Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zcott wrote: »
    There's a good interview with Jacques Villeneuve in this month's F1 Racing in which he really regrets saying that they'd win their first race. The car wasn't too bad, just chronically unreliable.

F1 Racing. I didn't read that publication in ages :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    F1 Racing. I didn't read that publication in ages :eek:

Some good interviews in it; I subscribe on my iPad and get all the issues delivered automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Scotty # wrote: »
    The first time I ever heard Toto Wolff's name being mentioned was in connection to him taking over from Bernie some day. Very powerful man in Motorsport, has his finger in a lot of pie's. I don't think Horner is alpha enough for the job. Someone like Ron Dennis would be better but he's a bit of a loon. Ross Brawn maybe?
    Reading the WiKi on Toto, Jesus, there aren't enough hours in the day for him :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toto_Wolff
    Seems to be a strong successor to Bernie alright. Impressive alright.
    Ross Brawn is an interesting one. Would he be politically savy enough I wonder?
    He definately has the minerals for the job, but, does he want it?
    Does Bernie want him either? A lot will hinge on Bernie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If Brawn did it would be interesting because then you would have Jean Todt and Ross Brawn working together again. Doesn't feel that long ago since they headed up Ferrari together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Great interview on Sky F1 before FP3 with Ted Kravitz and Bernie. Grid could drop to 14 cars and or may start with 18 next season. Looks like Sauber Force India and Lotus hanging on by a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

bbability wrote: »
    Great interview on Sky F1 before FP3 with Ted Kravitz and Bernie. Grid could drop to 14 cars and or may start with 18 next season. Looks like Sauber Force India and Lotus hanging on by a thread.

Was indeed a very good interview. I totally agree with both Bernie and the US promoter, I don't think too many people will care if there are 18 cars on the grid next year but the lack of noise is still a major issue.

Yes, there has been some great racing this year but when you attend a grand prix, you want to feel the power, feel it almost pound against your chest. These engines do not and it's no surprise that an American promoter looks genuinely pissed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

HighLine wrote: »
    Was indeed a very good interview. I totally agree with both Bernie and the US promoter, I don't think too many people will care if there are 18 cars on the grid next year but the lack of noise is still a major issue.

Yes, there has been some great racing this year but when you attend a grand prix, you want to feel the power, feel it almost pound against your chest. These engines do not and it's no surprise that an American promoter looks genuinely pissed about it.

Bernie likes to have the promoters show how unhappy they are. It's all part of his game. I wouldn't read to much into the promoters comments. They is no doubt that Bernie wants to bring abit of noise back into it and that is no bad thing so whatever way he wishes to go about it is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd far rather more cars than more noise tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

bbability wrote: »

It looks like there is some substance to the rumours that Lotus, Sauber and Force India would boycott tomorrow's race, Lotus appear to be back on side.

Perhaps thats where Bernies talk of 14 cars came from ? With the promoter saying that numbers dont matter , imho the noise of the engines is a complete red herring being put out there by Bernie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Infoanon wrote: »
    It looks like there is some substance to the rumours that Lotus, Sauber and Force India would boycott tomorrow's race, Lotus appear to be back on side.

Perhaps thats where Bernies talk of 14 cars came from ? With the promoter saying that numbers dont matter , imho the noise of the engines is a complete red herring being put out there by Bernie.

I really really hope the boycott doesn't happen. The last race to be boycotted was in 2005...at the USGP. It took a while for America to come around to F1 after that race, and I don't want a repeat of that. Had it been somewhere like India or Korea that would be fine, but not Austin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I didn't see the interview, what's the story with these rumours about a boycott?

The promoter, Bobby Epstein, when speaking to the BBC earlier (before Sky),called onF1 to find a way to get more cars in the grid ! And suggested 3 car teams.

All talk of a Las Vegas race has disappeared at the same time !

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I'll not see any boycott as I'm not watching the race. BBC have the highlights on far too late tomorrow night and, from reading elsewhere, the TV director in Austin is an incompetent clown so I'd be lucky to see anything of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,049 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Did watch the team principle type press conference yesterday, talking about losing the two teams mostly. Some good arguments for cutting costs or making it more sustainable for smaller teams. But they need to find away to make it balance out so that teams like ferrari and mclaren don't have their business damaged and manufactures want to stay in the sport. Think F1 does need the independent teams that will stick around in the sport. Governing body really do need to make it possible for smaller and midfield teams to at least survive and try and compete, otherwise could just keep getting worse, and shouldn't have to be at the expense of the big teams

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Lopez' comment about spending 300m just to be six seconds faster than a GP2 car said it all. It's grand for Toto Wolff to claim that he's spending within his own budget but all he has to do is pop along to Stuttgart and ask for some more money off Mercedes head office. The likes of Lotus and Force India will have no such luck getting more money out of their decreasing amount of sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,049 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Lopez' comment about spending 300m just to be six seconds faster than a GP2 car said it all. It's grand for Toto Wolff to claim that he's spending within his own budget but all he has to do is pop along to Stuttgart and ask for some more money off Mercedes head office. The likes of Lotus and Force India will have no such luck getting more money out of their decreasing amount of sponsors.

yes, I think since marrusia and catterham had survived through last season their businesses must have been somewhat sustainable, I doubt their work force number changed since last year. New rule changes shouldn't have been allowed to destroy that and that people in charge or big players make the decisions without looking at the effects on the sport or protecting the competitors somewhat is a big failing.

I'd far rather more cars than more noise tbh.

It totally baffles me how people would think it's more important to have a few more mobile chicanes rather than restore F1's noise. To each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It totally baffles me how people would think it's more important to have a few more mobile chicanes rather than restore F1's noise. To each their own.

Noise has nothing to do with racing, sure it's a nice feeling but a basic knowledge of physics would say that noise = inefficiency. IA 100% efficient engine would have to be silent. More noise is good for the spectacle but bad for the racing.

Personally I'll miss the two teams, they didn't get much coverage but there have been many great battles at the back of the field over the last few years.

GarIT wrote: »
    More noise is good for the spectacle but bad for the racing.

Are you serious? Bad for racing? Come on now. Maybe you should watch Formula E then if you have such a great concern for engine and fuel efficiency.

Are you serious? Bad for racing? Come on now. Maybe you should watch Formula E then if you have such a great concern for engine and fuel efficiency.

The faster the cars go the better, I don't care about noise if the cars are going faster. It's not about reducing the amount of fuel used but increasing the amount of power delivered from the fuel, noise is lost energy, less noise = more energy. You won't find an engineer that would agree more noise is better, as noise is lost power that could have gone to the wheels.

If you want to make the cars more noisy you will have to implement a device which will waste power that was previously going to the wheels.

I do watch Formula E, or at least have watched the last race and intend to watch the next one.

• Advertisement

The faster the cars go the better, I don't care about noise if the cars are going faster. It's not about reducing the amount of fuel used but increasing the amount of power delivered from the fuel, noise is lost energy, less noise = more energy. You won't find an engineer that would agree more noise is better, as noise is lost power that could have gone to the wheels.

If you want to make the cars more noisy you will have to implement a device which will waste power that was previously going to the wheels.

I do watch Formula E, or at least have watched the last race and intend to watch the next one.

Have you ever experienced an f1 car in person.
    The noise was astounding with the old engines. Pure violence is the only way I could describe it. That can only lead to it being a major part of the f1 experience.

mickdw wrote: »
    The noise was astounding with the old engines. Pure violence is the only way I could describe it. That can only lead to it being a major part of the f1 experience.

Yes I have. I did say the loss of noise is a loss of the spectacle. As engines technology is improved they will get quieter, just think of diesel engines over the last 20 years. Personally I'd take being the pinnacle of engineering and faster cars over noisy cars.

Yes I have. I did say the loss of noise is a loss of the spectacle. As engines technology is improved they will get quieter, just think of diesel engines over the last 20 years. Personally I'd take being the pinnacle of engineering and faster cars over noisy cars.
    I wouldnt to be honest.
    I wouldn't mind quiet cars if the team's went there by choice. For example, if the rules were more open and simply allowed each driver 100 kg of fuel and allowed the team to use it as they saw fit it would be quiet interesting. You would have some going the current route, some going lower tune versions of the old tech to grab an odd point by way of reliability. Some might have a turbo, some might not. The noise variation would be an interesting part of the whole thing then. As it stands, it's a high tech, efficient but dull engine formula.

I wouldnt to be honest.
    I wouldn't mind quiet cars if the team's went there by choice. For example, if the rules were more open and simply allowed each driver 100 kg of fuel and allowed the team to use it as they saw fit it would be quiet interesting. You would have some going the current route, some going lower tune versions of the old tech to grab an odd point by way of reliability. Some might have a turbo, some might not. The noise variation would be an interesting part of the whole thing then. As it stands, it's a high tech, efficient but dull engine formula.

Any of the teams could make their engine very noisy very easily but they would loose power. I do agree with less rules. Given a choice of a turbo or not every team would take it, even with open rules every team would go for the fastest solution. A lot of the constructors are only interested because it is high tech. I disagree about it being dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Marcus Ericsson will race for Sauber in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thats Sauber safe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Gintonious wrote: »
    Thats Sauber safe so.

How much does Ericsson bring with him?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

A lot of people attending race meetings wear ear plugs to block out the engine noise and in my experience the engine noise was rather ruined by the rev limiter kicking in.

F1 is basically a television sport and thus the noise is irrelevant - IF the noise was of any relevance then the audio mix could be adjusted by the broadcasters.

A lot of people attending race meetings wear ear plugs to block out the engine noise and in my experience the engine noise was rather ruined by the rev limiter kicking in.

F1 is basically a television sport and thus the noise is irrelevant - IF the noise was of any relevance then the audio mix could be adjusted by the broadcasters.

The broadcast audio was well discussed here at the start of the year. I couldn't believe that the world feed had not significantly adjusted the circuit mics for the sound change. After all you would getting better engine sounds on a basic broadcast from mondeo.
    Some sounds engineers commented that it was not that simple and that given the pitch of these specific engines, you would get issues of drowning out voices etc . I didn't quite agree myself but this was later confirmed by sky saying that they had issues with increasing the sound volume.

• Advertisement

The broadcast audio was well discussed here at the start of the year. I couldn't believe that the world feed had not significantly adjusted the circuit mics for the sound change. After all you would getting better engine sounds on a basic broadcast from mondeo.
    Some sounds engineers commented that it was not that simple and that given the pitch of these specific engines, you would get issues of drowning out voices etc . I didn't quite agree myself but this was later confirmed by sky saying that they had issues with increasing the sound volume.

Sounds, accuse the pun, questionable - Sky sticking to the Bernie line.

Advertisement