Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use subtitles ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

No
    Why just The Wire?

With the accents and slang on The Wire, significant parts of the dialogue would go right over my head without subtitles.

I don't need subtitles to understand much else in English, generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Yes, but I am NOT hard of hearing (Please explain why you do)
    I use subtitles on most of the shows I watch. Even with 2 hearing aids I still find it hard to hear most things no matter how high the volume's cranked to.
    Also, it's sometimes easier than straining to hear over the drone of my mother who insists on nattering away on the phone EVERY. ****ING. TIME. WE. TRY. TO. WATCH. SOMETHING!! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Why just The Wire?

I used to for The Wire as well, mainly because of Stringer Bell.

Speak up and stop mumbling, Stringer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

No, but I do want somebody to invent a mobile subtitle app for when I meet people from up North, or 'Norren Iron' as they might call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Not on the telly although I would like to at times coz I am hard of hearing. I put the subtitles on when I'm playing playstation games that have stories and character dialogue...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Record some stuff from TG4, most of it has on screen subtitles.

You can then watch it on fast forward

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I'm deaf and I use this all the time when available except for watching the news, rugby and something that's live like the Olympics. Live shows display subtitles with a massive delay and can be confusing.

Everyone else in the family hate it, sucks to be them :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

keith16 wrote: »
    CLAIRE: If you're new to DVD, you might want to rent the director's cut of "Das Boot." It's amazing - I mean, if you don't mind subtitles.

FRASIER: Mind them? I prefer them! In fact, I do speak a bit of German, so in this case they might actually be a distraction!
    What rubbish

it's best viewed as the miniseries with German audio and subtitles

And yes I do know that the actors dubbed themselves into English, so the dubbed version is about as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'm forced to use them when I watch Spongebob on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm forced to use them when I watch Spongebob on TG4.
    You could just watch Spongebob on another channel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Season 3 of Sons of Anarchy had a lot of scenes taking place in Belfast and with "Northern Irish" actors, some had literally the worst excuses for oirish accents I've ever heard, to the point where I needed subtitles on Netflix to try and understand them fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

phasers wrote: »
    You could just watch Spongebob on another channel...

I could, couldn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

J. Marston wrote: »
    I used to for The Wire as well, mainly because of Stringer Bell.

Speak up and stop mumbling, Stringer.

Ha! Yeah, he did mumble a bit!
    What's his name actually - The gay guy with the scar and the shot gun - Could never understand a word he said!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

My hearing is pretty awful, so I use subtitles whenever they're available. I've gotten so used to it, that even when I can hear a show/movie, I'll still use them anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You know that someone still does subtitles manually for live TV? I assumed by the silly mistakes that it was automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I use them in real life when people cant understand my dublin accent. carry a big whiteboard around with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

No
    I don't have a hearing problem but I always put subtitles on, don't know why really, I just always have.

On the rare occasion I watch something on tv when the kids are still up I have no choice to put subtitles on because my children are the noisiest children in Ireland.

I also find it handy because I tend to be using my laptop at the same time as watching a tv show...so I can read the subtitles faster than the words are spoken so I tend to just look at the screen and read the subtitles then get back to what I was doing.

..but like I said I will have subtitles on regardless, whether i'm using the laptop at the same time or not, the only time I won't is if i'm watching something with my other half.

Advertisement