Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 courses in Cork

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Any of the Cork gang on here attempt to name what they believe are the top 10 courses in Cork at present?

Would be interesting to see what the opinions are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have not played Golf in Cork for about 6 years now bar my own course and Mallow.

Cant give you ten but Old Head Kinsale and Fota are great courses. Near me always found Mitchelstown and Charlveille good courses. But like say im only going from 6 years back so there better people out there to give better examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

in no particular order

fota
    cork (the island)
    Monkstown
    douglas
    old head
    lee valley
    bantry
    castlemartyr
    old head
    muskerry

• Registered Users Posts: 29 seanom78

Would agree with Ozyozys 10 courses.

Fota , Cork and the Old Head are by far the top 3. Cork is my favourite. It is an absolutely brilliant track, but tough, esp from the tee.

Douglas, Monkstown, Muskerry, Charleville, Mallow, Bandon are all quite good too.

I wouldnt rate Lee Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

What about that parkland Kinsale track. Played it years ago in Munster Youths but haven't been since. Is it not pretty decent?

FarranGalway is the parkland in Kinsale - its is grand but a bit wide open. I was surprised it got the Munster Youths that yr I must say.

I would say its ok but defo not in the top 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

seanom78 wrote: »
    Cork is my favourite. It is an absolutely brilliant track, but tough, esp from the tee.

Not heard too much about Cork, more about Fota and Old Head, but I must admit from the pictures on their website the course looks stunning. See the tee shot on that index 1! Yeah looks to be numerous difficult tee shots.

yea Old Head and Fota get much more media attention. Old Head is unique, i caddied there, the course itself is good but the scenery is amazing in fariness.

Fota is more of an american style course: big greens, big fairways, lots of water.
    its a quality track too in fariness, even if the pros did tear it to shreds.

I played with UCC and Cork GC was our home course. It has about 6 holes along the estuary which are links like and then some heath like holes in the middle. Hole 4 and 5 are superb! Then the opening and closing holes are parkland. Amazing variety of holes in the place,no 2 holes are alike. Its a beast off the blues, certainly a ball stikers course.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭jimmystars

Dont think i have even played half thecourses in Cork but will give it a go
    1. Old Head
    2. Fota
    3. Lee Valley
    4. Castlemaytr
    5. Muskerry
    6. Mallow
    7. Mitchelstown
    8. Cork
    9. Bandon
    10. Blarney

Also played Douglas, Waterrock, Mahon

If you want a good guide to courses op then Kevin Markhams book "hooked" is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

from the front view off the ladies tee box !!
    1. Cork - my home club
    2. O.H
    3. Fota
    4. Castlemartyr
    5. Douglas
    6. Bandon
    7. Monkstowm
    8. Kinsale
    9. Mahon
    10. Water rock

holding my powder dry re Cobh, plenty of potential , deadly greens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 galvin66

Old Head
    Cork Golf Club
    Fota Golf Club
    Lee Valley
    Monkstwon
    Bandon
    Muskerry
    Blarney
    Castlematyr
    Douglas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

jimmystars wrote: »

If you want a good guide to courses op then Kevin Markhams book "hooked" is the way to go.

Thanks Jimmy.

As most people have said, top four are
    Old Head
    Fota
    Cork
    Castlemartyr

After that you'd have to choose six from
    Bantry Bay
    Macroom
    Charleville
    Monkstown
    Mahon
    Muskerry
    Blarney

Lee Valley, Water Rock, Mitchelstown and Mallow should also be mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Ya, the top 3 or 4 jump out at you really...

Old Head
    Cork GC
    Fota
    Castlemartyr

After that it's down to opinions I suppose. For me, in no particular order...

Monkstown
    Bandon
    Muskerry
    Blarney
    Bantry
    Lee Valley.

I live near mallow but don't rate it at all. Some people really like it but it's not for me..........opinions I suppose!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Whats the big hoo haa about castlemartyr?? I think its truly awful, a great site but very poorly designed imho.....

Bump...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Daithio9

gorfield wrote: »
    Whats the big hoo haa about castlemartyr?? I think its truly awful, a great site but very poorly designed imho.....
    It's a thread about what's best in Cork, so it can't be that big of a surprise to you that it features so prominently.
    I played Castlemartyr and if someone who was thinking of playing there asked me what I thought of it I'd say "it's worth a visit", but I'd be very surprised to hear if they fell in love with it, I agree with you that the layout/design is poor (especially the lack of depth to the greens), but relatively speaking it's much better than county average.
    I mean alot of posters have included Charleville in their top 10 and to say it's truly awful is an understatement yet it represents how poor the choice is for Cork golfers other than the top 3/4 courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thanks Jimmy.

As most people have said, top four are
    Old Head
    Fota
    Cork
    Castlemartyr

After that you'd have to choose six from
    Bantry Bay
    Macroom
    Charleville
    Monkstown
    Mahon
    Muskerry
    Blarney

Lee Valley, Water Rock, Mitchelstown and Mallow should also be mentioned.
    Mahon is a glorified pitch and putt club .Its ridiculously short .
    I wouldnt rate Monkstown either ,Water Rock had a good back nine but the front nine is poor.

Top courses
    Cork Golf Club
    Fota
    Old Head
    Muskerry
    Mallow

If you break par on any of the above courses its a fair achievement and any one playing off a low handicap at those clubs earned it the hard way.

Zardoz wrote: »
    I wouldnt rate Monkstown either ,Water Rock had a good back nine but the front nine is poor.

Top courses
    Cork Golf Club
    Fota
    Old Head
    Muskerry
    Mallow

If you break par on any of the above courses its a fair achievement and any one playing off a low handicap at those clubs earned it the hard way.

Glad to see you can count Zardoz. Let's see your other five since you have such strong opinions about Mahon and Monkstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭jimmystars

gorfield wrote: »

I know a few of my buddies who dont like it either, but i just find it enjoyable. Find it a bit of a break from most of the parkland courses around and has a few really interesting holes. Always in good nick too.
    The 9th is a funny hole as you can drive and have a flop shot over the drain. The 11th is a good hole as well inmo, really good 3 shot par 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I like Castlemartyr because its different to most other courses in the county but also because its always playable(barring frost:mad:).But the drainage is unreal there.Last couple of times I played there most courses locally were closed due to all the rain but Castlemartyr was dry as a bone. Strongest things about the course imo are the par threes,the quality of the greens and playability in the rainy season (All year round:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

Zardoz wrote: »

Top courses
    Cork Golf Club
    Fota
    Old Head
    Muskerry
    Mallow

Monkstown has the best and fastest greens in Cork...Tight course not terribly long but punishes poor shots...80 odd bunkers on the course undulated greens and water...think you are being pretty harsh to a seriously well maintained and established course...also new clubhouse is by far the best around..it is a course you can walk off and wonder how you didn't score better. You have to think your way around it . It is a far better course overall than muskerry or mallow. would agree with your other assessments

• Advertisement

I dont think I would rate Monkstown greens that highly. However that is your opinion... we ll have to agree to differ. I find Cork and Lee Valley greens to be much quicker than Monkstown. I do like it as a course though and agree ,fab job with the new clubhouse .. AND .. they now allow denims in there !!!!! what a break through :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Played Mallow last August its near me and have to say its decent course now and I think can be in top 10. Its greens were not great there about 8 years ago(very poor at times) when I played there but my mate who member there told me there improved greatly and when I played it they were played it the greens were decent.

I always like courses with water (although the drink seems cost me more often then not) in play hence why picked out Mitchelstown even if its just few holes.

In all think Cork courses are decent but no better then most counties.

its hard to beat Kerry for Golf they have great parkland and links courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Agreed on castlemartyr,its an ok short track imo,would agree with the "its worth a visit",wouldn't be too far away from your own line of thinking galvin,where arwe your own 10 gorfield ???

Someone is having a laugh with lee valley not being above the likes of bantry,blarney,douglas,mallow,macroom,charleville and quite a few more

for me (havent played old head yet:()
    1 fota(old 18) dont fancy new 9
    2 cork g.c.
    3 lee valley
    4 muskerry
    5 monkstown
    6 castlemartyr
    7 blarney (providing its actually being maintained at the time)
    8 bandon
    9 mallow
    10 macroom

6-10 could be in any order really for me,

.......awaits backlash:o

kevin just re-read your post ....mahon.........you are really having a laugh

1. cork
    2.Old head
    3.fota
    4.Cobh(new)
    5.Monkstown
    6.Mallow
    7.lee valley
    8.Muskerry
    9.douglas
    10.Kinsale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭irishjim111

muskerry god i used caddy for lads there the hills are mad lol but great course mahon is a good injoyable course and not to costly. theres one near midelton good golf course the new blarney one the back nine are good the front are hard enough lot of golf balls gone missing lol.

soundsham wrote: »

kevin just re-read your post ....mahon.........you are really having a laugh

Nope. I'd play Mahon ahead of Lee Valley, Mallow, Douglas...
    It was in great condition when I played it and while I won't deny that Lee Valley etc. are 'better' golf courses, Mahon is a lot more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

doubt many regular golfers in cork would,
    howsever,interesting to see peoples own decisions.

would you think its fair to say that if you score well in a course it usually goes up your top 10 list ??????;)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Not necessarily for me... I rate the European Club highly and it chewed me up the few times I've played it.

• Advertisement

true of that course now that you mention it ! i have played the european only once , shocking score, i think 28 pts, but loved it and got a nice voucher to go back and play it as a present. i will save it for a few months .. or at least til i remember how to swing again.

Advertisement