Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV

Options
  • 09-02-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Is it opened or closed in Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

jarri wrote: »
    Is it opened or closed in Cork?
    Well closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 350125GO!

I hope the Pav expand into the current HMV building and turn it into a huge super-pub/cafe/gig venue.

I have fond memories of HMV. Going in as a teenager and scanning all the cd's one by one. That familiar sound of... click click click click click click click vloop click click click click click click click vloop click click click click click click click vloop.... as you go through each cd by moving it forward to see the one behind it the flicking the whole pile back and stating again at the next pile.

Sadly that world is now firmly in the past.

350125GO! wrote: »

No it's not.
    Go to Plugged records and flick through CDs to your hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

350125GO! wrote: »

+ Charity shops; Cd's at a much fairer price.

I do my cd shopping form the likes of Zoverstocks on Amazon, £1.81 inc delivery.

A lot of the cd's I've bought that they consider to be in used condition have had cases in better shape than ones I bought new from HMV over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

No it's not.

There was alot more to HMV than just music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Hogzy wrote: »

which is why I, as a music lover hated HMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

which is why I, as a music lover hated HMV.

lol. Too cool eh?:rolleyes:

Hogzy wrote: »

The person I was replying to was lamenting the act of flicking through racks of CDs, not HMV generally.
    HMV were rubbish for music anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

300 staff at HMV Ireland to lose jobs

The receiver to HMV Ireland has confirmed that 300 staff will be made redundant and 16 stores will remain closed.

David Carson of Deloitte said all stores were loss making and it was not possible to attract a buyer.

The staff had been temporarily laid-off when the company went into receivership last month.

Competition from web-based retailers and digital downloads, compounded by other factors including high rents, were blamed for the company’s financial difficulties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

evilivor wrote: »
    300 staff at HMV Ireland to lose jobs

The receiver to HMV Ireland has confirmed that 300 staff will be made redundant and 16 stores will remain closed.

David Carson of Deloitte said all stores were loss making and it was not possible to attract a buyer.

The staff had been temporarily laid-off when the company went into receivership last month.

Competition from web-based retailers and digital downloads, compounded by other factors including high rents, were blamed for the company’s financial difficulties.

Friends of mine who worked there find this stuff out via the papers. No official word from anyone. It's shocking how people are treated

• Advertisement

Splainc wrote: »
    Friends of mine who worked there find this stuff out via the papers. No official word from anyone. It's shocking how people are treated

The announcement was only made this afternoon - statutory redundandancy only.

No it's not.

Best place in the city. Great record store that puts on gigs. Amazing cafe called Gulpd downstairs that also has an alcohol license. Indie cinema in the refurbished church. Incredible how many folks dont know it exists

evilivor wrote: »

The announcement was only made this afternoon - statutory redundandancy only.

The announcement was made to the papers and not to the staff. The public find out before they do with no details on what they are supposed to do. Same as when they closed the stores. It's just how these horrible places care so little for people and we have a government fighting to bring more of them in

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kittytwister

Staff at HMV were always pleasant and helpful in my opinion . Wondering will there be a fire sale of the stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Staff at HMV were always pleasant and helpful in my opinion . Wondering will there be a fire sale of the stock.

I reckon it would go back to the supplier for credit, actually the stock might have been on credit to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

I too found the staff at HMV very helpful and interested in what they did. For all the people slagging off HMV as a music store, I suggest you try Golden Discs or Tesco as an alternative. I think the closure of HMV in Cork is a disaster for the city.

Dan Dare wrote: »
    I too found the staff at HMV very helpful and interested in what they did. For all the people slagging off HMV as a music store, I suggest you try Golden Discs or Tesco as an alternative. I think the closure of HMV in Cork is a disaster for the city.

For the sake of clarity : I was slagging off HMV as a music store, not the staff who I, too, found to be pleasant and helpful. The fact that Golden Discs is/was worse is saying little. Tesco is a supermarket not a music shop.

I have huge sympathy for the staff who as usual, in these circumstances, were treated awfully by being kept in the dark until the public announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I have to plug Plug'd, really the only place in town for ceol, and what an amazing selection it has. Whatever kind of music you're into, they'll more than likely have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

I have to plug Plug'd, really the only place in town for ceol, and what an amazing selection it has. Whatever kind of music you're into, they'll more than likely have it.
    Is plug'd the record shop in Triskel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

That's the one

• Advertisement

Is plug'd the record shop in Triskel?
    Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Are Golden Discs moving into the HMV store?

Passed there today and they were doing it up inside and some Golden Discs rectangular posters were lying on the floor inside.

Corholio wrote: »
    Are Golden Discs moving into the HMV store?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

O god

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Steoob wrote: »
    O god

fingers crossed they retain the HMV crew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Nice to see something going in there instead of another empty building at that end. Arent they an irish company? hope it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

wow shocked at that. Anyone know when its opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

wow shocked at that. Anyone know when its opening?
    Would love to know this too shocked at how there doesnt even seem to be 1 news article about this and shocked at how goldendiscs can afford such a big shop though If its like there Mahon store it could be good

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Would love to know this too shocked at how there doesnt even seem to be 1 news article about this and shocked at how goldendiscs can afford such a big shop though If its like there Mahon store it could be good

gd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

thanks for the article I do hope it has as good a selection as the Mahon store. Still don't see how they can afford the rent but at least we should have a decent media store in the city now :) the one in Merchants Quay is rubbish

Advertisement