Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA testing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Furet

My dad is 88% Brithish Isles, 12% Western European, and this is based on the FAMILY FINDER only which is Autosomal, no Y testing has been done yet, his half brother who he shares his mother with has a more varied make up posted in my last message of
    92% British Isles
    6% Eastern European
    3% Western & Central European

So it does pick different bits, but it's always being said too that this particular part of DNA testing isn't 100% accurate

I personally don't look at the Origins part I look at the matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

I placed an order on FTDNA for the Family Finder and Y67 products. If I am impressed by the knowledge gleaned, I'll upgrade to Y111 and the M tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Wonder why they can't distinguish between Britain and Ireland. I'd be surprised if the genotype was *that* similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

AncestryDNA (who are based in Dublin) gave me a free DNA sample back when they launched. They had a sample population for Ireland so it was quite distinct from FTDNA (myorigins) -- note this is purely an Autosomnal test, it doesn't look at Y-DNA or mtDNA

ancestrydna.png

In case of FTDNA they are probably using Orcadian sample (eg. from Orkney) for their reference for insular populations, this results in following:

ftdna-myorigins.png

The AncestryDNA "Irish" component is probably more reflective of a Insular Northwestern component than specifically Irish, it shows high levels in Wales and Scotland for example. Mike Mulligan who works for Ancestry in Ireland did following blog post:

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2015/03/16/what-does-our-dna-tell-us-about-being-irish/

Furet,

With regards to DNA testing and FTDNA it depends on what your interst is, the "Comprehensive" product will give you results from three testing arena's (eg. Male lineage on Y, mtDNA lineage (female) and Autosomnal -- eg bit gets mix up each generation). However even after spending that amount of money you might end up spending more over time (say if you want to get more in dept testing on your Y-Chromosome lineage)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

dubhthach wrote: »
    Furet,

With regards to DNA testing and FTDNA it depends on what your interst is, the "Comprehensive" product will give you results from three testing arena's (eg. Male lineage on Y, mtDNA lineage (female) and Autosomnal -- eg bit gets mix up each generation). However even after spending that amount of money you might end up spending more over time (say if you want to get more in dept testing on your Y-Chromosome lineage)

What would be the difference in the detail revealed by a Y67 test versus more advanced Y DNA tests?

FURET wrote: »
    What would be the difference in the detail revealed by a Y67 test versus more advanced Y DNA tests?

It's all very complicated, ye'd need a couple pints to explain all this ;)

However video might help

At basic level with STR's (37,67,111) you get increased resolution when it comes to matches in FTDNA database (think of it like, 480p, 1080p, 4k), often you will have matches at 37 markers who are not matches at higher levels, this is due to lower resolution match been "false positive"

By default with STR's they only predict your wider Haplogroup, for most Irish men you end up been predicted as R1b-M269 -- which is basically useless as a haplogroup as all western European R1b is basically M269+

What 67 STR's testing often allows though is to look at matches who've done more testing, so for example if you have matches at 67 STR's who are R1b-M222 than more likely you would be R1b-M222+, obviously there are tests that look specifically at haplogroups.

I'm probably going into way too much detail :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wonder why they can't distinguish between Britain and Ireland. I'd be surprised if the genotype was *that* similar.

In general the closer the countries are geographically, the closer they are genetically. Eastern British people tend to pull a bit towards the North Sea Region.

Interesting piece about Irish DNA - the Elizabethan English were right; they insisted we were Scythians - the Annalists were right; they said we were Tuatha De Danaan, Firbolg, Milesians, etc

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35179269

Interesting piece about Irish DNA - the Elizabethan English were right; they insisted we were Scythians - the Annalists were right; they said we were Tuatha De Danaan, Firbolg, Milesians, etc

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35179269

Not really the people of Steppe (Yamnaya) weren't Scythians, Scythians are an Iranic speaking group from 2,000+ years later

The Yamnaya were probably Proto-IE speakers in comparison.

• Advertisement

I just thought of it that my mother is the one I've tested on ancestry and then transferred to FTDNA and this is how her Origins show up

ANCESTRY
    REGION APPROXIMATE AMOUNT

Europe 100%

Ireland 84%
    Great Britain 10%
    Europe West 6%

FTDNA

European 100%

British Isles 96%
    Western & Central Europe 4%

So it looks like Ancestry is more detailed in their Origins

There are 3 Companies that offer Autosomal testing,
    FTDNA https://www.familytreedna.com/family-finder-compare.aspx
    Ancestry http://dna.ancestry.co.uk/
    23andme https://www.23andme.com/en-eu/

results from any of these tests will go back about 5 to 6 generations for both sides.. FTDNA is the only one to offer MT DNA and Y DNA testing, and 23andme offer medical testing aswell...

the cost of dna testing from any of the 3 websites depends on who you order from and where in the world you are, ordering from Ireland FTDNA is the cheapest option at the moment at about €99 euro, ancestry is about €160 and 23andme is about €169

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Threads on DNA testing merged

Genealogy Forum Mod

I thought I was going crazy there for a moment Pinky!

For Allergies? Or for Neanderthal admixture? 23andme will give you a breakdown of your "Neanderthal admixture", in my own case they peg me at 2.8% -- the Otherhalf whose from Philippines is 2.7% in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Interesting thread :) I'm a female and and was interested in getting a DNA test - so from reading here, my test will only show up the female results - is that right? Thanks :)

No: there's 2 types of test you can do: mitochondrial will show female lines only but autosomal will show XY cousin matches in the 1 - 6th range.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

pinkypinky wrote: »
    No: there's 2 types of test you can do: mitochondrial will show female lines only but autosomal will show XY cousin matches in the 1 - 6th range.

Are they matching to a database of people with similar markers and tracing your origins this way or from ancient human remains?

The former. Best database of Irish people is with FTDNA at the moment but I expect Ancestry will catch up fast, given all their advertising.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Ancestry probably have one of the larger Autosomnal databases out there, they've passed the 1 million tested in last year or so, and doing fairly heavy advertising, interesting you post your sample to their office here in Dublin.

Seanachai, in general most commerical testing companies do not use aDNA genomes, mainly as these are (a) fairly new (b) not hugely applicable for people looking for ancestry in genealogical time period.

Of course if you do get tested with any of major commerial companies, you can always download raw data and submit it to sites such as Gedmatch, which often included "Calculators" that will at times include ancient samples etc.

FTDNA does allow people to transfer in their 23andme results, this also works for V1 of ancestrydna, but think current version can't be transferred just let. (hopefully they are working on fixing that).

For MtDNA testing FTDNA is place to go (likewise for Y-DNA in men they have perhaps broadest range of tests available)

Seems AncestryDNA has just hit 2 million samples, they doubled their database in 11 months!

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2016/06/22/2-million-people-strong/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

JT26 wrote: »
    Hey guys,im based in Canada,which one would you recommend for me?i wana see both male and female lines

How big is your wallet? ;) joking aside it can be a hobby that racks up the bills anyways. My opinions:

Y-DNA testing: FamilytreeDNA -- STR (Short Tandem Repeat) testing will show matches in their database, SNP testing will confirm haplogroup -- if you want you can get your Y Chromosome sequenced (BigY -- expensive on order of $500+ US)

MtDNA: FamilytreeDNA -- they give an option of full sequence

Autosomnal testing: Ancestry probably have best calculator, they now have over 2million samples for looking for matches etc. -- you can also do autosomnal at FTDNA (Familyfinder test) or at 23andme

A useful lecture to watch (was given at RDS in Dublin last year)
    "DNA Testing for Beginners (Debbie Kennett)"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

What is the best DNA test for migration patterns etc? I would like to now where my ancestors came from. TIA

Advertisement