Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC ONE-X v Samsung Galaxy S3

Options
  • 04-05-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I couldn't make up my mind until I feel the size and weight of the SIII the One X is pretty light considering it's size. I think that's what it really boils down to between these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just like between Sensation and S2, I think its just gonna be battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

HTC One X v SGS3 non scientific gut feeling scores from before breakie :)

Camera -HTC 9/10 SGS3 6/10
    SOC (CPU+GPU) - HTC 7/10 SGS3 9/10
    Style - HTC 9/10 SGS3 6/10
    Micro SD Slot - HTC 0/1 SGS3 1/1
    Replaceable Battery - HTC 0/1 SGS3 1/1
    Battery Life - Have to see tests
    Screen - HTC 9/10 SGS3 8/10
    Sense v Touchwiz - Have to see what the new Sammy stuff is like to see if its as good as or better than improved sense.

Final Score - HTC 34 SGS3 31

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I think the camera on the sammy should get more marks as its a 'Back-side illuminated' type and with the photo software enhancements make it more beefed up a bit.
    I know people will point to the pentile vs lcd 2 display too and yes on paper it does look better for the HTC but i for one am not going to jump on anything until i get to see those screens myself. I don't know of any problems with the galaxy nexus display using the same screen running at those
    rsolutions.
    I think wireless charging and accessories help the sammy case too but that's not to suggest the HTC is anything but top of the heap right now and which ever one I end up getting I know I will be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Don't like the design of the S III at all, if it looked the same as the S II I'd have considered it more, think I'm going to go for One X.

S III features like calling when sending a text and their S Voice, while be good to show off once, don't think I'd use either to be honest.

And the whole eye recognition screen not turning off thing, surely while using any e-book app like kindle the screen doesn't time out, don't see the real life practicality of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Inquitus wrote: »
    HTC One X v SGS3 non scientific gut feeling scores from before breakie :)

SOC (CPU+GPU) - HTC 7/10 SGS3 9/10
    Style - HTC 9/10 SGS3 6/10
    Micro SD Slot - HTC 0/1 SGS3 1/1
    Replaceable Battery - HTC 0/1 SGS3 1/1
    Battery Life - Have to see tests
    Screen - HTC 9/10 SGS3 8/10
    Sense v Touchwiz - Have to see what the new Sammy stuff is like to see if its as good as or better than improved sense.

Final Score - HTC 34 SGS3 31

Just woundering whats the huge advantage for HTC's camera?

omega666 wrote: »
    Just woundering whats the huge advantage for HTC's camera?

Camera - HTC 9/10 SGS3 6/10

Its got a much better lense f2.0 v f2.6 and a dedicated picture processor. The lense is one of the keys to taking good pictures, 16mp and a **** lense will be worse than 5mp and a quality lense for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-vs-iphone-4s-htc-one-x-lumia-900/

initial comparison but some things may be incorrect such as the Sim in the GS3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Design: prefer the look of the One X, but I hate the reach to the top for the power button. Much prefer that Samsung have located it on the side, as well as having a physical home button.

Apparently, according to hands-ons previews, the SGS3 continues to have that Samsungy feel. The SGS2 never felt good to me, but crucially I trusted it's sturdiness to withstand a drop - unlike the terribly fragile iPhone 4, which felt great in the hand. The One X has gotten great reviews for it's feel, but I honestly don't get it. It feels far more solid than the SGS2, but nothing like the premium sensation you get from the fellow polycarbonate Nokia N9/lumia 800.

The screen: I've said it before but the One X's screen is a marvel, it's the best screen I've seen. It's looking like the SG3's screen is a slightly enlarged GN panel, which is great but slightly overblown in colour reproduction for my liking.

The camera: Seems good on the One X. The SG3 is a refinement on the SG2s, which was also good. Honestly, I've never put much weight into quality of camera phone snaps. Unless they're poor I don't pay much attention.

Expandable storage is a definite win for the SGS3. The 32gb should suit most on the One X though. It still pisses me off that Android has this whole partition BS still going on for storage and apps. It's one thing I miss about iOS.

TouchWiz vs Sense: They can both **** off. Sense 4.0 is better than 3.5, but still please stop skinning Android. I will say the reading thing is intriguing, voice commands I'd never use - with the possible exception of "snooze"- because I've never seen anyone using siri in public and not look like a complete knob.

