Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

So what's the thinking here about cats hunting birds in your garden? Tough titty suck it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

emo72 wrote: »
    So what's the thinking here about cats hunting birds in your garden? Tough titty suck it up?

No. There are many ways to deal with it.

In no particular order...

Talk to the owners of the cats
    If feral cats, contact warden and trap them
    Use proprietary cat repellents
    Douse them with a bucket of water/water gun etc.
    Secure the area e.g. chicken wire on fences, that leans in the direction of the cat approach.
    Plastic spike strips on walls
    Ensure the garden has plenty of bird cover.

The list is endless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Feeling a wee bit p!ssed off this morning driving into Limerick for xmas shopping...when out of the blue i saw a red squirrel scamper across the road, cheered me up no end....maybe they're numbers are on the up??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

In the midst of the Christmas rush last week I spotted a new visitor to our feeder which I identified as a haw finch.
    [we're near Carrick on Shannon]
    Unfortunately I was rushing out the door so didn't take time to try and get a photo and it was only after searching Boards that I realised they're quite rare in Ireland so thought I'd mention it.
    S/he hasn't been back since but hopefully s/he might make another appearance.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Paid a 'flying' visit to the Wexford Wildfowl Reserve http://www.wexfordwildfowlreserve.ie at the North Slob in Wexford today. It's many years since my only previous visit there and I was well impressed. If I have a complaint it's that there should be more effort made to extract cash from visitors! Even an 'in your face' donation box would be good. There were five of us and we would have happily paid or donated a few bob.

The Information Centre is excellent and the views from the main hide superb. White-fronted Geese, Mallard, Little Egrets, Whooper Swans and a Hen Harrier even put in an appearance. Sadly my pictures are just from a phone, but give some idea of the views.

View%2Bnorth%2Bfrom%2Bhide%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

Looking north from the main hide tower at the visitor centre: the dark patch in the background, at the water's edge, is an extensive area of specially planted beet and was alive with White-fronted Geese.

View%2Bwest%2Bfrom%2Bhide%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

View west from the tower.

Photos courtesy of Robin MGP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

90% certain i saw a bumblebee an hour or so ago, and it did not look big enough to be the size i assumed a queen would be.

90% certain i saw a bumblebee an hour or so ago, and it did not look big enough to be the size i assumed a queen would be.

There are a few around as it has been so mild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Saw an egret, a dipper and a kingfisher all on the same stretch of the Tolka this week, and in Kenmare just before Christmas discovered a group of jays frequenting a particular area. Beautiful birds, I didn't know until now they were native to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Came across this lovely article on a photographic record of a year in the life of an oak tree. It struck a chord as I'm forever in awe of woodland in all seasons, not the boring sameness of commercial spruce plantations, but the ever changing landscapes, sounds, colours and smells of deciduous woodland - places to lose oneself for an hour or two and that have a beauty and "presence" about them even in the darkest midwinter. So in praise of trees, this article -

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/jan/09/the-old-oak-a-year-in-the-life-of-a-tree-in-pictures?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Came across this lovely article on a photographic record of a year in the life of an oak tree. It struck a chord as I'm forever in awe of woodland in all seasons, not the boring sameness of commercial spruce plantations, but the ever changing landscapes, sounds, colours and smells of deciduous woodland - places to lose oneself for an hour or two and that have a beauty and "presence" about them even in the darkest midwinter. So in praise of trees, this article -

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/jan/09/the-old-oak-a-year-in-the-life-of-a-tree-in-pictures?CMP=share_btn_tw

Fascinating. He got some really lovely shots throughout the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

Excellent video by birdwatch Ireland on Hen Harriers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I went over to Newcastle Wood outside Ballymahon today, just on the off chance of hearing or seeing any Great Spotted Woodpeckers. Unfortunately they have started the tree-felling to turn it into Center Parcs resort. Most of the place has been fenced off, including where I used to regularly see Red Squirrel.

Then just looking at Irish Birding tonight, I see a GSW 1st county record for Roscommon today at Lough Key Forest Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

There must have been a fall of migrating Blackbirds last night. I have 6 males and 2 females eating apples on my small lawn. The resident pair are less than happy about it!

whyulittle wrote: »
    I went over to Newcastle Wood outside Ballymahon today, just on the off chance of hearing or seeing any Great Spotted Woodpeckers. Unfortunately they have started the tree-felling to turn it into Center Parcs resort. Most of the place has been fenced off, including where I used to regularly see Red Squirrel.

Then just looking at Irish Birding tonight, I see a GSW 1st county record for Roscommon today at Lough Key Forest Park.

I reckon anywhere with mature wooded areas worth keeping an eye (and an ear) open for GSW . Have had drumming and /or fleeting sight of this species in 2 locations in north midlands over the past few years so their countrywide expansion is probably well underway. Looking forward to a few early morning walks on my home woodland patch in coming weeks and hopeful of hearing drumming and maybe even catching sight of one. Recent exploration on the same site revealed quite a few excavation holes which are undoubtably GSW in origin. Hopeful of a breeding record one of these days !

I'm seeing quite a number of Blue Tits and Great Tits about, but I can't recall when I last saw a Coal Tit. I'm sure those of you who are feeding birds at the moment are seeing them?

Hotei wrote: »
    I'm seeing quite a number of Blue Tits and Great Tits about, but I can't recall when I last saw a Coal Tit. I'm sure those of you who are feeding birds at the moment are seeing them?

I always have them but in smaller numbers than the others. At the moment, as I look out, there are 9 Great Tits, 5 Blues, and 3 Coal Tits on the nut feeders.

Had a woodcock in the garden tonight. That's a new one for the garden list. Chuffed!

Hi all,

I am working with a team researching the viability of a pet care app at the minute and was hoping I could get a few of you to complete a quick survey for us.

https://t.co/BFRcBn14vq

We would also like to hear from any vets for their point of view as well.

https://t.co/AWuuEWVdmM

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Hi all,

I am working with a team researching the viability of a pet care app at the minute and was hoping I could get a few of you to complete a quick survey for us.

Thanks
    I attempted to fill out your survey but you cannot choose multiple pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Hi all,

Thanks
    done

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    I attempted to fill out your survey but you cannot choose multiple pets.

Thanks, should be fixed for you now. I won't ask you to pick your favourite and go with that one. :)

done

Thanks capercaillie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Delighted to see that the chaffinches have returned in numbers to our garden feeders. About a dozen there this morning to join a similar number of Goldfinches and Redpolls and several greenfinches.

This year up to now I have never had more than a two or three chaffinches at any one time where previously they were there in the biggest numbers.

Greenfinches and Goldie's outnumbering everything else in the garden this winter here. Nice to have regular visits to ground feeders by a pair of meadow pipits though !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Watched a buzzard hunting along the Dodder in Firhouse recently, only to spot a pair calling and flying very low in Bohernabreena a couple of days later. Wonderful sound and sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I was doing some work in the garden yesterday which kept the birds away from the feeders, well except for the Bluetits. I thought I had a pair that regularly feed off the black sunflower feeder but when I took a brief rest was delighted to see six Bluetits in the tree that came to the feeder in succession.

Rosahane wrote: »
    I was doing some work in the garden yesterday which kept the birds away from the feeders, well except for the Bluetits. I thought I had a pair that regularly feed off the black sunflower feeder but when I took a brief rest was delighted to see six Bluetits in the tree that came to the feeder in succession.

Studies have shown that there are five to six times more individual Bluetits visiting a garden than people imagine. We count the three or four we see at any one time but they are not the same three or four we see at another time of the day.

Spotted a Red Kite today for the first time in almost two years, funny enough it was in the same place as before near Roganstown golf club.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone have any experience of these?

https://www.aldi.ie/sea-grass-nesting-pods/p/073680081459200

Herself is thinking of getting a couple for the back garden.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience of these?

https://www.aldi.ie/sea-grass-nesting-pods/p/073680081459200

Herself is thinking of getting a couple for the back garden.

Just wonder how predator proof they are ? Might be worth a try if they can be put up out of reach of cats etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just wonder how predator proof they are ? Might be worth a try if they can be put up out of reach of cats etc ?

I'd probably stick them up in the trees at the bottom of the garden, I'm sure an industrious cat might still be able to get to them there though.

My main concern though would be whether they would move around too much in the wind?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I have limited experience with nest boxes but I'd be skeptical about those tbh!

I just don't see it being very successful. It would sway too much, in my opinion.

I just don't see it being very successful. It would sway too much, in my opinion.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of.

Blackbirds singing for the first time tonight :)

Bsal wrote: »
    Blackbirds singing for the first time tonight :)

............. and a Song Thrush singing its heart out here just before dark. Wonderful to hear! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

............. and a Song Thrush singing its heart out here just before dark. Wonderful to hear! :)

Same here - and you can't blame them atm as it feels more like the middle of April, not Feb. Knowing such years in the past, we will probably be battling snow and frost next month:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

First few bumble bees flying around the garden here today.

what bird is making these tweets ??

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1EQ7VJae8Pz

fryup wrote: »
    what bird is making these tweets ??

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1EQ7VJae8Pz

It sounds like a Dunnock to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

5 Red Kites circling over the M11 near Redcross this afternoon!

• Advertisement

Nice Spring day out there, even spotted my first few butterflies on the wing.

.......... even spotted my first few butterflies on the wing.

Small Tortoiseshell by any chance? Saw one during the week.

Small Tortoiseshell by any chance? Saw one during the week.

Small Tortoiseshell or Peacock, they were too quick and too high up to say for definite. Took advantage of the nice day though and went for a walk around the local bog and spotted Brimstone and Peacock. 4 Buzzards tumbling in the distance, and frogs still spawning in some of the drains, so not a bad afternoon.

24 bird species recorded down along the Shannon today, including a Treecreeper bringing nesting material back to a nestbox, and my first couple of Chiffchaffs of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Buzzard at Pedlars cross near Clonakilty today.3rd time seeing it there!

downwesht wrote: »
    Buzzard at Pedlars cross near Clonakilty today.3rd time seeing it there!

Four buzzards circling the garden here all afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Was visiting a friend this afternoon (NCD) and we watched 3 (1 large, 1 medium and a smaller one) riding the thermals. Arrived home a hour later about 10 odd miles away and heard peew call from above as I got out of the jeep. Looked up and saw 4 wheeling about. 2 were smaller which I presume are last years chicks. Thankfully there is a healthy population of Buzzards in NCD along weekly sightings of Red Kites.

Was visiting a friend this afternoon (NCD) and we watched 3 (1 large, 1 medium and a smaller one) riding the thermals. Arrived home a hour later about 10 odd miles away and heard peew call from above as I got out of the jeep. Looked up and saw 4 wheeling about. 2 were smaller which I presume are last years chicks. Thankfully there is a healthy population of Buzzards in NCD along weekly sightings of Red Kites.

Last years young are now adult size. You can get some variation in size but the Irish population are fairly standard in size. The difference in size is probably just down to distance and perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thankfully there is a healthy population of Buzzards in NCD along weekly sightings of Red Kites.
    a first for me in NCD today - three red kites circling together; i'd only ever seen them in plural in wicklow before.

a lot of wasps about ..i thought september is there time.....or is it the queens i'm seeing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement