Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet with money on the line

Options
  • 18-09-2015 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Anyone used the app Dietbet ?

I've been using it for 3 weeks now. I have one week to go and I'm looking on track

My challenge was to lose 4% of my weight something like 8 pounds

How it works is you put money on the line and if you don't hit your goal you lose the money but if you do you get it back and a share of all the peoples that didn't make it .

Ive learned that Im more motivated by losing my money to people than actually just losing the weight for health or vanity reasons.

My group has 59 players the pot is 2,170 euro
    and if I'm honest I hope all those fat effers lose... Lol !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

There was a reality tv show with that same idea a year or so ago... Just curious how do you prove if you've lost weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MurphChops

You take a head to toe picture of yourself standing on a scales with a password they give you wrote out on a card also a picture looking down of the scales .
    same at the end with a different word .
    Only the the dietbet refs see the pictures
    if shannigans are suspected they make ya do a video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Stupid idea imo, people trying to force themselves into losing X amount of weight in a specific timeframe is very unhealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

If you need that kind of motivation you've bigger issues than simply what you're eating.

Stupid idea imo, people trying to force themselves into losing X amount of weight in a specific timeframe is very unhealthy.

4% of your weight in a month , is that unhealthy ?

What it has done is made people look properly at what they are eating and motivated them to work out for a month probably for the first time.

Yeah its probably not for health nuts or people trying to stay at their ideal weight
    but great for getting people on to the path

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

MurphChops wrote: »

What it has done is made people look properly at what they are eating and motivated them to work out for a month probably for the first time.

Yeah its probably not for health nuts or people trying to stay at their ideal weight

I think they might have been referring to people who might be more inclined to look at a short-term solution as a means to an end rather than looking at their diet and making relatively sensible changes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Weighing scales are easily fiddled with. You're putting yourself on a crash diet with odd motivations while basically trusting that there's nobody who knows how to adjust their scales in the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Any diet or goal that has you saying 'i hope all the fat effers lose' is something I'd avoid personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm good at photoshop. I'll make a fortune and be down to a healthy 6 stone in no time. Win win.

Being serious, just eat healthily, cut out (or down) sugar intake and exercise regularly. It's not a huge mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

MurphChops wrote: »

1-2 pounds a week is generally considered a healthy target for weight loss, so 8 pounds in a month is fine.

• Advertisement

So this worked out great I dumped 9 pound in total and gained 15 euro,
    probably wont do it again I didn't really need to lose weight I'm just a hooooer for challenges !!

Advertisement