Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Cork intermediate team more than likely named tommorrow night for tippereary on friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Tipp team for Friday night named -

1. Darragh Egan (Kildangan)
    2. Seán O'Brien (Newport)
    3. Micheál Butler (Drom and Inch)
    4. Tom Treacy (Cappawhite)
    5. Willie Ryan (Clonakenny)
    6. David Young (Toomevara) Captain
    7. Padraig Heffernan (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    8. Joey McLoughney (Toomevara)
    9. Seán McCormack (Borris-Ileigh)
    10. Orrie Quirke (Silvermines)
    11. Timmy Hammersley (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    12. Danny O'Hanlon (Carrick Swans)
    13. Ruairi Gleeson (Kildangan)
    14. Thomas Butler (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    15. Paudie Greene (Upperchurch Drombane)

keane2097 wrote: »
    Listen, this isn't a blog site. If you want to discuss a topic, you don't introduce false yes/no scenarios in order to try and shut someone who is disagreeing with you up. If you want to own the conversation and refuse to engage properly, I recommend wordpress, blogger or a million other places where you can write away to your heart's content and turn off comments. Here on boards.ie you don't get to ask a question and tell someone what their answers are allowed to be. If that makes you want to take your ball and go home grand, come back when you enter your teens.

Hope this helps.
    first and foremost im only going to say one final point,as were going around in circles and gone completely off topic and im not going to entertain you with your words of wisdom from the english dictonary.

I did not ask a yes or no question.i simply asked as you strongly,disagreed with my view,if loosing to armagh was not a low for cork,what exactly was it.

I had hoped you would have entered reasonable debate.
    When it was clear you woudnt i left it at that and agreed to disagree.

Im not going to stop posting just cause you order me to.If a moderator or a majoirity of posters,do not want me to post them i wont and will out of common courtsey close my account.

Im not going to engage with you in relation to this again as like i said before will agree to to disagree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Is that Darragh Egan in goals the same Darragh Egan who used play outfield with tipp and has the AI medal?

Connorzee wrote: »
    Is that Darragh Egan in goals the same Darragh Egan who used play outfield with tipp and has the AI medal?
    I think so,he played well when tipp beat us by a point in a qualifer in thurles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

with all due respect the hurling has nothing to do with cork v armagh.

It does if I'm speaking in relation to supporters of a team and their opinions on the outcome of a match.

I felt that before the Limerick game, whilst not being dismissive of Limerick, you in particular seemed to think that the game was Corks to win, the talk of the challenge games in Cloughduv where Cork dominated them springs to mind. I feel you've expressed the same type of attitude towards Armagh here so I'd have it as being relevant.

You are off the mark in to say cork were over confident against limerick.Allen said the same.
    Cork knew this would be close and with all our injuries to say we just thought we would win handy is completely rubbish.
    you clearly honey have being get far too much sun to say i overrate cork and blame the manager too much.
    The cork team even with a clueless manager has too much talent and even if CC goes with brawn over brains Cork are simply play at a different level to armagh.Our players would just walk through them.
    The fact is we always have been a top 4 manager even with CC.
    These are the best players cork have ever had

Yeah....it's all that sun

To say cork beaten by armagh is not a new low by hes own poor standards is just wrong.
    Anyone that says otherwise has clearly missed the boat.
    This armagh team is not a patch on the 2002 team.To dress a defeat to them as anything other than a new low is nonense.

Had Dublin lost to Meath I doubt it would have been a 'new low' for Dublin football and Meath are a division 3 side, so for me leagues mean the sum total of jack shít come championship time.

If Cork lose to Armagh then it's a loss...that's it, but it certainly isn't a new low for football in this county, seriously get a grip.

But you said it would be an all time low, do you now admit you were been over the top?

part and parcel is my answer.
    I asked a simple question and failed to get an answer.
    It turned in to more a like a game of scrabble in the end.

He was being way over the top Premierstone and now, evasive it would seem.

To be fair i never saw the cork game as ours to win.I had in fairness on both the limerick and Cork threads said the game would be close and go down to the wire.

I had felt Cork had weak aera's but so too did cork.Yes I felt it was a game we could win ,but I had feared limerick.
    I had felt that we could make inroads in certain aeras,but we were weak at full back and also at half back.

I had stated,that i felt their was more improvement in Cork,due to the fact that we were panel wise,in a much better place than we were for the Clare game and I was of the view,we had a better management.

A lot of Limerick fans,had felt the game was theirs to win and i can see why they thought that.
    I had like many Llmerick fans when i saw their team,felt it was to our advantage,
    but never felt it was 'ours to win'.In fact,i had stated Limerick may well win.

I posted an article in relation to christy o connor's view on page 265 here,where he did mention the challenge game,against Limerick in Kilworth.He felt,limerick would win this game.

I did not base any assumptions myself on that game,as i was not at it,but the u21 football final in the Gaelic grounds the same night.

In relation to a challenge game at Cloughduv,that would be the Cork and tipp challenge game,in which i did attend,but i did state after that game back as far back as May ,I would not read too much in to Cussen getting two goals or Corks win,as Tippereary did not seem up for the game,and understandably so,as it was a week after the league final.I did not use this game at Cloughduv,as any reference to the Limerick game,in fairness or the challenge game against Limerick in Kilworth,to say Cork would win or the fact Cork dominated them.
    In all my posts,i do not read too much in to challenge games where possible,and judge them on face value.

The article i posted by COC,had in fact used that game to say Limerick would win.

Donal O'Sullivan,Castletownbere is Corks new minor football manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Horse84

Barry Kelly reffing cork v Kilkenny. We can't catch a break it seems lol. Ah well at least it's not the no.2 ref in Westmeath this time...;)

• Advertisement

I think so,he played well when tipp beat us by a point in a qualifer in thurles.

I saw him play with NUIG in the fitz in the mardyke about 7/8 years ago before they won the senior all Ireland and he was simply awesome at half forward. With Sheedy in the crowd looking on. Looks to have put on the weight over the years though

I saw him play with NUIG in the fitz in the mardyke about 7/8 years ago before they won the senior all Ireland and he was simply awesome at half forward. With Sheedy in the crowd looking on. Looks to have put on the weight over the years though

One and the same, a class class hurler but like he's brother before him just didn't have the physique or feet for inter county senior hurling - outfield.

He reverted to the goals for he's club about 18 months ago, having previously played there as a 16 y/o for Tipp minors, and has been a revelation. He will be part of the Senior panel next year and I expect him to be first choice for Tipp for a number of years.

Yeah he was excellent,I'm sure i was their too.I remember him in an u21 game against KK,and he was very good too.

In relation to Barry Kelly,it will be two different worlds.Where Mcgrath pulls teams for everything,Kelly allows a lot of stuff go unpunished at times.

For those that can't go tonight,the match is live on tg4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

One and the same, a class class hurler but like he's brother before him just didn't have the physique or feet for inter county senior hurling - outfield.

He reverted to the goals for he's club about 18 months ago, having previously played there as a 16 y/o for Tipp minors, and has been a revelation. He will be part of the Senior panel next year and I expect him to be first choice for Tipp for a number of years.

Not far off the mark. Saw him play in the first round of the North Tipp champ and made some top class saves.

Indie. wrote: »
    Not far off the mark. Saw him play in the first round of the North Tipp champ and made some top class saves.

Yes the point blank one on one from Tommy Hefferenan was exceptional and Kildangan would and should have been well beaten only for him that day, they are now in the final and are red hot favourites for same, he actually made an even better save V Moneygall in a latter round when the Moneygall FF doubled on an overhead ball into the corner and he somehow got across to save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Where is the cork intermediate match on friday?

• Advertisement

malascoile wrote: »
    Where is the cork intermediate match on friday?

Thurles 7.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Artists impression of the new stadium that was approved planning last week (pics from Joe.ie)
    Pairc-11.jpg
    Pairc-2-good.jpg
    Pairc-3-good.jpg

60 million seems like an awful lot to me.

According to wiki Tipp spent 18m refurbishing Semple stadium.

60 million seems like an awful lot to me.

According to wiki Tipp spent 18m refurbishing Semple stadium.
    Gaelic grounds cost just 12 million and kerry are spending 2 million aprox for their centre of excellence.
    Thomond Park hardly cost 60 million and that is a superb stadium.

All the concern is with the new stadium,their was little mention of the minor hurling management term being up for renewal or anything about the U21 football manager last night.

