Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*** Proposed New Junior Cert. **Read Mod Warning Post #1 Before Posting**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

So we correct and set the classroom assessments? How is that new?

It's not. Teachers continuously assess all the time. It just means that some of that assessment will be designed in a particular way, and recorded on the students' record of achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

katydid wrote: »
    Surely it's total movement from the Travers document - NO STATE CERTIFICATION form school based assessment. Teachers have been saying all along that it's not CA they have a problem with, rather the state certification of it.

"Bypassing the SC" What is the SC? The unions have accepted nothing; the union is the members, not the executive. The unions will only have accepted when and if the members accept it.

go onto Asti Fightbacks Facebook page and read their interpretation of today's events. they have 2 members on the Standing Committee I.e. SC
    so they were actually there in the room today unlike us. and they aint happy.
    Jan is . Why is that I wonder ?

km79 wrote: »
    go onto Asti Fightbacks Facebook page and read their interpretation of today's events. they have 2 members on the Standing Committee I.e. SC
    so they were actually there in the room today unlike us. and they aint happy.
    Jan is . Why is that I wonder ?

It's down to the members concerned at the end of the day. It doesn't matter whether the proposers are happy or unhappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It's down to the members concerned at the end of the day. It doesn't matter whether the proposers are happy or unhappy.
    It's down to the members to vote alright, we are the union, but how many eejits just go with the union recommendation without even bothering to read the stuff themselves.

I know our staff room is full of them.

That's true but what do you think of their interpretation of it ?

That's true but what do you think of their interpretation of it ?

As someone who works with state certified continuous assessment every day, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I respect my colleagues who have a problem with it, and with the decision of the leadership of my union to come up with a proposal and to put it to the membership.

I won't be voting as I don't teach at second level, but I am happy to leave the decision to my colleagues.

It's down to the members to vote alright, we are the union, but how many eejits just go with the union recommendation without even bothering to read the stuff themselves.

I know our staff room is full of them.

That's democracy for ye...

You don't have a high opinion of your colleagues, do you? Maybe they're not exactly the sheep you assume they are.

, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I don't teach at second level.
    I understand why you have no problem with it now .

I understand why you have no problem with it now .

I have no problem with a union coming up with a proposal and putting it to its members. No matter what the issue. Other issues, such as the CP or HR agreements, concerned me, and I didn't have a problem with the executive of my union putting a proposal to me and my colleagues. That's how a union works.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with a union coming up with a proposal and putting it to its members. No matter what the issue. Other issues, such as the CP or HR agreements, concerned me, and I didn't have a problem with the executive of my union putting a proposal to me and my colleagues. That's how a union works.
    I know how a union works hence how I knew what SC stood for.
    I was not referring to you having no problem with the way the union works.
    I was referring to you not knowing what all the fuss was about I.e. The agreement.
    You left this part out when quoting me .

Taking another break from the forum .......have a good summer everyone
    We will need all our energy when we come back !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭acequion

katydid is there any chance that you might stop badgering people and let some discussion flow? Please.

This is not some academic debate,many second level teachers affected by this are starting to get worried and it would be nice if people could find an outlet here,both those for and against.

deiseindublin is right.Many people go along with whatever is recommended to them and if the unions recommend acceptance then the likelihood is that it will be accepted. If you are not convinced about the level of disengagement among our collegues just look at the derisory turn out for recent crucially important ballots.

acequion wrote: »
    katydid is there any chance that you might stop badgering people and let some discussion flow? Please.

This is not some academic debate,many second level teachers affected by this are starting to get worried and it would be nice if people could find an outlet here,both those for and against.

deiseindublin is right.Many people go along with whatever is recommended to them and if the unions recommend acceptance then the likelihood is that it will be accepted. If you are not convinced about the level of disengagement among our collegues just look at the derisory turn out for recent crucially important ballots.

Badgering people? You mean, expressing an opinion you disagree with? Well excuse me...

I know all about disengagement - you seem to imagine I work in some sort of rarefied atmosphere. I have had years of distributing ballot papers and trying to persuade people to bother voting. Years, indeed, of trying to get people to turn up to union meetings. Many people are disengaged, but we have seen that in this particular issue, there has been a high level of engagement, for a change. It's not a given that union members concerned in this vote won't think for themselves, as was implied.

I know how a union works hence how I knew what SC stood for.
    I was not referring to you having no problem with the way the union works.
    I was referring to you not knowing what all the fuss was about I.e. The agreement.
    You left this part out when quoting me .

I don't know what the fuss is about in terms of the fact that I disagree with my second level colleagues that state certified assessment by the teacher is a problem. I disagree because I do it, and it's not a problem.

At the same time, I respect the fact that my colleagues have a problem with it. AND I respect the democratic process of the union, which is offering them an option to resolve the situation.

So what do people think? Astifightback are saying that it's a capitulation and a sell out. The Indo had a screaming headline that it's a Coalition cave in. Two totally opposing viewpoints. Who is right?

On paper it doesn't look too bad,two assessments in all. But then my heart sinks at all the talk of bureaucratisation and loads of moderation meetings. Boring minutiae that I personally could not bear.

• Advertisement

So what do people think? Astifightback are saying that it's a capitulation and a sell out. The Indo had a screaming headline that it's a Coalition cave in. Two totally opposing viewpoints. Who is right?

On paper it doesn't look too bad,two assessments in all. But then my heart sinks at all the talk of bureaucratisation and loads of moderation meetings. Boring minutiae that I personally could not bear.

Paperwork and meetings are certainly the downside of all this. And it's crucial that time is given for this and that it's not tacked on to the existing time expectations. And that time is allocated for training.

I would be worried about that, especially now that it will NOT be state certified.

Ok.Let's say I'm being totally naive here. Let's say they do a project in second year year and something else in third year and this is instead of the xmas test each year. Why the need for loads of paperwork? And what kind of paperwork?

Ok.Let's say I'm being totally naive here. Let's say they do a project in second year year and something else in third year and this is instead of the xmas test each year. Why the need for loads of paperwork? And what kind of paperwork?

I presume paperwork regarding how the project was planned and carried out. Evidence, if relevant, that during the process, consultation and advice from the teacher took place. Briefs which show that the assignment instructions were clear and understood by the student, evidence that they were aware of the submission date. Evidence that they submitted the work, and evidence they were given feedback. Checking for plagiarism.

For starters... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I presume paperwork regarding how the project was planned and carried out. Evidence, if relevant, that during the process, consultation and advice from the teacher took place. Briefs which show that the assignment instructions were clear and understood by the student, evidence that they were aware of the submission date. Evidence that they submitted the work, and evidence they were given feedback. Checking for plagiarism.

I'd imagine it would be more like LCA key assignments i.e. none of the above.

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Hopefully...

• Advertisement

And what are LCA key assignments like? What paper work is involved in that case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think it's been worded very carefully in that regard. I read it early and my initial thought was 'oh that doesn't sound too bad' and then I thought about it and the proposal presented to us a couple of months back was a state exam for 60% and continuous assessment for 40% (graded by teachers) and the student would receive two grades. Leaving out the not wanting to grade our own students issue, teachers raised concerns about the notion of a students scoring an A in one assessment and a D in the other part of the assessment and parents complaining that the teacher was marking too easy/ too harsh / is crap etc, etc.

So now this evening i'm reading a proposal that says we do a second year assessment that will appear alongside their JC grade on the certificate which is now called a Profile of Achievement.

How is this any different? Aren't we still assessing our students under a heading called Classroom Based Assessment under this new proposal?? Have I completely missed something?
    Following this, before the end of the first term following the completion of the Junior Cycle, each student will receive a composite Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement from his/her school, which will capture
    all of the different assessment elements undertaken over the three years of Junior Cycle

Just as an aside, it mentioned on the news tonight that the students other achievements can be listed in this profile such as Gaisce Award, Young Scientist etc. Is this profile going to be a mini CV for 15 year olds, and will teachers that are already stretched be pressed to do more extra curricular so students have more to add to the cert?

All the necessary requirements for FETAC assessment. If we are providing 'feedback' on a classroom based assessment that is going on an official cert / profile of achievement then we will have to have paperwork to back it up.

I suspect we will end up closer to FETAC paperwork than LCA paperwork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

I think it's been worded very carefully in that regard. I read it early and my initial thought was 'oh that doesn't sound too bad' and then I thought about it and the proposal presented to us a couple of months back was a state exam for 60% and continuous assessment for 40% (graded by teachers) and the student would receive two grades. Leaving out the not wanting to grade our own students issue, teachers raised concerns about the notion of a students scoring an A in one assessment and a D in the other part of the assessment and parents complaining that the teacher was marking too easy/ too harsh / is crap etc, etc.

So now this evening i'm reading a proposal that says we do a second year assessment that will appear alongside their JC grade on the certificate which is now called a Profile of Achievement.

How is this any different? Aren't we still assessing our students under a heading called Classroom Based Assessment under this new proposal?? Have I completely missed something?

