Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business closures around the county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In Donegal Town, Donegal's Famous Chipper is closed. Leaseholder seems to be moving down to where Doolittles was opposite Magee factory.

Also, Harry's Diner, previously Abrakebabra is also closed.

What? Why? When? Was only there on Saturday evening and was considering a Taco this evening as well.

:mad:

Even though their menu was preety the same as Abras it was actually better tasting.

Anyone remember when it was Mr T's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

irish-stew wrote: »
    What? Why? When? Was only there on Saturday evening and was considering a Taco this evening as well.

Even though their menu was preety the same as Abras it was actually better tasting.

I remember when Mr Ts opened, I think it was back in 1984. It was a great hangout at night at the tables down the back.

I remember when Mr Ts opened, I think it was back in 1984. It was a great hangout at night at the tables down the back.

Slightly too soon for me, I only remember it during the 90's. But I do remember either ordering at either the back or front. Was a bit of an odd layout.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I sort of remember Mr. T's alright, with KTOK radio upstairs... ah the good ol' days of pirate radio (there was Glencoe radio for the fogies :))

I think the lease has expired for Harry's, the leaseholder there still has a place in Letterkenny and Derry (not called Harry's though). I've been told that Timony's next door will take on the premises, in fact, I think he owns it!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

byte wrote: »
    I sort of remember Mr. T's alright, with KTOK radio upstairs... ah the good ol' days of pirate radio (there was Glencoe radio for the fogies :))

I think the lease has expired for Harry's, the leaseholder there still has a place in Letterkenny and Derry (not called Harry's though). I've been told that Timony's next door will take on the premises, in fact, I think he owns it!

Remeber the Chicken that Mr.T used to make..It was the best..Also the milkshakes were da bomb!!

Timonys Owns the entire building..SO it would stand to sense that they would take over the running..

Duffys lease ran out, and Nuts is going down where Eat was..

Its mad the amount of unoccupied premises that there is in the town at the moment..

• Advertisement
    byte

I noticed today that where that artisan foodplace was below Timony's is now a second hand clothes shop.

LoanShark wrote: »
    Remeber the Chicken that Mr.T used to make..It was the best..Also the milkshakes were da bomb!!

Timonys Owns the entire building..SO it would stand to sense that they would take over the running..

Duffys lease ran out, and Nuts is going down where Eat was..

Its mad the amount of unoccupied premises that there is in the town at the moment..

Wheres Nuts and Eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Eat was where the old Doolittles was - across from the Magee's Factory & next to the Alzheimer's Society. Eat closed down awhile back & I guess Nuts (another chipper) is taking its place....can't imagine a chipper doing well there (it's much more a cafe kind of location) but hope it lasts longer than its predecessors.

Ayla wrote: »
    Eat was where the old Doolittles was - across from the Magee's Factory & next to the Alzheimer's Society. Eat closed down awhile back & I guess Nuts (another chipper) is taking its place....can't imagine a chipper doing well there (it's much more a cafe kind of location) but hope it lasts longer than its predecessors.

Around New Row? Wasn't Doolittles a sandwich shop/delivery place.

A chipper there might do well from local residents from evening trade, and the odd straggler on the way home after a few beers, but i'd say that might be about it.

Yep that's the place.

A cafe would be better (IMO) because there are a number of professional offices surrounding it & it's a good place to take clients/etc. But if a couple cafes didn't make it then maybe it's time for something new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Wheres Nuts and Eat?

nuts is declans nickname ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Westwood wrote: »
    What about all the pubs gone in recent times?

Village court and millbridge kilmacrenan
    North star carrigart
    Hideout bar letterkenny

im sure theirs loads of others?

I heard that the Ard Na Ri bar up in Killyclug has shut also,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I noticed a lot of new business opening in Letterkenny, around the main street area

Subway; Mamma Mia pizza; Olde Sweet Shop; a polish shop where Chartbusters was; a menswear shop is opening next to O'hehir's bakery; a new homeware shop is in the old Music Centre; a new Chinese resturant on the High Road; a ladieswear shop beside the 4 lights on port road

I drove down Main St of L'kenny last night/this morn at 1:15am - where was everyone? Friday night, and Milan/Sister Sara's/all the hotels....the entire town was dead! It was creepy really, no on one the streets even.

It's been awhile since I lived in town, but surely things haven't gotten that bad. Donegal Town was busier! Have these places closed down or was everyone saving up for a big night tonight?

byte

I was doing a small pub crawl around Donegal town last Friday night, and if it was busier, then Letterkenny must be very dead altogether. ie. NOBODY!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I drove down Main St of L'kenny last night/this morn at 1:15am - where was everyone? Friday night, and Milan/Sister Sara's/all the hotels....the entire town was dead! It was creepy really, no on one the streets even.

It's been awhile since I lived in town, but surely things haven't gotten that bad. Donegal Town was busier! Have these places closed down or was everyone saving up for a big night tonight?

Milan's been closed for a year or 2 and Friday nights are quiet all over people can't afford more than one night out a week so everyone goes out on Sat

byte

Dont' forget that Eat was Aroma for a while afterwards, run by the guys that have an Aroma named tea shop at the Craft Village.

After that, it was Mill Restaurant or something like that, though it didn't last long.

Honestly, I don't think there is enough business trade to keep it running, especially with Magee's running with much fewer staff, etc.

I find it strange that both Harry's and Duffy's (Nuts/Donegal's Famous Chipper) both closed before the festival weekend, though I guess that's just unfortunate timing of lease expiry. I note black sheets of plastic over the front of Duffy's now.

Anyway, I hope Declan and Nollaig do well in the new place, even though I do think it's a bit out of the way. On the upside, parking shouldn't be an issue in the evenings for takeaway collections, compared to on the Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

byte wrote: »
    I find it strange that both Harry's and Duffy's (Nuts/Donegal's Famous Chipper) both closed before the festival weekend, though I guess that's just unfortunate timing of lease expiry. I note black sheets of plastic over the front of Duffy's now.
    Was Duffy's across the road from the Church entrance? Remember we used to always stop in there on the way home from playing games with PCC in the late seventies. Think their father owned a chipper in Annagry called "Pat Hanna's". Those two and the Dolphin in LK were hard to beat, especially when Fr. Mick was buying:)

leedslad wrote: »
    Was Duffy's across the road from the Church entrance? Remember we used to always stop in there on the way home from playing games with PCC in the late seventies. Think their father owned a chipper in Annagry called "Pat Hanna's". Those two and the Dolphin in LK were hard to beat, especially when Fr. Mick was buying:)

Thats the same spot, the owner is from Annagry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Mr T's and down where The Four Lanterns is was the Southern Dixey in the 80's.

• Advertisement

Duffys / Donegal's Famous Chipper re-opening today under new management

byte

I heard it was reopening alright, didn't think it was so soon though.

Was down in Little Mac's yesterday evening, food was great, best of luck to Dec and Nollaig, good to finally have a proper chipper you can eat in, in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 George..

The petrol pumps/shop at the dry arch roundabout seems to be closed??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

George.. wrote: »
    The petrol pumps/shop at the dry arch roundabout seems to be closed??

Yep, were selling half price petrol on Wednesday.

Letterkenny post said the manager put in a bid at an auction for it, but it wasn't accepted. God knows the reasons. Sad to see it closing.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yep, were selling half price petrol on Wednesday.

Letterkenny post said the manager put in a bid at an auction for it, but it wasn't accepted. God knows the reasons. Sad to see it closing.

Seen this in the Donegal News/Derry People. Think Applegreen are taking it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jewson

Seen this in the Donegal News/Derry People. Think Applegreen are taking it over.

No Cllr. Ciaran Brogan bought it.

jewson wrote: »
    No Cllr. Ciaran Brogan bought it.

Has that been confirmed. I know the Applegreen takeover is also to be confirmed, but according to the Donegal News its understood to be them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

K-9 wrote: »

There wasn't an auction, or even a 'for sale' sign, which you would expect if you wanted to get the best price for a prime site like this. Previous owner had a lease on the property, which, like the rest of the Clanree complex, went into receivership. He made an offer but was told there was a higher offer, without having the chance to up his offer and had to leave as soon as his lease was up so the new owners could have vacant possession.

It is bad enough to see a business close because they can't get enough trade but why should a viable business have to shut and let workers go? Somebody other than God must know the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jewson

Has that been confirmed. I know the Applegreen takeover is also to be confirmed, but according to the Donegal News its understood to be them.

That is 100%.

Applegreen did not buy the shop across the road they are only leasing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Duffys / Donegal's Famous Chipper re-opening today under new management

Hopefully the new owners might be able to speed up the orders. I know they try and cook fresh but my god it can be very very slow.

Advertisement