Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

dub_skav wrote: »
    I reckon he can be a great success so long as we give him time to settle and give him a fair chance (see Kirchner and Isa for examples of writing guys off too early).

The obvious issue is, that if he is a great success, we could easily lose him to a foreign team if he looks to play international rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It will be months before we really get a good enough look at him playing to form proper opinions, this is all a little premature tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

The obvious issue is, that if he is a great success, we could easily lose him to a foreign team if he looks to play international rugby
    But by then the great post world cup sweepstakes will be in full flow, so he'll have done his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

stephen_n wrote: »
    It will be months before we really get a good enough look at him playing to form proper opinions, this is all a little premature tbh.

He'll be playing at 13 against Quins I'd say. At least, I hope he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I just mean that one or two games is not enough to make a proper judgement, no matter what, we can't expect him to be that good that he'll be up to speed straight out of the blocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't think that's anywhere near certain though, MOC likes Reid and they won't want to sacrifice Madigan's goalkicking too easily, and obviously Darce will play if fit. If Te'o isn't particularly impressing by December (which is pretty likely) I'd be very surprised if he started in the H cup

Tox56 wrote: »
    I don't think that's anywhere near certain though, MOC likes Reid and they won't want to sacrifice Madigan's goalkicking too easily, and obviously Darce will play if fit. If Te'o isn't particularly impressing by December (which is pretty likely) I'd be very surprised if he started in the H cup

Not certain but I'd say it's the plan. The attack is totally blunted by the Gopperth-Madigan-D'Arcy midfield and we need a proper 13. Gopperth is good enough a goal kicker for Madigan not to be indispensable. There are three games before we go to Quins; we'll have a decent idea of where he's at by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'd like to see Madigan Darcy Te'o but can't see Madigan getting much of a shot at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Macken couldn't buy his way into the squad at the moment. So we can probably assume that both his (and MOCs) plans involve him being somewhere else next year. D'Arcy is also retiring, so like it or not Teo will have to be played a lot as 13 this year as he seems to be the only avenue that leinster are investing in as a future 13. We are highly unlikely to be allowed sign another foreign back next season, so unless there is some completely hidden gem in the academy, Teo is going to need a lot more than a few B&I starts over the next few months.

But no pressure :\

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Madigan Darcy Te'o but can't see Madigan getting much of a shot at 10.

I think he'll got a shot at it, taking his chance is another matter though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

LostArt wrote: »

Taking his chance has been his problem - he just has not done that when the chance comes his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

LostArt wrote: »

I would have Madigan over Gopperth all day long at 10. Problem is Madigan is needed elsewhere at the moment.

Macken couldn't buy his way into the squad at the moment. So we can probably assume that both his (and MOCs) plans involve him being somewhere else next year. D'Arcy is also retiring, so like it or not Teo will have to be played a lot as 13 this year as he seems to be the only avenue that leinster are investing in as a future 13. We are highly unlikely to be allowed sign another foreign back next season, so unless there is some completely hidden gem in the academy, Teo is going to need a lot more than a few B&I starts over the next few months.

But no pressure :\

There is a gem. His name is Garry Ringrose.

Quint2010 wrote: »

Is he really that good? He was very good in the JWC in fairness but that kind of came out of nowhere and he was pretty average when he played in the 6 nations. He's got talent but he didn't seem stand out

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Being nominated for that award means bugger all. Some have been and gone on to massive things. Some have and are fringe players at clubs.

Ringrose looks good but I'd be far from convinced he will even end up a first choice Leinster player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Is he really that good? He was very good in the JWC in fairness but that kind of came out of nowhere and he was pretty average when he played in the 6 nations. He's got talent but he didn't seem stand out

He's not good enough to be playing senior rugby this year no. Unlikely that he'll see much next year either I think. The highest in the pecking order would be O'Loughlin. But I wouldn't expect to see him this season. Next season is when I think they'll be looking to expose Farrell/ROL and Ringrose to a bit of senior rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Does BBC Alba have English commentary now?

Buer wrote: »
    Being nominated for that award means bugger all. Some have been and gone on to massive things. Some have and are fringe players at clubs.

Ringrose looks good but I'd be far from convinced he will even end up a first choice Leinster player.

Well considering he is eligible again this year we will see. But to be nominated for POTY as an U19 is about as good as it gets for an Irish player.

Isn't this exactly what we were saying about Macken when he was 19?

• Advertisement

In fairness we remember the flops more than the successes sometimes. People were saying the same things about Healy, Fitz, SOB, Kearney, D'Arcy, BOD, Cullen, Ruddock at the same age too

My point is not so much about Ringrose but about the 'hyping' of young players in general

Possibly I cant remember. Macken was slightly different though in that physically he was a big unit around that time. Ringrose has more guile and whats more can kick too. I reckon he is a gem of a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Wouldn't be over hyping him. He's good but only really been seen playing against people his own age
    Possibly I cant remember. Macken was slightly different though in that physically he was a big unit around that time. Ringrose has more guile and whats more can kick too. I reckon he is a gem of a player.
    How much rugby against players not the same age as him has he played. He's looked good playing against other 18/19 year olds but would hold judgement until he's played regularly and consistently against some older players be that AIL 1A, Provincial A level etc

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eat My Point

Ben Te'o possible broken arm!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

All I want from T'eo this evening is to not stand up with the ball after being tackled.

Apparently the correct answer should of been to not injure himself :(. Gutted for him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Today's result makes me confident we are once again going to have our best period of the season during the international windows. I feel our wider squad has really benefited from B&I Cup success.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ben Te'o possible broken arm!:(

It was a weird looking incident, there didn't seem to be any impact to break it.

Looked like it was the wrist too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I can't recall the last time Leinster knocked on so much. Very disappointing as when Leinster put some phases together they actually looked a decent side. Poor performance overall imo.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,083 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Considering the team we put out and how stretched the bench was, its an excellent result.

Luckly Edinburgh seconds are no where near ours, which shows we are rotating well and giving experience where needed.

D ryan, Conan, Denton, strauss and bent all had good games in the forwards. Both Luke's played well. Zane is a class above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Both Luke's played well. .

I can't agree with that at all. I don't want to break into broken record territory but McGrath was rightly taken off early enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement