Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cravings

• 30-09-2015 11:55am

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with cravings? Are they an actual thing or is it all in my head? My cravings are all sugar based (a frozen mars bar, a donut etc) so I presume it's just a matter of giving it time and kicking the habit? Any good substitutes for sugar cravings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"All in your head" is a glib way of putting it. Cravings are by their very definition all in your head :)

Sugar cravings are tough. And they can't satisfied by weaning yourself off. Having a little muffin here or a tiny bit of chocolate there makes it worse, not better.

2 weeks. That's what it takes to get over the hump, and the second week is harder than the first. If you give in and have a doughnut or a bar of chocolate in this two weeks, you're back to square one.

General tips are first off to not having anything sweet in the house. You will occasionally go a bit insane rooting through presses, and even if you have a piece of toast to get you past it, it's better than eating crap. Have a substantial lunch before you go shopping, it'll stop you from feeling like you need to buy something naughty.

Avoid going out for two weeks. No, really. Arrange to stay at home, have a couple of beers if you want, but don't go mad. Going on the tear is when you're most likely to give in at some point and eat crap - the next day usually.

Bring lunches into work, and don't bring any money or cards with you. Prevents you from nipping down to the shops for chocolate. If you can't do this, then bring the exact amount of cash with you to buy your lunch.

If someone brings in chocolate or something, politely decline and if they put it near your desk, then unashamedly lift it and move it to someone else's desk, out of your eye line.

seamus wrote: »
    "All in your head" is a glib way of putting it. Cravings are by their very definition all in your head :)

Sugar cravings are tough. And they can't satisfied by weaning yourself off. Having a little muffin here or a tiny bit of chocolate there makes it worse, not better.

2 weeks. That's what it takes to get over the hump, and the second week is harder than the first. If you give in and have a doughnut or a bar of chocolate in this two weeks, you're back to square one.

General tips are first off to not having anything sweet in the house. You will occasionally go a bit insane rooting through presses, and even if you have a piece of toast to get you past it, it's better than eating crap. Have a substantial lunch before you go shopping, it'll stop you from feeling like you need to buy something naughty.

Avoid going out for two weeks. No, really. Arrange to stay at home, have a couple of beers if you want, but don't go mad. Going on the tear is when you're most likely to give in at some point and eat crap - the next day usually.

Bring lunches into work, and don't bring any money or cards with you. Prevents you from nipping down to the shops for chocolate. If you can't do this, then bring the exact amount of cash with you to buy your lunch.

If someone brings in chocolate or something, politely decline and if they put it near your desk, then unashamedly lift it and move it to someone else's desk, out of your eye line.

Laughed out loud when I read the bit about nipping down to the shop for chocolate - I'm in the library at college eyeing my purse and debating whether I should head to the local Spar :rolleyes: I'll have to make do with my orange!

I'll set myself a two week challenge, see if I can make it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,677 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If you didn't have cravings you wouldn't be human.

Advertisement