.
    The Desdire HD is also SLCD 4.3'' but 1230mAh battery,

Current Desire has a 3.7" screen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Is it worth upgrading from the Desire?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Hogzy wrote: »
    No doubt meteor will get all these in. I'm so glad they went the Android route and stayed away from ios

Did they have a choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Zascar wrote: »
    Is it worth upgrading from the Desire?

TBH i don't think it is, even after the release of the new phones i'm still looking for the desire, i just want to know if this improved sense will be added to the existing desire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

All I'm saying is this is my new phone, I've been stuck w/ an LG Viewty since christmas '08. At first I had my eye on a Nexus One - couldnt get my hands on one. Then I discovered the Desire - Just missed out on getting one . But w/ God as my witness I'm getting this phone. Also my mp3 player died the other day so that can be replaced w/ this too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Kenno90 wrote: »
    TBH i don't think it is, even after the release of the new phones i'm still looking for the desire, i just want to know if this improved sense will be added to the existing desire

As I mentioned here:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68038669&postcount=5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well for people who have been looking forward to buying a new phone and dont own a good smartphone its probably a great thing.

People that do already own a desire or a hd2 here really wouldn't notice a massive difference if they changed.

And it does have a better CPU. Its slightly more efficient :) by 5 points to be exact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Looking forward to this...Have a htc hero at the moment and managed to cancel my contract with Meteor recently in the whole debacle so am now on PAYG...

Any ideas when Meteor will be stocking and prices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

nellocono wrote: »
    Looking forward to this...Have a htc hero at the moment and managed to cancel my contract with Meteor recently in the whole debacle so am now on PAYG...

Wont be for another month I'd say, pricing should be the same as the Desire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

nellocono wrote: »

im in the same boat as yourself. rang up a meteor store today and they had no idea. but according to their facebook they should be getting them in oct/nov no ideas on price

Advertisement