Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endurance Racing News Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Yes just read it there. I think it will probably be a good thing if they can get the categories right. The grids all round have been thinner each year. But NASCAR running sportscars is the only thing I'm not too crazy about.
    I presume it means the death of ELMS?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

KenSwee wrote: »
    I presume it means the death of ELMS?

Why should it, this is only for the North American market. ELMS is being run by the ACO next year and WEC remains as is

Yea I hope so.
    I'm hoping ALMS will pan out his way.
    LMP1 & 2
    DP
    GT
    GT2

Yea I hope so.
    I'm hoping ALMS will pan out his way.
    LMP1 & 2
    DP
    GT
    GT2

No LMP1 for starters - given there are only 2 proper and 1 grandfathered LMP1 cars in this years ALMS

What looks more likely:

LMP(2)
    LMPC (until 2015)
    DP
    GT(E)
    GTC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Could have a massive impact on the WEC. If the ALMS is now merged with GrandAm it will mean that the new series will have the rights for Sebring and presumably the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta as well

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    Could have a massive impact on the WEC. If the ALMS is now merged with GrandAm it will mean that the new series will have the rights for Sebring and presumably the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta as well

WEC is scheduled to visit Circuit of the Americas next year so it wont impact on Sebring or Petit Le Mans

The 2013 WEC Calendar is scheduled to be released this weekend at WEC Sao Paulo

Although nothing in terms of venues and types of cars have been released yet. I saw that they are advertising new ovals with infield tracks on the Facebook page so my guess is that they are going to try and tie in Nascar meetings as much as possible. I can see the emphasis being moved away from big road courses.
    I suppose it's going to be the norm as long as Nascar is running it.
    There are some great road and street courses that are going to lose out over the next few years.

Although nothing in terms of venues and types of cars have been released yet. I saw that they are advertising new ovals with infield tracks on the Facebook page so my guess is that they are going to try and tie in Nascar meetings as much as possible. I can see the emphasis being moved away from big road courses.
    I suppose it's going to be the norm as long as Nascar is running it.
    There are some great road and street courses that are going to lose out over the next few years.

Fair point, but its another situation, where many years ago everyone worked together and got along (IMSA GTP from the early 80's to the early 90's), then Don Panoz introduced ALMS in the late 90's and the Frances brought in Grand-Am

Fair point, but its another situation, where many years ago everyone worked together and got along (IMSA GTP from the early 80's to the early 90's), then Don Panoz introduced ALMS in the late 90's and the Frances brought in Grand-Am

Christ I'm old enough to remember it very well. Big difference then was that they aligned themselves close to Group C which probably saved a fortune in development costs, especially with the 962 and Spice models. I think there will be a big cull with LMP1 which is a shame in my opinion. Sportscar racing should be all about top technology racing in different classes on an equalisation basis. If there is a decision to make the DP's the top class, then I think that will be a step back. The whole ethos of NASCAR is low technology, high entertainment. Back in the 80's IMSA seemed to have got both just right. Maybe the whole close down of ALMS in America will benefit the WEC in terms of exposure.

On the issue of WEC, I see that Motors TV and Eurosport are covering tomorrow's race live. And Sky will also have a delayed program on Thursday. Amazing pull to get so much TV coverage on so many networks at such a crucial and busy period of sports programming.

• Advertisement

Got to be better than the atrocious coverage by Motors TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

that Toyota is turning into a stunningly fast car

Awful shame about the Pugs leaving the series. It would have been brilliant to have see a three horse race.

If your good at multitasking or have 2 monitors ALMS Virginia is on now too http://www.alms.com/camera/television-broadcast

Bad luck for Damien Faulkner.
    Unbelievable end to the JBX Porsche. That's sportscar racing for you.

Awful shame about the Pugs leaving the series. It would have been brilliant to have see a three horse race.

Was never going to happen, Peugeot are losing money hand over fist, and in heavily unionised France, closing factories while spending tens of millions on a global sportscar racing programme is not a good way of doing things

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Was never going to happen, Peugeot are losing money hand over fist, and in heavily unionised France, closing factories while spending tens of millions on a global sportscar racing programme is not a good way of doing things

what happened to the win on Sunday sell on Monday idea? :pac:

kierank01 wrote: »
    what happened to the win on Sunday sell on Monday idea? :pac:

I'm not sure if that ever really applied in Sportscar racing. Definitely applied with rallying as you can easily see your potential car on the track there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

I would be inclined to think it does work. I became interested in Audi through Le Mans, and actively sought to get one because of it.
    The speed the Le Mans tech is appearing in road cars is unreal. Only last year, Audi's new thing was Ultra .ie. Lightweight materials. No sooner was it over than their road cars were advertising it.
    Same deal with DRLs.

I wouldn't be interested in Peugeot except for Le Mans. The amount of RCZs driving around after their launch at Le Mans was easily noticeable.

As was said by the head of the Audi engine department (methinks), the amount it would have cost Peugeot to attend was miniscule compared to what they'd already put into the 4 cars.
    The feeling being it was a new suit making a name for himself.

Take Peugeots new ONYX concept, uses the unused 908 hybrid engine....Le Mans would've been the perfect place to prove that tech to a crowd just waiting to make a decision on a car manufacturer to go with.

I see those amateur fools on Motors TV managed to screw up the coverage of the final Grand Am race by not having any commentator signal for the entire 3 hours.

I really wish that station would f**k off and die.

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, this year's Le Mans winning Audi R18 E-Tron quattro will be on display at Audi North Dublin's new terminal on Oct 13th.

For anyone interested, this year's Le Mans winning Audi R18 E-Tron quattro will be on display at Audi North Dublin's new terminal on Oct 13th.

argh why cant i drive why!!!!!!!

EDIT: well i can drive just not very well :P

Grim. wrote: »
    EDIT: well i can drive just not very well :P

No free samples so:-P

No free samples so:-P

Quiet you! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

Went up for a look earlier on. Amazing looking machine.

Audi 1.jpg

Audi 2.jpg

Audi 3.jpg

Audi 4.jpg

Audi 5.jpg

Delta Wing gets a right good whollop at Road Atlanta

http://youtu.be/uW7qaG9K2_c

Delta Wing gets a right good whollop at Road Atlanta

http://youtu.be/uW7qaG9K2_c

What was the Porsche doing!?!
    Perhaps it was going for the pits but didn't see the Delta Wing.
    Poor awareness....or worse.

Ya, I think at first it looks pretty bad, but it does appear to be a mixture of getting loose out of the bend and possibly going to box.
    Also I'm sure the small size of the Delta didn't help, but you see it all the time where a GT class car doesn't realise a prototype is coming through. In that sense I do think the Porsche has some blame cause they all know theres faster cars gonna be coming through regularly.

Edit: Should mention that given the same Porsche knocked out the Muscle Milk car, he should have been even more aware of faster cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

It's always feckin' electronics!

Murphy Prototypes currently off-track after stopping on-track and being towed away.

• Advertisement

Advertisement