Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

when people ask you how much you get paid....

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I find it to be the height of noseyness. Had a guy ask me once, and I said ''well how much do you get paid?'' and he wouldnt tell me.

so there ya go, they are just being nosey so they can go off and relay to their friends how much more they get paid than you. Its an ego trip question most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

just say that I'm worth every penny and more...:)
    after that screw em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Huh? Why wouldn't you tell them?
    :confused:

Why would it be a secret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I find this a real 'sales' mentality. Sales people I've worked with were always comparing wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Shenshen wrote: »
    Huh? Why wouldn't you tell them?
    :confused:

Why would it be a secret?

Why would I? I make much more than my friends so wouldn't want bitterness/jealous etc getting in the way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I have never been asked how much do I get paid, nor would I dream of asking somebody else.

Somebody doing it displays the height of obnoxiousness and lacks class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 purpleskittles

No one asks me. However I know people who freely share their salary with others even though no one asked them in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

would depend... have talked about salary with one or two close friends, have asked but only because there'd been a similar conversation before and there'd be some trust/understanding there about it

I can never understand why people are so touchy about this.

It wasn't until I needed to apply for the student grant that my dad would give me any sort of clue as to what he earned, and to this day doesn't let anyone near the bills. He's so secretive about it I once became convinced we must be seriously struggling, so I peeked a look at the gas bill and we're totally fine, he's just irrationally secretive about it. Which makes it very difficult to know how much to hand him each week. I contribute to the house on a "whatever you want" basis, but I'd much prefer if it was "whatever's needed", so that if they ever need an extra few bob I'd know, and so I'd know how much use my share is to them.

I earn minimum wage, which some weeks works out as €50 or other weeks works out as €350+. I wouldn't tell anyone how much I've got in my savings, but someone just asking about my savings or asking someone their wage is nothing to be offended by IMO, unless you're some sort of millionaire or into something dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I've been self employed for 5 years and no one has ever asked me that question. I wouldn't tell them either, mainly because I don't know what he answer is. There's a difference between drawings and profit.
    Same as this, I've no idea what I earn and I don't hugely care either. That's probably because I'm a "spoilt git" or some other psychobabble to most, but actually, I've no interest. I get a token salary, probably somthing jokey low, and if anyone asks, I say I'm a labourer(which annoys the wife) and get labourers pay.

I'm trying hard to build a business that has real long term value both to clients and me and I've more interest in seeing that grow and get better than seeing a paycheck every week. I worry far more about making sure the people that work in the business get a good wage and I never tell anyone what another person earns. That's their own business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I tell them that nosy people get their noses cut off with my pair of giant golden scissors.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I tell them that I get paid €410 a week. Then I tell them to shove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I once asked a girl who I considered to be a friend, what her and her husband paid for the site where they built their house. I was in the process of building a house at the time with my ex so it was of interest not out of nosiness. But she wouldn't tell me. She said they don't discuss it with anyone :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'd tell close friends and family. If anyone else asked it depends on the context, e.g. having a conversation with someone asking about salary brackets in my job, I'd give a rough estimate. But just someone blurting it out, I'd probably just say "enough".

I don't get some people's ultra secrecy about it. My GFs Father is very secretive about it, apparently he doesn't even tell his wife how much he earns and just gives her a weekly allowance.

Advertisement