Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

farmerjj wrote: »
    Whats so great about starbucks? Just another coffee shop I think

They have eggnog lattes. 600kcal of christmassy goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

farmerjj wrote: »
    Whats so great about starbucks? Just another coffee shop I think
    no, its another coffee shop that charges double the price for writing your name wrongly on a paper cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

no, its another coffee shop that charges double the price for writing your name wrongly on a paper cup.

Not much complaining when a new costa or gloria jeans opens up. People like to shop around, starbucks is a big name. Let them be happy that one is coming. For most people who dont live near a starbucks (or any big chain like McDonalds) its often one of their port of calls when visiting somewhere that does have one (bigger towns, airports, cities etc). Stop moaning. New jobs, another vacant spot filled. All round good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Their coffee is overrated but I do love their Chai Tea Lattes :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭peteroregan

On a totally different note. Please advise me on somewhere to get a good coffee today, not in the city centre please, somewhere along the lines of filter in the city or montys in midelton.
    I wanted to go there but they're not answering their phone so I'm guessing they're closed on Sundays.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

a friend of mine used to lift the mugs out of starbucks years ago. his rationale was he was paying enough for the cofee. his cubboard was full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

I just saw on their sign that the Toy Soldier Factory (Prince August), in Kilnamartra, off the Cork-Killarney road, serve Starbucks coffee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

kaerobe wrote: »
    Not much complaining when a new costa or gloria jeans opens up. People like to shop around, starbucks is a big name. Let them be happy that one is coming. For most people who dont live near a starbucks (or any big chain like McDonalds) its often one of their port of calls when visiting somewhere that does have one (bigger towns, airports, cities etc). Stop moaning. New jobs, another vacant spot filled. All round good news.

And little or no tax paid to this or any state. Starbucks are notorious on this front. Moan away. Encouraging such tax bums is shortsighted,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

feargale wrote: »
    And little or no tax paid to this or any state. Starbucks are notorious on this front. Moan away. Encouraging such tax bums is shortsighted,

The employees are paying PAYE, USC, PRSI instead of claiming the dole though.

Corporation tax here is a token pittance, with plenty of ways of avoiding it. That's kinda the point, to bring employers in, and then have the employees pay boatloads of tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »
    The employees are paying PAYE, USC, PRSI instead of claiming the dole though.

Corporation tax here is a token pittance, with plenty of ways of avoiding it. That's kinda the point, to bring employers in, and then have the employees pay boatloads of tax.

A fair point if the business wouldn't exist without the multinational company being there.
    A good example of this would be Apple - they're not taking business from local computer manufacturers.
    The likes of Starbucks don't really create new business - they compete for existing business.
    Yes, their staff will pay local taxes and they will generate VAT - just like a local company.
    But the local company's profits will remain in the county - adding to local business and paying correct corporation tax.

I'm not saying foreign companies shouldn't be allowed to set up here but wherever a local company can provide a similar product - it is always favourable for the local economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know what you mean, but there seems to be no end to the amount of coffee people will drink! Are coffee shops closing around here because a starbucks opened? Are we in the plot of that Meg Ryan film "You've got Mail"?

I read an article years ago about the differences in business thinking between east and west... something along the lines of if an eastern business person sees a shoe shop doing well on a street, he'll open a shoe shop on the same street, because there's obviously a market, and if they can do well, why not me. Whereas western business people tend to think more along the lines of... that demand is being taken care of with that shop, so I need to open something different entirely.

Existing coffee business is not finite, it seems to be growing. The more the merrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

pwurple wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but there seems to be no end to the amount of coffee people will drink! Are coffee shops closing around here because a starbucks opened? Are we in the plot of that Meg Ryan film "You've got Mail"?

I read an article years ago about the differences in business thinking between east and west... something along the lines of if an eastern business person sees a shoe shop doing well on a street, he'll open a shoe shop on the same street, because there's obviously a market, and if they can do well, why not me. Whereas western business people tend to think more along the lines of... that demand is being taken care of with that shop, so I need to open something different entirely.

Existing coffee business is not finite, it seems to be growing. The more the merrier!

In the case of Starbucks, they have a reputation - whether deserved or not - of deliberately saturating the market in order to crowd out the existing cafes, then shutting down the extra stores once the competition is gone.

Personally I don't large chains and prefer smaller, more diverse and locally owned stores; but I guess variety is good.

who_me wrote: »
    In the case of Starbucks, they have a reputation - whether deserved or not - of deliberately saturating the market in order to crowd out the existing cafes, then shutting down the extra stores once the competition is gone.

Personally I don't large chains and prefer smaller, more diverse and locally owned stores; but I guess variety is good.

I get that point, but how many Costas (MQ, Douglas, Blackpool, Opera House) or Gloria Jeans (Savoy, Douglas, Patricks St) are there in Cork City? People complain when we currently have 1 Starbucks? No one complains when these other MASSIVE companies open another branch. Cork has lots of great coffee places, like ORSO, Roasters, The Bookshelf. Starbucks is just another place to go when the urge calls. Its not for everyone but it adds to choice. More jobs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

The starbucks in mahon is extremely handy if you're meeting someone after 6 o'clock, with it being open till 10pm everyday. And once you don't get the frappaccino's and all those other sugary drinks with coffee, the coffee isnt that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

kaerobe wrote: »
    I get that point, but how many Costas (MQ, Douglas, Blackpool, Opera House) or Gloria Jeans (Savoy, Douglas, Patricks St) are there in Cork City? People complain when we currently have 1 Starbucks? No one complains when these other MASSIVE companies open another branch. Cork has lots of great coffee places, like ORSO, Roasters, The Bookshelf. Starbucks is just another place to go when the urge calls. Its not for everyone but it adds to choice. More jobs too.

Couldn't agree more - it's all about choice, my personal choice is that I actually prefer Starbucks because I like their coffee and that's my own personal opinion. Tesco sell umpteen brands of instant coffee because people have a personal preference between brands.

If a new clothing store opens in Mahon, I don't see people complaining, quite the opposite, so why are people up in arms about a new coffee shop ?

As for the tax hoo haa, it provides jobs & I wouldn't mind betting that many of those who complain about tax evasion are viewing on Apple products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

calnand wrote: »
    The starbucks in mahon is extremely handy if you're meeting someone after 6 o'clock, with it being open till 10pm everyday. And once you don't get the frappaccino's and all those other sugary drinks with coffee, the coffee isnt that bad.

you can spot all the 1st dates in there too :)
    a one in patricks st/ grande parade would make a fortune.... as for those complaining about starbucks, how many of the existing coffee shops in town stay open late

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Andip wrote: »
    If a new clothing store opens in Mahon, I don't see people complaining, quite the opposite, so why are people up in arms about a new coffee shop ?

It's not anti coffee shops. It's just that it's trendy for a lot of people to be anti-capitalism which is why Starbucks, McDonalds and the usual suspects get the backlash. 50 other individual coffee shops could open and they probably wouldn't warrant a mention here on Boards.

If KFC or McDonalds want to open, everyone goes mad about citing obesity concerns but if Johnny O'Brien wants to open an independent chipper or bakery selling far more calorific food, no-one bats an eyelid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Couldn't agree more - it's all about choice, my personal choice is that I actually prefer Starbucks because I like their coffee and that's my own personal opinion. Tesco sell umpteen brands of instant coffee because people have a personal preference between brands.

As for the tax hoo haa, it provides jobs & I wouldn't mind betting that many of those who complain about tax evasion are viewing on Apple products

In Starbucks case, they are pretty infamous for their use of 'zero hour contracts'. Employees only get a minimum number of hours week with no benefits or sick pay holiday pay etc. Also a majority of the workers will be doing no more than 15 to 20 hours at minimum wage, which means they will pay no income tax and also claim SW allowance for days they aren't working. So the argument that taxes paid by workers negates the lack of corporation tax doesn't really hold water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

They're open in Mahon Point now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JohnK wrote: »
    They're open in Mahon Point now

In the SC or Retail Park?

I doubt it's the shopping centre, was only there Sunday and everything was still in boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

In the shopping centre, where BB's used to be by the entrance to Tescos.

329676.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I doubt it's the shopping centre, was only there Sunday and everything was still in boxes.

Starbucks in Mahon Point was open today, interesting to see if BB's gets less busy. Last few times I've tried to get a table at BB's since they been down to the one outlet I've given up and gone to the other coffee shop downstairs.

Ok that has to be the fastest fit out of a shop in have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ok that has to be the fastest fit out of a shop in have ever seen.

very little to do really, the plumbing etc would already have been in place, just throw up some partitions etc. A days work...boss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Starbucks in Mahon Point was open today, interesting to see if BB's gets less busy. Last few times I've tried to get a table at BB's since they been down to the one outlet I've given up and gone to the other coffee shop downstairs.

It's good for the place, the quality of the coffee in the shopping centre was poor apart from the smoothie place which serves Cork Coffee Roasters coffee.
    Places like BBs and O'Brien's could do with a kick up the arse anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

It's good for the place, the quality of the coffee in the shopping centre was poor apart from the smoothie place which serves Cork Coffee Roasters coffee.
    Places like BBs and O'Brien's could do with a kick up the arse anyway.

Very true, it was getting to the stage that the smoothie place and the bagel factory were the best coffees in the whole centre.
    I actually don't know how people can describe BB's beverages as coffee it is absolutely putrid and their muffins taste like baking soda.
    Might take a spin up later for venti white chocolate mocha, extra hot, extra shot no whip and a cinnamon swirl!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

In Starbucks case, they are pretty infamous for their use of 'zero hour contracts'. Employees only get a minimum number of hours week with no benefits or sick pay holiday pay etc. Also a majority of the workers will be doing no more than 15 to 20 hours at minimum wage, which means they will pay no income tax and also claim SW allowance for days they aren't working. So the argument that taxes paid by workers negates the lack of corporation tax doesn't really hold water.
    In reality zero hours contracts do not happen as you have to be paid for a minimum of 15 hours per week. So the law in Ireland does not allow for zero hours contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

rebs23 wrote: »
    In reality zero hours contracts do not happen as you have to be paid for a minimum of 15 hours per week. So the law in Ireland does not allow for zero hours contracts.

I'm afraid you are very much incorrect there. There is no obligation on an employer in Ireland to pay you for a minimum of 15 hours or indeed any amount of hours per week.

Zero hour contracts are actually common in lower paid jobs in Ireland, you are just out of touch.

Advertisement