Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tunnel from Dublin to Holyhead

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

cgcsb wrote: »
    No, a single occupant car driving from Dublin to Cork produces multiples more carbon emissions than a single passenger on a train doing same journey.

They use a % of fossil fuels and a %renewables(and nuclear in some countries). Fossil fuels being burned in a power plant for energy is again many times more efficient than fossil fules that are burned for energy in a combustion engine.

What about it? It'd be quickly offset by the passengers that'd switch from air travel(the most carbon intensive form of transport)
    Source?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

corktina wrote: »
    You could save more CO2 by not drinking Coke in the first place!

In the same vain we could save emitting by not anything by stopping shipping anything anywhere.

Electric trains use fossil fuels too

They use a mix fossil fuels and renewables, and power plants and the grid is still far more efficient -- Google it if you want a source.
    ...and what about the carbon footprint of building the infrastructure?

Far less that that of building motorway networks, and the ongoing maintaince of rail is far, far less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

monument wrote: »
    In the same vain we could save emitting by not anything by stopping shipping anything anywhere.

not everything has CO2 added to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I think the only thing that can beat rail overland transport for economy are large canals with large barges (as on the Rhine)!

• Advertisement

Jim Martin wrote: »
    I think the only thing that can beat rail overland transport for economy are large canals with large barges (as on the Rhine)!

And for heavy cargo... Mag-lev...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No, a single occupant car driving from Dublin to Cork produces multiples more carbon emissions than a single passenger on a train doing same journey.

I can't believe a car with driver only uses more fuel, than a train with only a driver and passenger. Even if it was just a single carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They use a mix fossil fuels and renewables, and power plants and the grid is still far more efficient -- Google it if you want a source.
    Shouldn't the person asserting the fact be the one to prove it? Exactly what that figure would be is somewhat more tricky to answer in Ireland - though I reckon electrification would be the more beneficial towards reducing CO2 emissions.

In the context of building a huge and lengthy tunnel under the sea, the initial cost of carbon intensive resources would have to be noted if anyone wanted to compare with alternative solutions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

HS2 can get a passenger between London and Birmingham in 49 minutes. If a line between Birmingham and Hollyhead could be constructed and connections were well timed, that could be London-Dublin in 4 hours and arguably a nicer way to travel. Flying, including security queues and transferes to the city centre, means you couldn't really do the same journey by air in under 3:30 minutes(that's if you're fast). So yes I'd consider that to be competitive, the price is key though, especially since the UKs rail is privatised(and heavily subsidised, go figure).

4 hours is hopelessly optimistic. Try loading a full train of passengers on to a boat in any short period.

There is an airport in London city centre if you want to compare city to city times specifically. Rather a lot of passengers to the outlying airports are either going to somewhere closer to that airport or transferring to another flight out of the country anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Doesn't maglev use an inordinate amount of power/electricity compared with trad rail contact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

HS2 can get a passenger between London and Birmingham in 49 minutes. If a line between Birmingham and Hollyhead could be constructed and connections were well timed, that could be London-Dublin in 4 hours and arguably a nicer way to travel. Flying, including security queues and transferes to the city centre, means you couldn't really do the same journey by air in under 3:30 minutes(that's if you're fast). So yes I'd consider that to be competitive, the price is key though, especially since the UKs rail is privatised(and heavily subsidised, go figure).

I flew to Paris last year and took the Chunnel train back to London.
    The security process in Paris was almost as delaying and intrusive as the air travel experience.
    I'm not complaining, a terrorist setting off a bomb on a crowded train under 250 feet of water is hardly less devastating than blowing up an airliner.

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Doesn't maglev use an inordinate amount of power/electricity compared with trad rail contact?

It was half a joke... yes, but it is said to be offset by less power required to move forward, more.

Problem is the cost of the tech and the infra.

Shouldn't the person asserting the fact be the one to prove it?

To a point.

