Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use subtitles ??

Options
  • 29-11-2012 9:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Like the question says, do you use subtitles when watching a film / something in your native language (which is, for the most of us, English). I have noticed a lot of people I know using subtitles when watching TV, even though they don't need it. They are an annoyance and annoy me :mad:

Do you use subtitles (in a quiet room, no noise, when the show is in English)? 34 votes

Yes, but I am hard of hearing
    0%
    Yes, but I am NOT hard of hearing (Please explain why you do)
    26%
    pickarooneyGrumPydeathriderVanishingActstonycascarinoMcChubbinLostBoy101jamo2oo9Extinction 9 votes
    No
    73%
    LinogejackofalltradesHolstenMr.SBob the Seducer3rdDegreeXivilaielgriffRun_to_da_hillsPat MustardBrienbrummytomBodhranMiss Lockhartthebull09BOHtoxSeans_UsernamehotsDEFTLEFTHANDAenaes 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nobody does this, you are a liar!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Nobody does this, you are a liar!

My mother does, for one, and her hearing is apparently grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I had to watch The Artist with the sub-titles on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

WHAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No
    Sometimes I do if the sound isn't quite right or the accents are hard to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Most of the people who would do this who do not have any hearing problems would be the kind that you assume can not read at all. If you need a helping hand to keep up with dialog and you do not have a disability, something is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That's not what she tell me!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

No
    I sometimes put them on particularly late at night when I don't want the volume turned up too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I hate it, one night we were watching father ted, my mother decided to put them on, it ruined every single joke.

No
    Most of the people who would do this who do not have any hearing problems would be the kind that you assume can not read at all. If you need a helping hand to keep up with dialog and you do not have a disability, something is wrong.

Sometimes characters' speech is heavily accented and it can be helpful to switch on subtitles. It doesn't mean there is something wrong with you. That's just absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Anyone other than your mother that you know of?

Just don't drop over to her during times she's watching tv.

My mother does too but she's a million years of age and is deaf as a post. Doesn't bother me.

It might be more of a Ma thing you have going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Bodhran wrote: »
    Sometimes characters' speech is heavily accented and it can be helpful to switch on subtitles. It doesn't mean there is something wrong with you. That's just absurd.

I've seen people do this even with Coronation Street, Fair City, Malcolm in the Middle, Simpsons, RTÉ News. No excuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

No
    When I'm watching The Wire.

No
    I've seen people do this even with Coronation Street, Fair City, Malcolm in the Middle, Simpsons, RTÉ News. No excuse for it.

So what? It's their choice. It's a facility that's available and people can use it or not as they wish. No big deal really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

No
    I do it when there's some fcukers in the room that wont shut up or someone on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I almost did it for The Wire but after a while you get immersed in the patois. Still there're some some scenes where I have no idea what they were saying (usually when the 'good guys' are speaking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

CLAIRE: If you're new to DVD, you might want to rent the director's cut of "Das Boot." It's amazing - I mean, if you don't mind subtitles.

FRASIER: Mind them? I prefer them! In fact, I do speak a bit of German, so in this case they might actually be a distraction!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

No
    There are a number of times I do it:

1. Late at night.
    2. If other people are talking and I'm the only one watching whatever is on.
    3. If I have music on but still want to keep track of what's going on on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I used to have them on sometimes but not anymore. The ruined the finale of a tv show I was watching. Boardwalk Empire season 2
    the scene where Nucky shoots Jimmy at the end. They were talking and I just glanced at the subtitles and saw that Jimmy's next sentence was cut off so in that split second I knew he was going to die and it completely fúcking ruined the ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No
    I do it and I can't really explain why I prefer it. I just do.

It seems to be a recognised phenomenon:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4862652.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Is it subtitled or is it dubbed, Father?
    It's subtitled.
    Bejaysus!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

No
    I do it and I can't really explain why I prefer it. I just do.

It seems to be a recognised phenomenon:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4862652.stm

The username, perfect grammar and punctuation all scream perfectionist. Deep down, you can't bear to think that there's something that you might have missed.

Tell me I'm wrong, I dare you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

My 9 year old has always done this since he could read.
    I don't know why he does it - I have asked him and his answer is just "I like it".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Why just The Wire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No
    The username, perfect grammar and punctuation all scream perfectionist. Deep down, you can't bear to think that there's something that you might have missed.

Tell me I'm wrong, I dare you.

You may be on to something...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yes, but I am NOT hard of hearing (Please explain why you do)
    I can never pick up on speech in the background so often put them on. It's amazing the stuff I miss otherwise. I usually have them on anyway for my OH who occasionally has trouble with accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

My 9 year old has always done this since he could read.
    I don't know why he does it - I have asked him and his answer is just "I like it".

i went through a phase of doing this for everything i watched around 8 or 9, lasted about 3 years before i just stopped. i dont know why though, just liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I when watching TV or film with my gf. She is not from a native English speaking country and although she Isa fluent speaker she doesn't always understand accents or if actors at speaking to quickly etc. Don't like them but have gotten used to them at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Why just The Wire?
    Because The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air did not adequately prepare me for how young, streetwise African Americans actually speak, ah-ight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Did it tonight - had to make a phone call but also didnt want to miss the end of a show. Of course being a bloke I found it hard to read and listen but it kinda worked!

Advertisement