Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor & Android

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

It is the same issue, affects all devices. Avoid Meteor! These people who say they have no issues must be incredibly lucky somehow... Maybe the problem only affects certain cells in meteors network?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I have the N1 and at least once a day it will have Emergency Calls only and have to reboot the phone. Sounds simular to what is happening with some guys here.

Same here. My N1 looses connection every time I use USB-tethering and usually once a day when I don't use it. You should try Airplane Toggle Widget. Its faster than rebooting every time.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Every now and then I will have to restart my phone to get a signal back, even when in an area with excellent signal. Bit of a pain, tbh. This is with Meteor. It didn't happen me for the first month I was with them, but then last month it seems to happen on a near daily basis.

You can toggle airplane mode, you don't actually have to fully reboot. But yes it's a MASSIVE pain tbh. Make sure everyone knows... Are the people that don't have this issue living outside dublin btw?

If this was america there would be a lawsuit against Meteor for this ****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Void wrote: »
    It is the same issue, affects all devices. Avoid Meteor! These people who say they have no issues must be incredibly lucky somehow... Maybe the problem only affects certain cells in meteors network?

Maybe everyone else has been incredibly lucky or maybe, just maybe you have been unlucky??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I live outside Dublin. Ill ring up meteor tomorrow and get it logged. It is annoying to say the least. Thanks for the tip on the airoplane mode.

@adrian: Try tethering your phone, then you will see it. It has been a lot better lately admittedly, only happens when tethering now. But stop telling us that there is no issue.... Are all us "unlucky" people suffering from some kind of mass delusion?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I didnt tell you there was no issue. I told you I haven't experienced any issue. I have no need or want to thether my phone, I use wifi at home and at work.

Are the guys without the problem on billpay or PAYG?

@adrian: If you use wifi all the time ofc there will be no problem.....

• Advertisement

On billpay...talking about wifi for the laptop, I still use 1gb per month of data...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Billpay. Never had the issue and neither have both of my mates on meteor with a Desire.

I'm billpay and live in Dublin. Reception isn't great where I live so wouldn't be sure it isn't just crappy signal, but I work near Heuston station and the 3g signal is strong there and I have noticed having no coverage a few times while there and is ok when I restart sitting in the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I am pretty gutted that I moved to Meteor now. Billpay from Vodafone.

The reception where I live in Barna County Galway has become terrible in the last 4 weeks, it used to be fine before that.

GPRS everywhere for data outside of Galway, Limerick and Dublin is crap too.

The amount of money I save is irrelevant compared to the reduced service I get from when I switched from Vodafone, and the Meteor customer service at call center is abysmal in comparison.

I also get the no service problem too now at home - it is happening to me now.

It has gotten so bad for me recently...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Am I missing something here? if meteors network is not working correctly for people, how come you haven't moved already? If you're on PAYG its a no brainer. If on contact, you should have no problems getting out of contact if meteor cannot provide the service adequately.

If people are still with meteor notwithstanding these issues, then I can't see how it is as big any issue as is being made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

floggg wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? if meteors network is not working correctly for people, how come you haven't moved already? If you're on PAYG its a no brainer. If on contact, you should have no problems getting out of contact if meteor cannot provide the service adequately.

If people are still with meteor notwithstanding these issues, then I can't see how it is as big any issue as is being made out.

people have left and gotten refunded for their devices - check the links I posted from the meteor forums themselves.

It's a coin toss to leave - some people learn to live with it (rebooting,airplane mode switcharoo). I'd be gone in a flash personally - but a lot of people don't even know their rights in such matters.

There is no real alternative to move to. 3 experiences similar connection loss but for data only (voice still works). Vodafone don't have good data bundle, O2 portblock everything.

There is no real alternative to move to. 3 experiences similar connection loss but for data only (voice still works). Vodafone don't have good data bundle, O2 portblock everything.

Well in another thread you advice a guy thinking if moving from a iphone 4 to a desire to "STAY CLEAR OFF METEOR". Bit hypocritical if you still feel they are the best fit for you, no?

I'm goin back to 3. Data may drop but at least I don't miss calls. My point was all Irish networks are awful, some less so than others.

So shouldn't you have said stay clear of them all so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

I'm in Wicklow and Dublin and I've a meteor bill pay Desire and do not experience outages like people are mentioning. However, since I moved from Vodafone to meteor I cannot receive calls or texts from anyone who is on Vodafone, its been going on for a week and a half now, customer service is terrible as well. Kind of regretting moving now...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

O2 portblock everything.
    What do O2 portblock? I've never had a problem on the O2 data network

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

For what its worth, I got a Desire on Meteor about 3 weeks ago.

Never had any of these problems.

28064212 wrote: »
    What do O2 portblock? I've never had a problem on the O2 data network
    OK, apparently I was wrong. On O2 PAYG, Google account sync (Calendar, email, contacts) isn't working. Anybody know anything about this?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

OK, apparently I was wrong. On O2 PAYG, Google account sync (Calendar, email, contacts) isn't working. Anybody know anything about this?

Jebus. That's a serious problem.

JustinOval wrote: »
    Jebus. That's a serious problem.
    Meh, I'd say most people on PAYG with no data add-on do what I do - stick to WiFi for the most part. It is annoying though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Oh yeah, good point.

Ok, apparently I was wrong again :pac:

Posted on the O2 forums, was just a matter of removing the port and proxy from the APN settings

Hasn't happened me in several days now.

• Advertisement

JustinOval wrote: »
    Oh yeah, good point.

My cousin couldn't use android market on O2 with billpay. Maybe he has something set wrong. Also had many problems with O2 whilst testing software in the past, any http not on port 80 gets blocked, stuff like that. O2s best dataplan is ONLY available if you buy an iphone with 18month contract (info was valid when I was shopping around in mar/apr).

Advertisement