When it gets down to train powered by the effectiveness of a power plant and the grid vs a engine on of a car or truck, you really need to have some kind of basic level of understanding or have a good argument detailed.
    I can't believe a car with driver only uses more fuel, than a train with only a driver and passenger. Even if it was just a single carriage.

I've never seen any intercity train with such loads, never mind on the Cork-Dublin route.

And: Did we not mainly start talking about trucks vs trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've never seen any intercity train with such loads, never mind on the Cork-Dublin route.

I think Galway Limerick isn't far off it....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Source?

All well known facts. Easily googled. Also, the sky is blue.

Are you being obtuse or did you genuinely not understand what I meant?

Obviously not 1 passenger on an otherwise empty train, I was comparing one passenger on a train (with other people) to a single occupant car. Of course you knew what I meant.

I flew to Paris last year and took the Chunnel train back to London.
    The security process in Paris was almost as delaying and intrusive as the air travel experience.
    I'm not complaining, a terrorist setting off a bomb on a crowded train under 250 feet of water is hardly less devastating than blowing up an airliner.

The common travel area between Ireland and the UK would mean less of a delay. See rail services between schengen countries as an example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

FFS they can't even build a rail tunnel under Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think if they start the Dublin Underground, they will just keep going east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    FFS they can't even build a rail tunnel under Dublin.

I agree, the whole idea is a non starter.
    We'll have a nuclear power plant at the bottom of Eamon Ryan's back garden before this becomes feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

I think an Irish Sea Tunnel is, for us, what the Channel Tunnel was to the Victorians. Tantalising, but still not quite do-able.. yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

D.L.R. wrote: »
    I think an Irish Sea Tunnel is, for us, what the Channel Tunnel was to the Victorians. Tantalising, but still not quite do-able.. yet.

I could envisage it happening by 2275.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Any examples?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Any examples?

Well, the people of Birmingham aren't *that* heavy, but there has been a Maglev relatively nearby to here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirRail_Link#Maglev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭xper

L1011 wrote: »
    Well, the people of Birmingham aren't *that* heavy, but there has been a Maglev relatively nearby to here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirRail_Link#Maglev
    Whatever about the kudos of being a world's first, a 600m people mover that lasted 11 years before being closed as uneconomic is hardly a poster child for maglev.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I wonder where the £15bn figure comes from. Perhaps some prefabricate tubular structure sunk to the bottom of the sea bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

I journeyed to and from the Netherlands by train last week and it was noticeable how the quality of service deteriorated the closer I got to Ireland. The Thalys and Eurostar trains I took from Rotterdam, via Brussels to St Pancras were top class.

However, the classic inter-city line from Euston to Chester was riddled with points problems and beyond Chester, the regional line to Holyhead stopped at every hole in the hedge.

I can see why Wales would want to develop a tunnel across to Ireland, as it would give them the potential to plug into HS2, which currently passes it by. It might also appeal to Liverpool which is not set to be an HS2 hub as things stand.

A Dublin-Liverpool line via North Wales could both plug Ireland into the European high speed network and give it a direct connection to the Liverpool-Manchester-Leeds-Sheffield conurbations.

Whilst the cost (even with UK input) may be prohibitive, I think it is at least worth exploring whilst the UK's future transport plans are still very much up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭xper

£15 billion is a huge whack of money, despite what Prof Cole says. More importantly, would the return on investment justify the project? HS2 will serve a much bigger population than a Dublin-Hollyhead-Liverpool branch from HS2.

Key sentence from that report for me is...
    "The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT) Cymru Wales thinks the tunnel could be ready by the end of the century."

Probably a realistic timeline. The state and cost of the construction and transport technology in the latter half of this century would probably determine whether this undertaking would be feasible and that's very hard to predict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Where would a tunnel go to and from ?
    Obviously the shortest crossing would be from the north to Scotland but that's a long way from London (or even Manchester/Liverpool ) mightn't be the end of the world for rail/freight though .
    Rosslare to pembrook is shorter distance, and closer to the south east of uk/ and their ports...no idea how good/congested the rail system is in South Wales ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement