Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl vitimans

• 25-04-2013 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

Was look at Cod liver oil supplements in Lidl the other day. Quite cheap. Are they less effective than named brands or is there a difference??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Less effective how?

They sell oranges in lidl for cheaper than my local Centra. Do you think the oranges are less good for you than the Centra ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

syklops wrote: »
    Less effective how?

They sell oranges in lidl for cheaper than my local Centra. Do you think the oranges are less good for you than the Centra ones?

I'm not saying there less effective. I'm only asking are they as good as named brands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Dtp79 wrote: »
    I'm not saying there less effective. I'm only asking are they as good as named brands

who ever said named brands were good?

Cod liver oil is cod liver oil, lidl don't take anything out of it to make it cheaper. they simply charge you less (price does not equal quality)

Cod liver oil is cod liver oil, lidl don't take anything out of it to make it cheaper. they simply charge you less (price does not equal quality)

That's all I needed to hear. Thank you

What are these named brands you are referring to?

Look at the ingredients list on the bottle. It should contain cod liver oil, gelatin for the capsule and thats about it.

• Advertisement

The named brands marketing division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

The fish oil tabs in Lidl have the same epa/dha content as what myprotein sell ya but lidl is cheaper.

Look at the ingredients list on the bottle. It should contain cod liver oil, gelatin for the capsule and thats about it.

Seven seas etc. I was only wondering if lidl oil was of a lower grade. Same as buying a 24v drill there. Compared to a 24v Hilti. They both drill holes but the difference in them is huge

Seven seas etc. I was only wondering if lidl oil was of a lower grade. Same as buying a 24v drill there. Compared to a 24v Hilti. They both drill holes but the difference in them is huge

A drill contains a thousand different parts each of which can be gotten at varying levels of quality.

Cod liver oil contains cod liver oil and not a whole lot else.

Is Deep Riverrock water(It's water you wear!) better than Lidl own brand water?

A drill contains a thousand different parts each of which can be gotten at varying levels of quality.

Who knows!! Maybe it comes from a better filtered system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It comes from healthier muscle fish
    th?id=H.4617421546522230&pid=1.7

Who knows!! Maybe it comes from a better filtered system

So it turns out marketing does work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

wow people on here need to chill, what's with all the smartness on this forum :confused:
    the op only asked a question and was looking for a simple answer, not everyone has the same level of knowledge on certain things.

To be fair the lidl brand could contain less/more oil or capsules than another brand.

Op to answer your question, the lidl brand is most likely cheaper and contains the same amount of capsules and oil as any other brand.

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    wow people on here need to chill, what's with all the smartness on this forum :confused:
    the op only asked a question and was looking for a simple answer, not everyone has the same level of knowledge on certain things.

To be fair the lidl brand could contain less/more oil or capsules than another brand.

Op to answer your question, the lidl brand is most likely cheaper and contains the same amount of capsules and oil as any other brand.

Thank you sunnydub1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ant11 wrote: »
    The fish oil tabs in Lidl have the same epa/dha content as what myprotein sell ya but lidl is cheaper.

What levels of epa/dha are you talking about for the lidl brands?

Labraspoon wrote: »
    The cod liver oil could be rancid which is bad for you, there is a huge difference between good and bad cod liver oil.

Well I'm talking more about fish oils supplements in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What levels of epa/dha are you talking about for the lidl brands?

Did...you close your account in 2013, make a new one a few months later, and then wait two years to come resume an old conversation?

Zillah wrote: »
    Did...you close your account in 2013, make a new one a few months later, and then wait two years to come resume an old conversation?

Yes

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Lol at all the responses on here. Supplements vary wildly in quality. Though that does not always mean more expensive = better quality.

Regarding CLO in particular, most commercial CLO is heated which destroys the vitamin A, then synthetic vitamin A is added back in. Not a huge fan of sythetic vitamin A, so would recommend the extra virgin CLO brand, which is pricey but that's because it takes a lot of work to preserve the vitamins.

Another thing I look out for is that the supplements are manufactured in a GMP certified facility. GMP is the standard enforced for manufacturing medications and ensures what's on the bottle is in the bottle. Because supplements are unregulated there are loads of issues where there is none of the purported vitamin in the capsule or sometimes 10 times the amount stated!

Consumer lab recently tested 75 brands of multivitamins and found variances in 40% of the brands (these are all US brands). So there is something to be said to buying a 'Name-Brand' as at least their brand is at stake if they're not careful.

OR

You could just avoid all of that by getting vitamins from food. Cron-o-meter is a good place to start if you want to figure out what your not getting enough of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

You could just avoid all of that by getting vitamins from food.

This should be made the go to response for all nutrition questions. Lol.

If you eat Right there should be no need to supplement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Less effective how?

The named brands marketing division.

So it turns out marketing does work.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Thank you for your helpful contribution.

Advertisement