Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hippy communes in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

seamus wrote: »
    My uncle lives in one, somewhere down in West Cork. They basically all live in mobile homes and live off the crops that they grow and the animals that they farm. They do of course also earn money through various (legitimate) means (you still have to pay for other stuff), but in the absence of any money coming in, they can all live quite happily on the food they've grown.

There is one on Coole mountain near Dunmanway in west cork, that's probably the one your uncle lives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Down in West Cork, we had English/Dutch/Dainish/German/Finnish (and Irish from the city) hippys , was interesting how the children all fecked off as soon as they could.

And changed their names from Moonbeam etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Sindri wrote: »
    Kildare.

Be more specific than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Used to be one in donegal, known locally as the screamers. I think they built their own boat and sailed to Columbia and have been there since. I think there were allegations of men being used as sexual objects by the female members of the commune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Big Steve wrote: »
    Be more specific than that.

Dunshane Camphill Communities.

• Advertisement

The Old Hippies are the real deal, but these Provisional Hippies, aka new-age travellers are bogus ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

ejmaztec wrote: »
    And changed their names from Moonbeam etc.....

Them names got ditched first day of secondary school

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The Old Hippies are the real deal, but these Provisional Hippies, aka new-age travellers are bogus ****.

Also real hippies travel in these Morris Travellers, and abduct young children

This be true because me ma said so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They all sold out to the man in the end, and became pillars of the community

*Pillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I knew a hippie back in the 80's called Shep he used to travel to market's and such selling leather belt's he had made.Before that he was squatting in an old abandoned cottage with an orchard that he maintained and used to sell or trade the apple's with the local's,this went on for year's and he was well liked by the local people.Then one faithful night he arrived into the village pub and proceeded to hand out magic mushroom's to all the ould fella's there and got everyone wasted.The next day he was given two day's to pack up and leave or the gardai would be informed,end of shep.This happened somewhere near cappoquin.
    I pissed my pant's when he told me this,best of all he felt hard done by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My German teacher was a hippie, fupping wierdo of the highest order. He and his family lived in a caravan, but he built a workshop the size of a small house in which to make pottery. When I think back he was a nutter, can't believe anyone saw fit to leave him near kids.

Them names got ditched first day of secondary school

The ones I knew didn't go to school, and were home-schooled under a tarpaulin by a bunch of hippies with PHDs:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seamus
    My uncle lives in one, somewhere down in West Cork. They basically all live in mobile homes and live off the crops that they grow and the animals that they farm. They do of course also earn money through various (legitimate) means (you still have to pay for other stuff), but in the absence of any money coming in, they can all live quite happily on the food they've grown.

There is one on Coole mountain near Dunmanway in west cork, that's probably the one your uncle lives on.

thebishop wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seamus

Whereas as the locals draw the dole, smoke the wacky backup and drink the white stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

plenty of hippies in east clare...Tuamgraney & Scariff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

alot of hippies in and around kinvarra, west clare and west cork and kerry.

Ireland was a popular spot back in the late 60's and 70's for european hippies, alot of them came over and stayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Galway is overrun with them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Nodin wrote: »
    ...Galway, apparently. Used be a shower on some Island in the 70's somewhere as well.

Shower + Hippies = Does not compute :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Parnell Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Theres an island of the coast of donegal that is one I think

I think you are referring to what was known as 'The Screamers', who were a cult that lived off the coast of Donegal from 1974 - 1988

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-screamers-131934.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I like hippies, well some of them.

I don't like the tree-huggers with all their righteous idealism and all that jazz, I like proper hippies who are in to Jimi, The Doors, free love, LSD and weed, you're Tommy Chong or The Dude type hippie as opposed to some animal rights group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

fryup wrote: »
    plenty of hippies in east clare...Tuamgraney & Scariff
    You trip over them if you take the back lane (road) between Woodford and Tuamgraney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I think you are referring to what was known as 'The Screamers', who were a cult that lived off the coast of Donegal from 1974 - 1988

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-screamers-131934.html

Yup, knew a lot of them....later came the Silver Sisters who offered a back to your childhood schooling experience, My mum dressed up in a pinafore and Mop Cap to make a documentary about them. Her and six or seven other bored females!! I was in the UK at the time....they were looper's but I would love to see that documentary again, BBC I think....Me Ma had a wicked sense of humour (and a fair few sherries:)) and really got into the whole thing skipping and reciting her times tables....one of my brother's swore he would disown her, but she went ahead and did it anyway!!! He caved;) God I miss her:(:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Are there any hippy communes in Ireland?

God Lord I do hope not bloody lefties with silly ideas wearing raggy clothes and afraid of a can of deodorant. Far to much to take on any day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Good short documentary here from an English lad about Cool Mountain in West Cork.

http://motherboard.vice.com/2011/12/18/the-mean-world-syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Quite a few around here, Galway/Clare border.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Plenty (undercover) in Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The whole of Kerry is a modern day equivalent of Jonestown
    meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    My German teacher was a hippie, fupping wierdo of the highest order. He and his family lived in a caravan, but he built a workshop the size of a small house in which to make pottery. When I think back he was a nutter, can't believe anyone saw fit to leave him near kids.
    German potterer = paedophile?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I love all the yeah.. over there somewhere in Clare. Other than that village, that looks more like a pyramid scheme :p are there communes still,
    I stayed in Clare around Scariff for a couple of summers and it was a little more free and everyone seemed to hitch hike but just met regular folk, who lived in their nice little houses who lived mainstream lives but wore funny jumpers and smelled of weed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

saa wrote: »
    I love all the yeah.. over there somewhere in Clare. Other than that village, that looks more like a pyramid scheme :p are there communes still,
    I stayed in Clare around Scariff for a couple of summers and it was a little more free and everyone seemed to hitch hike but just met regular folk, who lived in their nice little houses who lived mainstream lives but wore funny jumpers and smelled of weed.

Not just Scarriff, there are plenty around Flagmount, Loughattorick, Feakle etc. And quite a few in the Sliabh Anore's as well.

Advertisement