Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm glad that the store is opening again but ill hold off saying its good as golden discs have never been a music store that I ever liked or had that good of a selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

theglobe wrote: »
    wow shocked at that. Anyone know when its opening?

Think it will be opening quite soon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Article i read last week indicated they were hoping to open this friday/saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

friday according to the Echo today. walked passed it earlier and they were putting stock on the shelves in preparation.

I used to work for them, so always have a soft spot due to old work colleagues etc. I wish them the very best! glad something is going into that building, it was depressing to look at when empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i for one am really looking forward to havng a look around in there, im interested to know will it just be the ground floor or will they keep the upstairs open too.

• Advertisement

On Friday (28th June) at 9am, Golden Discs will open the doors to its new
    flagship store in the iconic 5,000 square foot building on Patrick Street, Cork
    with an official launch event following at 12 noon.

From GD facebook page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Upstairs appears to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's the exact same shelving set up pretty much, except where the counter is now against the wall.

Although it's good to have something like that there, it seems soulless or something, can't put my finger on it, I think it's the upstairs now being closed. You kind of always had a second option if there wasn't anything that interested you downstairs, now it's just back out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Upstairs appears to be closed.

im hoping they'll open it up during the big sales like after christmas, makes sense because they could set everything up while its closed and only open it on sale days,

or maybe its an accessibility issue, how do you get customers in wheelchairs upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

hoodwinked wrote: »
    or maybe its an accessibility issue, how do you get customers in wheelchairs upstairs?

How do you get them in the front door and up those steps in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

evilivor wrote: »
    How do you get them in the front door and up those steps in the first place?

using the lift installed inside the door.

I spoke to the staff in there this morning - the're hoping to open upstairs soon
    but it'll stay closed for now. it was nice to see the place open again - I hope it does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I'm very disappointed with the music selection in there thus far, there's no dedicated genre sections, just a wall of chart music and some oldies/Irish stuff.

In HMV it was nice to be able to pick up relatively left-field stuff, be it jazz/metal/dance or whatever, in a bricks and mortar shop without having to resort to ordering it online.

The DVD selection has no dedicated World Cinema section either.

Hopefully if/when the upstairs opens they may branch out a bit.

Yeah, I'd have to say the same. I walked in and it was just like, eh this is just a really large Golden Discs with nothing really amazingly different to offer.

They won't do well if they don't have a quirkier stock. Chart music is bought online.
    Music stores have to offer an alternative to iTunes, Spotify and Google Play store.
    I wish them luck and hope they do well, but I really think they need to have a somewhat edgier stock of CDs and definitely need the genres back.

I'd say the way forward would be things like :

Open a space for small, exclusive, in-store ticket-only gigs.
    If you purchase say €50 of goods on the clubcard every 6 months - you get a right to register for these.

Bring in some indie movie collections, have people in to discuss new releases - e.g. if a new Irish movie comes out, bring the director in for a chat to your ticket-only crowd.

There's loads of stuff you could do with a music store to make it work, other than just stacking CDs on racks.

You have to make it an experience, a lifestyle and more than just a source of discs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im in my 30s and Golden Discs has been around a long time, they have always been rubbish and never changed with the times, every store is just 'general music' listed A to Z, no categories, crap listings, mostly chart music, some irish music and country.... forget about anything obscure or entire discographys of bands..... we did not realise how lucky we were when HMV and Virgin were about. Theres a new Golden Discs opened up in Blanchardstowns and it's the same, really bad selection. Ive a more interesting playlist on m iTunes than what they sell in there..... seriously cannot wait for HMV to open back up....

The problem though is that extensive catalogs are actually really expensive to build up. That's why the likes of HMV and Virgin Megastores had wonderful collections of music, they're huge organisations (or they were at their peak). Stock that wasn't selling in some shopping centre outlet could be moved to a major store like Grafton Street or Patrick's Street and Irish stores probably had access to UK stock too so all that stuff was moved around as needed.

There are very few companies can do that on that scale anymore.

Most of those companies have completely transformed though. In France for example, FNAC which is their equivalent of HMV, has kind of morphed into a huge electronics and digital lifestyle store and spends a lot more time on obscure music and vast selections of DVDs than it does on chart stuff and that seems to have saved them from going under. It also stocks a lot of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I went in Fri lunchtime purely to support them and bought a couple of CDs (so I'm an old fashioned girl). I thought the staff really friendly and helpful and the atmosphere relaxed. Give it a chance it's just opened - I suppose if they don't stock what you want you can ask them to order it? I mean HMV was fantastic but sometimes I had to request they ordered CDs or DVDs for me also - so big shop vs little shop - there's always something that you'll want that they won't have :) I'm just so happy that the store is opened. In the 80s I bought all my vinyl from Golden Discs (2 on Patrick Street at the time) and I used to get discounts. Hopefully they will introduce something like a loyalty card to keep us customers coming through the doors vs. ordering on-line. Best of luck to all concerned! J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Well they finally opened the upstairs and its just full of 2 for 12euro DVDs.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Well they finally opened the upstairs and its just full of 2 for 12euro DVDs.

Is HMV opened in Cork again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Talking about the Golden discs Patrick St. store.

HMV as it was doesn't exist any more. Xtra Vision bought the brand and use it in their blackpool branch and a couple of others I think.

A shop like the old HMV will never exist again, it's economically nonviable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

HMV as it was doesn't exist any more. Xtra Vision bought the brand and use it in their blackpool branch and a couple of others I think.

HMV still exit in Dublin on Henry St, Grafton street and other locations. They also have, as you mentioned, concessions in xtra vision stores - Xtra vision didn't buy the brand.

evilivor wrote: »
    HMV still exit in Dublin on Henry St, Grafton street and other locations. They also have, as you mentioned, concessions in xtra vision stores - Xtra vision didn't buy the brand.

partly true. The owners who bought the failing xtra vision had also bought the failing hmv brand in the uk & Ireland. combining both here.

The HMV in grafton and henry st arent much like the older HMV stores. much less focus on catalogue and more on sell thru sale stock.

HMV reopened in Dublin, Galway and Limerick so why not Cork?

HMV reopened in Dublin, Galway and Limerick so why not Cork?

there were rumours months ago that they were looking at the old A Wear unit, never happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

there were rumours months ago that they were looking at the old A Wear unit, never happened though.

Shame, haven't had great experiences with Patrick's St Golden Discs (DVD multi-season boxsets with skipping discs -discovered weeks later when you're a couple of seasons in, DVD/CDs with broken retaining clips). Kind of thing that never happened to me with HMV.

Been in the HMV Lite in the Xtravision in Clonmel a good few times and with half the shop size of Patrick's St they still have a better variety of CDs/DVDs/games. Golden Discs games offering is pathetic.

Advertisement