As seen by the appointment of the minor manager in the football,nothing has changed.

Their was not even an interview process for it as far as I am aware.
    While Donal O' Sullivan has coached Beara to county titles at minor,U21 and Senior in 97,I ,but I am unaware he has had any recent success.

Is he related to the late Donal O Sullivan who was chairman of the CCB in the time Cork won the three in a row and was also on the Munster Council.??
    He was a selector this year though.

Hopefully Cork will win the hurling tonight.Its winnable but a big ask all the same.

Tippereary are a fine side,and are well organised under Ken Hogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

cork v tipp later??

fancies? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Gaelic grounds cost just 12 million and kerry are spending 2 million aprox for their centre of excellence.
    Thomond Park hardly cost 60 million and that is a superb stadium.

It's a hilarious amount of money to spend on a stadium.

It does need to be developed but the museum is a step too far - I'd prefer to see the stadium developed, a pitch or two for development teams etc. and the rest of the money spent attempting to develop the surrounding area which has suffered over the years.

An absolute embarrassment of a first half performance from the u-21's. midfield aside they look like a bunch that get fitz picked up in the car park outside before throw in.
    Hopefully they can turn it on in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Did I hear correctly at half time Donal O Grady say that the Cork Goalkeeper is only 16? Or is my Irish translation wrong and Back to school for me?! :pac:

Did I hear correctly at half time Donal O Grady say that the Cork Goalkeeper is only 16? Or is my Irish translation wrong and Back to school for me?! :pac:

That's what they're all saying, is that all he is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

If I was a Cork fan I would have been seriously pissed off with 5 mins left in the first half...and if I was a Tipp fan I'd feel the same now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Games gone now I think

Cork got it back to just a point behind and then just seemed to stop playing again. Your not going to come back twice from a long way behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Ah ffs 14 points down after being down a point

Conor Lehane seems to be low on confidence. He either misses his point or its dropping short. Same happened to him in the senior game against Limerick.

As i type this, the 5th Tipp goal has just gone in. They are by far the better side but i can't help but wonder what if the Tipp defender was sent off for his foul on the Cork goalscorer at the start of the second half.

Other than a few bright sparks, Cork seem very flat. They dont look like they really want it as much as Tipp do. Thats very disappointing.Tipp really doing well blocking down clearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The difference in skill levels of the tipp forwards compared to the cork lads is the huge difference for me. Tipp backs also much tighter and composed.

• Advertisement

The difference in skill levels of the tipp forwards compared to the cork lads is the huge difference for me. Tipp backs also much tighter and composed.

To a certain extent yes the massive difference though is their ability to win their own ball as well as being skilful. Cork hurling has lost that especially lost the art of catching under pressure.
    Our backs seemed to have been very unsure of themselves from the word go whether lads were playing out of position or what I don't know but they def did not play as a unit.
    Jamie coughlan was definitely the pick of the cork forwards there, he has great vision and not afraid to mix it. Conor lehane has lost whatever confidence he had, you'd worry for him.
    Tipp look a class act.
    Very depressing all told, there's just no positives to be found in that defeat at all

Horse84 wrote: »
    To a certain extent yes the massive difference though is their ability to win their own ball as well as being skilful. Cork hurling has lost that especially lost the art of catching under pressure.
    Our backs seemed to have been very unsure of themselves from the word go whether lads were playing out of position or what I don't know but they def did not play as a unit.
    Jamie coughlan was definitely the pick of the cork forwards there, he has great vision and not afraid to mix it. Conor lehane has lost whatever confidence he had, you'd worry for him.
    Tipp look a class act.
    Very depressing all told, there's just no positives to be found in that defeat at all

You'd be streching alright looking for when, but if there is one I think Jamie Coughlan was very visible which might be positive for yer Senior team. Lehane's loss of form in the past year is a real shame though, looked a super talent.

Congratuations to Tippereary.

As good as team as they are,even their own supporters,would admit that a defeat by that margin was a huge suprise to them.No way should a cork team with this much talent,be beaten like this.
    Not even a performance,we got.

Im not suprised though.I posted here before this game,that i feared we would under Ger Fitz,get a display lacking a game plan,devoid of tactics,and a team lacking a work ethic.

This was a no brainer as it has been the hallmarks of teams under him.

