Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here, part 3 (Quote A Photo, GET A 24 HOUR BAN!!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Here's our Sunday car:
    It's a stock 1991 Toyota MR2, 2.0 NA 3s-ge engine, an original UK car. Still got all the tools in the toolbag, and the bags for the Targa tops. No rust in the body, brakes aren't sticking, and it's on a classic policy (thankfully!). The lack of power steering or ABS or traction control or aircon is not really missed in this car. It's a pretty car in bettter than average condition. It's definitely quick enough to get into trouble with a 0-60 about 7.2 sec or so and a measured top speed above 140mph (previous owner on a track in the UK). Nice thing about this car is that it feels quick, even when travelling at the ordinary speed limit. It makes ordinary driving fun, and it rewards precision of control use. The 215-width tyres on the front are not that hard to turn at all, and it does feel a lot like a kart when driving around, fantastic feedback through the steering wheel. There are 255 tyres on the rear making it less skittish than the normal 195/205 for normal driving. It isn't abused and it's not taken out in slippery weather as neither of us has enough experience with this car yet to be happy in the cold and wet with it.

158bhp in a 1200 kg body, roof panels come out, enough boot space for myself and my girlfriend to go away camping for the weekend.

Perfect Sunday car!

MR2_wheels.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Nice car but them wheels do nothing for it and I would take what the previous owner told you about getting 140 out of it, you'd have a job getting it up to that speed on a runway never mind a track.

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    Nice car but them wheels do nothing for it ..........

I'd say them 255 clad back wheels do quite a bit, it is a Gen1 after all

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    Nice car but them wheels do nothing for it and I would take what the previous owner told you about getting 140 out of it, you'd have a job getting it up to that speed on a runway never mind a track.

I've been a passenger in it at an indicated 143 with a little bit left in it.. Did the maths and that was a real 134, so I'd say the 140 probably isn't possible with a 20-year non-rebuilt original engine but it's definitely a quick motor.

The wheels, :P I like them and the girlfriend likes them as well, and as she owns half of the car, that's important! It took a lot of finding to get the right offset for the car, with staggered widths front and back (17x8 front and 17x9 on the rear). They're a lot better than the wheels that were on it when I got it a few years ago - there were 16x6 and I couldn't put the proper width tyres on it. The old wheels will make great mounts for good winter tyres though.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'd say them 255 clad back wheels do quite a bit, it is a Gen1 after all

True, but as it's a Sunday car for driving and enjoying, instead of hooning around, I'll take the extra safety margin in ordinary driving over the change in handling at the limit. The rears do look good though when you are behind it on the road.

• Advertisement

Popoutman wrote: »
    True, but as it's a Sunday car for driving and enjoying, instead of hooning around, I'll take the extra safety margin in ordinary driving over the change in handling at the limit. The rears do look good though when you are behind it on the road.

'tis that I'm referring to, the Gen1s were/are well twitchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

RoverJames wrote: »
    'tis that I'm referring to, the Gen1s were/are well twitchy.

Is that car not a Gen2?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I've always liked those sw20 MR2's. I remember the first time I saw one I thought it was a Ferrari and then seen the toyota badge and thought thats a Toyota? That look cool! I was alot younger back in those days to:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

h3000 wrote: »
    Is that car not a Gen2?

Its a Gen 1 of the Gen 2 model:D

They had a slightly harder suspension set up which was changed when all the motoring journo's of the time said it was too twitchy and prone to snap over steer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Its a Gen 1 of the Gen 2 model:D

They had a slightly harder suspension set up which was changed when all the motoring journo's of the time said it was too twitchy and prone to snap over steer.

AAaahhh :D

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

h3000 wrote: »
    Is that car not a Gen2?
    MR2 SW20, generally known as a Mk2 Gen1.
    It's got the better if more twitchy handling that was softened up by a revised rear suspension geometry in the Mk2 gen2, as lesser-skilled drivers were losing too often on the road. The gen1 is supposedly a better track car, but the gen2+ would be better for us mere mortals. Hence why I don't go too hard in it. I should try to get some track/skidpan time in it to get the practice of collecting it when it does step out, and help my confidence.

@Mondeo - yeah I've always quite liked the shape, there's something about the proportions that Toyota bodywork designers just got right for the cars of this era - the Mk2 MR2, the 5th gen Celica, the Supra mkIV. Pity Toyota seem to have lost their way of late for properly sporty cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Matt Simis wrote: »
    My winter project car:

Very rusty and needs a few (more) parts replaced. Been working on it already for a few weeks. It was scheduled for breaking due to the rust and expense of getting sorted, but given what it is I jumped in and offered to buy as it: An E34 540i 6speed manual (1/225 rare) in Daytona Violet (BMW Individual special order, also rare) with BBS Style 19 wheels (yes again, quite rare ;) ).
    It already had the e34 3.23 M5 LSD in it and what I assume are cropped springs as it rides like it has concrete boots on (shocks mismatched to springs I figure).

Ive done a host of mods to it already and plan to do some crazy stuff with it. :cool:

If you don't me asking how much did you pick it up for?
    I have always wanted to get a project car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

focus_mad wrote: »
    If you don't me asking how much did you pick it up for?
    I have always wanted to get a project car!!

Basically the parts price, under EUR1500 inc the wheels. Depending how much one would like to get perfect vs just working could spend the EUR500 to 2500 again on it.

Its a Gen 1 of the Gen 2 model:D........

now that I think about it was there not rev1, rev2 and rev3 terminology ?

Basically the parts price, under EUR1500 inc the wheels. Depending how much one would like to get perfect vs just working could spend the EUR500 to 2500 again on it.

Yeah? :eek: Gotta say that is a damn good deal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Was ok, this is Ireland, its an old V8, like selling cancer on wheels, unsellable. Have a look at similar on Donedeal! The problem isnt the price, its the rarity.

Was ok, this is Ireland, its an old V8, like selling cancer on wheels, unsellable. Have a look at similar on Donedeal! The problem isnt the price, its the rarity.

Yeah you have a very valid point. If I was too pick something up it'd have to be different anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭phoenix_nights2

Loving the 605 i picked up. Everything working except one window.

08102011671.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great pics as always

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

My new motor. 523i SE.

6zvkeq.jpg

29vfnug.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Someone on here (you know who you are ;) ) has forced me to look through my car pics (some more reliabelt than others)....

To give the thread some life again, I'm reposting my beloved LS400.

sideOn201105.jpg

Gone but not forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Forgotten but not gone.:)

(just jokin')

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

What led to the departure of the lexus E39?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

What led to the departure of the lexus E39?

Peak oil! :D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

1566 road tax and 3 other cars :( Poxy country

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭phoenix_nights2

New purchase. (working in NZ). Canopy will be taken off making it my city to surf vehicle..

192417793_full.jpg

192418236_full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The Astra with her lovely new clean shoes. ordered an Eibach Pro-Kit today too so will be dropping her a fraction in the coming weeks as she's a bit high at the front.

astrapenta.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Oh yes! Sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Oh yes! VERY nice ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement