Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

thomasj wrote: »
    Not overly convinced by both phones so will stick with my plain galaxy nexus.

If rumours are to be believed jelly bean will be the next update for the galaxy nexus.

How long will the s3 be waiting for that given the s2 ics farce?

I have gained too much of a hatred towards touchwiz, because of my galaxy tab plus don't want it again!

Hardware is a disappointment but the one x hasn't blown me over either so I think I will be getting the next nexus (announced as Samsung btw)

Really, where?

I'd have been betting on Motorola.

Sorry, I mistook that thought it was a Samsung statement but its industry sources

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120425PD205.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Have the nexusess's been released yearly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

thomasj wrote: »
    Sorry, I mistook that thought it was a Samsung statement but its industry sources

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120425PD205.html
    Cool, suffice to say the next speculation thread around here will be the Galaxy NEXUS 2 thread. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

They didn't hold back on what they thought.

• Advertisement

They didn't hold back on what they thought.

Synopsis for those of us studying for a 9am exam?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just caught the end of the Samsung discussion, they seemed very unimpressed and found it boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Chet T16 wrote: »
    AT&T one-x seems to be the one to go for (not just based on this), if i had one of the others i'd be asking some serious questions

AT&T uses different 3G bands so it really isnt.
    And no reason how except a different chipset that you wont recognise the different in everyday use.
    People really get too bogdowned in analysing benchmarks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

this is a goddamn nice phone at the end of the day. loving this s beam,
    bring on may 29th

any idea who will be carrying it here? vodafone uk have announced they will have it so im guessing they will have it here also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Mixed bag for me and most negative things I can forgive like plastic back looking like S1... but that screen has me bulling... I suppose I have to see it now in action before I make my mind up.

• Advertisement

kenyard wrote: »
    this is a goddamn nice phone at the end of the day. loving this s beam,
    bring on may 29th

any idea who will be carrying it here? vodafone uk have announced they will have it so im guessing they will have it here also

S -beam....isn't that like bump on iOS?

I'm expecting this phone to get negative reviews going by initial reactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

murpho999 wrote: »
    S -beam....isn't that like bump on iOS?

I'm expecting this phone to get negative reviews going by initial reactions.

No iOS has nothing like it.

AT&T one-x seems to be the one to go for (not just based on this), if i had one of the others i'd be asking some serious questions

AT&T uses different 3G bands so it really isnt.
    And no reason how except a different chipset that you wont recognise the different in everyday use.
    People really get too bogdowned in analysing benchmarks
    Except it's proving smoother and more power efficient. Things that you will notice everyday.

Inquitus wrote: »
    No iOS has nothing like it.

Seems like a similar idea to me and hardly a deal clincher.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seems like a similar idea to me and hardly a deal clincher.

no for sure apple has no NFC or S Beam type thing, you must be confusing it with S Cloud / iCloud or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Isnt the phone nearly the exact same size as the SG 2 though?
    Looks a lot bigger to me

Samsung_Galaxy_S3_28-580-90.JPG

€750 :eek:
    I'm amazed that Irish people still bother looking at play.com, slow delivery and "free delivery" charges hidden inside ridiculous euro conversion, amazon ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I'll need to hold/see it in the flesh, but I don't honk it looks great.
    I was expecting a spc increase and a sexy looking device.
    This just doesn't do it for me tbh ( by pictures)

The screen looks nicely bigger but the roundy corners make it look dated to me. Squared off is the way to go IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Well it was nice talking to you all, ive made up mind, ill be getting the gs3 I hope all you HTC reps have some success convincing people your phone is teh best if it makes you feel better and I hope all of you who are capable of making their own decisions get what they actually want themselves and not what a fanboi pushes down your throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

ShaneU wrote: »
    Looks a lot bigger to me

Samsung_Galaxy_S3_28-580-90.JPG

I'm amazed that Irish people still bother looking at play.com, slow delivery and "free delivery" charges hidden inside ridiculous euro conversion, amazon ftw.

It's 4.5mm wider than the sgs2. Not that much if you ask me.

fionny wrote: »
    Well it was nice talking to you all, ive made up mind, ill be getting the gs3 I hope all you HTC reps have some success convincing people your phone is teh best if it makes you feel better and I hope all of you who are capable of making their own decisions get what they actually want themselves and not what a fanboi pushes down your throat.

I agree, but I believe this thread should be more for the SGS3 and talking about it's specs and questions about this device. Comparing it to other devices is pointless as it's preference that gains peoples attention there.

anyone who has already bought a HTC One X and has no plans on changing, shouldn't really be commenting. This thread is meant for the SGS3 and those wishing to know more about it.

So really, anyone feeling they need to say their phone is better for this reason or that reason. You need to ask yourself why you need to defend your phone so much.

If it truly is better, than let everyone else come to that conclusion.

• Advertisement

I own neither, and have concluded the HTC One X is the better package, it has the better screen and the better camera. I have an upgrade next month and will be utilising it to buy the HTC. This thread is for people to compare and contrast the best phones available with the SGS3, not for Samsung fanbois to have a nerdgasm.

Edit: My current phone is a Samsung galaxy nexus for context.

Absolutely pathetic mentality fionny, but I can't say I'm surprised given your contributions on this thread.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I own neither, and have concluded the HTC One X is the better package, it has the better screen and the better camera. I have an upgrade next month and will be utilising it to buy the HTC. This thread is for people to compare and contrast the best phones available with the SGS3, not for Samsung fanbois to have a nerdgasm.

Edit: My current phone is a Samsung galaxy nexus for context.

Anyone that is interested in comparing the SGS3 with the HTC One X as let's face it that is the only device people are really comparing it too.

Should use this thread here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78495801

This thread is more for those having questions about this device and only this device. Bringing up arguments over which phone is better because of a or b is useless and makes no difference if you look at the facts.

Most of the arguments about which phone is better is by the people who have already decided which device to get or which device they already own. It does nothing for the thread but create pointless arguments.

This non sheep wold really like to hear your first impressions of your new device and an overall assessment of it if your willing.

Thanks!

Absolutely pathetic mentality fionny, but I can't say I'm surprised given your contributions on this thread.

Care to elaborate, because all i have posted is my own opinions the same as everyone else.

I'm clearly in the wrong for making my own decision on a product that suits me after owning HTC, Samsung and Apple phones in the past.

god's toy wrote: »
    This non sheep wold really like to hear your first impressions of your new device and an overall assessment of it if your willing.

Thanks!

I will whenever i can scrape together money for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

subway wrote: »
    The screen looks nicely bigger but the roundy corners make it look dated to me. Squared off is the way to go IMO

Not sure why exactly, but I agree, seems the more rounded the edges the more dated it looks? Seriously considering the Note now

Not sure why exactly, but I agree, seems the more rounded the edges the more dated it looks? Seriously considering the Note now

Possibly a cover might make it looks nicer, I do agree that the rounded edges seem weird. Might be better once we get one in a hands.

Now let's play the waiting game!

I can't wait until apple copy the Stay Awake feature in the GS3 and tout it as their own.

Its an awesome idea, really and truely has always been one of my pet hates with all the smartphones ive owned over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Can the people who like the GS3 stop labelling those of us disappointed as somehow HTC fanboys?

Have some consideration for those of us who don't want to buy a phone with a Pentile screen but who are also fundamentally opposed to buying a device with the Beats logo on it :(

I jave to say, this is what i wanted to buy.

Brian wrote: »
    Can the people who like the GS3 stop labelling those of us disappointed as somehow HTC fanboys?

Have some consideration for those of us who don't want to buy a phone with a Pentile screen but who are also fundamentally opposed to buying a device with the Beats logo on it :(

I dont have any problem with people who have this opinion, what i have a problem with is people who are consistently knocking people who like the Sammy phone.

Each to their own.

Brian wrote: »

I too have no issue with those who aren't interested in the GS3, I do have an issue with those who constantly argue the negatives of the GS3 and parade the positives on the HTC One X as if this is the place for it.

At the end of the day, everyone can make up their own mind.

This should be about the GS3 and not it's alternatives as that would be preferences and there is already a thread comparing the GS3 to the HTC One X if anyone has doubts about which to purchase.

I think this thread should be more for those who are interested in buying it.

also, when will the damn networks here announce there price plans. They always wait to see what network goes first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

meh, some decent updates from the S2, but I just cant ever see myself using a phone that size for daily use.

4 inch is really the sweet-spot for me, but it seems the main manufacturers are either abandoning and massively reducing production at that size... :( (I like the new Samsung Galaxy S Advance form factor but it will probably never have the quality ICS roms that the old Samsung Galaxy S has through XDA).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am a Samsung fan, using the Galaxy S2 currently but even I was underwhelmed by the phone. I mean yes the specs look good but I wasn't impressed by the look of the phone but it may look better if I see it in the flesh...

I am not entitled to an upgrade anyway so I can only look :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Personally I'm glad it isn't like that, to me that looks awful :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

draffodx wrote: »

Personally I'm glad it isn't like that, to me that looks awful :p

So have any networks announced it here yet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thor wrote: »
    anyone who has already bought a HTC One X and has no plans on changing, shouldn't really be commenting.

Absolute nonsense. So people who have a different phone can't comment on this thread? Can people only comment on phones they are thinking of buying?

It's an open discussion forum so I'll continue to comment thank you very much.

Commenting constructively is fine, trolling is different matter entirely which is what some people are doing.

People are ALWAYS going to have different opinions, last year it was the Sensation versus the GS2 this year the OneX vs the GS3 both have their merits and both have their flaws.

One thing I think people should stop getting hung up on is the the launcher such as touchwiz or sense... you can simply download any one the alternatives from google play and your sorted.

I use Apex Launcher on my phone at the moment and its great, very stock ICS but with some nice refinements and features... strongly recommended. (only works with ICS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Craigels wrote: »
    So have any networks announced it here yet

Three is the only one that I can see to have mentioned it

• Advertisement

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Three is the only one that I can see to have mentioned it

Meteor in a bizzare and quite stupid move seem to have delete all GS3 thread that were on their forums? :confused:

Meteor in a bizzare and quite stupid move seem to have delete all GS3 thread that were on their forums? :confused:

Yea I noticed that, it seems a bit strange!

Maybe they arent going to be stocking it from the start? Trying to make their customers forget about it?

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Yea I noticed that, it seems a bit strange!

Maybe they arent going to be stocking it from the start? Trying to make their customers forget about it?

Well if they dont then they will lose a customer. I hate moderation like that, im going to open a new thread there.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. So people who have a different phone can't comment on this thread? Can people only comment on phones they are thinking of buying?

It's an open discussion forum so I'll continue to comment thank you very much.

You misunderstood me. There is alot of people here commenting solely to re-affirm their purchase of the HTC One X and want to believe they made the right choice. This is pointless as it's pretty much all personal choices. This thread is about the GS3 and not the fact that people both the One X because it had this or that.

I mean, if you were to jump into any other thread about any other android device, you wouldn't see people trying to defend the HTC One X against it. They are doing it here simply because they feel they need too. I think enough posts have been wasted on this, So I'm not going to talk about it anymore either.

Everyone try to remember that everyone here can make up their own mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Thor wrote: »
    You misunderstood me. There is alot of people here commenting solely to re-affirm their purchase of the HTC One X and want to believe they made the right choice. This is pointless as it's pretty much all personal choices. This thread is about the GS3 and not the fact that people both the One X because it had this or that.
    I haven't seen a single person here trying to re-affirm their purchase. I for one was considering changing to the S3 up until yesterday. Seeing that it's still the same old Samsung Galaxy (I.e. Powerful hardware w/ questionable material choices and in this case screen choices) I lost interest in it.
    I mean, if you were to jump into any other thread about any other android device, you wouldn't see people trying to defend the HTC One X against it. They are doing it here simply because they feel they need too. I think enough posts have been wasted on this, So I'm not going to talk about it anymore either.

Everyone try to remember that everyone here can make up their own mind.
    They're two of the biggest phones this year. Naturally people will be discussing them relative to one another. In fact, most people on this thread have been discussing the S3 on its own merits. References to the One X haven't been as widespread as you perceive them to be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I have to be say I was a bit disappointed though I can't exactly say why. I mean the S3 seems like a great phone, maybe they just hyped it up too much and that raised expectations.

Or maybe the design was a bit underwhelming. All the flowery language about inspiration was a bit off putting for me as well.

In the end there is probably not a huge difference between the 2 phones, just comes down to personal preference and choice I think.

I can imagine a certain amount of relief from people who purchased the One X as they are not now in a position where a vastly superior phone has been released just 1 month later which is always a concern when buying a new phone these days it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Vodafone and Three are getting it on release. :)

Meteor are getting it too but havn't said when. :/

And o2 still dont know if they are going to be getting it :(

enviro wrote: »

Touchwiz is just soo fúcking ugly, why don't HTC and Samsung both release phones with a stock android or customised bloatware android choice?

Just disable the bloatware and pop a new launcher on and away you go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement