Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DNA testing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Ancestry probably have one of the larger Autosomnal databases out there, they've passed the 1 million tested in last year or so, and doing fairly heavy advertising, interesting you post your sample to their office here in Dublin.

Seanachai, in general most commerical testing companies do not use aDNA genomes, mainly as these are (a) fairly new (b) not hugely applicable for people looking for ancestry in genealogical time period.

Of course if you do get tested with any of major commerial companies, you can always download raw data and submit it to sites such as Gedmatch, which often included "Calculators" that will at times include ancient samples etc.

FTDNA does allow people to transfer in their 23andme results, this also works for V1 of ancestrydna, but think current version can't be transferred just let. (hopefully they are working on fixing that).

For MtDNA testing FTDNA is place to go (likewise for Y-DNA in men they have perhaps broadest range of tests available)

Seems AncestryDNA has just hit 2 million samples, they doubled their database in 11 months!

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2016/06/22/2-million-people-strong/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

JT26 wrote: »
    Hey guys,im based in Canada,which one would you recommend for me?i wana see both male and female lines

How big is your wallet? ;) joking aside it can be a hobby that racks up the bills anyways. My opinions:

Y-DNA testing: FamilytreeDNA -- STR (Short Tandem Repeat) testing will show matches in their database, SNP testing will confirm haplogroup -- if you want you can get your Y Chromosome sequenced (BigY -- expensive on order of $500+ US)

MtDNA: FamilytreeDNA -- they give an option of full sequence

Autosomnal testing: Ancestry probably have best calculator, they now have over 2million samples for looking for matches etc. -- you can also do autosomnal at FTDNA (Familyfinder test) or at 23andme

A useful lecture to watch (was given at RDS in Dublin last year)
    "DNA Testing for Beginners (Debbie Kennett)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

What is the best DNA test for migration patterns etc? I would like to now where my ancestors came from. TIA

Advertisement