He could surely see Bill Walsh was tormenting Patrick O Mahony and left him there for 40 minutes without putting spillane on him or cahalane.Mark Sugrue should have been on earlier.

Why oh why?did Cork just keep launching ball after ball time and again down on a superb Tippereary half back line.

Daniel O Mahony was in trouble and Colm Barry should have been brought on.

Brian murray who I doubted had a fine game in fairness.

Nicky kelly should have been on earlier.
    Ger Fitzgerald should have went last year but make no mistake ,he is very much in line for the job next year ,if he wants to stay on,i heard.

Their will be nothing said about this shocking display in the papers tommorrow,they will blame everything but ask questions of the managemement team.Last weekend the Echo blamed everything bar the manager with the minor crisis.

As seen by the appointment of the minor football manager,it is the wrong people appointed time and again.

On a final note,what a superb point on he's knee's by Mcgrath.It reminded me of Brian Cocoran in 2004.

Congratuations to Tippereary.

As good as team as they are,even their own supporters,would admit that a defeat by that margin was a huge suprise to them.No way should a cork team with this much talent,be beaten like this.

I think we might be reading a bit too much into this cork team with this much talent part. Ok granted there was a lot of that team starting or on the bench for the seniors but is that a proper basis to judge talent on these days with the state of hurling in the county??

Cork hurling is in a huge crisis but the only concern is the new stadium.

I'm living abroad so missed the match. First thing that struck me was that Cork only scored two points in the second half. Were Cork that bad or do Tipp deserve alot of credit?

I'm living abroad so missed the match. First thing that struck me was that Cork only scored two points in the second half. Were Cork that bad or do Tipp deserve alot of credit?

Tipp are good, a tough prospect for either team in the final. Have had two games in Thurles, and the space suits. If Clare win tomorrow, then they will be at home again. If they got to an all-ireland final, they could play 4/5 games in Thurles which would be some advantage.

But any time there's that much between them, you;d have to question the opposition. In fairness, u21 is very much so on the day, one shot and know league or anything but Cork are better than that. Bar an 8 minute spell they were way off the pace, you couldn't be happy with that.

The most worrying part is that 8 of that team are on the senior panel.

I think we might be reading a bit too much into this cork team with this much talent part. Ok granted there was a lot of that team starting or on the bench for the seniors but is that a proper basis to judge talent on these days with the state of hurling in the county??
    That is a fair point.

But at the same time we have more talent than we had like in 2011 for sum time.

Even if people say we have no talent ,the display was so rudderless and devoid of any game plan management must seriously be questioned.

In four years,our manager has won just won game at home and one away from home.For the last four years,they have blamed bad luck,bounce of the ball,and thats hurling,days like that happen.
    Whats their excuse now?

This was as close to full strength as we could get,panel wise.

Bad tactics,and no game plan ,i had posted here before thegame.

Patrick O Mahony was never a full back,and the superb tipp full forward roasted him.He is a better corner back.

Colm spillane,who done okay is not a corner back,but a full back.

Daniel O Mahony is not as good as Colm Barry.
    Corks full forward line were starved of possesion,yet Cork like our minors done,launched high ball down on a dominant and superb tipp half back line.

No Cork team is that bad.
    Dillon Cahill in super form for Cloyne could not get even on the extended panel.

I had concerns about this management team long before tonight.I was really hoping to be wrong.

And their wont even be a whisper of discontent,about tonight at the next County Board meeting.
    It won't even be on the table for disscussion.
    Cork have no given right to be winning all irelands is all we will hear.
    We are not even competing now.

• Advertisement

The most worrying part is that 8 of that team are on the senior panel.
    Yeah it is very sad.

These guys confidence levels are shattered before they settle at senior level,and are hindered due to constant underage failure and shattering defeats.

That's what they're all saying, is that all he is?
    Yeah patrick collins was a minor this year.
    I don not think he was at fault for the goals,as he had little protection in front of him.

Cork Intermediate team to play Tipp in the Munster Final Friday Night at 7.30

1. Martin Coleman
    Ballinhassig

2. Mark Ellis . John O'Callaghan 4. Eoin Dillon
    Millstreet Inniscarra Milford

5. Tadhg Healy 6. Ross Cashman 7. Michael Walsh
    Buttevant Kilbrittain Kildorrery

8. John Cronin 9. Shane McCarthy
    Lisgoold Ballinhassig

10. Brian Lawton 11. Peter O'Brian 12. Rob O'Shea
    Castlemartyr Kildorrery Carrigaline

13. Colm Casey 14. Jamie Wall 15. Mark Kennefick
    Inniscarra Kilbrittain Ballygarvan

16 James Mc Sweeney Bandon
    17 Brian O Sullivan Fermoy
    18 Colm Spillane Castlelyons
    19 Michael O'Sullivan Tracton
    20 Barry Lawton Castlemartyr
    21 Bill Cooper Youghal
    22 Brian Hartnett Midleton
    23 Anthony Watson Milford
    24 Adrian Mannix Kilworth

Captain: Martin Coleman

Manager Liam Hayes

Additional Panel Members
    Mark Sugrue Bandon
    Colm Barry Castlelyons
    Nicky Kelly Mayfield
    Philip Crowley Bandon
    Kevin Hallissey Éire Óg

Ten U21 panel members on the panel.
    A Strong team,and great to see Bill Cooper and Michael O Sullivan involved with spillane on the bench.

I see few artistic impressions of the proposed puc redevelopment released today

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/pics-...-pretty-slick/

Yeah it is very sad.

These guys confidence levels are shattered before they settle at senior level,and are hindered due to constant underage failure and shattering defeats.

Conor O'Mahony was one of the unfortunates on the Tipp panel to have suffered a mauling in Nowlan Park back in 2004 in the u21 all ireland final and in fairness to Conor he has always gone on to play with such assurance and self belief. Its one bad result really tbf and ive no doubt Cork will respond in the most proactive fashion. I think the county board need to start acting with a bit of responsibility toward the Cork public though. Their approach to managerial selection is outdated.

Sometimes hammerings can keep you grounded and make you a stronger character going forward. Never ideal but its best if Cork try and learn from the experience rather then become plagued by self doubt. Personally i think they are alot better then their performance tonight suggests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

I see few artistic impressions of the proposed puc redevelopment released today

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/pics-...-pretty-slick/

It says it is going to be all-seater. This must mean that the terraces behind both goals are going to be seated. However from those images it looks like they are still terraced?Making those two areas seated will reduce the capacity drastically. I accept that extra capacity will come from adding on another tier to the covered stand (which is part of the plan) but I still don't see how this will all add up to 45,000?
    Also; no floodlights?Sure while they are at it they might as well stick them in.
    The work on the actual stadium seems minimal and there seems to be more emphasis on peripheral stuff (restaurants, meeting and conference rooms, media facilities, museum etc.).
    Still, I hope it sees the light of day.

Personably I'm kinda sick of hearing about the bloody thing. It's still a bit of a hole to get in or out of for a big match.

I'm more concerned with the standard of future cork teams that will be playing there. Who gives one flying f**k if it's going to be a state of the art stadium if we're not challenging for silverware?

Personably I'm kinda sick of hearing about the bloody thing. It's still a bit of a hole to get in or out of for a big match.

I'm more concerned with the standard of future cork teams that will be playing there. Who gives one flying f**k if it's going to be a state of the art stadium if we're not challenging for silverware?

I agree.The only succesful teams and munster champions we will be seeing the way things are going playing in the new stadium will be teams bar Cork,and the likes of Waterford or Tippereary or Clare or Limerick when Munster finals are staged in Cork due to it being a neutral venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

Yes but if we have good facilities down at the Pairc it will attract parents to bring their kids to games. A Centre of Excellence is also part of the re-development so it's more than just a bricks and mortar project.
    Should have happened years ago IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

lukin wrote: »
    It says it is going to be all-seater. This must mean that the terraces behind both goals are going to be seated. However from those images it looks like they are still terraced?Making those two areas seated will reduce the capacity drastically. I accept that extra capacity will come from adding on another tier to the covered stand (which is part of the plan) but I still don't see how this will all add up to 45,000?
    Also; no floodlights?Sure while they are at it they might as well stick them in.
    The work on the actual stadium seems minimal and there seems to be more emphasis on peripheral stuff (restaurants, meeting and conference rooms, media facilities, museum etc.).
    Still, I hope it sees the light of day.

And for the love of God i hope they make new seats which are for people bigger than 5 feet tall!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement