Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

389616_433653226662666_205876559440335_1518724_1788293217_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Excellent letter in the Irish Times
    Sir, – With regard to Kelly Johnson’s letter (May 4th) commenting on my article (“Disturbing claims by homeopaths” Science Today, April 12th), may I make a correction and some comments? I am not and never have been a member of the Irish Association for Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy. I am a member of the Psychological Society of Ireland and of the British Psychological Society and adhere to their codes of ethics, which are essentially equivalent.

My article focused on the homeopathy-based Cease (Complete Elimination of Autistic Spectrum Expression) method for the treatment of autism, which I described as “glaringly inaccurate nonsense”, a position that I maintain. I mentioned Ms Kelly’s name as the advertised presenter of a course on Cease and said nothing further about her and so did not disparage her personally. Homeopathy on the other hand has been properly disparaged by many, including myself, as pseudoscientific sympathetic magic.

Within psychology, science and medicine, codes of ethics are constructed primarily to protect the users of the relevant services and to ensure appropriate and evidence-based practice.

Within these professions, robust debate and criticism regarding day-to-day practice and claims made are actively encouraged as part of the evolution of ideas and the elimination of what is false, or constitutes poor practice.

This latter approach is largely absent from the world of alternative therapies, where a radical relativism prevails in which all practices are viewed as valid and are based primarily on anecdote and testimonial and are touted on the basis of their longevity. As a consequence, they do not evolve and remain mired in mysticism.

While autism cannot currently be cured, there are many science-based interventions that have made enormous improvements in the lives of those with the condition and their families.

I do not advocate depriving people of any treatment road they wish to pursue, but I do insist on provision of the information necessary for informed decision-making, and I object to unproven alternative treatments being paid for by overstretched national health services and health insurance companies, which ought to fund on the basis of evidence rather than popular demand. – Yours, etc,

PAUL O’DONOGHUE,
    Principal Clinical Psychologist,
    Woodleigh Elm,
    Highfield Road, Dublin 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Dinosaur radiator! How could you NOT want one? :eek:

teplosaurus-interior.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sarky wrote: »
    How could you NOT want one?
    "Release date: April 01 2012"

:(

I know, but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That radiator plus this floor and that bathroom.

Anyone else got any cool stuff to add?

Jernal wrote: »

Anyone else got any cool stuff to add?

Vertigo :eek:

That loo is a nice idea on paper, but the details need work -- is the toilet in the photo just the top one of a column of bathrooms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A loo with a view; I hope its not in that house they were building recently in Israel, where they discovered Jesus's tomb underneath the foundations :)

How about having this swimming pool in your hall.

Bet God never moved the moon? :D

Can't embed the image for some reason. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Bet God never moved the moon? :D

Can't embed the image for some reason. :(

O rly?

crSq6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

teplosaurus-interior.jpg
    tumblr_m3rz1xwdTe1qfssyl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

teplosaurus-interior.jpg

I'm not sure what looks sillier - those mittens, or T-Rex's normal hands.

The Oatmeal has a nice piece about Tesla. Also about how Edison was a douche.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

jLGXP.jpg

A child's skull before losing baby teeth! :eek:

Ew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

How come Pluto is there, but Ceres and the other dwarf planets aren't?

• Advertisement

jLGXP.jpg

*Must not stare fixedly at grandchildren's heads and go 'ew'*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

jLGXP.jpg

GAH!!! Xenomorph!!! Kill it! Kill it with fire!!!

Weird. A quick google suggests that there's only one skull which actually shows all this stuff with the surface bone sliced off. Eeeeww:

204984.jpg

With the bone in place, here's what a four year old kid's skull looks like:

204985.jpg

From my new favourite "Jeez, how did you end up doing that?" website here.

robindch wrote: »

With the bone in place, here's what a four year old kid's skull looks like:

204985.jpg

From my new favourite "Jeez, how did you end up doing that?" website here.

and it can be your's for just $210 plus $35 for the '4-year-old Human Child Skull Stand' :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Good god.
    I clicked on the last page of this "Interesting Stuff Thread" to see what's new, only to find the skulls of children.

Do you know what the Christians are going to say now?

"Seeee. I told youse. A bunch of divil-worshipin' baby-killin' atheists!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Kivaro wrote: »
    "Seeee. I told youse. A bunch of divil-worshipin' toddler-killin' atheists!"

Fixed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Koko turns her back on film at sad part. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

wat

Norway abolishes state-sponsored religion:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/324906
    In an unprecedented move, the Norwegian Parliament has voted to abolish the state-sponsored Church of Norway with a constitutional amendment. The bipartisan measure to create a separation of church and state will officially be presented on Tuesday, reports Norway's TV2. The nation will not have an official religion, and the government will not participate in the appointment of church deans and bishops.

Svein Harberg, the spokesman for the Church, Education, and Research Committee stated that the decision "is historic both for the Norwegian Church and for the politicians in Parliament." The Church of Norway began after the Lutheran Reformation in 1536, and was officially called the Lutheran State Church. The state meddled very little in church matters, only quelling unrest when it had to, chose high church officials, and financially supported the church. Opposition from secular groups arose in the 1970s when Norway's economy boomed and the church benefited.

Traditionally, every citizen of Norway became a member of the Church of Norway upon baptism. 79 percent of Norwegians are registered members, but only about 20 percent make religion a large part of their lives and only two percent attend church regularly, according to 2009 and 2010 data. A 2002 study done by Gustafsson and Pettersson revealed that 72 percent of Norwegians "do not believe in a personal God."

I%20LOVE%20NORWAY_LA_hvit.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,847 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

Lovely children's tale, or example of how easy it is to lose meaning in translation?

http://www.rockpapercynic.com/index.php?date=2009-05-06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

koth wrote: »

Would of been so much better if the year was present on the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Interesting watching Irelands little pushback. I guess I never thought of it in geographical terms but the pushback around 1400-1600 was actually nearly complete.

The Institute of Physics of Ireland has an online petition up to name the new Marlborough Street bridge over the Liffey in honor of Ernest Walton, Ireland’s only physics Nobel prizewinner:

http://www.iopireland.org/news/12/page_55296.html

• Moderators Posts: 51,847 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Scientists Build Electricity Producing Viruses
    Scientists at the Department of Energy's Berkeley Lab have genetically engineered a virus known as M13 to emit electricity when pressure is applied to it. "M13 is a natural power source, but researchers enhanced its output by genetically engineering the virus, adding some negatively-charged amino acids to one end of its tough outer shell." Scientists organized the viruses onto squares of film measuring about one square centimeter and then sandwiched the film between two gold-plated electrodes. By connecting wires to the electrodes, scientists were able to power a small liquid-crystal display screen.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The Church of Ireland affirms, according to our Lord’s teaching that marriage is in its purpose a union permanent and life-long, for better or worse, till death do them part, of one man with one woman, to the exclusion of all others on either side”.more

Didn't stop them previously from voting to allow divorced persons to remarry though :pac:
    The age profile of the delegates pictured in the article suggests the older generation are the ones doing the voting. In a way, they are hastening the demise of their own church by alienating the younger generation, who are generally not homophobic.

koth wrote: »

It's only a matter of time now. :D

pikachu.gif

Purely so I'll be able to find this gem again.
    No added colouring or preservatives eat your heart out.
    tumblr_m44s6jNROv1qzicj3o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Purely so I'll be able to find this gem again.
    No added colouring or preservatives eat your heart out.
    tumblr_m44s6jNROv1qzicj3o1_500.jpg

I take it, thats aimed at the type of people who would earnestly support the worthy environmental cause of a ban on the use of di-hydrogen monoxide in industry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Calibos wrote: »
    I take it, thats aimed at the type of people who would earnestly support the worthy environmental cause of a ban on the use of di-hydrogen monoxide in industry?
    Hey, DHMO is a serious threat! Inhaling even a small amount can kill you to death.

kylith wrote: »
    Hey, DHMO is a serious threat! Inhaling even a small amount can kill you to death.

Pfft how naive are you!
    Sam Vimes wrote:
    DHMO:
    -is also called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
    -contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
    -may cause severe burns.
    -is fatal if inhaled.
    -contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    -accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    -may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    -has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    -as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    -in nuclear power plants.
    -in the production of Styrofoam.
    -as a fire retardant.
    -in many forms of cruel animal research.
    -in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    -as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Sam Vimes hurry on back to this board ya hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Where is Sam anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

This priest is getting himself in a lather..
    From today's Irish Times

Obama's support for gay marriage
    Sir, – Though well into my 80s, I can’t remain silent after reading your Editorial (on gay marriage, May 11th). You obviously reflect that groupthink that pervades the media today and which I experience as overwhelming. Those shouts are coming at us from all sides: get rid of the Ten Commandments, Christianity is irrelevant to our lives, get all mention of Jesus Christ out of our schools.

Though I have not much energy left, I am appalled at the anti-God poison that is in the air, about the perversity of shaping an “easy”, “gentle” type of religion with no mention of any cross and no mention of marriage coming from God the creator of male and female.

Sixty years ago, almost, when I was ordained a priest, I never imagined these unbelievable attempts, not with guns but with the print and electronic use of language, that would be made – let me put it bluntly – to tear our civilisation apart. – Yours, etc,

Fr TOM KELLEHER,
    Ballinspittle,
    Co Cork.

Fortyniner wrote: »
    This priest is getting himself in a lather..
    From today's Irish Times

Obama's support for gay marriage
    Sir, – Though well into my 80s, I can’t remain silent after reading your Editorial (on gay marriage, May 11th). You obviously reflect that groupthink that pervades the media today and which I experience as overwhelming. Those shouts are coming at us from all sides: get rid of the Ten Commandments, Christianity is irrelevant to our lives, get all mention of Jesus Christ out of our schools.

Though I have not much energy left, I am appalled at the anti-God poison that is in the air, about the perversity of shaping an “easy”, “gentle” type of religion with no mention of any cross and no mention of marriage coming from God the creator of male and female.

Sixty years ago, almost, when I was ordained a priest, I never imagined these unbelievable attempts, not with guns but with the print and electronic use of language, that would be made – let me put it bluntly – to tear our civilisation apart. – Yours, etc,

Fr TOM KELLEHER,
    Ballinspittle,
    Co Cork.

Ballinspittle...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

I remember hearing about their moving statues when I lived in London. Oh how us Irish enjoyed people of other nationalities laughing at us, the Dubs also had a ball as it gave them a chance to laugh at Cork people - all of them were unaware that nobody was laughing more then us Corkonians.
    Kept us amused for months.

Such opinions will lose a lot of weight in the coming years, because most of the people holding them are very very old.

Such opinions will lose a lot of weight in the coming years, because most of the people holding them are very very old.

It's interesting that the letter from Ballinspittle's voice of moral authority is published under a letter discussing Freedom of Speech in Bahrain.
    Now - Freedom of Speech in Bahrain would be a good thing - a civilised thing- which I am sure the good father would agree with. I doubt he would support Muslim States silencing people.

What many Christians fail to understand is that we have a great deal of Freedom of Speech in Ireland.

This allows Christians to say things like 'Jesus Loves You' and 'The Catholic Church is the only way to salvation' without fear of censorship.
    It also allows those who disagree with those statements to say 'That's Bollocks!'
    :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Breaking News:

"Octogenarian Priest From Ballinspittle Appalled That Everyone Doesn't Embrace His Catholic Worldview."

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It also allows those who disagree with those statements to say 'That's Bollocks!'
    :D

Isn't there some form of law her on this isle making sure we can't call religion Bollocks?

• Advertisement

dmw07 wrote: »
    Isn't there some form of law her on this isle making sure we can't call religion Bollocks?

Ah - but I didn't call religion Bollocks - I said those statements were Bollocks.

Legal hair-splitting at it's finest. ;)

Not to mention that the statement that 'the Catholic Church is the only way to salvation' could also be considered blasphemy by those who believe the way to salvation is via an entirely different religion.

Advertisement