Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Critique this:)

• 11-09-2015 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

So tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I should do right.

This is what I had to eat today.

Breakfast; Porridge with half milk, half water (the oval tub with the red spoon) 2 spoons of oats.2 spoons of water, 2 spoons of milk. (Low fat milk)

Lunch ; 2 slices of Brennans wholemeal good for you bread with boiled egg, rocket, cucumber and baby tomatoes
    4 cream crackers with hummus( bought in Dunnes)

Dinner ; Fillet of chicken, carrots and cauliflower.

After Dinner ; 2 animal bars.

Let me know what I can do better or suggest alternatives.

I do spinning or cycling 4 times a week.
    I want to lose a stone.

I am thinking of going to a strength and conditioning class twice a week also as should be good for fat loss?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Well, if you ate Lion bars after dinner then you aren't doing well...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

Haha, never was a fan of Lion bars.

Everyones input is welcome.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Replace animal bars with a few squares of dark chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

bohsman wrote: »
    Replace animal bars with a few squares of dark chocolate.

Or nothing at all. Dark chocolate is slightly better for you. That doesn't mean you can eat it daily.

OP is the Brennan's real brown bread? Or that processed stuff ( it doesn't deserve to be called bread). If it's the processed one. Either don't eat it. Or get real soda bread.

You could do with eating more fruit and veg.

Thanks guys.Yeah it's that processed one.
    Can you rec any particular soda bread that would be good?
    I will introduce more fruit and veg.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

In relation to the exercise should l lose the weight I want to lose by doing cardio and then start strength training or start strength training straight away in addition to cardio?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Is that diet keeping hunger at bay? Looks really low in protein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What are your goals? Looks like your taking in about 1200-1400 calories a day. - spinning class 600-800 calories means your getting by on roughly 600 calories 4 days a week.

I don't be hungry eating that but maybe I should be eating more.

I'm still learning.Where can I add in more protein?

My goal is to lose a stone, lose fat and tone up.

All advice is extremely welcome.Thanks again

You have no protein at lunch and breakfast.

Eggs are great breakfast protein, and some additional meat at lunch.

When you lose weight you lose fat (good) and muscle (bad) at the same time. If you eat more protein, you'll preserve more muscle and look more toned than if you eat low protein as currently. The scale won't go down as much as muscle is more dense but your clothes size will get smaller.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Would it be better for me to have eggs instead of porridge then for breakfast yeah?

Should I give up bread altogether? Just have big salad with breast of chicken instead?

Smile111 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Would it be better for me to have eggs instead of porridge then for breakfast yeah?

Should I give up bread altogether? Just have big salad with breast of chicken instead?

What is your current weight?
    To lose weight you need to eat a calorie deficit.
    But first you need to calculate what your Calorie intake should be for your current weight.

58.4kg 5'3 33

58.4kg

Height and age?

Thanks.

An egg is 80 cals, so I don't think that you need to remove anything, just add a boiled egg or two.

Again, your lunch can stand to have a few more protein cals added to it without necessarily removing anything, though I'd say if you were going to take anything out, the cream crackers with hummus would probably be a better candidate, hummus from dunnes isn't made with olive oil but crappier seed oils.

58.4kg 5'3

You should be consuming around 1800 calories. Maybe a bit less. That's not allowing for the spin classes or other excersises.
    I'd actually increase what your eating but eat a bit cleaner. Have protein and carbs after a spin class. Have more protein in general.
    Download myfitnesspal app. It'll breakdown the ratios of protein, carbs and fats that you need to meet your goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

In relation to the exercise should l lose the weight I want to lose by doing cardio and then start strength training or start strength training straight away in addition to cardio?

A coach once said to me "You don't run to get fit, you need to be fit to run."

Doing cardio is a good part of an exercise plan but it shouldn't be the only part of your exercise plan.

I'd recommend getting straight into the strength and conditioning training straight away, it's were you'll see results fastest and it's more fun than jogging or sitting on an exercise bike or running on a cross trainer for hours.

Hey all, So I downloaded MFP and logged everything.
    It says I should aim to lose a lb a wk.
    When I completed my entry today it says if all days like this should lose 1.9 lbs in 5 weeks.

I was over by 180 today.

I am wondering if whatever calories it says I should eat, should I subtract 500 from it so be at a deficit?

Sorry, just a bit puzzled with app.:/

Hey all, So I downloaded MFP and logged everything.
    It says I should aim to lose a lb a wk.
    When I completed my entry today it says if all days like this should lose 1.9 lbs in 5 weeks.

I was over by 180 today.

I am wondering if whatever calories it says I should eat, should I subtract 500 from it so be at a deficit?

Sorry, just a bit puzzled with app.:/

Did you input your goals?

Yeah

• Advertisement

Yeah

I searched a few calorie calculators online until I found one that seemed better and more detailed. They all seem to vary.
    So I found out my maintenance calories. If your maintenance is 1800 a day, and you eat less you'll lose weight. Or if you eat the 1800 and do a spin class, then you'll be in deficit. I'm by no means an expert on this and there are far more knowledgable people on here than me. But that's my take on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is how many calories you ned to stay alive and have a balance of 0. Basically if you sleep for 24 hrs this is how many calories you need to consume not to lose weight.
    Calculator

This can be very different for age, height etc. Mine is 2100 for example.

You then add some for your lifestyle(less exercise). I sit at a computer desk all day so I will add 200 calories. If you are a labourer you should add 700 calories.

This brings me to 2300.

Then add any calories for exercise. I'll be doing a walk this morning (100) and playing soccer tonight (400) so my calorie requirement is 2800.

Fat is roughly 6600 calories per kilo. If I wanted to lose a kilo in a week I have a Loss Requirement of 942 (6600 / 7 days) from my diet - meaning I have a calorie target of 1858.

With regards to weight loss only (and not overall health or wellbeing) that is the weight loss equation at it's simplest.

BMR + Lifestyle + Exercise -LossRequirement = Target
    2100 + 200 +500 - 942 = 1858

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

OP, using your stats in this calculator and assuming 1*3 hours of light exercise (better to underestimate the exercise), then your to maintain your weight, you'd be looking at ~1850 kcals daily.

The percentage you drop below that is up to you but 1500 would be ~ 20% below.

If you use MFP, just use it to count calories and macros. Don't start factoring in the calories earned exercising because they're almost always very much an overestimate.

Thanks guys.
    I haven't input any exercise at all.
    It states should eat 1200 calories. On the other site says 1215 Alf from what I can see.

Anyway sure, I'll see how it goes!

Thanks guys.
    I haven't input any exercise at all.
    It states should eat 1200 calories. On the other site says 1215 Alf from what I can see.

Anyway sure, I'll see how it goes!

I don't think 15 calories is worth worrying about

I'm not:)

Just saying that I got 1215 as opposed to 1850.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm not:)

Just saying that I got 1215 as opposed to 1850.:)

What field on that gave you 1215?

I gave 1850 as the TDEE with 1-3 hours of light exercise a week. That's before your deficit is taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

ch750536 wrote: »
    Fat is roughly 6600 calories per kilo.

from looking online 7,700 calories per kg/ 3,500 per lb seems to be more accurate.

It's prob because I didn't put in any exercise. Anyway I'll keep logging and see how I go :)

• Advertisement

Hey guys, Am I supposed to log my new weight every wk so that my target gets altered on fitness pal? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I'm not really one to give solid advice on diet (I'm trying to lose 12 pounds myself!)

But the changes I would personally make to your diet are:

If you're going to eat bread daily, eat it at breakfast toasted with scrambled eggs. You have your carbs and protein then, all in one go. To keep me full until lunchtime I also have a small banana and a little pot of Greek yoghurt (good protein).
    Some days I swap the scrambled eggs for some Meridian 100% Peanut Butter - it is YUM and especially delicious with the banana sliced on top.
    Sounds like a lot to eat but my secret to weight loss (works for me, not saying it will for everyone) is to eat enough to keep me full until lunchtime - when I have a breakfast like this, I don't snack at all for the rest of the day.

Then lunch - as you've had your bread for breakfast I would now omit that from your lunch.
    You still might want carbs though to keep you full until dinner, how about a little brown rice with your salad?
    You can mix chopped scallions, peppers etc through it and spices.
    Get rid of the crackers and hummus and add in a chicken breast or some tuna instead.

Dinner - yeah grand, can't give you any advice here as my dinners tend to be boring like this too, would love some evening meal ideas myself!

Because I have carbs like bread/potato/rice at breakfast and lunch, I try to avoid them at dinner and just get my carbs from leafy greens instead.
    That's just me though, would also like a little advice and some tips on my own diet so I'll keep following this thread :)

Good luck with the weightloss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Hey guys, Am I supposed to log my new weight every wk so that my target gets altered on fitness pal? Thanks.

Yes :)
    I've recently joined there too, if you want to add me PM me your username!
    Seems to be mainly Americans on there, would be good to have some friends in my timezone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

So tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I should do right.

This is what I had to eat today.

Breakfast; Porridge with half milk, half water (the oval tub with the red spoon) 2 spoons of oats.2 spoons of water, 2 spoons of milk. (Low fat milk)

Lunch ; 2 slices of Brennans wholemeal good for you bread with boiled egg, rocket, cucumber and baby tomatoes
    4 cream crackers with hummus( bought in Dunnes)

Dinner ; Fillet of chicken, carrots and cauliflower.

After Dinner ; 2 animal bars.

Let me know what I can do better or suggest alternatives.

I do spinning or cycling 4 times a week.
    I want to lose a stone.

I am thinking of going to a strength and conditioning class twice a week also as should be good for fat loss?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply.

1) Try to eat more than 3 meals per day. (I don't mean eat more food - just spread your food intake over more smaller meals)

2) Breakfast needs to be something more substantial and balanced. Not just cereal and milk. Add an egg or piece of toast with real peanut butter.

3) Again, dinner needs more balance. There's almost no fat in that meal and it's also very low on carbs. (salmon + pasta/rice + veg might be a better choice)

Advertisement