Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭superbad50

hi guys. i too have been suffering from anxiety/depression for several years. I am currently on Lustral. I have managed to wind myself down to 50mg under the doctor's orders. of late I can feel myself getting worse. Having recently been made redundant I am having negative thoughts of , if I get a new job will I be able to do the job with my stress levels being so bad. I feel a nervous wreck. small events such as going the shop makes me go all fussy and nervous. My quality of life has really been affected. I am trying so hard but the only thing that comes into my head are negative thoughts. A lot of the time I feel like it is an effort to talk, my chest feels so tight.

doesnt help the matter that i have a mortgage, bills,etc. confidence and self esteem have been shattered and isnt quite there at the minute, ie to find employment, even if i wanted to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Well that's a bit silly...... in my opinion of course :)

whats silly about it. i dont come on these forums to hear about your past of taking illegal drugs. you say you took them ONLY five times while you have been on this earth. do you want a medal for that?

maybe its time you started to respect your body, respect the law, respect something / anything, aspire to something / set some goals for yourself and maybe, just maybe you wont be so depressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Bebs

mickman wrote: »
    whats silly about it. i dont come on these forums to hear about your past of taking illegal drugs. you say you took them ONLY five times while you have been on this earth. do you want a medal for that?

maybe its time you started to respect your body, respect the law, respect something / anything, aspire to something / set some goals for yourself and maybe, just maybe you wont be so depressed

This thread is about anxiety and depression. If you have a problem with this gentleman can you please keep it to personal messages? Seeing you condemning someone who posted honestly will probably turn more people away from this thread than anything that has been said here about illegal drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It would seem to me that if a person was depressed or anxious and had a history of drug they would be put off posting here. Drug users are treated very badly in this country, I posted a recent thread in the health sciences forum about it. Form an outsider looking it, I would say this thread needs to be non-judgemental.

Edit: Just to state some you know I'm a therapist and I also do a lot of work with drug users, in my opinion lads you have been doing a great job supporting each other, it would be a shame to see that going down the tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mick you're clearly being very supportive...good work! No wait, you're not. The guy didnt ask to be judged for what he has done in the past, although nice of you to suggest that he's suffering from depression from that. Nothing good to say then say nothing at all? And all that jazz?

Superbad sorry to hear that you've been having a few bad days. Congratulate yourself for being able to go to the shops, although for some it may seem like a pretty normal thing to do, for others it's not so easy. So well done :) commend yourself for doing those "little" things and you'll encourage positive thinking.

When I had my episode in 2007 I lived on icepops and icecubes, something small, but it worked for me. They cheered me up in fact! (er, that's a bit random, but try one and see!!)

• Advertisement

ok . i apologise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

mickman,

this thread is a supportive thread for those who have depression and anxiety.

it is not a place for criticisms/judgements/moral condemnations of someone's lifestyle choices.

if that doesnt suit your agenda, please dont post here again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

God awful day today. I feel like I barely exist.

why so, whats up

Nothing in particular, just woke up tired and feeling very down and anxious. Thats just it - it would be better if there was some specific reason. Its a problem thats being going on so long at this stage that it doesn't even matter how it ever started in the first place. I'm just stuck suffering all the time and I feel its slowly killing me.

I'm getting professional help and doing everything I can to make my life work but I'm really struggling at the same time.

• Advertisement

that happens the best of us man. we all get up feeling anxious from time to time.

you just need to try and say to yourself, "today is an anxious day, tomorrow wont be"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tikkaman

hi mate,

with regard to feeling crap, believe me i've noticed that when i feel tired

that my mood really is down, the worlds on my shoulders, my thinking's all over the place,

settle yourself down and concentrate on something good...

ATB.

tikkaman.

Cheers tikkaman, I didn't feel so bad today when I got out of work. Need to get a plan together for my mood in the mornings.

Hey George,

Sorry that you're havin a **** day. I used to find that I woke up in complete panic too. It was awful so I know how you're feeling. The way I used to combat it was to set myself something to tend to. For me that involved concentrating on having a shower...cause there were days (upon days) where I somehow forgot to. I got a great feeling from the achievement of washing myself.

It's the small things that go a long way. Little steps :)

Also, i'm planning on going to my first aware meeting tomorrow in dublin...anyone else venturing to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Hey George,

Sorry that you're havin a **** day. I used to find that I woke up in complete panic too. It was awful so I know how you're feeling. The way I used to combat it was to set myself something to tend to. For me that involved concentrating on having a shower...cause there were days (upon days) where I somehow forgot to. I got a great feeling from the achievement of washing myself.

It's the small things that go a long way. Little steps :)

Also, i'm planning on going to my first aware meeting tomorrow in dublin...anyone else venturing to it?

Yeah i went to them a lot in the last 2 years they are quite informative and useful also confidential you dont have to speak about yourself you dont want to just sit back and listen

Really? Thanks for letting me know, wasnt sure what to expect! Ill be the silent one in the corner :O kinda lookin forward to it though, something to look forward to where I know people will understand!

Ill let ya know how it goes...

So how's everyones sleeping pattern these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Still up half the night and sleeping in til the afternoon - great times lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cookiemixer

I'm kinda of suprised to hear someone slate off support groups just because they don't like the emails they have gotten. I have a friend who has contacted them and was happy with the info they got from that and form the free public talk they went to last yr. Also they have used the support group and found it helpful. I don't think aware and grow are about OCD anyways

Another Saturday night stuck in, anyone about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

C_Dawg wrote: »
    Another Saturday night stuck in, anyone about?

Shur where else would we be :)

• Advertisement

phi3 wrote: »
    Shur where else would we be :)

LOL

Ah I'm just feeling a bit miserable. A friend who cut me out of their lives a few months back has posted up pictures on Facebook of a party with all their new mates. The most enjoyable thing I had to look forward tonight was the pizza delivery man knocking on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm kinda of suprised to hear someone slate off support groups just because they don't like the emails they have gotten. I have a friend who has contacted them and was happy with the info they got from that and form the free public talk they went to last yr. Also they have used the support group and found it helpful. I don't think aware and grow are about OCD anyways

My experiece of support goups is the they can really help some people and some people aren't suited to them for different reasons. My understandimg of aware and grow especially the latter is that they cater of mental health issues in general, though I think aware is more focused on the depressive disorders.

Lot of people get great help through 12 step programmes for addictive disorders, but they just don't suit others, I would be a lot more familar with these groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭superbad50

sorry to hear you are feeling miserable. things always appear worse in our own heads than what they actually are. stay positive , look at things differently - least i can treat myself to an occasional pizza, as you well know there are a lot of people who dont have this choice and are far worse off. i know it's only small thing but if you can learn to enjoy and appreciate the small things a bit more often i feel you will be a better person for it

Cheers Superbad50, you have a good way at looking at things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cookiemixer

Yeah - I agree that support groups can be good but they may not be for everyone. Still, with OCD there are so many people who don't understand it, inclduing professionals. I don't see how going to a support group that isn't for OCD is going to help. People will probably start coming up with ideas on how to deal with it but ideas that probably aren't helpful and will probably just annoy the person. At least when you go to Aware you knwo they have training in depression and if they use Body Whys those workers have an understanding of eating disorders and what comes with it.

I'm prone to a bit of obsessive compulsive behaviour at times but not at the level of OCD. I hope you find a good support group to help out cookiemixer

Feeling very depressed lately,struggle to get out of bed most days,and finally plucked up the courage to go to my GP this afternoon,should not have even bothered,he admitted that he didnt know what to do with me and told me to come back in a few weeks if I'm still feeling bad.He earned his €45 with advice like that!

What the hell do I do now?felt that going to see him was my last option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Good God! What sort of a doctor is that? Just mark him down as a bad experience and perhaps make an appointment with another Doctor or look up the name of a Counsellor in your area and go and have a chat with them. GP's, in my opinion, are not qualified to deal with depression disorders anyway, they are just useful for a referral to a psychotherapist or a psychiatrist.
    Dont give up on getting some help just because of this bad experience. All doctors are NOT like that!:)

Hey 757unhappy, sorry to hear you're having a bad time. It's far from your last option. I agree 100% with Shazanne - if you can find a different GP to talk to about this things will start to get better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I can't stress enough how much I admire you people who manage to talk to doctors about how you feel. I hope some day I'll be able to but I can't see that ever happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement