Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The purpose of surveys and thus the type of questions often asked, is to confirm the preferred choice of the, powers that be, whoever they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

marno21 wrote: »
    Totofan99 wrote: »
    That's exactly what I told them first! But their question was, if the N20 wasn't there, at all, which route would I use?

This is a bizarre line of questioning. I'd be telling them I'd take the train
    I'm guessing they're sussing out a preferred route (M20), a second route ('M513') and a third (via Cahir). That's what I would gather from it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Why was the road closed for so long for a single vehicle accident?

Because we live in Ireland.!!
    A speedy recovery to the unfortunate motorcyclist involved, but is there any other country in the civilized world where a main artery through the country is still closed 12 hours after a single vehicle accident. Imagine this happening on the M1 from Leeds to London or the Autobahn from Berlin to Hamburg.
    Protocol my a##e.
    It was nothing short of a miracle that there wasn't a serious or fatal accident on the detour routes today between Rathduff and Mourneabbey,
    We seriously need to wise up in this country and put the PC brigade where they belong.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sorry, I might not have been clear. I think a motorway from Mitchelstown is a poor and short-sighted solution. However, as you noted, TII also recognise this, which is why nobody is seriously discussing Mitchelstown as an alternative route. That's why I doubt that the surveyors today had any interest in nefariously rerouting a future motorway to Limerick.

Apologies Aontachtoir - didn't read properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭cjpm

What an absurd day to have the census. When radio stations are advising drivers to avoid the route. Any people that would definitely use the M20 Mallow Cork section would be actively using another route on the census day.

So drivers travelling between Limerick and Cork would head through Mitchelstown
    Between Kanturk and Cork would go through Bweeng.
    Between Killavullen and Cork would go through Whitechurch

So on so on......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

cjpm wrote: »
    What an absurd day to have the census. When radio stations are advising drivers to avoid the route. Any people that would definitely use the M20 Mallow Cork section would be actively using another route on the census day.

Like I said, only in Ireland. Banana Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

So drivers travelling between Limerick and Cork would head through Mitchelstown
    Between Kanturk and Cork would go through Bweeng.
    Between Killavullen and Cork would go through Whitechurch

So on so on......

Kanturk drivers would go via Nadd and many already do, however with an M20 I think many of those would swap to that route.

It's obvious their census will be meaningless but I imagine no-one on the ground had the authority to call it off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Isambard wrote: »
    Kanturk drivers would go via Nadd and many already do, however with an M20 I think many of those would swap to that route.

It's obvious their census will be meaningless but I imagine no-one on the ground had the authority to call it off.

Not even with just an M20, a North Ring Road. Would be much handier for Little Island, Carrigtwohill, Mahon etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Chaos at the N20 N72 Roundabout in Mallow this evening.

Leo may say that we will eventually get the M20 but I won’t believe a thing until there is construction on site.

I think we are in for a rude awakening still with little funding in the next budget and there will still be continued calls for an M513.

People in high places do not want this road built. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

An M513 to M8(would obviously be called M20 though) wouldn't be as bad as an M24 to M8, but throwing more traffic onto Dunkettle would be madness. May as well throw the Killarney traffic on it too, make the traffic worse than the Dublin keys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The Roundabout Inn has gone up in smoke, chaos ensues.
    The emergency services in their wisdom have diverted everything through Mallow, hearing of upwards of an hour from Mallow South Exit to Mallow Bridge.

the mind boggles how the traffic could be diverted through Drommahane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Just seen an up close video on Facebook, she’ll be gutted.

the mind boggles how the traffic could be diverted through Drommahane!

Divert past the sugar factory and out onto the N72 and next right for Ballyclough and onto Newtwopothouse.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/m-20-business-breakfast-tickets-37878416363
    The clown prince of Macroom is speaking, Mairead Lavery MC, spit guards for your brekkie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we please keep this thread on the M20 as an infrastructure thread.

I realise that the tendency has developed for posts commenting on accidents on the N20 and in particular those accidents the result in loss of life. This thread is concerned with the aspects that relate to infrastructure and not the aspects that relate to drivers and their unfortunate behaviour.

If you wish to discuss driving, the appropriate forum is in motoring or commuting and transport. Please keep the discussion here on route, planning, construction, funding, and so on. We all know how important the M20 is and how it will transform life in the South West.

Do not take this as a rebuke. It is intended to bring some order to this thread and keep off-topic posts at bay.

Pardon the long post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭cjpm

So for the second time in 36 hours the route between the 2nd and 3rd largest cities (in the Rep) is closed. Beggars belief

Only just seen your post Sam apologies. There will be tumbleweed in the thread if we are waiting for M20 progress I feel!! :mad:

So for the second time in 36 hours the route between the 2nd and 3rd largest cities (in the Rep) is closed. Beggars belief

Only just seen you post Sam apologies. There will be tumbleweed in the thread if we are waiting for M20 progress I feel!! :mad:
    Yes, for the 2nd time in 2 days. It was also closed for a full day a few weeks back due to another fatal collision.

It also shows how ineffective the Mallow "relief road" is with development so close to it and also how shockingly bad the diversionary route through Mallow is.

Ideally traffic would be transitting the River Blackwater on a high level motorway bridge east of Mallow but we can't get greedy now can we.

• Advertisement

Would it take 3/4 years to build? i'd have thought longer given the cost.

€20M won't do a huge amount though, but of course it is better than nothing.

That road is now the most important upgrade needed in this country.

Would it take 3/4 years to build? i'd have thought longer given the cost.

€20M won't do a huge amount though, but of course it is better than nothing.

That road is now the most important upgrade needed in this country.

If reactivated, the scheme will require €12-15m in its first 2 years of progression. This is why there's a lot of unhappiness as the 2 years will take 2 years no matter what and if the 12m was committed 2 years ago we'd be 2 years closer to construction.

It'll be a 3-4 year build depending on how much M40 is included.

If reactivated, the scheme will require €12-15m in its first 2 years of progression. This is why there's a lot of unhappiness as the 2 years will take 2 years no matter what and if the 12m was committed 2 years ago we'd be 2 years closer to construction.

It'll be a 3-4 year build depending on how much M40 is included.

That's only a drop in the ocean of the government coffers, so i can understand the unhappiness.

By the M40 are we referring to the Northern Ring Road linking up with the South ring road?

That's only a drop in the ocean of the government coffers, so i can understand the unhappiness.

By the M40 are we referring to the Northern Ring Road linking up with the South ring road?

Yep, one is the western section from Curraheen to Killeens and the other is Killeens-north of Glanmire and down to Dunkettle along the M8

my guess is the Western arm will never be built. From Kileens to Glanmire is an extension of the M20 in effect and makes sense as most traffic heads across the river from the N20 anyway. The tunnel interchange would need to be rebuilt too before this could be put into effect, which probably means the Eastern arm won't get built in the short or medium term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

a suspected €450,000,000 increase for the welfare budget this year lads... priorities, priorities for government though :rolleyes::mad:

Idbatterim wrote: »
    a suspected €450,000,000 increase for the welfare budget this year lads... priorities, priorities for government though :rolleyes::mad:

Almost half the M20 shadowing the N20 right there in one budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Wins votes. Sadly not enough people give a crapp about Infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

And if we don't get the Rugby world cup, will the project be mothballed again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

betistuc wrote: »
    And if we don't get the Rugby world cup, will the project be mothballed again?

They RWC is exactly 6 years away. This is very unlikely to be ready by then, even if we win the right to host the tournament.

• Advertisement

They RWC is exactly 6 years away. This is very unlikely to be ready by then, even if we win the right to host the tournament.

Wouldn't it be pathetic if the RWC was the only reason they built the road, this is Ireland though :rolleyes:

Almost half the M20 shadowing the N20 right there in one budget.
    yeah so they get an extra E450,000,000 next year and every single year after that... :rolleyes: but cut MN and DU etc also to "save" pennies...

yeah so they get an extra E450,000,000 next year and every single year after that... :rolleyes: but cut MN and DU etc also to "save" pennies...

I smell an election in 2018 :mad:

this creates problems alright, as we are constantly now on election footing, the bribes for all , will be in every budget, as they dont know when the next one will be. Nothing is going to change here. Best case scenario that is realistic, FF and FG go into coalition. The way I see it, both will be very close seat count wise, SF dont want to go in and or even if they did, the other kingmakers wont go in with them either FF or FG...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Wins votes. Sadly not enough people give a crapp about Infrastructure
    Sadly, some people don't seem to care ablut poverty, either..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Let's stay on topic...

I do, we have a world class welfare system, the road linking cork - limerick and dublins transport infrastructure are third world...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

I do, we have a world class welfare system, the road linking cork - limerick and dublins transport infrastructure are third world...

So, then you understand that there are still people living in poverty, and that they need our help?
    It's great to see the beginnings of a long-awaited return to road-building on an acceptable scale, but surely the eradication of poverty in one of the most socially and economically developed countries in the world should come first?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So, then you understand that there are still people living in poverty, and that they need our help?
    It's great to see the beginnings of a long-awaited return to road-building on an acceptable scale, but surely the eradication of poverty in one of the most socially and economically developed countries in the world should come first?

Mod; Can we keep political possibilities for the politics forum, and stick to discussing the road construction possibilities.

my guess is the Western arm will never be built. From Kileens to Glanmire is an extension of the M20 in effect and makes sense as most traffic heads across the river from the N20 anyway. The tunnel interchange would need to be rebuilt too before this could be put into effect, which probably means the Eastern arm won't get built in the short or medium term.

Western arm will get built eventually. Could be 15 years though. It will take a lot of pressure off the tunnel.

I would think that the full M20 M40 junction will get built. This was the proposed junction.

aywwo9.jpg

In addition, I think the next bit of the N40 west will be built as the next junction provides access to Apple.

• Advertisement

Western arm will get built eventually. Could be 15 years though. It will take a lot of pressure off the tunnel.

I would think that the full M20 M40 junction will get built. This was the proposed junction.

In addition, I think the next bit of the N40 west will be built as the next junction provides access to Apple.

Very unusual layout, with the third level bridge and traffic on the opposite sides on it... Was the projected weaving an issue or isn't there enough room to build regular 4-way cloveleaf?

grogi wrote: »

Very unusual layout, with the third level bridge and traffic on the opposite sides on it... Was the projected weaving an issue or isn't there enough room to build regular 4-way cloveleaf?

Where do you see the weaving? This is a partially unrolled cloverleaf which is designed to have less weaving than a cloverleaf.

Cloverleafs have entranced followed by exits which is what causes weaving. This junction doesn’t.

Where do you see the weaving? This is a partially unrolled cloverleaf which is designed to have less weaving than a cloverleaf.

Cloverleafs have entranced followed by exits which is what causes weaving. This junction doesn’t.

It's not there. That's why I asked if it would be an issue, so to mitigate more complex design was selected.

grogi wrote: »

It's not there. That's why I asked if it would be an issue, so to mitigate more complex design was selected.

Ah right. See what you mean. Cloverleafs as you say need a lot of space. This design IMO is suitable and will have a very high capacity. The land take isn’t huge either.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Limerick74

No mention of M20 in the budget!

Limerick74 wrote: »

M20 would be mentioned in the expenditure announcement following the budget. This hasn't been announced yet

Donohue says there will be an increase in capital spending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

M20 would be mentioned in the expenditure announcement following the budget. This hasn't been announced yet

They mentioned the fekcing Sallins bypass...jaysus.

Albeit in confunction with Oberstown...

aywwo9.jpg

my point was that you can't build the M40 to Killeens before you rebuild the tunnel interchange, otherwise much of the M20 traffic will end up at an already congested junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Who makes the expenditure announcement? Does it come from Donohue today or is it from the Dept of Transport / TII in a few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Capital spending has been increased by €790 million for 2018, a very welcome and long overdue boost. No idea who's getting what though.

Advertisement