Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transport Operators want peak-time Free Travel restricted

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

devnull wrote: »
    A group of pensioners were on the Aircoach from Greystones a few weeks back, on their way to the UAE from T2.

They spent the whole time from Blackrock at least moaning about how they wouldn't be able to afford any more taxes that came in because they were living on the breadline right now.

They were also talking about the free travel pass and how some people seem to begrudge them of it and how it is a lifeline to them.

But they managed to pay for their flights to the UAE ?

BTW I don't begrudge pensioners free travel, they are not the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

cdebru wrote: »
    I don't begrudge pensioners free travel, they are not the problem.

Do we know the breakdown of where the 1.25m FT passes were allocated? Perhaps pensioners make up the bulk of that and are the problem (for operators)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

There are plefty of pensioners taking train trips to pass the time, this is a problem at busy times. Solution like the UK is at peak times a small fare is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Some people in this country have a weird chip on their shoulder about other people getting any kind of public service if they themselves don't, they also seem to have a very exaggerated idea of the cost of such programmes as evidenced by the "unaffordable MASS handouts" comment above.
    There is nothing unaffordable or 'mass' about any handouts here Ireland has one of the most modest welfare states in the developed world, definitely most modest in Europe, were the only one besides the US not to have universal healthcare for example (though we are getting towards it in a clumsy and highly inefficient way)

IMO the problem with the card is simple: Good idea poorly executed
    Just restricting the times makes no sense, the argument of old people crowding the busses during peak time is ridiculous the reason that was stopped to begin with was to ensure people didn't have to panic if a bus was late cos they didn't have any money on them to get home, and thus end up stranded for hours because of an irrational rule. If CIE wants to really save money then we could start by cutting out about 1/3 of the fat that makes up it's various bodies.

I'm on rush hour transport every day and I don't see this supposed problem of greys blocking up the seats.

One simple reform would do a lot for it: Eliminate it for all but those on pensions or permanent disabilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Getting older people out and about is part of the reason for the free travel pass - it keeps people active mentally and physically, and they're not sitting at home doing nothing.

I would never knock that aspect of the scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    There are plefty of pensioners taking train trips to pass the time, this is a problem at busy times.

no, it isn't. i've only ever heard of a couple of incidents of this. like everything in ireland it gets blown out of proportion and over exaggerated.
    Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Solution like the UK is at peak times a small fare is required.

actually, it isn't. ensuring our rail network can be used to its capacity when needed, like it should be, is the solution.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Getting older people out and about is part of the reason for the free travel pass - it keeps people active mentally and physically, and they're not sitting at home doing nothing.

I would never knock that aspect of the scheme.

Where did I say lock them up?

My post stated apply a reduced fare at peak times nothing else!!

Anything to back up that sweeping statement?

That would result in no change to the status quo.

I challenge your sweeping statement, have you any evidence to counter my statement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement