Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

vicwatson wrote: »
    How is the new configuration around Jack Whites going? Has it slowed traffic down a lot? I assume it's this configuration that I heard on the news today (only caught the end of it) ??

I can't say how it is today, but I saw it on Sunday with only the northbound traffic diverted. My take from the news story is that both directions have moved over. Here's what that looks like:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/52.8825/-6.1001&layers=N

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

vicwatson wrote: »
    How is the new configuration around Jack Whites going? Has it slowed traffic down a lot? I assume it's this configuration that I heard on the news today (only caught the end of it) ??

Doesn't seem to be having to much of an affect... I go through about 07:20 and come back at around 18:50 and it hasn't made a discernible difference. The works south of Jack Whites near the Rugby club cause a bit of a delay but I only get to my destination around 10 mins later than before the works started so nothing major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Niles wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be having to much of an affect... I go through about 07:20 and come back at around 18:50 and it hasn't made a discernible difference.

Huh, I previously ran the gauntlet to the city centre in an hour and ten minutes leaving at 7am, this morning as an example it took an hour and fifty, majority of the delay was on the construction section.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

It's adding a minimum of 15 minutes each way to my commute. I see some cheeky swine exiting at J20 then going down the side road and back on (like the Wex bus does normally) to avoid the first few minutes. I've taken to going via Rathdrum or Red Cross depending on the day. This cuts the delay down a bit.

The wet weather can't be helping them much, but hopefully with the dryness up to now they're still ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

from the pictures it looks like it'll still take a good bit of work to tie it all together. Some bits almost look ready for traffic and more bits look like they are just starting. The bits that are still at early earthworks will probably get caught up in the bad weather now until the New Year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

can someone post a link to the plans again please for all the new interchanges and junctions, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not sure if this is the latest plan, I can't find a date on it.

http://www.wicklow.ie/sites/default/files/Arklow%20to%20Rathnew%20Scheme%20Plan.pdf

I was driving down on friday evening at 6. I'd guess I was delayed by about 20 minutes. There seemed to be plenty of cars going cross country on the minor roads around there, but I wanted to see the progress in daylight so I stayed on the mainline.
    1. All the earthworks north of Jack Whites seem to be complete and all of this section of the route seems to have a hard fill top layer. Does this mean that this section will be less impacted by poor weather from now on?
    2. South of Jack Whites it seemed that they were still doing earth moving on 40-50% of the route. How much longer will it take before they are finished this? If the weather deteriorates, will they have to halt work on this until next Spring or just go slower?
    3. Does anyone know when they expect to start tarmacing? (Not in the Richard Keys sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Driving between Wicklow and Redcross on Sunday and I wouldn't say the earth works at the bends is remotely complete... Also not at the Beehive either around the road opposite.

BigMoose wrote: »
    Driving between Wicklow and Redcross on Sunday and I wouldn't say the earth works at the bends is remotely complete... Also not at the Beehive either around the road opposite.

Yeah passed on Saturday and they are still breaking rock (in a cutaway section) at the Bends area. A good few other spots also along the route where they are still in muddy earthworks stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Driving Southbound along this strip at about 8:00pm last night and came to a complete standstill for around 30 minutes near Jack Whites. When we did start moving there was no sign of a crash there, it was down to one lane so either they just closed that lane and gave 2 fingers to the people sitting in the cars or they were totally incompetent at traffic management.
    I would love to know how far that tailback went before the traffic started moving, it wasn't peaktime but was busy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Driving Southbound along this strip at about 8:00pm last night and came to a complete standstill for around 30 minutes near Jack Whites. When we did start moving there was no sign of a crash there, it was down to one lane so either they just closed that lane and gave 2 fingers to the people sitting in the cars or they were totally incompetent at traffic management.
    I would love to know how far that tailback went before the traffic started moving, it wasn't peaktime but was busy enough.

They have to occasionally close the road completely in both directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

They have to occasionally close the road completely in both directions.

My sister travelled that road several times on Thursday but saw no signs warning of any works/closures taking place. (In fairness they normally signal these well in advance) She sat at Jack Whites for 25 minutes from 8,30 to 8.55 and eventually had to go home as she had missed her appointment. The real annoyance was that she could have turned around and taken an alternative route but who would expect a stop/go of nearly 30 minutes? During the whole time she waited there was a continuous southbound stream of traffic so God knows how far that tailback was.
    A whole case of bad communication and lack of information - a pity as most locals seem to think the new roads, links etc are being handled pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭prunudo

I had to do a job done in Brittas Bay last week. No mention anywhere that the road from Jack Whites was closed. Then they send you on a narrow diversion route which is barely 4m, not exactly truck friendly! Just as well I didn't meet another truck. I went the coast road on the way back.
    On the plus side the project is progressing well and it will be great when it's finished

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

When is it due to be finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Its "DUE";) to be finished in august 2015 whether it is or not will be another question

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

vickers209 wrote: »
    Its "DUE";) to be finished in august 2015 whether it is or not will be another question

Most road schemes over the last few years have come in on time. I guess there may be more resources available with the imminent completion of most of the heavy construction at Newlands X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

There's some works going on around Inch on the M11, it appears to be this Ballyellen service station being built?

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/goreyguardian/localnotes/goahead-for-delayed-service-area-on-n11-29247310.html

If so, can anyone point to plans for the service station and access roads, I'd like to see if i'll have better access to the M11 rather than having to drive firstly to Arklow!

Thanks

Edit:

Nevermind, found this thread! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055409958&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Given that the newland's cross project seems to be finishing so far ahead of schedule, I wonder will some of the machinery and equipment be moved to the Arklow-Rathnew scheme to speed this project up too...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Given that the newland's cross project seems to be finishing so far ahead of schedule, I wonder will some of the machinery and equipment be moved to the Arklow-Rathnew scheme to speed this project up too...

Id say the rain will stop work on this route

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Is imagine that was the plan from beginning.

• Advertisement

Is imagine that was the plan from beginning.

As someone has already posted over in the Newlands Cross thread, there's very little heavy plant left at Newlands.

Only a few rubber diggers and a couple of small dumpers and they will be needed there for the next few months tidying up the side roads. The heavy diggers are long gone.

busyatwork wrote: »
    Id say the rain will stop work on this route

It might slow the progress a bit but I'd be surprised if it actually stopped work.
    Passed by the other day, didn't realise the new route would be so much lower than the old road, particularly between the Beehive and The Tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

If anyone has been down there recently, is there still a large amount of heavy earthworks left to do all along the route?

If anyone has been down there recently, is there still a large amount of heavy earthworks left to do all along the route?

Going by what is saw the other day I'd say most of it is largely complete. The tie in at the Northen end will still need a good bit of work. The section between Jack Whites an Arklow is still the section that looks like it needs the most work although that appears to be more shaping and drainage rather than full on excavation.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Folks,

These aren't going to win any photography awards, but I thought people might be interested in an update on this scheme.

1. Overbridge near The Beehive at the northern end of the scheme.
    15802854691_4b43d209fa_c.jpgIMG_9850 by csd75, on Flickr

2. Heading south just by The Beehive, before the bends.
    15619325188_43edbe38a4_c.jpgIMG_9859 by csd75, on Flickr

3. Approaching Jack Whites. This section appears to be the most complete.
    15804736665_61cd4d2612_c.jpgIMG_9865 by csd75, on Flickr

15184779314_c01a8e3d18_c.jpgIMG_9871 by csd75, on Flickr

4. Roundabout at Jack White's interchange.
    15619883810_6680b97ea6_c.jpgIMG_9874 by csd75, on Flickr

5. Between Jack White's and Scrathenagh.
    15802855301_5863e50588_c.jpgIMG_9880 by csd75, on Flickr

6. New overbridge under construction at Scratenagh.
    15806313142_f4e5dde51b_c.jpgIMG_9885 by csd75, on Flickr

15802855601_7cf712ab3f_c.jpgIMG_9889 by csd75, on Flickr

7. Between Scratenagh and the tie-in with the existing dual carriageway.
    15619550277_8104e6dc30_c.jpgIMG_9898 by csd75, on Flickr

8. Reverse view of the same spot.
    15619550477_a4a0f659a2_c.jpgIMG_9919 by csd75, on Flickr

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Excellent pics CSD. Do you reckon this bypass, ore maybe even sections of it may open ahead of schedule ?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I think there is a lot of work to be done from Jack Whites to the Arklow tie in and it also looks like there is a bit to be done from around the Stat Oil station to where the pictures show the hardcore at the point where the current 'new' piece of road crosses back over (the piece before picture 3 & Jack Whites). Lot's to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

PoolDude wrote: »
    I think there is a lot of work to be done from Jack Whites to the Arklow tie in and it also looks like there is a bit to be done from around the Stat Oil station to where the pictures show the hardcore at the point where the current 'new' piece of road crosses back over (the piece before picture 3 & Jack Whites). Lot's to be done.

In the old days the new road would already be unofficially in use by the locals for their daily commutes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Drove this last weekend. I could see a partial opening Beehive - Jack Whites being done if the current disparity of work done continues.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

L1011 wrote: »
    Drove this last weekend. I could see a partial opening Beehive - Jack Whites being done if the current disparity of work done continues.

Didn't think there'd be much happening on this scheme with the weather we've been getting - then again, I haven't been down that way lately.

Advertisement