Honestly, for me it comes down to the screen. I am really disappointed at what was unveiled yesterday, I expected Samsung to blow HTC out of the water. Had it the rumoured ceramic enclosure and a PLUS display I'd have held off for a hands on, but as it stands I'm going with the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Skerries wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-vs-iphone-4s-htc-one-x-lumia-900/

initial comparison but some things may be incorrect such as the Sim in the GS3

It's also worth noting that that's the peasant american version of the oneX in the comparison, poor yanks got screwed

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    It's also worth noting that that's the peasant american version of the oneX in the comparison, poor yanks got screwed

I wouldn't touch a Tegra 3 One X over a Krait model If I were a yank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I really really don't get how people rate this styling, it'd super bland!

HTC%20One%20X.jpg

SIII is still bland but it does styling touches like around the physical button

Samsung-galaxy-3-pebble-blue.png

The SGS2 never felt good to me, but crucially I trusted it's sturdiness to withstand a drop - unlike the terribly fragile iPhone 4, which felt great in the hand. The One X has gotten great reviews for it's feel, but I honestly don't get it. It feels far more solid than the SGS2, but nothing like the premium sensation you get from the fellow polycarbonate Nokia N9/lumia 800.

Yep do agree. I remember picking up the galaxy s 2 for the first time and I was thinking 'oh my god this feels horrible, it has to go in a case' ... and it did, and still is...
    Also remember picking up the galaxy s 1 I'm thinking 'this feels nice' it looks like they may have gone back to the 'feel' of it for whatever reason. Hell I still pick up my wife's s1 and think it feels better to me than anything i ever felt before (phone-wise of course :-) )

Expandable storage is a definite win for the SGS3. The 32gb should suit most on the One X though. It still pisses me off that Android has this whole partition BS still going on for storage and apps. It's one thing I miss about iOS.

This is a huge plus for me as i need as much as the phone can offer. And dropbox 50gb for free (for 2 years) blows my mind ... That and a replaceable battery (with a bigger capacity mind you) really tempt me back to samsung once more.

TouchWiz vs Sense: They can both **** off. Sense 4.0 is better than 3.5, but still please stop skinning Android. .

Hell i gave up on those a long time ago. Nova launcher does a very good job of hiding overlays you don't need/like
    and you could always Rom it anyway.

Honestly, for me it comes down to the screen. I am really disappointed at what was unveiled yesterday, I expected Samsung to blow HTC out of the water. Had it the rumoured ceramic enclosure and a PLUS display I'd have held off for a hands on, but as it stands I'm going with the X.

Yea here too. I mean its what won me over to samsung in the first place and the gs2 was a improvement for sure.

It sunk my battleship when i seen that it was a pentile display on the s3 but on a few sites i was reading are saying that the pixels in the s3 are layed out in a diffrent way to the GN, this could mean less of a visual impact of using pentile technology? Maybe they found a compromise to satisfy most people?
    For sure i need more info on this before i count the gs3 out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Styling: One X
    Physical buttons: S3 (power button on side and physical button is a huge win for me)
    OS: Would probably not use either stock Sense or Touchwiz - Something from XDA
    Overall size: Both probably too big for me (the weight of the One X is fine though)
    Random: Removable battery and expandable storage huge win for S3

Verdict: Doubt I will get either. High end phone in a 4 inch screen form factor please HTC, Samsung etc.

I think the S3 is only 3g heavier than the one-x.

If they could squeeze all the one-x goodies into an originaal desire i'd buy it in a second

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I really really don't get how people rate this styling, it'd super bland!

HTC%20One%20X.jpg

SIII is still bland but it does styling touches like around the physical button

Samsung-galaxy-3-pebble-blue.png

I don't care for the One X in grey or black, but it really pops in white. Hate the SGS2 in white, think it's quite nasty looking with the chrome. The white note look great as does the GN, but the photos of the white SGS3 looked really poor. There the pebble blue SGS3 looks well... cheap, there's nothing there that conveys it's status as the premium Samsung device.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The biggest draw for me is the 64gb internal storage. That was the reason I got an iPhone 4S - so I didn't have to carry a phone and an MP3 player.

Only worry is that we get stuck with the bog standard 16gb version over here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Despite my initial reservations about the design...the pebble blue GS3 is really starting to grow on me.

From what I can see, the main points of the device are:

- S-Voice.
    - S-Beam + NFC.
    - The fact that the screen stays on while you're looking at it and don't have to keep tapping.. that's annoying.
    - Twice the processing performance and 65% improved graphics.
    - Improved call quality.
    - Larger HD screen.
    - Much improved camera system.
    - Much larger battery.
    - Much better browser performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

theteal wrote: »

How so? What I read showed the yank version benchmarking higher with the battery lasting significantly longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

How so? What I read showed the yank version benchmarking higher with the battery lasting significantly longer.
    I think that's a tiny bit of an overstatement. In day to day use, there's very little noticeable difference between all three phones. The biggest difference i'd say would be the exclusive games available on the Tegra platform like Dark Meadow. Considering the game is more or less graphically equal to a PS3 game and runs perfectly fluid I think that in practice it will be difficult to say the Tegra 3 is anything but a great SoC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

This is turning into the Apple Vs Android.