Just as an aside, it mentioned on the news tonight that the students other achievements can be listed in this profile such as Gaisce Award, Young Scientist etc. Is this profile going to be a mini CV for 15 year olds, and will teachers that are already stretched be pressed to do more extra curricular so students have more to add to the cert?

There is no 60% / 40% anymore. The school-based assessments and final assessments are separate. So the State Cert will contain their grade from exams and separately in the profile there will be records of other 'achievements'. Sounds a bit like a TY programme with awards, certs, projects and exams all presented in a folder at a grad night.

All the necessary requirements for FETAC assessment. If we are providing 'feedback' on a classroom based assessment that is going on an official cert / profile of achievement then we will have to have paperwork to back it up.

I'm basing my assumptions on Fetac paperwork. If it's going on a cert at the end of the Junior Cert cycle, I should imagine it will need to be documented in this way. I could be wrong. It might indeed be TY style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

You've obviosuly just come thru QQI IV process, can't see JC going anywhere near this level of checking.

There will still be only a certain amount of hours in the day. Only so much teachers can be expected to do. And teachers have to have the cojones to refuse to do more than they can reasonably do.

Jamfa wrote: »
    There is no 60% / 40% anymore. The school-based assessments and final assessments are separate. So the State Cert will contain their grade from exams and separately in the profile there will be records of other 'achievements'. Sounds a bit like a TY programme with awards, certs, projects and exams all presented in a folder at a grad night.

Ya I know there's no 60/40 anymore, but one of the many iterations that the proposals went through (and were rejected) was that the students would end up with two grades on their cert, one from the SEC and one teacher marked.

The grade the student gets from the SEC, might be a 100% grade for the exam and third year written task that is submitted, but there will be a second grade/assessment alongside it graded by the teacher. So the numbers might not add to 100, but there's still 2 grades on the page at the end of the day, and one is the teachers.

You've obviosuly just come thru QQI IV process, can't see JC going anywhere near this level of checking.

The oral task in English requires next to no paperwork if it's assessing a 3 minute presentation which is reported to parents. Schools will need resources if they have to record them.
    All the exams are set and marked by SEC so all the paperwork and correcting if their job.

I don't think you've missed something because I would be thinking along those lines. This proposal has us doing a big chunk of the work which stills appears on their cert /profile of achievement. I can't see how that is any different to what Travers proposed and which was knocked on the head leading to another lunchtime protest.Why the capitulation?

• Advertisement

Does it show? Yes, externs just gone, and before that a HUGE amount of stress in the lead up. :) I was seeing PPS numbers and internal verification forms in my sleep.

I hope it doesn't come to that level of checking. As someone suggested, it might be more like the TY or LCA level.

Ya I know there's no 60/40 anymore, but one of the many iterations that the proposals went through (and were rejected) was that the students would end up with two grades on their cert, one from the SEC and one teacher marked.

The grade the student gets from the SEC, might be a 100% grade for the exam and third year written task that is submitted, but there will be a second grade/assessment alongside it graded by the teacher. So the numbers might not add to 100, but there's still 2 grades on the page at the end of the day, and one is the teachers.

The State Cert is a separate sheet. The school based are just descriptors like 'Achieved' and they'll be reported before the State Cert too.

I don't think you've missed something because I would be thinking along those lines. This proposal has us doing a big chunk of the work which stills appears on their cert /profile of achievement. I can't see how that is any different to what Travers proposed and which was knocked on the head leading to another lunchtime protest.Why the capitulation?

Surely the difference is that it's not state certified? Wasn't that the objection, not the continuous assessment itself?

The oral task in English requires next to no paperwork if it's assessing a 3 minute presentation which is reported to parents. Schools will need resources if they have to record them.
    All the exams are set and marked by SEC so all the paperwork and correcting if their job.

And how will that oral task be carried out? One student up at the top of the class presenting orally to the teacher and the class? Or still at the top of the class presenting orally to the teacher while all the others are magically "collaborating" in groups? Or a private presentation and then where are the 29 others?

What kind of paperwork is done in LCA? And TY? When I last did TY about three years ago there was no paper work. I am basically trying to get an idea of the paper work involved if this goes through. Surely it couldn't be as onerous as in FETAC! There's quite a bit in the proposal about not adding to our workload.

Am I clutching at straws??

And how will that oral task be carried out? One student up at the top of the class presenting orally to the teacher and the class? Or still at the top of the class presenting orally to the teacher while all the others are magically "collaborating" in groups? Or a private presentation and then where are the 29 others?

You'd have to engage in the supports and CPD provided to get those answers but it's not beyond organising in a simple manner given what happens in other subjects. Do you not get your students to make presentations or do dramas etc already and assess them? It's school based so won't be part of the state cert or grade.

The State Cert is a separate sheet. The school based are just descriptors like 'Achieved' and they'll be reported before the State Cert too.

No, it's not. They will get a set of results from the SEC but the report also says that early in the school year after Junior Cert, so first term of fifth year/TY a profile of achievement put together by the school. That profile will include the SEC results and the school based assessments.

In September following completion of third year, the SEC will continue to issue a statement of
    grades for the elements they have assessed (in line with current practice) including the written
    Assessment Task which will follow the second Classroom-Based Assessment. Following this,
    before the end of the first term following the completion of the Junior Cycle, each student will
    receive a composite Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement from his/her school, which will capture
    all of the different assessment elements undertaken over the three years of Junior Cycle.
    This
    will give appropriate recognition to the formative and summative assessment approaches
    embedded in the new Junior Cycle.

Who is responsible for putting these Profiles of Achievement together? The principal? The school secretary? Teachers? What can go on the profile aside from the classroom based assessment? Stuff like Gaisce, young scientists seem obvious, presumably it includes sporting achievements. Does the lad who trained every week for the year and was on all the teams for the U-16 GAA Connacht schools winning team get it put on, but also the lad who went to training in the first week in September so was on the panel, but really couldn't be arsed. This stuff is quite trivial at this stage, but I can see parents complaining, if their kids aren't picked for extra curricular teams....

No, it's not. They will get a set of results from the SEC but the report also says that early in the school year after Junior Cert, so first term of fifth year/TY a profile of achievement put together by the school. That profile will include the SEC results and the school based assessments.

Who is responsible for putting these Profiles of Achievement together? The principal? The school secretary? Teachers? What can go on the profile aside from the classroom based assessment? Stuff like Gaisce, young scientists seem obvious, presumably it includes sporting achievements. Does the lad who trained every week for the year and was on all the teams for the U-16 GAA Connacht schools winning team get it put on, but also the lad who went to training in the first week in September so was on the panel, but really couldn't be arsed. This stuff is quite trivial at this stage, but I can see parents complaining, if their kids aren't picked for extra curricular teams....

The State Cert is separate as it's on a separate page and is a state cert. Also presented to students will be the non state cert achievements. The SEC will send the results out and I assume schools will compile the various results like they do in TY or with summer reports etc. Like TY a school can decide what is included and surely encouraging and supporting our students in their learning is what we want to achieve as teachers.

The State Cert is separate as it's on a separate page and is a state cert. Also presented to students will be the non state cert achievements. The SEC will send the results out and I assume schools will compile the various results like they do in TY or with summer reports etc. Like TY a school can decide what is included and surely encouraging and supporting our students in their learning is what we want to achieve as teachers.

The bit I've quoted above is directly from the statement released today. It was also on the news several times this evening. Once junior cert profile to include SEC results, classroom based assessment, other school achievements. They specifically said on the RTE news that students would no longer receive a Junior Cert.

• Advertisement

The bit I've quoted above is directly from the statement released today. It was also on the news several times this evening. Once junior cert profile to include SEC results, classroom based assessment, other school achievements. They specifically said on the RTE news that students would no longer receive a Junior Cert.

But the whole point of the strikes etc was to ensure that the exams remained state certified so they effectively are whether officially called it or not. The exams are state certified so I'm sure will continue to be referred to as the junior cert state exams or junior cycle state exams. If the system stayed exactly the same there wouldn't be any reforms or need to vote etc.

On another note, any strong feelings on the new Well Being subject???

I think they could have given it a better name for starters, if it encompasses PE/SPHE/CSPE/RSE and they aren't integrated in any meaningful way, which realistically they mightn't be, I can see them being timetabled under the one name, but essentially a class would have PE with one teacher and CSPE/SPHE/RSE with another teacher over the course of the week.

I think they could have given it a better name for starters, if it encompasses PE/SPHE/CSPE/RSE and they aren't integrated in any meaningful way, which realistically they mightn't be, I can see them being timetabled under the one name, but essentially a class would have PE with one teacher and CSPE/SPHE/RSE with another teacher over the course of the week.

It sound very New Agey.

Well that seems to have come entirely from the unions side especially including CSPE as part of well-being. I can't understand why they fought to save CSPE and not history.

But the whole point of the strikes etc was to ensure that the exams remained state certified so they effectively are whether officially called it or not. The exams are state certified so I'm sure will continue to be referred to as the junior cert state exams or junior cycle state exams. If the system stayed exactly the same there wouldn't be any reforms or need to vote etc.

That depends how schools deal with it. Presumably if this goes through, they will have complete profiles for students by the end of third year, they will have a list of subjects the students are sitting for JC at the end of third year. If a school were to wait for JC results to come in mid September and fill in the grades on the Profile of Achievement and hand that out on the day as the complete profile they parents are getting the whole lot in one go, there might be a bit of paper attached to it with the results from the SEC on the day, but what I'm taking from all of this is that the Profile of Achievement is a composite document that supercedes everything that went before.

That depends how schools deal with it. Presumably if this goes through, they will have complete profiles for students by the end of third year, they will have a list of subjects the students are sitting for JC at the end of third year. If a school were to wait for JC results to come in mid September and fill in the grades on the Profile of Achievement and hand that out on the day as the complete profile they parents are getting the whole lot in one go, there might be a bit of paper attached to it with the results from the SEC on the day, but what I'm taking from all of this is that the Profile of Achievement is a composite document that supercedes everything that went before.

But the results of the school based tasks will have been reported in 2nd or 3rd year so the only surprise will be the state exam results.

• Advertisement

Well that seems to have come entirely from the unions side especially including CSPE as part of well-being. I can't understand why they fought to save CSPE and not history.

To be honest, I'd imagine that with the cap on 10 JC subjects with most students (in my experience) doing 11, that most students given the chance would have given CSPE the chop from their lists, or their parents would have. Particularly as there is no follow on subject in Leaving Cert.

I'm guessing also that if CSPE was retained as a compulsory subject along with English, Irish and Maths as it is now, that a lot of parents and students would have been complaining that they had to drop one of their other subjects out of their 11.

To be honest, I'd imagine that with the cap on 10 JC subjects with most students (in my experience) doing 11, that most students given the chance would have given CSPE the chop from their lists, or their parents would have. Particularly as there is no follow on subject in Leaving Cert.

I'm guessing also that if CSPE was retained as a compulsory subject along with English, Irish and Maths as it is now, that a lot of parents and students would have been complaining that they had to drop one of their other subjects out of their 11.

You're right but why CSPE couldn't just be a short course with no exam baffles me. The current Action Report and exam is a joke.

But the results of the school based tasks will have been reported in 2nd or 3rd year so the only surprise will be the state exam results.

But some parents and students will pass absolutely no heed of what is coming home in summer and Christmas tests, but see the JC as official. If the new profile replaces that as the official document, then I think that is what will lend weight to the grade/ assessment.

If I grade a student as a C in a second year assessment ( or a written comment equiavalent to a C) and tell them that in second year, there will be students who will not accept/believe that is their level until they see the full list of grades in Sept fifth year. If they get a C in Junior Cert then they'll accept my grade as fair. if they get an A in Junior Cert, they'll say I'm too harsh/ crap teacher. if they get a D in Junior Cert they'll say 'the questions did suit me on the day' :rolleyes:

You're right but why CSPE couldn't just be a short course with no exam baffles me. The current Action Report and exam is a joke.

Because no school would voluntarily teach it. It has zero status in schools. It's well documented here, if anecdotally. It's a timetable filler, it's the subject methodology everyone takes on the PME if they only have one subject, just to say they have a second subject. If the school down the road is offering computer coding and Chinese* :pac: students are not going to want to take up CSPE offered in their school. They'll head to the school down the road. Or they'll be demanding those subjects.

I was amused today despite the Indo's tabloid style reporting of the new proposals suggesting Chinese for Junior Cert. Can't wait to see all these schools with teachers with Chinese qualifications lining up to teach it next year.

But some parents and students will pass absolutely no heed of what is coming home in summer and Christmas tests, but see the JC as official. If the new profile replaces that as the official document, then I think that is what will lend weight to the grade/ assessment.

If I grade a student as a C in a second year assessment ( or a written comment equiavalent to a C) and tell them that in second year, there will be students who will not accept/believe that is their level until they see the full list of grades in Sept fifth year. If they get a C in Junior Cert then they'll accept my grade as fair. if they get an A in Junior Cert, they'll say I'm too harsh/ crap teacher. if they get a D in Junior Cert they'll say 'the questions did suit me on the day' :rolleyes:
    Such is life... my students think I'm the Bitch from Hell when they get a grade they don't like in their FETAC assessment. I can live with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement