Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liverpool

How do I see wholesale vs retail on map and what does this mean?
    dbit wrote: »
    Hmmmm on wholesale still says building in macroom exchange .............
    yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

liverpool wrote: »
    How do I see wholesale vs retail on map and what does this mean?

Wholesale = http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/
    Retail = http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Retail is used by salespeople who you ring up to order eFibre from and we all trust them to be 100%, bang-on, totally and completely accurate - right? :rolleyes:

The wholesale should be actually be closer to the truth - don't know why though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Is it certain that the WIP exchanges (turned blue ) got approval for evdsl from comreg ?

Any body know the answer for this question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Akenny010 wrote: »
    The exchanged I'm connected to has finally turned blue & says

ETY1_E01

Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress

Any idea how long this process takes & how long it should take to get an estimated date? Thanks

I spoke to the guy working on my exchange the other day, he reckoned about 4 weeks from when they finish, the put the tarmac back down today so fingers crossed i'll have fiber in the next 6 weeks or so, 480mt from the exchange to my hallway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What we might see isntead of lower profiles is cab launched ADSL. Theres room for the cards in a riser if they wanted to do it and COMREG allowed it. In rural areas using cabs as remote ADSL service units could make a big impact.
    This is also a consequence of eircom's procurement choice. 192 port DSLAMS, often with many ports unused like in the Dunleer and Termonfeckin exchange areas, while a hundred or so customers who could benefit (especially with the Termonfeckin cabinets) can get nothing. I can't find any absolute technical reasons why VDSL2 couldn't be used at very low speeds with long-line tailored PSD masks (like perhaps using profile 8b) and a willingness by eircom, huawei and ComReg to let it happen.

Most importantly, VDSL2 line cards are backwards-compatible with ADSL2+ anyway!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lucernarian, I think and hope that it is just a case of them being focused on the low hanging fruit of high speed VDSL.

I'm hoping that when they complete the VDSL rollout, that they don't just turn all their attention to FTTH and will also look at getting most out of the FTTC cabs too by:

1) Enabling ADSL2+ from the cabs for longer lines.
    2) Reroute long lines to closer FTTC cabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

bk wrote: »
    lucernarian, I think and hope that it is just a case of them being focused on the low hanging fruit of high speed VDSL.

I'm hoping that when they complete the VDSL rollout, that they don't just turn all their attention to FTTH and will also look at getting most out of the FTTC cabs too by:

1) Enabling ADSL2+ from the cabs for longer lines.
    2) Reroute long lines to closer FTTC cabs.
    They'd be better off spending the money on more eVDSL than enabling ten lines in the case of one cabinet in Drogheda.

There are some reports I read here that at least 2) is happening but it seems that nowadays there are legal issues with transferring lines to cabinets served by different exchanges, even if it's just an RSU of a nearby exchange. I know that a couple of thousand lines on the southern edge of Drogheda were all collectively transferred to a new exchange and DSLAM in the area engineering headquarters but perhaps a deal was done with BT (the only LLU operator in Drogheda) to cheaply allow LLU access in the new exchange as there were still thousands of lines that could be served. This was several years ago now and I don't have enough info on how those lines were transferred en-masse.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They'd be better off spending the money on more eVDSL than enabling ten lines in the case of one cabinet in Drogheda.

This isn't just about Drogheda, there are lines all over the country that are more then 2km from a cab, but would get better performance from the cab if it had ADSL2+ enabled.

The priorities should be:
    1) deploy VDSL cabs
    2) EVDSL
    3) reroute cables to closer cabs
    4) enable ADSL2+ from cabs

My sisters home is a perfect example of 3, she seems to be just 850 Meters from a cab which for some strange reason it seems her cable passes right by, but doesn't connect to, instead connecting directly to the exchange 2.5km away!

Of course EVDSL is important, however the delay with it doesn't seem to have anything to do with priorities or money, in fact it is pretty cheap to stick a VDSL rack in an exchange. No the issue seems to be regulatory.

I say enable ADSL2+ in cabs is lowest priority, assuming that it isn't a simple throwing of a software switch in the cab to enable it, if it is that simple (if the VDSL cards are backwards compatible with ADSL2+ as some have suggested, then obviously the priority should be increased).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Anyone got this exchange launched service yet?

If so please post speed tests and line stats. I'm curious to see how it compares to FTTC.

Calling it "fibre" is a bit of a stretch though. I don't think that should be allowed as a marketing term. It's exchange launched DSL just like an enhanced version of ADSL. No fibre in the local loop is involved at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bk wrote: »
    I say enable ADSL2+ in cabs is lowest priority, assuming that it isn't a simple throwing of a software switch in the cab to enable it, if it is that simple (if the VDSL cards are backwards compatible with ADSL2+ as some have suggested, then obviously the priority should be increased).

Thats bound to run in the same objections from LLU operators, probably why they havent tried it already.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Thats bound to run in the same objections from LLU operators, probably why they havent tried it already.

Yes, I was thinking the same. Though I do think they should do it from exchanges with no LLU, just like they seem to be doing with EVDSL.

Though I do understand that EVDSL is the priority and one battle at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Calling it "fibre" is a bit of a stretch though. I don't think that should be allowed as a marketing term. It's exchange launched DSL just like an enhanced version of ADSL. No fibre in the local loop is involved at all.

It's all copper feeding into fibre backhaul, doesn't really make much difference where the fibre starts.

Having marketed VDSL as "eFibre" I'm curious as to how they will market FTTH when it launches in August - "SuperFibre", "FibrePlus"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Super ultra mega photon array Quantum light Fiber ? Copyright DBit ( F you Eircom its mine)

loyatemu wrote: »
    It's all copper feeding into fibre backhaul, doesn't really make much difference where the fibre starts.

Having marketed VDSL as "eFibre" I'm curious as to how they will market FTTH when it launches in August - "SuperFibre", "FibrePlus"?

I think they will simply market it as eFibre 150, eFibre 300 and eFibre 1000 or eFibre Giga, something like that.

Maybe they will call it eFiber+ 150, but they won't stray too far from the eFibre name.

Eircom won't really want to differentiate between VDSL and FTTH. Remember FTTH is much more expensive then VDSL for Eircom and 100Mb/s VDSL is probably plenty fast for most people for the foreseeable future. Eircom will probably want to keep most people on VDSL for as long as possible.

Thus Eircom probably won't want to emphasise too much of a difference between VDSL and FTTH. Instead they will likely just emphasise the different speeds offered and I would assume a price premium for the higher speeds of FTTH.

That way most people will probably happily stay on VDSL and only the high end users like us here on this forum will sign up for FTTH.

Also remember it won't all be FTTH, there will also likely be a mix of FTTDP/G.Fast (last 100 meters copper) and FTTB (Fibre to the building, with the last 100 meters to each apartment being G.Fast over copper or pure ethernet).

So better not call it FTTH, eFibre is a nice generic marketing term for all their very high speed broadband products.

Well the next generation thing is now a dead over flogged horse , so it'll have to be quantum leap, USS enterprise, Dawn of birth bringer , or some from of super branding as they want more attention , a re branding wouldn't do them any harm. Shure whats peg at the local village shop going to care what its called , Tinternet in her eyes .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

they should have adsl2+ in the cabs would really help many people within 1-2km of the cab get half decent speeds who can't get fibre. In my case I would propably jump up to 15-18meg if adsl2+ was available from nearest cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Wholesale = http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/
    Retail = http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Retail is used by salespeople who you ring up to order eFibre from and we all trust them to be 100%, bang-on, totally and completely accurate - right? :rolleyes:

The wholesale should be actually be closer to the truth - don't know why though. :D

Eircom rep told me wholesale is closer to the truth. Retail is just a timeline when they think they'll get started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,641 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

versager wrote: »
    So after I rang the eircom sales department, I got the confirmation it's really available for me now. I was told the starting date rollout is 6th of May, my appointment with a technician is planned for the 11th of May. Signed a new 18 month contract straight away, it starts to be valid from the day of upgrade connection.

Today is the 6th, any news from eircom or Comreg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Domeld can confirm that looks like Gorey evdsl from exchange is going live on 27th may in Gorey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Seems to be work ongoing of late around Patrickswell Co.Limerick, Pole work is what i have noticed...i.e. guys up poles.

Due initially may 15, now saying summer 15.

Other than the rollout map is there another way to find out if it is actually going ahead ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

trompele wrote: »
    Domeld can confirm that looks like Gorey evdsl from exchange is going live on 27th may in Gorey.

True, so far max speed 70/20

Little birdie tells me 57 exchanges (of ~900) live for EVDSL to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thought upgrade was months off but it's crept up on me, not sure what if any improvement I'll see.

buddy in ringaskiddy of all places gets thsi result then effing so and so
    {"ccb":"E01","date":"27/05/2015","eee":"RIS","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":true,"ingb":true,"maxHSI":"15M_3M_R","maxNGB":"15M_768K_RH","maxNRA":"12M_1M_FR","maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","phone":"xxx-xxxxxx","ere":"27/05/2015","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Advertisement

57 exchanges, a few thousand possible customers and not a single bloody post of some router stats!

They're identical to any unvectored cabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

I will post as long it will be connected somewhere in Gorey :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

They're identical to any unvectored cabs.

Do you know if vectoring can be implemented on eVDSL and would it be of any benefit to people beyond the 1500m mark???

(Exchange is currently ADSL 8MB efibre due to go live this month)..

Barry5714 wrote: »
    Do you know if vectoring can be implemented on eVDSL and would it be of any benefit to people beyond the 1500m mark???

(Exchange is currently ADSL 8MB efibre due to go live this month)..

Its called SLV or system level vectoring and as far as we know its being worked on. Still max range 2000m, and adsl will be faster above 1600-1700m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

1900m from the exchange myself.. Just have to hope they make some use of the surplus ADSL2+ equipment they have lying around..

Thanks for the info ED...

• Advertisement

I think only small percentage of evdsl subscribers are active here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Its called SLV or system level vectoring and as far as we know its being worked on. Still max range 2000m, and adsl will be faster above 1600-1700m.

Eircom say 1700m max for eVDSL so you'd be better off on ADSL over 1400-1500m

Eircom say 1700m max for eVDSL so you'd be better off on ADSL over 1400-1500m

My point was 2000m post vectoring, the 1700 is the current limit.

Over 1400m I wouldn't take it, any quality issues and you're In trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

Its all Annex 17A, but modems (least not ISP ones) wont tell you what exact bands are live. I cant see them matching 17Mhz performance with 1/8th of the spectrum though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Hi
    Getting this info back in relation to my exchange - does this mean I will get 50/20 when it goes live or 34/16

{"ccb":"E01","date":"10/06/2015","eee":"CHT","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":true,"ingb":true,"maxHSI":"50M_20M_R","maxNGB":"20M_768K_RH","maxNRA":"34M_16M_FR","maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","phone":"xxx-xxxxxxx","ere":"10/06/2015","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

I am about 500M from the exchange

34_16 is if you chose TV. Expect 50_20 or 40_20 normally.

Tweaky wrote: »
    Hi
    Getting this info back in relation to my exchange - does this mean I will get 50/20 when it goes live or 34/16

{"ccb":"E01","date":"10/06/2015","eee":"CHT","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":true,"ingb":true,"maxHSI":"50M_20M_R","maxNGB":"20M_768K_RH","maxNRA":"34M_16M_FR","maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","phone":"xxx-xxxxxxx","ere":"10/06/2015","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Is this 10/06/2015 the GO LIVE date ??

Tweaky wrote: »
    Hi

How did you go about getting that data ? I am due to be upgraded this month.

• Advertisement

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Is this 10/06/2015 the GO LIVE date ??

I have no idea to be honest - I know the exchange has only gone to blue in the past couple of weeks and genuinely wasn't expecting any results when I tried the link. Would be great if it was going live that quickly

oleras wrote: »
    How did you go about getting that data ? I am due to be upgraded this month.

Go to the post below and it will explain how to get it
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95161507&postcount=450

This means there is nothing live yet i take it ?
    {"aaa":"1366499","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"6M_512K_RHL","maxNGBServiceCode":"NGNBMB8M","phone":"061-xxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Saying may 15 for me, currently on 15/768.

Not expectung much.

oleras wrote: »
    This means there is nothing live yet i take it ?

No tests on file yet, so likely they haven't got the racks up and running yet. You're further off than Tweaky.
    Varik wrote: »
    Saying may 15 for me, currently on 15/768.

Not expectung much.

Probably right to, assuming you're 1700-2000m away as that sync would suggest. If your current down attenuation is lower than ~22dB you might see a bump up to 20Mb_4Mb.

No tests on file yet, so likely they haven't got the racks up and running yet. You're further off than Tweaky.

Probably right to, assuming you're 1700-2000m away as that sync would suggest. If your current down attenuation is lower than ~22dB you might see a bump up to 20Mb_4Mb.

Think it's 19/20/21, haven't looked in a while and can't now but was on to eircom about line stats and prifile years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Saw a couple of eircom vans installing cables near the hotel in Carrigaline, Co. Cork today. Just had a look at the Where and When page and CGI1_E01 is blue! :) I'm about 400m from the exchange so I'm looking forward to a nice speed bump...

GOOD NEWS everyone DBIT has been unbanned from Eircom support forums ( Like i need them that much) dammit.

dbit wrote: »
    GOOD NEWS everyone DBIT has been unbanned from Eircom support forums ( Like i need them that much) dammit.

What is DBIT ??

• Advertisement

My name ?

Advertisement