I think the HTC one improved massively from what they previously had put out.
    While on the other hand the Galaxy S3 is at that level and improved on that again.

People seem to be disappointed because of the improvements the HTC produced and expected the same from Samsung.

I think the Galaxy S3 will be far in a way better overall with the added features and accessories that can be purchased. Really liked the look of the MP3 player.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I think the Galaxy S3 will be far in a way better overall with the added features and accessories that can be purchased. Really liked the look of the MP3 player.

An MP3 player that can only be synced with your phone, LOL talk about utterly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

With the mass storage the S3 offers why would you need it to sync with anything else?

god's toy wrote: »

Its a riposte to this

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/4/2998464/how-samsung-broke-my-heart

which ends
    At best, Samsung matched the HTC One X. At worst, it indulged in a two-month delay of an MWC-worthy device, stoked a frenzy of anticipation that was unjustified by the eventual product, and jeopardized the still fragile growth of its brand reputation among smartphone enthusiasts. I'll leave you to decide which extreme I'm gravitating toward.

Which I think sums up the SGS3 perfectly.

That sums up my feelings exactly. Far too much hype with far too little to warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

It was definitely overhyped, absolutely no doubt about that. I think Samsung may have thought a bit too much about how much people really care about things like S-voice or whatever that is, and all the other S-stuff.. Most people don't even use that stuff I'm convinced.

Then again, saying it only matches the One X isn't fair either. Okay, on first impressions the ONE X may feel nicer in the hand, on first impression, but people would have said exactly the same thing if they compared the Sensation and the S2. The 'light' feeling phone with the removable plastic cover is how Samsung did the S1 and S2, why wouldnt they do that with the S3. In other respects, the chip is more powerful, the battery life will 'probably' be better and the inclusion of the microSD slot is nice. In those respects it is better. In what area is it behind the ONE X? The camera isn't as good apparently, this is surely yet to be verified, and i'd expect the difference to be slight, at best. other than that though, there is effectively nothing the ONE X does better.

And another thing, I had a play with a ONE X in a meteor shop today, I'll be honest, I still far prefer AMOLED to SLCD, no doubt about that whatsoever. i also think the One X is far too big, so I obviously think the same about the S3. my favourite phone so far this year is the ONE S(First HTC with an AMOLED in since early Desire's too..), but the lack of microSD is really putting me off. In terms of size and feel though, its a gorgeous phone, super slim to boot.. its probably a toss up between that and the S2 for my next phone. I'm kinda waiting to see if Samsung release an updated S2 or something, I strongly expect they will.. Or last year, they released a little known phone called the Galaxy R. hopefully they will this time round too. I have big enough hands and i don't fancy the 4.7/4.8* phones. I suspect theres plenty more around like me in that respect..

Zonda999 wrote: »
    It was definitely overhyped, absolutely no doubt about that. I think Samsung may have thought a bit too much about how much people really care about things like S-voice or whatever that is, and all the other S-stuff.. Most people don't even use that stuff I'm convinced.

Then again, saying it only matches the One X isn't fair either. Okay, on first impressions the ONE X may feel nicer in the hand, on first impression, but people would have said exactly the same thing if they compared the Sensation and the S2. The 'light' feeling phone with the removable plastic cover is how Samsung did the S1 and S2, why wouldnt they do that with the S3. In other respects, the chip is more powerful, the battery life will 'probably' be better and the inclusion of the microSD slot is nice. In those respects it is better. In what area is it behind the ONE X? The camera isn't as good apparently, this is surely yet to be verified, and i'd expect the difference to be slight, at best. other than that though, there is effectively nothing the ONE X does better.

Better Screen, better Camera, better Design.

And Tegra 3 exclusives like Dark Meadow. The graphics in that came could even rival some PS3 games. Seeing as how that game runs fluidly on the Tegra 3 I don't think the difference in raw SoC power is that big of a deal.

• Advertisement

And Tegra 3 exclusives like Dark Meadow. The graphics in that came could even rival some PS3 games. Seeing as how that game runs fluidly on the Tegra 3 I don't think the difference in raw SoC power is that big of a deal.
    I think you mentioned that game once or twice before :p

Advertisement